Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
millhousebc
Minors (Double A)

Will this work?

Posted this into the OOTP16 forum, but no response yet, so.........

Kinda stumbled into this, but it has me excited. Have a MLB style league, with full minors. Added an NCAA league, that will feed the MLB draft. As I was playing around with the league settings, notice I could create a HS league for my NCAA college league. So HS will feed the NCAA with a draft every year, and the NCAA will feed the MLB with their draft.

In theory, this should work, but is there any pitfalls that I may be missing, before I continue to devote hours to the project. League file get too big ect.

Any insight is welcomed.

millhousebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yes, in theory, it works that way. The HS players will go to both to the draft and to college. College players go to the draft.

The league file will get bigger, yes, but I wouldn't let that stop you. I haven't done this in a while in a solo league, so I don't have any immediate feedback on pitfalls.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

edit - TribeFanInNC posted while i was typing --- but here's my thoughts

high school will feed NCAA in theory, but those players are also draft eligible. only if they don't get drafted do they (in theory) go on to college. At least, that's how i recall it worked when i used feeder leagues, which i don't anymore ... have enough players so quit using the feeder system for my particular world.

good luck. hopefully someone with better insight can add to (or correct) my observations.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 07-11-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add edit note
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
hopefully someone with better insight can add to (or correct) my observations.
I hate to be that someone (to correct), but unless the online manual is out of date:
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Further thought: I think what happens is, "graduates" from both High School and NCAA are made eligible for the amateur draft. Undrafted HS players will hang around in the free agent pool for a year and become eligible for next year's draft, but they don't "go to college."

Now, "someone with better insight can add to (or correct) my observations."

- Bru

Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Good point Bru. I think it is possible both are somewhat correct. There is no way to make feeder league directly feed another feeder league* (i.e. you can't make a middle school feeder where all the players directly go to a high school feeder league). All feeder players are eligible for the draft, regardless if HS or college, like in real life. But some HS players do go to college. I guess I forget exactly how it works though...if it is just certain specific players that go to college or if it is all the unsigned or undrafted HS players by default. My guess is it would have to be only a certain number otherwise colleges might have 103 players on each team.

* Say that 5 times fast...
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you see stats from both feeder leagues on one player, then you know it's working that way.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Further thought: I think what happens is, "graduates" from both High School and NCAA are made eligible for the amateur draft. Undrafted HS players will hang around in the free agent pool for a year and become eligible for next year's draft, but they don't "go to college."

Now, "someone with better insight can add to (or correct) my observations."
Some, not all, undrafted/unsigned HS 'graduates' will go on to college.

In leagues with draft pick signing and feeders I think, not 100% sure, that most if not all drafted but unsigned HS players go on to College.

Last edited by byzeil; 07-11-2016 at 12:27 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Some, not all, undrafted/unsigned HS 'graduates' will go on to college.

In leagues with draft pick signing and feeders I think, not 100% sure, that most if not all drafted but unsigned HS players go on to College.
Excellent. Good to know, thanks. They really should update the online manual in every aspect.

- Bru

Old 07-12-2016, 12:51 AM   #10
RaUni
Banned

You can make a feeder feed a feeder. You just have to create it as a normal league then have it feed whatever.(not the option from the drop down) But you must have the lowest level be from that drop down menu if you want the created guys to automatically be made and have no fake HS/COL stats.

I created a college from create fictional league. I made that feed my majors from settings. Then i created a HS feeder from the drop down for that specific college league and the players are created with no history. I might even have my majors feed a 36+ age old timers league. You just use the option to create a real league and not the auto feeder option. Set age requirements and go. Oh, one other downside is when you make them normal leagues to start, the only option to enter the draft is after the age cutoff. No early jr or sophmore eligible guys.

Only down side i believe is they all have to be drafts, cant specifically feed them to a league as free agents. But i didnt play with that too much.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited by RaUni; 07-12-2016 at 01:27 AM.
RaUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaUni View Post
You can make a feeder feed a feeder. You just have to create it as a normal league then have it feed whatever.(not the option from the drop down) But you must have the lowest level be from that drop down menu if you want the created guys to automatically be made and have no fake HS/COL stats.

I created a college from create fictional league. I made that feed my majors from settings. Then i created a HS feeder from the drop down for that specific college league and the players are created with no history. I might even have my majors feed a 36+ age old timers league. You just use the option to create a real league and not the auto feeder option. Set age requirements and go. Oh, one other downside is when you make them normal leagues to start, the only option to enter the draft is after the age cutoff. No early jr or sophmore eligible guys.

Only down side i believe is they all have to be drafts, cant specifically feed them to a league as free agents. But i didnt play with that too much.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
This.
But
I think you the best option is make the college league a second major league that will feed into your majors. USE correct sabermetric values for player creation.
Then make a high school feeder for your college. It will run its normal course.
This way you can Also create free agents for your college league to sign like recruiting if you want Even IFA .

Last edited by sprague; 07-12-2016 at 06:19 AM.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote