Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #521
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (Weekly Award)

Outside of his batting average, this is a pretty weak line for a Player of the Week nod. But, we will dance and rejoice despite that fact - Homer, who we will not resign in the offseason, gave a good account of himself last week. And we, for our part, went a ho-hum 3-3 during that stretch... and finish the week at #12 on the weekly power rank.

Name:  Homer PoTW.png
Views: 168
Size:  98.0 KB

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #522
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwoo View Post
Yes, I totally agree – Ghosteen is a formidable achievement and, along with the National’s ‘I’m Easy to Find’, is one of the best I’ve heard in 2019. The closing track, ‘Hollywood’, while long, is really something special.
I listened to the new album by The National when it first came out and then somehow forgot about it and haven't listened to it since.
And that's no knock on the album, just a product of my middle-aged brain failing to retain information.
So...re-listening right now.
I have long been a fan of the band- I believe their output has been consistently superior, kind of like a baseball player who gets under-valued because he quietly goes out and puts up good season after good season with little fanfare- and am particularly fond of their Alligator/Boxer period. (The Geese of Beverly Road is one of my favorite songs.)

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #523
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I listened to the new album by The National when it first came out and then somehow forgot about it and haven't listened to it since.
Don't sleep on the National... Cincinnati's favorite sons always have something snappy up their sleeves.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #524
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/7 – 8/9)

Miami United (55-58, .487, 4th NL East) @ Philadelphia 76ers (61-50, .550, 2nd NL East)
I once asked Philadelphia’s GM, Dylan Edmonston, how he and his family were getting on in Philadelphia. He replied with a curt no comment… and, when I told him that his secret was safe with me, he replied with a more forceful and indignant, no comment. In any other circumstance, I would’ve taken offense to his lack of confidence in my discretion… but, Philly, and it’s less-than-adoring fans all seem to know a guy who knows a guy that overheard every conversation that involves one of their beloved sports franchises and anything bad about their hometown. Wannabe gangsters in scally caps with Yuengling-fueled dad bod and some leftover cheesesteak lodged in their hipster beards… they know more than the experts, are a capable set of second-guessers, and live to tell you all about it – at full alcohol-fueled volume & with the most colorful language available. So, yeah – always a pleasure to play in Philadelphia, against P-Squared and his merry band of bootleg mobsters, and in front of the nicest fans a visiting club can hope to interface with. Side note: Philly has the 4th rated offense in the NL, they’re pretty good at hitting baseballs, and their staff is as sturdy as they come – we’re 1-9 against these guys in 2079, so, I expect a harrowing few days filled with smash-mouth baseball and a great group of fans whispering sweet nothings into my ear…

114 of 162: Kordell Littles (6-10, 4.64) @ Vin Uhlman (10-8, 5.67)
Win, 6-3
. Let’s go ahead and make that head-to-head record 2-9, shall we folks? Kordell gave us 7.1 innings, allowed 6 hits and 2 runs, and fanned 7 batters, and Kyle Weaver hit two two-baggers, scored, and drove a run in. We got a couple of RBIs from C Rico Sosa, and 1 each from Anaconda, Homer, and Donavan Taylor. 3 doubles, 2, 2-out RBIs, a SAC FLY, and a stolen base for Aris. Palmer was held mostly in check – he went 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run, and his merry band of bootleg mobsters failed to collect their cut from local businesses and instead left this one empty-handed.

Elsewhere: LF Arthur Grant went 3 for 4 and hit a GRAND SLAM for Vancouver in their 13-2 win over the Seattle Sounders – Grant is batting .276 with 12 dingers on the year. Since 2075, when he went off for 35 Home Runs, Grant has hit no more than 24 in a single season. A classic contract year cash grab – good on him for maximizing his talent before settling into a more pedestrian brand of baseball. Also, after a nearly two-year absence, Otto Isaac was back in the lineup for the Los Angeles Kings – he went 1 for 4 with a walk and 2 K’s in his 2079 debut. The King is back, people, long live the King.

115 of 162: Rad Taylor (3-1, 3.31) @ Logan Maldonado (11-5, 3.03)
Loss, 8-1
. In the last game, we had Philly working off their back and trying to avoid the shots we were threatening to rain down on them from the top position – in this one, on their back early, Philly caught us with a fierce upkick that put us off balance for the remainder of the contest. Maldonado pitched a complete game, 8-hit, 1-run game, C Carson McDonough hit a GRAND SLAM off Rad in the bottom of the 4th (Taylor gave up 8 runs in this one), and, even though Palmer left 5 runners stranded, Philly scored on us seemingly at will. This is one of those games where, try as you might, you’ll struggle to come up with any positives to highlight, so, we will, instead just put it in the rearview and show up for more punishment tomorrow.

116 of 162: Radoslav Borovsky (8-7, 3.50) @ Wilson Pena (7-2, 2.75)
Win, 3-2
. Well, what do you know about that? A rare, road-series victory over the Philadelphia 76ers… Radoslav was lifted early, handing it to the pen after 5.1 innings of work, Harvey Allen picked up his 19th Save, and Donavan Taylor’s 2-run dinger in the top of the second ended up being the difference-maker here. Two doubles, a homer, a SAC FLY, and a stolen base for the good guys… we’re now 4-4 so far on our 11-game road trip and head all the way to LA to get a look at the Galaxy next. Ian Hanan, Pepper Grant, Case Tunnell, and Steven Barbaccia could all make an appearance – it’ll be a reunion of sorts…

Note: Strangely enough, or perhaps not, we’ve plummeted to 5th in the NL East due to a 3-game winning streak by Brooklyn. Don’t worry, we’ll get our spot back – those Brooklyn boys are perpetrating a fraud, we’ve already alerted the 87th precinct, and Dennis Farina is on the case.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #525
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/11 – 8/13)

Miami United (57-59, .491, 5th NL East) @ Los Angeles Galaxy (52-61, .460, 5th AL West)
The Galaxy last made it to a world series in 2077. It was their second attempt at adding a second championship to their trophy cabinet – but, they were beaten, handily, by the Los Angeles Lakers during my watch. It was the second of two titles I oversaw during my tenure in LA and was my crowning achievement as a baseball GM. They missed the playoffs the following year, narrowly, and look all the worse for wear this season as they are trending towards their worst finish since the 2072 season when they finished with a .426 winning percentage. The club is in serious trouble – their solid roster doesn’t look so solid, they’re attracting ~6k fewer fans per game, and are mired in a 17.5% decline in revenue. Something’s got to give… and if the rumors of a 2080 rebrand hold water, I fear that it won’t be enough to attract the kind of attention required to keep their owner happy. The struggle is real for the LA Galaxy… In other news, because I had prepaid my rent in LA prior to taking Elvira up on her most generous offer, Cheech and I decided to stay in my Condo during this trip instead of the hotel – but, when we arrived to the smell of Pasta Puttanesca near the entrance, I knew someone was in my place. In fact, I told Cheech as much, and between my relating to him that I had a pretty good idea who it was and my ask of him that he put his handgun away, I asked him where he got that thing and why he was carrying it… lucky for him, Loretta opened the door before he could answer and invited us in. First, the pasta was great, and, second, she resigned as the head of my crackerjack investigative staff… without getting into too much detail it seems that, in addition to her days as a Roller Derby queen, her days & nights as a not-so-private detective were coming to an end. She had a new opportunity but wouldn’t go into much detail about it – something to do with Minnesota, general management, and Shawna Betts. 2080 could be an interesting season for the North Stars… let’s just leave it at that.

117 of 162: Murray Wagner (4-5, 4.01) @ Marco Ortega (8-12, 3.52)
Win, 4-2
. Marco Ortega pitched a complete game, but his offense couldn’t make up the four runs he’d let cross the plate, Murray went 8 strong innings in which he only allowed 4 hits and 2 runs, and Harvey Allen secured his 29th save of the season. Pepper went hitless, Hanan went 1 for 4, and our own Anaconda drove in the go-ahead run during the top of the 7th. There an odd satisfaction from earning a win that, by all accounts, you’re supposed to get – it feels like you are doing the right things, taking steps forward, and that your plan is being well executed. It’s a feeling that has been fleeting this season in Miami, so, when it comes, you stand up and bask in the glow.

Elsewhere: C Dom Cooke, from the other Los Angeles based ball club, hit two home runs and registered 5 RBIs in the Kings’ 6-2 win over the Green Bay Packers. Otto scored during the game but is still only hitting .211 so far. Jo Jo Jackson went 3 for 5 with two doubles, another HR, and 5 RBIs in Dallas’ 11-7 win over the St. Louis Rams – Jo Jo is now in sole possession of the HR lead at 35 while Aitor Cubas, of the Seattle Sounders, is sitting at 32 so far. CF Mortecai Flenderson, the once and future King, went 5 for 6 with an RBI from the leadoff spot for his Chula Vista Terrapins during their extra-inning, walk-off win over the visiting Fairbanks Emperors. Shoutout to LOW for creating such great kits…

Name:  Mortecai.PNG
Views: 175
Size:  240.2 KB

118 of 162: Thomas Deane (7-8, 5.30) @ Oswald Johnson (6-8, 4.96)
Loss, 5-2
. Oswald gave us the business for 8 innings and survived a 3 for 3 performance from Homer Wingard in the process. Pepper went hitless again, Hanan got another hit and scored, and our club, the same one I felt so good about yesterday, stood idly by and watched LA run roughshod over us while leaving 8 batters stranded. Anaconda hit a double and a SAC FLY – so, there is that. He didn’t get all dressed up for nothing… everyone else, though? Suspect.

