Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
millhousebc
Minors (Double A)

Off-season

What are some of the things you guys do to become more involved in the off season. Just offering contracts and simming to the next day seems to lack the feel of the off season. I'm putting all the unsigned draft picks back on their college/feeder teams, but other than that it's click, sim, click sim repeat.

Any tips or ideas would be great.
millhousebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

first few days of the off-season i start playing "trader Jack" and get rid of as many unhappy or under performing players i can - for prospects or draft picks.

when free agency starts, i look for a bargain or two to fill specific needs, but rarely will sign anyone that costs a 1st round draft pick.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

So how do you define "under performing" players? I usually focus in on minor league players who have been around 3-5 years. If their career total WAR is less than 0.4 - 0.7, then I release them. I figure I need to clear 30-35 roster spots in order to accommodate draft influx.
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
So how do you define "under performing" players? I usually focus in on minor league players who have been around 3-5 years. If their career total WAR is less than 0.4 - 0.7, then I release them. I figure I need to clear 30-35 roster spots in order to accommodate draft influx.
i am playing semi-historical - right now, in the dead-ball era (1913), so under performing players to me are guys who hit below .250, or starters that just don't put up numbers, either RBIs, runs scored, homers, stolen bases, etc ... i feel i can find the same or better players in my farm system, or some free agents cheaper.

i also get rid of players that start to age in my minors with little or no chance for advancement. i don't keep anyone in A or AA older than 25.

otherwise i do like you, except i don't use WAR just stats and how they are trending. my draft is only 10 rounds.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 06-16-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarification
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Trade players yes ... look for improvement on personal front minors and my staff. Look for minor league FA as well and big league players
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

my favorite offseasons are when i am done by december and i can sim to spring training, lol.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I also look forward to voting for HOF and learning the results of the voting. Cant wait till we can do that for other awards too
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

At the beginning of the offseason I handle contracts for both personnel and arbitration-eligible players. I start looking at free agents once players file around the end of November.

In addition to free agents I look for independent league players that I might be interested in signing. I also set my minor league rosters in between the yearly scouting update in January and the preseason in early February.

I find it hard to keep up with the league news as it takes much effort to maintain my own organization.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Prune down my minor league teams (the aging or no promise ones). Negotiate extensions with those on my MLB club I want to keep.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I like to limit myself to 3 actions per day so I feel everyday matters.

It also adds some realism that I can't do everything in one day.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
I like to limit myself to 3 actions per day so I feel everyday matters.

It also adds some realism that I can't do everything in one day.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

there's no delegation in your organization?
Old 06-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #12
Anyone
Major Leagues

There are also some things that by default happen during the season that you can through the league settings move to the offseason to make it more lively, such as the international amateur FA reveal (at least as I recall by default that happens during the season; but in my universe it's an offseason thing).
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyone View Post
There are also some things that by default happen during the season that you can through the league settings move to the offseason to make it more lively, such as the international amateur FA reveal (at least as I recall by default that happens during the season; but in my universe it's an offseason thing).
that's a great idea! although do you run into issues since it coincides with Free agency? budgets, singingns anything related.