Elsewhere: Los Angeles Kings DH, Mark Gibbons, took his designation to heart today and went 4 for 4 with THREE doubles, a homer, 6 RBIs and 3 runs in LA’s 10-8 win over the Green Bay Packers. Otto went 1 for 5 and scored a run during the contest. My bookie set the over/under at two hits for his next game – oh ye of little faith… you know I put a grand on the over, through a 3rd party, because I have faith in my boy – now that he’s eating meat again, the sky is the limit. Pablo Madera, 1B for the Carolina Panthers, went 2 for 2 with 2 walks, 2 bombs, 3 RBIs, and 4 runs in his clubs 10-4 win over the San Francisco Seals – I don’t talk about this guy much, but he is an absolute beast… he’s batting .378 with 22 ding dongs and 81 riblets, and is trending to finish at a WAR of 8.5 – he’s a dark horse MVP candidate, don’t sleep on this guy.

119 of 162: Kordell Littles (7-10, 4.51) @ Case Tunnell (5-9, 4.85)
Win, 8-6
. LA chased Kordell out of this one early, he could only muster up 3 innings of work here, and things were looking pretty grim until Donavan Taylor drew a run-scoring walk to put us up 7-6 in the top of the 8th. Anaconda would drive one more in on a triple before we were done, and, Case Tunnell, doing his own Kordell impersonation, also left before the 4th inning was complete after allowing 5 runs and handing out two free passes. We battled, kept moving forward, and got ourselves another series win on the road – our flight back to Miami, where we will face off against the Golden State Warriors for a 3-game set, will be filled with partying youngsters, bass-heavy tunes, and more than a few sordid tales of their time in LA over these last three days. A small price to pay for a series win you ask me… Also, Otto went 1 for 4 today and I’m out $1,000 crispy $1 bills. This is why gambling is bad, kids.

Notes: We’re now only a single game behind the St. Louis Rams for 3rd in our division, those charlatans from Brooklyn are back where they belong in 5th place in the NL East, and with STL mired in a 6-game losing streak the timing is perfect for bridging that gap in the standings – of course, we are facing a Golden State team next who has gone 8-2 over their last 10 games.

Last edited by pauwoo; 12-31-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:50 PM   #526
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/14 – 8/16)

Golden State Warriors (74-43, .632, 1st AL West) @ Miami United (59-60, .496, 4th NL East)
At +8 against the Pythagorean and 19-12 in 1-run games, the Warriors are making a living on outrunning their preseason expectations. Their pitching and defense have been phenomenal – they are as stout as it gets in that department, their ability here is not in question. It’s their hitting that gives the analytical types pause – they don’t really hit for average (11th), their power could be best compared to a base model Honda Civic (8th), and they don’t exactly run you off the field (7th in runs scored)… it seems to me that the representative from the bay area is living on borrowed time. They’re the marathon runner that made the mistake of going too hard, too early – and now we wait for them to, finally, run out of steam on the way up this last hill. The numbers all seem to point to a low-key collapse, when parsed out and pivoted it says that the fall is just right around the corner – so why hasn’t it happened yet? It could be the age-old axiom of, “you still have to play the games”, or, it could be that all the number-crunching prognosticators got it all wrong – maybe, just maybe, the current MLB setup is in the midst of a sea change where up is down & left is right. Or perhaps, and this is, in my estimation, the likeliest of scenarios, all these so-called experts really, when you get down to it, have no idea what they’re talking about. I’ve set up camp in the non-believer section of our baseball congregation, but even I, in all my petulant doubt, know that regardless of their stature as the best club in baseball, and regardless of what I think about it, they are still a better ball club than we are and this will still be a tough homestand. Same as it ever was, I suppose, they’re all tough home stands for us…

120 of 162: Nick Eley (0-2, 3.82) @ Rad Taylor (3-2, 4.27)
Win, 7-1
. We came out in this one like a Chrysler Imperial in a demolition derby – 500 lb/ft of torque, heavy as a caboose, and tough as nails… Golden State just wasn’t ready for us tonight. Rad went 6.1 innings, allowed 8 hits and fanned 3 – he’ll get the win here despite his control issues early in the 7th that led to 3 free passes, but the real story of this one is a 6-run bottom of the 2nd where Anaconda hit a bases-clearing double and Rico Sosa hit a 2-run double. 2B Len Iovino stole three bases, Homer stole one too, and we win here despite our 8 strikeouts. We’ve completed our arduous climb back to .500 on the season against the best club in baseball – now, and this is key, we’ll need to do it two more times if this is to be the start of something significant.

Elsewhere: RF Josh Largent, of your Havana Sugar Kings, went 3 for 5 with a double, 2 homers, 4 RBIs, and 2 runs in their 13-1 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets. Largent has spent the last few years in the 76ers system bouncing between their Hartford affiliate and the big club in Philly – he’s a multiple cups of coffee guy who just hasn’t been able to handle the caffeine. He gets all jittery in the box and operates at or below the Mendoza line when he’s flexing a major league kit – we got him as part of a trade earlier this year and have no illusions that he will ever reach the big club as an everyday type guy.

121 of 162: Michael Brisk (13-7, 3.54) @ Radoslav Borovsky (8-7, 3.49)
Loss, 8-0
. Brisky pitched an 8-inning, 8-hit shutout with only 2 K’s – content to let his defense join him at a buffet of weakly hit grounders, shallow pop-ups, and soft line drives. His stuff didn’t exactly blow us away, but, the battle-hardened vet mixed his pitches in expertly and kept our guys guessing. Homer went 3 for 4 and was stranded at 1st each time, we left 9 runners on base, and basically got slept by Brisky’s unique brand of mustache-twisting hypnosis. As anyone who navigates any of this useless drivel should well know, I’m a huge Brisky supporter – so, it’s nice to see your boy sitting at 14-7 with a 3.37 ERA as a critical component of a crackerjack staff with designs on winning the whole thing. If they can get it done it would be Brisk’s 3rd title… how does a 3-pitch guy command a $14-million-dollar salary and occupy the 2nd slot on one of the Majors top pitching staffs?

Name:  Brisky.png
Views: 127
Size:  271.4 KB

Elsewhere: In a closely contested AAA game, Adrian Bae, working in relief at 35-years old for the Columbus Blue Jackets, blew a save against the Havana Sugar Kings at home… He pitched 1 inning, gave up two hits and a run on 22 pitches with 2 K’s. While not noteworthy, per se, it is interesting to see Adrian still trying to hang on to his youthful dreams – after a stint in the Bush League in 2076, Adrian has bounced between AAA and the MLB for the last three seasons. I’ll be surprised if he’s not back in the Bush League next season, but, for now, it’s still Chicago or bust for the honorary Blues Brother of Strangeverse.

122 of 162: Ken Spears (10-8, 4.79) @ Murray Wagner (3.77)
Loss, 5-2
. Spears gave us nothing but grief for 8 innings and, while Murray was able to last for 6.2 innings, he gave up each of Golden State’s five runs… We got a double from Anaconda, a homer from Donavan, and Scharmer stole his 41st bag. All for naught though as we had it handed to us over the last two games – it would seem that Golden State, when squared off against a club like ours, is every bit as good as they say. A capable, well-oiled machine with a benefactor whose pride in ownership may pay the largest of dividends when the book on 2079 is closed. It would be silly to anoint the Golden State Warriors as our 2079 champion, it’s much too early for that kind of hyperbole, but it would be a huge mistake to count them out.

Notes: We’re on that 1 step forward, 2 steps back trajectory it seems, and now find ourselves back in 5th in the NL East, behind the Brooklyn Citizens by half a game, and a full 2 ½ games off of the 3rd place Rams’ pace.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-01-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #527
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 (8/18 – 8/20)

Miami United (60-62, .492, 4th NL East) @ Brooklyn Citizens (59-61, .492, 5th NL East)
During my years spent toiling in LA, I had the Phoenix Suns as my rival – an omnipresent foil and the stick by which we measured our success. Brooklyn, despite the fact that they shot themselves in the foot during our day off, and even though we are 11-4 in head-to-head matchups against them this year, will occupy that space for us quite nicely, I think. We don’t like them. They, in turn, don’t get all warm and fuzzy when we enter the room. So, while certainly not a battle of behemoths, they’ll do nicely as our huckleberry, and, if we’re lucky we’ll continue to be quicker on the draw during this 3-game set. We’ve been living in the margins so far – our +2 rating against the Pythagorean and -32 rDiff tells the story of a club whose good fortune far outweighs its level of talent, while Brooklyn, after the fire sale I’ve detailed several times already, is right where they are supposed to be. So, here we are, in Brooklyn, with full lodge and board, to do battle against our self-appointed rival – in the most unsexy of matchups on the other side of the ides of August. It’s all everything bagels and garlic cream cheese from here on out – served up by an aging hipster who bides his time between sipping craft brews, pinky up, and the grooming of his statement beard.

123 of 162: Thomas Deane (7-9. 5.36) @ Dylan Tuyay (9-10, 5.05)
Loss, 5-4
. Brooklyn petitioned the league to require that we didn’t wear our black caps for this series under the guise of it being too confusing for fans in the upper decks. So, because we do what we’re told when the league office is involved, we acquiesced and donned our pink crowns – and, in addition to looking ridiculous in our Bubbalicious inspired lids are now 0-1 while wearing them. Deane gave us 5 innings of work, allowed 3 hits and 3 runs, but was lifted after doling out his 4th free pass of the game. He just hasn’t been able to tap into his A-game with any regularity… Kyle Weaver brought his stick and went 3 for 3 with a run scored, Rico, Magee, and Anaconda each drove in a run, and we managed to field an expertly crafted double play that betrayed the fact that our defense is shoddy.

124 of 162: Kordell Littles (7-10, 4.76) @ Hunter Larson (3-7, 5.22)
Win, 7-1
. Before the game, Kordell told one of the sideline reporters, a Ms. Peggy Cameron, former Team USA Softball standout, that he preferred our pink crowns to the standard black we normally wear. And, despite finding himself alone on that island, managed to style it competently during his 7.1 inning performance where he allowed only 3 hits and 1 run while fanning 5 citizens. Iovino hit a 3-run dinger, Homer smashed a 2-run jack of his own, Magee hit a triple, his 4th of the year, and we got another tip-top double play. We did what was required of us today – managed to exact some small measure of revenge after last night, have pulled ourselves back into a tie with these guys, and now have an opportunity to push them below the surface of the water in the rubber match tomorrow.

Name:  Vice City Kordell.png
Views: 118
Size:  143.2 KB

Elsewhere: Cleveland Cornejo, after washing out of Chicago’s farm system at 32-years old in May, signed with the Mississippi Hound Dogs a mere 17 days later… he’s gone 6-4 with a 2.39 ERA since joining the Bush League club and pitched 6 innings of shutout baseball in his new home’s 6-0 win over the Shreveport Sashimi Samurai… Cleveland went 24-54 with a 4.97 ERA in his 6 years as a major leaguer, including his record-setting 17-loss season in 2073. It’s a dubious distinction, sure, but it’s his. A scarlet letter earned as punishment for convincing his Skipper to keep putting him out there, I suppose.

125 of 162: Radoslav Borovsky (8-8, 3.49) @ Matthew Krebs (13-8, 4.44)
Win, 10-2
. Unlike Kordell, Radoslav has made no bones about telling anyone within earshot about his displeasure of being forced to wear our Bubbalicious lid, but, like Kordell, he wore it today in the style and grace of a world-class ballet dancer. Look, he’s no Baryshnikov, but, over the course of his 7 innings of work today (where he allowed only 2 hits while fanning 8), I would’ve had a tough time telling the difference between the two. Anaconda slithered his way to a 3 for 5 performance at the plate and touched Krebs up for a double, a homer, and 5 RBIs, and Scharmer hit a 3-run blast of his own. So, in addition to Borovsky’s sublime pirouettes on the mound, we hit 4 two-baggers, two homers, recorded 3, 2-out RBIs, ripped a tasty SAC FLY, and took possession of 4th on the NL East table once and, hopefully, for all. Unless we can will ourselves into 3rd place – I’d be cool with that too.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-01-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #528
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/22 – 8/23)

Elsewhere: While we were busy with travel and relaxation on our day off, Angry Eloy, of the Mississippi Hound Dogs, kept himself busy by going 3 for 4 with 2 HRs, 4 RBIs, and 3 runs in his clubs 10-9 win over the Nolanville ‘Nauts. Both clubs are currently in 2nd of their respective divisions (Nolanville in the Independence Division and Tupelo in the Justice Division) and looking to solidify their standing as an eventual playoff club. Eloy is now tied for the Bush League lead in HRs and RBIs with Shreveport’s Thomas Torin. It should be noted here that Torin spent 16 years in the MLB before signing with Shreveport during the offseason – he had a lifetime .232 with 204 HRs and 741 RBIs, was a 1-time all-star in 2074 while in Montreal and won a title in Seattle during the 2073 season.

Miami United (62-63, .496, 4th NL East) @ Pittsburgh Steelers (70-54, .565, 1st NL East)
We’re somewhat fortunate here – while it’s never a great time for our bootleg brand of ragtag baseball to face the Steelers, that we’re are getting them for only two, Franzone-free, games here is something to feel good about. Adding to our good fortune is the fact that we will also miss the return of Big Tom Franzone by about 7 days… which is not to say that his absence makes us the favorite here, it just means that we are, ever so slightly, less likely to get our doors blown off. Pittsburgh has, in my estimation, a very good shot at winning their first title since the 2020 season when they beat the Carolina Panthers in a thrilling 7-game series. That club, like this one, was built on superior pitching… the difference, however, is that this version of Pittsburgh pairs that top-flight staff with a nearly equally great offense that is 1st in HRs and 4th in runs scored. At full strength, had they not lost the Notorious B.I.G.-T. due to a broken collarbone, most baseball insiders would be giving them more of the ink that’s been reserved for the Golden State Warriors so far this season. Pittsburgh isn’t a dark horse in the traditional sense – they are THE horse, pulled from a few races due to fatigue, that’s back in the stables and primed to kick up some dust.

126 of 162: Rad Taylor (4-2, 3.99) @ Steve Allen (3-10, 5.82)
Loss, 4-3
. As it turns out, Elvira is a big supporter of our Bubbalicious lids… she’s declared that they are to be, from this moment forward, our away cap. As such, the mood in our clubhouse is mixed… Rad gave a good account of himself today, pink cap included, and gave us a solid 8-inning outing that was undone by a late run from Pittsburgh in the bottom of the 8th inning that put them up for good. He was saddled with the loss here – Donavan did his level best to keep it competitive, his 2-run homer in the top of the 2nd gave us the lead until we squandered it with a series of poor at-bats until Rad’s command gave out during the aforementioned bottom of the 8th. We’re now 2-2 as pink tops and 8-7 head-to-head against Pittsburgh.

Elsewhere: Big loss for the Golden State Warriors… LF Severino Serrano is out for the rest of the season after fracturing his ankle in a tilt against the Seattle Sounders. To add insult to injury, Seattle won the contest by a score of 5-2 and Ethan Mullens went 3 for 4 with a 2-run, two-bagger, and a run. Frodo ventured out of the Shire long enough to hit a solo home run of his own during the game and now has amassed 18 HRs in 2079, his best as a Major Leaguer by 4.

127 of 162: Murray Wagner (5-6, 4.08) @ Gregory Morgan (12-9, 4.19)
Win, 7-0
. Murray Wagner had his breakout game as a starter – he went the distance, allowed six hits, handed out 4 free passes, and fanned 7 without a single run finding its way home for Pittsburgh. It’s a tale of two clubs – the one who fizzled out after the 2nd inning last night and this, smashmouth version that takes the mount and pounds you like a savage until the ref steps in to pull them off. Scharmer went 2 for 4 with a 2-run dinger, Magee secured three RBIs on 2 for 5 hitting, Len hit a SAC BUNT, and we pilfered three bags as a unit. This one was a complete and thorough shellacking courtesy of the pink tops.

Elsewhere: 1B Arnold Webster (VAN) went 3 for 3 with 2 HRs, 3 RBIs, 3 runs, and 2 walks in the Giants’ 10-8 loss against the Los Angeles Galaxy – his effort was thwarted by CF Julian Wagner’s 3 for 4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, and 4 run effort for the Galaxy. Phoenix destroyed the Houston Dynamo by a score of 12-0 in a game that included no home runs – they made up for it in doubles (6 total with 2x for Norton Manning and some guy called Steve Ericson), SAC FLIES (Declan Liles & Jacob Wells), and swiped bags (CF Jason Bland & SS Ray Gerhold). In International League action, SP Howard Min was at it again for the Columbus Bluejackets in a complete game, 2-hitter where he kept the San Jose Sharks scoreless while fanning 13 hapless batsmen. And, finally, in Bush League action, RF Cannon Leatherman, of the Shreveport Sashimi Samurai went 2 for 4 with 2 jacks (both solo), 3 runs, and a walk during their 6-4 win over the Gainesville Gamecocks. Oh, and, I guess there is just one more thing – the fall of the Golden State Warriors may, finally, be upon us… they’ve lost their last two games, both against Seattle, by a combined score of 12-4 while Phoenix has been on a tear and, after taking their last two off of Houston, find themselves within one game of earning the top record in all of baseball.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 AM   #529
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/25 – 8/27)

Miami United (63-64, .496, 4th NL East) @ Montreal Wanderers (57-70, .449, 6th NL East)
While we’ve busied ourselves by proving our fitness in the tread water test, the Wanderers have failed the 2079 PADI certification test so far this season… they haven’t been able to tread water, bob, or float so far despite having an above-average pitching staff. The problem has been their offense – it’s essentially an ankle weight that makes it impossible for the club to complete the last two minutes of the test where you must continue to bob with both hands out of the water. They, unlike us, appear to be a few seasons away from possible contention – unless, of course, they go on a spending spree to acquire top tier talent in free agency and a clubhouse decompression chamber to prevent them from getting the bends as a result of their rapid ascension to the top of the pops. This is a club that barely missed the playoffs in ’77 & ’78, posting a .531 and .549 winning percentage during those campaigns, respectively. Which, interestingly, is the same winning percentage (.549 not .531) that they posted in 2076 when they made it to the dance (only to be bounced out of the 1st round by the then NL Vancouver Whitecaps. So, note to self, good pitching, when paired with a sub-par offense, is not how you win ballgames… this is good to know given that our charter in 2079 is to pair a ho-hum pitching staff with an equally ho-hum offense to achieve decidedly ho-hum results…

128 of 162: Kordell Littles (8-10, 4.57) @ Nat Millard (4-6, 3.13)
Loss, 7-5
. Well, in this one both starters sucked and, with the chips down, the Montreal offense proved to be the more potent of the two – RF Mack Ramirez drew two walks and went 1 for 2 with a double and 2 RBIs for Montreal while our own Donavan Taylor hit a 3-run homer in the top of the 3rd that, judging by Montreal’s average output, should have been all she wrote… Homer and Kyle each drove in a run. Homer’s came on a SAC FLY, Oli hit a double, and despite all of that goodness we still left 6 runners stranded and had a loss charged to our permanent record by the worst club, record-wise, in our division. We’re writing our own book of longing here, folks…

Elsewhere: Otto Isaac, a former disciple of a recently disgraced yogi that shall remain nameless, went 2 for 4 with a GRAND SLAM in LA’s 8-4 win over the Minnesota North Stars. This was easily Otto’s best game since returning – he’s now batting .254 with 4 HRs and 8 RBIs… baby steps, people, baby steps. 1B Eric Harter, of the Toronto Reds BC, went 4 for 4 with two HR’s, 3 RBIs, and 3 runs in his clubs 11-3 win over the Carolina Panthers – that’s the good news. The bad? He was injured running the bases in the 8th inning… diagnosis pending. Also, the win moved Toronto into a 2-way tie for 2nd place on the AL East table with… you guessed it, Carolina. We’ll see how long that lasts without Harter – one of the better young sticks in the game. And, lastly… this one stings a bit – Big Burt McElheny, of the Vancouver Giants, has sustained an ulnar nerve entrapment and, as a result, will miss the remainder of the 2079 campaign. The citizenry of Vancouver is holding a memorial service for their lost 2079 season tomorrow – services will be held at Lion’s Gate Park at 2PM PST and is open to the public. It’s bring your own maple syrup – so if you’re planning on having some waffles, consider yourself warned.

129 of 162: Radoslav Borovsky (9-8, 3.34) @ Julen Morales (6-12, 4.50)
Loss, 9-6
. Remember when I compared Montreal’s offense to an ankle weight whose only purpose was to keep the Wanderers from earning their PADI certification? No? Good, me neither. Today was a case of, ‘second verse, same as the first’, with both starters bringing their D-game to the table. CF Leo Bullock did it for Montreal this time – he went 3 for 4 with a double, a dinger, 4 RBIs, and 2 runs while the best individual performance we could offer as a rebuttal came from Aris Anaconda who finished the game 3 for 4 with an RBI and a run. We did steal two bags tonight though – so we lost the battle and the war but have a couple of keepsakes for our troubles.

Elsewhere: The Fargo Rallybirds defeated the Inglewood Sentinels by a score of 24-0 in Continental League action today… 2B Emiliano Oyoque went 2 for 2 with 2 HRs (one was a GRAND SLAM), 8 RBIs, 4 runs, and 4 walks in the win. His game score of 130 is the best in the CL this year by 24 pts. In fact, it’s the best individual game score in all of professional baseball by 20 pts.

130 of 162: Thomas Deane (7-10, 5.36) @ Hudson Dorsch (5-12, 3.40)
Win 4-3
. Okay – so, at least we didn’t get swept. Deane gave us 6 of the okayest innings a boy could ever want – he allowed 5 hits, 2 runs, handed out 4 free passes, and fanned 8 batters in the performance – and Kyle Weaver went 2 for 4 with a solo HR and 2 runs. Harvey Allen picked up his 31st save of the year, Magee stole his 41st bag, and we got the win despite committing two heinous errors during the bottom of the 4th.

Elsewhere: More injury silliness – 1st, our own Steve Green has suffered a setback in his recovery from a broken hand and will now miss at least 4 more months (which in 2079 time = forever). He’s going under the knife tomorrow – had he went with the inexpensive doctor I found for him in Tijuana this wouldn’t have happened… just sayin’. And, this one hurts my heart because it could spell the end for an all-time great of Strangeverse – SP Josiah Weber, at 41-years old, will miss 13-14 months with a torn flexor tendon. And, since the theme here seems to be bad news – we’re now 8 ½ games behind the St. Louis Rams and are tied for 4th with the Brooklyn Citizens, and have dropped to 15th on the weekly power ranking.

Player of the Week Winners: 3B Brantley Kirby (PDX) & Dontrell Gay (LAK)… who cares about their stats – let’s play who has the swankier ‘stache…

Name:  player_22111.png
Views: 117
Size:  17.7 KB | Name:  player_33461.png
Views: 117
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-04-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #530
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (8/28 – 8/30)

Philadelphia 76ers (71-59) @ Miami United (64-66, .492, 4th NL East)
After an 11-15 month in July, it seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel was moving further away with each loss… in August, where we have gone 11-11 so far, it’s like we’re walking on a moving sidewalk that is going in the wrong direction, a hamster on its wheel, where the light at the end of the tunnel is dimming, flickering like we’re in the midst of a thunderstorm. The 2079 season has not gone completely dark on us yet, but it’s getting there… and when you factor in that, after coming off an 8-game road trip, we will return home to face the Philadelphia 76ers it’s easy to feel like the end is, most assuredly, nigh. After their rip-roaring tricentennial campaign and the fire sale that followed, it would have been easy to dismiss the 76ers during the pre-season – they were, even with Palmer Parker on the roster, at least a year or two away from serious contention… but, that was then, and this is now. After a 15-10 July the 76ers started to take on the look of a serious ballclub, and, now that they’ve started off August on a 15-9 run, there are whispers that they may overtake the Pittsburgh Steelers to win the NL East. So, with the end of our runway rapidly approaching and our inability to get our Cessna up to speed, we are left with an opportunity to play the spoiler here – we can’t stop the 76ers, but we can make the road they have left to travel a bit bumpier and put their suspension to the test.

131 of 162: Jimmy Garcia (5-5, 3.98) @ Rad Taylor (4-3, 4.05)
Win, 5-0
. Project ruin everything for Philly is off to a rip-roaring start. Rad Taylor gave us a 4-hit, complete-game shutout where he fanned only 2 batters and walked none, and OH HONG, back from his injury-induced sabbatical went 4 for 4 with 2 RBIs and a run in his return to action. Kyle Weaver went 2 for 3 with a double, an RBI, a run, and a walk, we hit three doubles, a SAC FLY, and even saw Anaconda steal a base. Oh Hong, while fierce at the plate, did commit his 6th error of the season at 1st… and, Rad Taylor, who has gone 2-2 in his last 5 starts, put his second CG and first CG shutout on the books in this one. After 5 seasons spent toiling in the minors, it’s starting to look like his time has come.

Elsewhere: SP Ferdinand Loving, of the Toronto Reds BC, pitched a 4-hit, complete-game shutout with 10 K’s over the New York Jets. Toronto won the game by a score of 2-0 and now find themselves only 5 ½ games off the Chicago Fire’s pace in the AL East. SP Abe Meinecke hurled a 5-hit, complete-game shutout for the Houston Dynamo in an 8-0 win over the Minnesota North Stars. Abe is now 9-12 with a 3.20 ERA for the floundering Houston-based ball club. SP Cassidy Town, currently plying his trade in the IL with the Calgary Flames, pitched a 4-hit, complete-game shutout against the Sacramento Kings. With the 4-0 win, the Calgary Flames improve to 65-63 on the season and Cassidy improves to a 16-8 record with a 2.61 ERA. And, lastly, the Continental League playoffs start tomorrow – the Barbados Tridents, unfortunately, did not make the cut.

132 of 162: Vin Uhlman (10-11, 5.79) @ Murray Wagner (6-6, 3.58)
Loss, 5-0
. Philly picked themselves off the canvas in this one, caught us with a counter left hand, and put a bad one on us. They got a balanced contribution from their lineup today – 3B Jason Spears, 2B Cody Keenan, and LF Palmer Parker each contributed an RBI in the win. Murray got shelled early in this one – 3 innings, 9 hits, 5 earned, and 2 walks… and, Oh Hong committed his 7th error for the season and 2nd in as many days. Philly recorded a team shutout here with starter Vin Uhlman going 4.1 innings while RP Tim Gage lasted the other 4.2 innings.

Elsewhere: SP T-Rex Stiles, lead Timbales player on the Beuna Vista Social Club in Havana, gave the Sugar Kings an 8.1 inning, 7 hit, 0 earned, 0 walk, and 8 K performance. His effort had what the locals call verve. The Toronto Reds BC have made it official: Eric Harter is headed to the injured list. The 26-year-old first baseman has been out since 08/25/2079 with bone marrow edema in his wrist. He is expected to miss 5-6 weeks. According to the internet, ”A bone marrow edema — often referred to as bone marrow lesion — occurs when fluid builds up in the bone marrow. Bone marrow edema is typically a response to an injury such as a fracture or conditions such as osteoarthritis”. That sounds delightful…

133 of 162: Logan Maldonado (13-6, 3.15) @ Kordell Littles (8-10)
Win, 8-0
. Annnnnnndd, we’re back! Kordell picked up where Rad left off in a 4-hit, complete-game shutout where he fanned 13 batters, Homer went 2 for 4 with TWO NAMESAKES, 5 RBIs, and 2 runs, and Donavan Taylor hit a 2-run moonshot in the bottom of the 7th to put this one way out of reach for Palmer Parker & the Cheesesteaks… a double, a homer, 2 stolen bases, and 3, 2-out RBIs for the club today. Also, Oh Hong did not commit an error today – your boy is slowly getting his sexy back.

Elsewhere: SS Hamza McDonnell went 4 for 4 with a HR, 2 RBIs, 3 runs, and a walk in Toronto’s 9-5 loss against the New York Jets – he did his level best to make up for the loss of Eric Harter in this one, but his teammates just couldn’t be bothered to join in the fray. SP Hank Wilson, of the Charleston Shiners, pitched a 2-hit, complete-game shutout with 6 K’s in a 4-0 win over the Inglewood Sentinels. Charleston now has a commanding 2-0 series lead in the 1st round of the CL playoffs. Also, 3B George Thomson, of the Winnipeg Jets, went 3 for 4 with a double, a dinger, 3 RBIs, and 2 runs in his clubs 8-2 win over the Amarillo Armadillos. Say that three times fast… do it. With the road victory, Winnipeg now has an early 1-0 lead in their 5-game series. Angry Eloy Delando hit his 32nd DING DONG of the year for his Mississippi Hound Dogs – the league-leading blast came during an 11-10 loss in Coney Island to the Footlongs. With this hard-fought series victory against the 76ers we’ve put ½ games worth of distance between ourselves and Brooklyn and are now just 2 ½ games behind STL. Philly managed to move even closer to Pittsburgh – they are now just a single game away from overtaking the Steelers to top the NL East table.

Roster Expansion: We’re calling SP Funky Martin, SP Orlando Vasquez, 2B Early Felger, and 1B Magee Ives (who got sent back down upon OH HONG’s return) up to the big club. We’re calling up other guys as well – but these are the guys that I see making the big club one day. Well, maybe not Magee – I’ll probably trade his for some low-key prospects in the offseason.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #531
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/1 – 9/3)

San Francisco Seals (59-74, .444, 4th NL West) @ Miami United (66-67, .496, 4th NL East)
We’ll begin our shuffle to the finish line with sets against the Seals (@ home), Houston (OTR), and Los Angeles (@ home), before turning our attention back to our division rivals to close out the 2079 campaign. If I’m honest (and I always am – except during card games and in social media posts), this year hasn’t been a total loss – we are directionally in alignment with a promising future and if we have a successful offseason could contend as early as 2080. With the lowly Seals in town, a club that has struggled to juggle successfully for their fans (blame their lack of opposable thumbs), we have an opportunity to beat up on a National League weakling and improve our standing in the process. This, as always, is a welcome opportunity – any time you are fortunate enough to host a club that is ranked 9th in total offense and 10th in pitching after taking a series off the formidable Philadelphia 76ers you have to embrace it and hope for the best. Of course, our tendency to play down, and at times up, to the level of our competition gives me pause here, I am comfortable in the thought that we should handle the Seals relatively easily. We’re 37-26 against clubs with a worse record than our own so far, so, I see no reason why we should change anything now…

134 of 162: Landon Sampson (10-6, 4.57) @ Radoslav Borovsky (9-8, 3.35)
Loss, 3-2. Radoslav was just okay, Early Felger announced his return to the bigs with a solo HR, and Rico Sosa drove one in on a SAC FLY. We swiped a couple of bags, failed to capitalize on two San Francisco errors, and just found ourselves to be a few steps too slow in this contest. There’s really not much to say about this one – it’s too bad though as the Carnival Cruise Lines Ballpark was nearly at full capacity tonight and we, as always, failed to take advantage of the situation and didn’t exactly deliver an ROI that modern baseball fans have come to expect. We’re now 15-7 in Friday night games and 7-4 in Friday night games at home.

Elsewhere: 1B Benjamin Compton (CHI) went 3 for 3 with 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, and 5 runs in Chicago’s 18-2 win over the Vancouver Giants. Compton, a 3-time all-star, most recently in 2078, is batting .296 with 15 dingers and 76 RBIs in 2078 – his 3.8 trend in WAR would be his 3rd best of the last 5 seasons and at 31-years old it would appear that the 6’4” cattleman from Garland, Texas has settled into a pattern that should hold for at least another season or two. SP Newton Weiser (LAK) pitched a complete-game shutout in the Kings’ 5-0 win over the Philadelphia 76ers – Newton managed to record 6 K’s during his outing and now has 135 K’s on the year – he’s trending towards 163 K’s which would be his second-highest total in 3 major league seasons. SP RJ Adler, of the Charleston Shiners, closed out the Inglewood Sentinels in their opening-round series of the Continental League playoffs on a 3-hit, complete-game shutout with 9 K’s. Charleston won the series 3 games to none. And, lastly, I received word from Mack Noriega, Elvira’s bodyguard, that she would like to have a word with me about my expense account – it seems that my justification for the $1,000 Canadian Dollars I spent at the Chez Parée as a team-building event has come under some scrutiny. Partially because of the establishment’s sordid nature and partly because none of my players were in attendance.

135 of 162: Cathal Magill (8-9, 3.73) @ Thomas Deane (7-10, 5.26)
Loss, 2-0
. Cathal went the distance, shut the door in our face every time we even sniffed the plate, and sent 5 batters back to the dugout with their heads hung low in shame… Deane was serviceable, or better than that really, in 8.1 innings of work where he only allowed 1 runner to plate, but our offense, suddenly in shambles, was not up to the task. We only managed to get 3 hits today, Early Felger recorded 3 of the team’s K’s, and Deane committed an error on the mound that led to an unearned run.

136 of 162: Jan Hernandez (9-6, 4.12) @ Rad Taylor (5-3, 3.61)
Loss, 7-5
. Rad got shelled, our offense, while better, still was not up for the task at hand, and despite Homer Wingard’s two SAC FLIES, we were unable to avoid the sweep, at home, against one of the weaker clubs in our league. This was embarrassing, and, when you add in the fact that Elvira lit me up for my shoddy expense report and all but called me an ODB, this was not the best weekend I’ve had since securing employment with the Miami Baseball Club, LLC. At least she didn’t threaten to take the houseboat away…

Elsewhere: RF Jonah Dove, of the St. Louis Rams, has crossed the 2500-hit threshold and now has his name displayed among some of Strangeverse’s all-time greats. Dove is hitting .290 for his career and has 360 HRs and 1355 RBIs to go along with his 2500 hits. He won the Boyce Rigg in 2072, has made 9 all-star appearances, won 6 silver sluggers, and was the 2065 RoTY. He’s a lock for the Hall of Fame. Also, we’ve dropped to 19th on the weekly power rank. Because we’re not very good.

Name:  Jonah.PNG
Views: 112
Size:  153.1 KB

Old 01-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #532
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/4 – 9/6)

Miami United (66-70, .485, 5th NL East) @ Houston Dynamo (60-77, .438, 5th NL West)
After 7-straight losing seasons, the Dynamo’s existence in Houston is in jeopardy if reports are to be believed… it would seem that their owner, Victor Davies, is looking to cut bait and move his money into a business where he can grow his money for a change. That he’s not particularly concerned about the plans of any potential new owner and instead is looking to maximize what he earns in a potential sale, doesn’t necessarily bode well for the city of Houston. Of course, this is all just conjecture – built on the house of cards that sports journalism has constructed – but, it could mean that this would be our last trip to Houston as a Miami based ball club. Not ideal for us given that the trip to Houston is among our shortest – but, we’ll save our worries for those things that we can control. Houston, by every statistical measure, is one of the three worst clubs in the Majors. They are riddled with injuries, have a poor offense with a shaky lineup, and, while their pitching could be described as solid, it is inconsistent and often bad. We’re sitting at 3-1 against them in head-to-head matchups so far in 2079 – a meaningless trend coming off our sweep at the hands of the lowly Seals of San Francisco, but I’m running out of places to hang my hat at this point… so, coupled with the fact that they are 3-7 in their last ten games, it’s really all we have to go on at this point. Let’s hope it’s enough to get us back on track so we can close this campaign out as strongly as possible…

137 of 162: Murray Wagner (6-7, 4.03) @ Case Bond (0-0, 0.00)
Win, 7-3
. Now, this is more like it… Murray gave us an 8-inning, 2 earned run performance, OH HONG went 3 for 4 with a double and 3 RBIs, and Early Felger went 3 for 5 as well with an RBI and 3 runs. Felger also hit a SAC FLY and swiped a bag, and two of OH HONG’s RBIs came with two outs on the board. This was a fine, 15-hit performance from the Pink Tops – we chased Case Bond out of the game after only 1 inning of work and touched each of their relievers up for 1 or more runs before all was said and done. With performances like this in Space City, we sure will miss our time here if it is indeed coming to an end after the 2079 campaign.

Elsewhere: Dejuan Burns (CHI), a member of both of my championship-winning clubs, pitched a complete-game shutout against the Dallas Cowboys and fanned 8 batsmen is the Chicago Fire’s 11-0 victory. This is a nice feather in Dejuan’s cap – he’s still on the decline after leaving LA, and in fact this will be his 4th straight year of seeing a decline in his WAR if the trend holds but navigating the powerful Cowboys lineup is a difficult task for any pitcher.

138 of 162: Kordell Littles (9-10, 4.47) @ Bradley Hughes (4-4, 3.63)
Loss, 5-1
. We ended up on the wrong end of a vintage Bradley Hughes performance – the former stud went 7.1 innings and only allowed 5 hits and 1 run while mowing down 6… Kordell took his 11th L of the season and was responsible for each of Houston’s five runs, our only run was brought across by Early Felger from the leadoff spot, Anaconda went 0 for 4 with 4 K’s and Oli Woodward committed his 8th fielding flub of the season. One day we’re up, the next day we’re down – could be a pattern… not sure, I’ll have Cheech run some numbers.

Elsewhere: Seattle’s Frodo Gonzales went 5 for 6 with a GRAND SLAM and 3 runs in the Sounders’ 13-9 win over the Toronto Reds BC. This was Frodo’s second career GRAND SLAM. Not bad for a guy that isn’t known for his power… yet. He does have 22 jacks this year, a career-best by a 10 HR margin. RF Tony Voorhis (PHX) went 4 for 6 with 2, two-baggers, 6 riblets, and a run in the Suns’ 13-11 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. Tony’s 123 RBIs so far in 2079 are already a career-best and his 25 HRs is the best number he’s put up since he hit 34 in the 2076 season while he was a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And, lastly, the second round of the Continental League Playoffs are set with Amarillo (Jets affiliate), Little Rock (Toronto affiliate), Charleston (Minnesota affiliate), and Fargo (St. Louis affiliate) all making the grade. For reasons unknown to me - I'm pulling for Fargo... feels like that would be the good news story here.

139 of 162: Radoslav Borovsky (9-9, 3.38) @ Josiah Kawka (5-8, 5.76)
Loss, 6-5
. This is looking less like a limp to the finish and more like a military crawl to the finish with each passing game… Oliver and Early showed up – Oli with a 2 for 2 day that included a HR, 2 runs, and an RBI, and Early with a 2 for 4 day with 2 RBIs and a run. We battled for it, though, and hit a double and a homer in the game, but the real story here is that we hit into 3 double plays, left 8 runners stranded, got caught stealing three times, and committed two fielding errors. It just wasn’t our day…

Elsewhere: Heathcote Kinton (PDX) went 5 for 5 with a double, a HR, an RBI and 5 runs in Portland’s 12-4 win over the New York Jets. Heathcote is currently 4th in the league in WAR and has been the lynchpin for the Timbers top-rate offense in the American League. They are a dark horse contender to come out of the AL come playoff time.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-04-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #533
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/8 – 9/10)

Los Angeles Kings (75-64, .540, 2nd NL West) @ Miami United (67-72, .482, 5th NL East)
The Kings are a ghastly 28-43 on the road… while we are an ever so slightly above average 36-32 in our park. So, we should be the remedy to whatever it is that ails them on the road. Or not, you still have to play the games, right? Under Megan’s watchful eye, these Kings are built differently then they were when I was at the helm – they look to get on base, which is the goal for any good GM, but, once there, they aren’t really trying to wreck the base paths. I like that disruptive style of offense, personally, but, Meagan, as a GM at least, likes to take a more conservative approach to manufacturing runs. Of course, they haven’t really been at full strength for most of the 2079 campaign, and now, finally, at close to full strength, they’ve been on something of a tear. 7-3 in their last 10, and, while they are still 9 games behind the Suns, they are looking to make a run at them this month. A tall order, sure, but with us on the docket for these next three, they are in as good a position as there is to make some inroads towards that end. Obviously, I’m geeking my club up to play the spoiler here – we want to be the ruiner, the pebble in Otto’s flip-flop if you will…

140 of 162: Kito Western (7-10, 4.21) @ Thomas Deane (7-11, 5.00)
Loss, 4-2
. Deane had been hot lately, or lukewarm if you will, but, in this contest, he couldn’t make it out of the 6th and was put into a hot pan before a complete and thorough defrosting – he only gave up one run and did strike 6 of their guys out, but his three walks did him in here… long story short, the Kings won this one in extras when a guy I’ve never heard of, who, if the stat sheet is to be believed, is called Rickey Morten, hit a 2-run blast in the top of the 13th inning. 13 innings, only two extra-base hits (Scharmer & Weaver), 3 stolen bags, and an error… the Kings did what they had to here, they hung around and gutted it out. We either win or learn – the lesson here, though, is that they are, simply put, a better baseball club than we are.

Elsewhere: RF Jonah Dove (STL), Mr. 2500 (or 2506 if you’re counting), went 2 for 3 with 2 HRs, 3 RBIs, and 2 runs in the Rams’ 12-8 loss to the San Francisco Seals. That’s not great – it always sucks to waste that kind of performance. They don’t happen often enough to not result in a win.

141 of 162: KJ Judd (5-9, 3.96) @ Rad Taylor (5-4, 3.90)
Loss, 4-0
. Yikes. Rad gave a good account of himself here – 8 innings of work, 7 hits, 3 earned runs, and 5 K’s – but, LA’s KJ Judd threw a complete-game shutout that included no free passes and 7 K’s. Homer hit a double, Felger swiped a bag, and, welp, that’s about it. I don’t know if we’re running out of gas, don’t care, or didn’t care enough to fill up our tank after a full week spent commuting. Our top priorities for the offseason: A tune-up, an oil change, and a complete overhaul of the roster. I'm not talking about rebuilding the engine, I'm looking to buy a crate motor from Japan at this point.

142 of 162: Aiden Jensen (15-9, 3.62) @ Kordell Littles (9-11, 4.59)
Loss, 8-3
. Aiden went the distance, Rajkumar, the Prince, went 2 for 4 with a double and 2 RBIs, and Bakari Konate hit a 2-run dinger. For our part, in keeping with the theme of this series, we didn’t do much – 3 doubles, 3 GIDP’s, 3 left on base, and Felger got caught with his hand in the honey pot. He also committed an error. And, it should be noted that Kordell couldn’t make it out of the 4th – he gave up 6 earned runs, a homer, and walked 3 batters during his start. That’s not how you set the tone. Otto, in case you’re wondering, didn’t do much of note during this series – he scored a run today and fielded a nice OF Assist when he caught Felger trying to stretch a guaranteed double into a triple.

Notes: We’re 2-8 in our last ten games, are stuck in 5th on the NL East table, and are now 3 ½ games behind Brooklyn (who are now in 3rd) and 12 ½ games off Pittsburgh’s pace. I miss L.A.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #534
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/11 – 9/13)

Montreal Wanderers (64-79, .448, 6th NL East) @ Miami United (67-75, .472, 5th NL East)
With 20 games left in the regular season, we’re not, technically, out of it. Mathematically. However, as a baseball team with not a lot going on upstairs, we couldn’t begin to tell you what steps would be required to get that calculation to work – so, we are, not unlike Montreal, for all intents and purposes, out of the race and looking forward to the offseason. That’s what makes sets like these so difficult to get ready for… what is our motivation? Money? Love of the game? Pride? A mixture of all three? Maybe it’s just the inertia of a baseball man, thrusting us forward to the conclusion of this marathon with no regard for our feelings about its conclusion. We keep going until it’s over because that’s what we do – there’s no logic behind it, no free will – it’s preordained, we’re locked in baseball’s orbit. And so, since this is not the kind of train where you can just get off at the next stop and walk the rest of the way, here we are, at home, all dressed up, and ready to take on the Wanderers. There was a time, earlier in the season, when I would’ve thumbed my nose at these guys – with their 10th ranked offense and 6th ranked staff – but, the was then… now, I am fully aware that we are basically the same club. Sure, with an offense ranked 11th we would seem to be worse in that department, might be true, and with a pitching staff rated 4th we should be a few ticks better there, and, who knows, maybe we are. But, overall, when you look at all our pieces in aggregate, we are the same – and, hopefully, we can take advantage of home field because, really, that’s the only edge we have against Montreal in this series.

143 of 162: Julen Morales (7-12, 4.37) @ Funky Martin (MLB Debut)
Loss, 5-1
. In retrospect, our decision to give Funky his first MLB start is suspect – he managed to survive for 6 full innings but gave up all 5 of Montreal’s runs while fanning just three batters. C Jason Tallman, who only stands 6’0”, went 2 for 4 with a 2-run HR in the top of the 4th, and our offense, despite the fact that Julen left partway through the 3rd with an injury, was unable to get anything of note going offensively. Our bats have been quiet lately, meek in the face of danger, impatient, and worthy of your derision. While Montreal busied themselves by hitting a double, two home runs (both off of Funky), and stealing four bags, we did nothing. No extra-base hits, no thievery, nothing, nada, zilch. We’re down and out, shuffling aimlessly along the Miami Beach Boardwalk with a metal detector that needs a new battery and a fanny pack containing only half a Snickers bar, a pair of nail clippers, and a half-used bottle of sunscreen.

Elsewhere: 1B Tom Franzone (PIT) went 3 for 3 with 2 HRs, 4 RBIs, and 2 runs in the Steelers’ 6-5 win over the Philadelphia 76ers… Franzone, who missed a good stretch due to injury, now has 35 HRs which puts him in 3rd in that category across both leagues. Aitor Cubas is in 2nd with 38, and Jo Jo Jackson sits in 1st at 44. During the game, Palmer Parker hit a 3-run HR in the top of the 8th, but Philly’s mini-comeback would fall short in that frame. SP Chandler Keaton, of the Newport Beach Gypsies (a Vancouver AAA affiliate), hurled a NO-NO today against the Seattle Supersonics – he walked four batters and struck out 13 during the performance. His 13 K’s matched his regular-season record – a feat that he’s accomplished three times in 2079 – once in Havana, another in Austin, and finally during his NO-NO, at home, against the Supes. And, lastly, the Fargo Rallybirds have been bounced from the second round of the International League playoffs by the Charleston Shiners who won their closeout game by a score of 12-4. Fargo could only manage one win in 5 games against the Shiners.

Name:  Chandler Keaton.png
Views: 100
Size:  254.9 KB

144 of 162: Hudson Dorsch (6-12, 3.45) @ Radoslav Borovsky (9-9, 3.54)
Win, 7-1
. Our sticks have awoken from their hibernation and came out hungry today – OH HONG went 3 for 3 with 2 DING DONGS, 3 RBIs, and 2 runs, Donavan Taylor went 3 for 3 with a HR, 4 RBIs, and a run, and Radoslav gave us 7.1 innings of work where he allowed only a single run while fanning 5 batsmen. 2, two-baggers, 2 homers, a 2-out RBI, and 3 double plays in this one for the flim flams – let’s hope we didn’t blow our wad here and that we can carry this performance forward.

Elsewhere: Rookie RF Boogie Barnett (SDC) went 3 for 4 with a double, 2 RBIs, 4 runs, and 2 walks in San Diego’s 15-13 loss against the Phoenix Suns – the son of San Dimas is batting .249 with 8 HRs and 42 RBIs so far this season with the Chargers. And, the Continental League final is all set – Amarillo will take on Charleston for the AA Championship. The Golden State Warriors are our first team to secure a playoff berth while the Jacksonville Jaguars are the first team to be mathematically eliminated from the dance.

145 of 162: Cliff Slavinski (9-13, 4.41) @ Thomas Deane (7-11, 4.89)
Loss, 3-1
. Deane fanned 8 batters over 7 innings of work and allowed 2 earned runs – those runs would be all Montreal would need as Slavinski kept our off balance for 7.1 innings of work. While we looked awake, alert, and alive offensively in our last contest, somewhere between that win and the start of this game it would seem that our lineup found the snooze button… we’re now 2-8 for our last 10, remain stuck in neutral at 5th place on the NL East table, and find ourselves 3 ½ games behind Brooklyn.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-05-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #535
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/15 – 9/17)

Miami United (68-77, .469, 5th NL East) @ St. Louis Rams (72-75, .490, 4th NL East)
The Rams were picked to win the NL East before the start of the season by nearly all of the baseball prognosticators. Those who didn’t have them penciled in at 1st, had them no lower than 3rd – and all of the pundits agreed that they had the look of a playoff team. And, for the first 4 months of the season it looked like they were right – St. Louis was hangin’ tough like NKOTB in Costa Mesa… but, then August happened. They plummeted down the table, posted a 12-16 record, and watched on, from the outside looking in, as Pittsburgh & Philadelphia asserted themselves as the class of the division. Listen, I may have overstated that last bit – they still have a shot at making it to the playoffs with only the Brooklyn Citizens between them and the final wildcard slot, and, a home set, against us, gives them a great opportunity to start to put something together. We’re 31-40 on the road, 5-6 since switching to our Bubbalicious lids, and are mired in a funk that is so, um, funky that the spirit of Eddie Hazel is always nearby, playing the solo to, "I Call My Baby Pussycat", to make sure that it can be felt in your bones…

146 of 162: Rad Taylor (5-5, 3.86) @ Joseph Hinder (8-12, 5.86)
Win, 8-4
. It’s the OH HONG (3 for 5, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, 2 R) & Aris Anaconda (4 for 5, 2B, RBI, R) show in this one… finally, we look like the spoiler I so desperately want to become. Unfortunately, Rad left after only completing 2.1 innings of work with an undisclosed injury… diagnosis is, of course, pending.

147 of 162: Kordell Littles (9-12, 4.84) @ Dimitri Pimentel (12-10, 5.07)
Win, 7-2
. Kordell pitched well (8.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K) and Donavan Taylor went 2 for 4 with a solo-HR. Each of our 7 runs was brought home by a different batter, with Rico Sosa’s RBI coming with 2 outs on the board.

Elsewhere: 1B Senol Delalto (CHI) went 4 for 5 with a double, three HRs, and 8 RBIs in the Fire’s 11-1 win over the Toronto Reds BC. The performance and subsequent game score of 120 moved him into 2nd on the individual game performance rankings for 2079, just 6 pts behind his teammate Benjamin Compton who put up a 126 game score against the Vancouver Giants on the 1st of September. Chicago’s offense seems to be heating up at just the right time. LF Tony Voorhis (PHX) hit two long balls in Phoenix’s 11-10 win over the Minnesota North Stars – he now has 29 homers on the year and needs just 6 more to eclipse his all-time best of 34.

Name:  Senol Delalto.png
Views: 96
Size:  279.4 KB

148 of 162: Funky Martin (0-1, 5.63) @ Austin Joshua (3-3, 4.91)
Win, 10-8
. Funky Martin is not ready for primetime… he lasts a scant 2.2 innings in this one before getting yanked after allowing 6 runs – luckily for him, the offense is still clicking – Homer Wingard’s 4 hits and 4 runs were the difference maker here and Rico’s 3-run homer didn’t hurt. 4 double, 4, 2-out RBIs, and Rico’s moonshot ruled the day for the Pink Tops – we’ve secured a much-needed road sweep here and can now head off to Brooklyn with our confidence high.

Notes: Rad has a stiff lower back… he’s DtD, move along, nothing to see here. Shawna’s North Stars have been eliminated from the playoffs, and we head into Brooklyn on a 3-game winnings streak with only 2 ½ games separating us and 3rd place in the NL East. Oh, and check out the Playoff bracket for the International League… it’s attached. I, as a newly register Florida resident, will be pulling for the Orlando Sun Bears. Side note: Not sure why I changed their name from the Solar Bears to the Sun Bears – the new name doesn’t make much sense.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #536
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/18 – 9/20)

Miami United (71-77, .480, 5th NL East) @ Brooklyn Citizens (75-74, .530, 3rd NL East)
The general consensus is that Brooklyn has overachieved, that their talent does not equal the kind of success they’ve had in 2079 – I would agree with that assessment if the evaluation was limited to their offense, where, I believe they are playing a bit over their heads. Their staff, however, is, in my estimation, as good as advertised – with a top three of Cam Murphy, Merl Crawford, and Matthew Krebs their starters are among the best in the National League. Not the best, not really in that conversation, but amongst them, on the periphery… and, if their front office puts in some work during the offseason to bolster their bullpen, this club could find themselves right back in the thick of things next year. So, like us, the Citizens were, according to the baseball pundits, supposed to be a cellar dweller… that they are not is seen, by those same pundits, as a measure of success that should have been outside of their reach. Look, regardless of what measurement system you use, the Brooklyn Citizens aren’t a real playoff threat – if they were to live out another Cinderella story again in 2079 it would be seen as so outlandish that the league office would open an investigation featuring a talented investigator on par with Ms. Lorretta Synn. It’s just that – they weren’t supposed to be flirting with a winning record this late in the season, they weren’t supposed to be a potential wildcard team, and they weren’t supposed to reel off 7 wins in their last 10 contests to kick off September. This is a situation where, as the spoiler, we actually want to make the baseball punditry look good, a situation where our goals are aligned – this doesn’t happen often, we typically work to prove them wrong, to underscore the fact that they have no idea what they are talking about with results… but, if we can, we’ll pay tomorrow for a hamburger today… Of course, we’ll be starting a bunch of youngsters from here on out as we begin to shut down some of our veteran arms, so, who knows – Brooklyn might come up smelling like roses over these next three games.

149 of 162: Orlando Vasquez (MLB Debut) @ Hunter Larson (6-10, 5.12)
Win, 8-7
. Orlando battled for 6 innings, allowed 4 runs, and came away with the win in his first MLB start, Aris Anaconda hit a 3-run jack in the top of the 7th, and Early Felger finished the game at 3 for 5 with a double, a triple, one batted in, and 2 runs. Team ball alert: Two SAC FLIES and a SAC BUNT for the Pink Tops!

150 of 162: Lucas Brandt (6-7, 3.58) @ Matthew Krebs (16-10, 4.27)
Win, 6-3
. Rico Sosa hit a timely run-scoring double in the 5th that put us up 3-1 early, OH HONG hit his 7th homer, and Brandt, continuing with the youth movement, went hard for 6 innings and only allowed 2 runs to score (on a HR, but, whatever – we won!). And just like that, we’ve pushed Brooklyn’s head underwater… they, for now anyway, are a sub .500 ballclub.

Elsewhere: Angry Eloy Delando (MIS) went 3 for 4 with a two-bagger, 2 jacks, 4 RBIs, and 2 runs in the Hound Dogs’ 9-5 win over the Dearborn Dilly’s. With the win Mississippi has a 1 game lead over the Shreveport Sashimi Samurai for 2nd in the BL Justice Division and Eloy, now at 39 homers so far in 2079, is in the lead of that category by 3.

151 of 162: Rad Taylor (5-5, 3.86) @ Dylan Tuyay (12-11, 4.79)
Win, 6-5
. Road sweep! In Brooklyn! Our second road sweep in a row! Wingard’s 2-run homer put us over the top in the 7th, Rad was a mess and gave up 5 runs over 5 innings of work, Rico Sosa hit a SAC FLY, and Early stole his 28th bag despite doing a significant stretch in AAA. This one felt more like a loose collection of fortunate circumstances than it did a hard-fought, team triumph.

Notes: We’re starting to make some power moves it seems – 4-game series in Philly is next on the docket. Philly is currently tied for 1st in the NL East with the, suddenly, struggling Steelers who’ve gone 3-7 in their last 10 games. The Chicago Fire has become the latest team to clinch a playoff berth and the Jacksonville Jaguars are the most recent victim of 2079.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-06-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #537
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see Oh Hong heating up!

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #538
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Nice to see Oh Hong heating up!
I do wonder where the Pink Tops would be had he not spent so much time on the IL.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #539
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/21 – 9/24)

Miami United (74-77, .490, 4th NL East) @ Philadelphia 76ers (83-69, .546, t-1st NL East)
Four days in Philly, for our final away games of the season, feels like a mean-spirited joke courtesy of the league office. Four games played in front of the MLBs rowdiest fans, against MVP-candidate and all-around stud, Palmer Parker, at a time when they seem to be playing their best baseball during their most meaningful stretch. Tied with Pittsburgh for the lead in the NL East, gunning for a 1st round bye, and playing some of their best baseball, the 76ers are primed for destruction - we’re unlucky enough to be in their sights, and barring some Miramar dogfighting trickery, they’ll happily take us down below the hard deck if necessary - rules be damned. For our part, we’re on a hot-streak too - coming off consecutive road sweeps, the mood in our clubhouse is, dare I say it, boisterous... we’re too young to act like we’ve been here before, to green to not get too high with highs, and too cocksure to truly understand the gravity of the task at hand. And really, why should we be? We’re not supposed to be here, on the brink of a playoff berth, playing a tip-top brand of baseball, hitting the cut-off man, and throwing frozen ropes from the outfield. When Yan and I announced our intent to take our talents to South Beach, it was met with a chorus of snickers and guffaws - internally we told ourselves that the 2079 campaign had little bearing on our long-term future, that it would get worse before it got better - yet, here we are, on the precipice of low-key greatness, with an opportunity to rise above our station and smack the baseball bourgeoisie in the mouth on our way to the top. Okay, I may have gotten a bit excited there - this, really, is just an opportunity to come in on our promise a bit early, at the detriment of our draft plans. This unexpected late-season success, while fun, will force a slight pivot in our offseason plans, but, look, as a new club in a new town - building the fan base now will, hopefully, pay budgetary dividends in the not-too-distant future. Onward and sideways, my friends.

152 of 162: Radoslav Borovsky (10-9, 3.45) @ Grimm McGowan (15-11, 3.68)
Win, 4-3. I’m not sure what is happening right now – so, we just roll with it… 7 wins in a row, all on the road, despite an uneven, 7-inning, 7 hits, 4 walks, 3 earned performance from Radoslav. We got 4 runs driven in by 4 different guys, 2, two-baggers from OH HONG, a HR from Verne Morey (his 2nd), and a stolen bag from a guy who doesn’t do much of that (Donavan Taylor – 8 on the year). We even survived a profane and pervasive chorus of ugliness from the Philly Faithful and a 34-minute rain delay in the 3rd inning. We’re playing with loaded dice here, folks, let’s hope we don’t get spotted by the pit boss.

Elsewhere: Seattle fans celebrated as word of a signing became reality. Aitor Cubas won't be pulling up stakes anytime soon, as he has signed a 3-year extension at a pay rate of $43,000,000 per annum. Since he is widely seen as an integral part of the club, Seattle officials had to keep Cubas from jumping ship. This year Cubas is hitting .331 with 176 hits, 42 home runs, 115 RBIs and has scored 121 runs.

153 of 162: Kordell Littles (10-12, 4.70) @ Vin Uhlman (11-12, 5.60)
Win, 6-5
. Kordell did enough to get the win – well, more accurately, our offense, led by Early Felger’s 4 for 5 day (with a 2-run HR and 3 runs) gave him the cushion required to comfortably eke out a W despite coming up short on his good stuff (he walked FIVE batters). OH HONG drove one in, Homer drove in 2 more, and Palmer Parker hit his 33rd HR of the 2079 campaign in the losing effort. We’ve discovered the secret to keeping the Philadelphia fans quiet during the game here – basically, you just put it on them, in their park, two days in a row. Also, Oliver Woodard was suspended for 4-games, along with Philadelphia’s Tom Gage, after a scuffle at the mound – Oli took exception to a brush-back pitch, Tim disagreed, and… fisticuffs. The rumor goes that they only got the 4 games because they both fight like girls… hair was pulled, hammer fists were rained down from bizarre angles, and, somehow, not a single significant punch was landed.

Elsewhere: The Louisville Bats ousted the Calgary Flames 4 games to 1 in the opening round of the International League playoffs while the Long Beach Titans dispatched the Orlando Solar Bears (fixed it) by that same margin. Louisville will face the Hartford Whalers in the 2nd round, while the Titans advance to face the Huntington Beach Bombers. And, the Charleston Shiners defeated the Amarillo Armadillos 4 games to 2 in the Continental League’s Championship Series to win their first title after losing in the CLCS last season to the Arlington Stars.

154 of 162: Thomas Deane (7-12, 4.78) @ Wilson Pena (10-5, 3.03)
Loss, 12-1
. Snapped back to reality… Palmer Parker went 1 for 5 with 3 K’s and Philly still destroyed us – the Cheesesteaks, without their soloist filling in the gaps, stayed the course and played like the tightly wound rhythm section their fans have come to expect… Cody Keenan went 2 for 3 with a double, a homer, FIVE RBIs, and 2 runs, Jason Spears finished 4 for 5 with a 2-run two-bagger, and Wilson Pena struck out 9 batters in only 6 innings of work. Thomas Deane lasted a scant 2.1 innings and accomplished the dubious feat of giving up 8 earned runs in near-record time. Yikes.

Elsewhere: Otto Isaac (LAK) went 3 for 4 with TWO HOMERS, 5 RBIs, and 2 runs in LA’s 6-2 win over their most hated of hated division rivals, the Phoenix Suns. Otto is still only hitting .211 since his return, but he has managed to put 8 balls out of the park while driving 21 runs home.

155 of 162: Ricky Reyman (0-0, 2.08) @ Logan Maldonado (16-8, 3.24)
Win, 3-2
. And… we’re back! Ricky Reyman, in his first start of the season, gave us 7 innings of work and only allowed two little piggies to make it all the way home, and Kyle Weaver brought in the game-winning run in the top of the 9th on a run-scoring single. Look, we’re supposed to be down & out right now, out of it, booking vacation plans, and looking to get the heck out of dodge. But, we’re not. Instead, we find ourselves 2 ½ games up on the Brooklyn Citizens for the final wildcard slot in the National League. Baseball is a funny, funny game, man. You never know how this thing will shake out…

Elsewhere: Philly and Pittsburgh have both secured a playoff spot – but, the division is still up for grabs. Phoenix and LA are in – Phoenix hasn’t clinched it, but they will win the NL West. Golden State has officially won the AL West and, so far, Portland has secured an opportunity to join them in the 2079 Playoffs. And, outside of the Chicago Fire, who are guaranteed a spot, the AL East is still trying to figure things out.

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-07-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #540
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

2079 Season (9/25 – 9/27)

St. Louis Rams (73-83, .468, 6th NL East) @ Miami United (77-78, .497, 3rd NL East)
St. Louis is in a tailspin, they’ve lost control in September and are unlikely to pull out of it. 1-9 in their last 10, 5-15 on the month - this is not how you close out a baseball season. After 5-months spent as a well-respected fly-tying artisan, they’ve suddenly come up short on dexterity and have depleted their supply of exotic birds of paradise skins for their salmon flies. And, using turmeric dyed pigeon feathers affixed to hooks with poorly executed counter wraps on the hackle isn’t going to fool anyone. Theirs is a case-study in lost magic, in the failure of muscle-memory... and we just need to make sure that they don’t make any inroads into their task of picking up the pieces on our watch. Easier said than done, of course, because even though St. Louis is in a bad way, they can still score (4th in Runs Scored), get on base (4th in OBP), and they still wreck the base paths (3rd in Base Running)… their pitching is in shambles, but they still got some sticks that can put a bad one on you with the quickness.

156 of 162: Cosmo Puente (9-13, 4.81) @ Rad Taylor (5-5, 4.08)
Win, 7-5
. Rad allowed 4 runs over 7 innings of work and OH HONG went 3 for 4 with a 3-run HR, and 2 runs. We overcame 2 homers from STL (both off of Rad) to win this one with a 5-run 8th and managed to survive a mini-rally from the Rams in the top of the 8th when Jonah Dove hit into a double play after they had already put a couple of runs on the board. We’re on something of a run lately – unfortunately we only drew 24,123 fans to Carnival Cruise Lines Ballpark to see us put a bad one on the Rams. It’s a Monday night game, but still – we’re in the hunt and our fans should care about that.

157 of 162: David Ouwerkerk (6-9, 5.48) @ Radoslav Borovsky (11-9, 3.47)
Win, 6-4
. Despite Jonah Dove’s acquittal of himself after yesterday’s game-ending GIDP as he went 3 for 4 with a HR and 3 RBIs, it was the OH HONG show as your boy went 3 for 4 with a 2-run jack and 2 runs, and Radoslav K’d 9 batters in only 5.1 innings of work. We got 3 double, a dinger, 3 two-out RBIs, and a steal as a unit. Harvey Allen picked up his 28th save in this one as well.

Elsewhere: the 2nd round of the International League Playoffs are all set – Long Beach will battle Huntington Beach, Hartford will face the Louisville Bats, the Austin Grackles, who dispatched the Salem Silverbacks in 6 games, will face the Nashville Picks, and the Seattle Supersonics, after defeating the San Jose Sharks in a thrilling game 7, will advance to face the Compton Raiders.

158 of 162: Austin Joshua (3-3, 4.79) @ Kordell Littles (11-12, 4.77)
Win, 7-4
. Late season, home sweep! Kordell gave us 8 strong innings of work (4 earned, 7 K’s over the course of his appearance), Donavan ripped a 3-run homer, and Harvey Allen picked up his 29th save of the year. Team Cycle… three singles, two doubles (one for OH HONG), a triple (Scharmer), and a HR! We would also get a SAC BUNT from Magee – a little bit of everything here.

Elsewhere: Jerry Landowski reached the 2500-hit milestone this afternoon at Giant Grounds. The 40-year-old Giants left fielder went 2-for-5 in a losing effort at home in an 8-5 defeat at the hands of the Golden State Warriors. His all-time numbers show Landowski has compiled a .286 batting average and collected 2501 hits, 434 home runs, and 1489 RBIs. For our part – we are 80-78 now and have clinched the final wild-card berth in the National League – we’ve done the impossible and earned the right to, at the very least, be bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round. Craziness.
Attached Images

Last edited by pauwoo; 01-10-2020 at 09:21 AM.