Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Inside the Ropes

TBCB Inside the Ropes Your game and fantasy fights

Old 12-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #81
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Thanks Jersey....

Random thought: If D'Amato's petition to permanently ban Liston works, won't that change the name of this thread to Total Eclipse of the Sonny?
Anything is possible in this uni!
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #82
professordp
Hall Of Famer

I neglected to mention that the UBO will be acting on the "ban Liston" petition within the next twenty-four hours.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #83
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to it! Well, back to my (shameless plug) StrawWeight tourney. Time for round 3!
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #84
Jersey-Jim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I found this gem while doing some research. Anyone who's a boxing fan should watch this!

YouTube - Rocky Marciano About.

You're right about the back issue btw Jersey, Part of this film is an interview with Rocky's manager who explained why he retired.

This being said, unless chiropractic medicine has been made popular by this time, I don't think the Rock would come out of retirement after all!...lol
That's a great find! So it was Murray Goodman. I haven't heard that story in years. It was good to hear it again. It always seemed like the truth to me. It made more sense than all the other stories.
Jersey-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #85
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looking forward to it! Well, back to my (shameless plug) StrawWeight tourney. Time for round 3!
It's never shameless to plug your own uni!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #86
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
It's never shameless to plug your own uni!
I'm about ready to start round 4 only 8 fights in this one. Once it finishes I'll move up to Jr. Flyweight's. Though I'm considering moving them up to Flyweight to make a larger tourney....lol
Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #87
Beno999
All Star Reserve

That link to the marciano bio was ace! didn't know some of the things said about him!

as for the re-rating for his comeback prof, i believe Dean's re-rating is spot on

Beno999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #88
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

ya'll might wish to check out Rocky Marciano Home Page as well......
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #89
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Baltimore Gazette
May 2, 1957

UBO Rejects Petition to Ban Liston

By Robbie Green

A petition filed by Cus D'Amato, manager of heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson, to permanently ban Charles "Sonny" Liston from fighting for the division title was formally rejected today by the Universal Boxing Organization.

Liston, who was ranked as a top contender for the title belt, was sentenced to a five year prison term earlier this year after being convicted of assaulting a police officer. The boxer is currently incarcerated in the Missouri State Correctional Center but could be paroled next year.

Claiming that the UBO lacked the authority to ban a fighter, the organization's president, Han Reuter, issued the following statement.

"There is nothing in the UBO's charter that empowers it to ban a boxer from competing for a divisional championship. We are only authorized to rank fighters and sanction title bouts. The power to license boxers resides with state and national boxing commissions and not with this organization."

In his response to the organization's ruling, D'Amato was highly critical of Reuter.

"Hans Reuter has had no problem flexing his muscles when he's had the chance to expand his personal power. It looks like he's picking his battles here. The UBO's decision is a cop out. Liston is a criminal and giving him a chance to wear the heavyweight crown is a disgrace. If he ever gets the title, it would be a dark day for boxing."

D'Amato and Reuter have been feuding on a number of issues since the start of the year. Reuter has pressured all division champions to defend their respective titles against top contenders. D'Amato has accused Reuter of being heavy-handed and has complained that he's been conducting a personal campaign to undermine Patterson's championship reign.

Recently, Reuter met with former champion Rocky Marciano who is making a comeback effort. Both Marciano and Reuter declined to comment on the details of their discussion. D'Amato claims that Reuter is conspiring with Marciano to transfer Patterson's title to the undefeated former champion.

Patterson defends his championship belt next month against number one contender Hal Carter. Marciano will appear on the undercard against Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson who was stopped by Patterson in a March title match.

If both Marciano and Patterson win their respective bouts, it would increase the already intense pressure for the two to meet in a championship contest later this year. Under UBO rules, Patterson is required to fight someone ranked within the top five contenders, and as a result would not be obligated to defend his title against Marciano.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #90
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)

Professor, Professor, I love this universe, but I gotta say -- the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world just does not fight on anybody's undercard -- not even the nominal current champion's.

Other than that, the only complaint I have about the universe is that every time I open it I find myself humming, "Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart..." Never liked that song.
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #91
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ball View Post
Professor, Professor, I love this universe, but I gotta say -- the undefeated heavyweight champion of the world just does not fight on anybody's undercard -- not even the nominal current champion's.

Other than that, the only complaint I have about the universe is that every time I open it I find myself humming, "Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart..." Never liked that song.
You'll have to explain that one to me! As far as you taking offense to the "undercard" status of the Rock, it's for the sake of expediency--I have too many subplots going on here--it's getting like a Dostoevski novel. I have state titles, Euro championships, and Commonwealth crowns at stake. And Archie Moore is misbehaving. Not to mention that there's a buzz that Liston might be out on parole next year. So I guess my uni has too many cakes of yeast in the pan for me to put Marciano on a separate card. Just my view, but if you're fighting a non-title match on the same card as a title bout, you'd be on the undercard---regardless of your record.

And if you want to get ranked, you listen to Hans Reuter, and you fight where he wants you to fight. What do you think he and Marciano were talking about at their recent private meeting? It wasn't about Mickey Mantle winning another triple-crown.

But really, that song reference is a little too cryptic for my understanding. So I miss the humor/sarcasm that you directed this way.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #92
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
You'll have to explain that one to me! As far as you taking offense to the "undercard" status of the Rock, it's for the sake of expediency--I have too many subplots going on here--it's getting like a Dostoevski novel. I have state titles, Euro championships, and Commonwealth crowns at stake. And Archie Moore is misbehaving. Not to mention that there's a buzz that Liston might be out on parole next year. So I guess my uni has too many cakes of yeast in the pan for me to put Marciano on a separate card. Just my view, but if you're fighting a non-title match on the same card as a title bout, you'd be on the undercard---regardless of your record.

And if you want to get ranked, you listen to Hans Reuter, and you fight where he wants you to fight. What do you think he and Marciano were talking about at their recent private meeting? It wasn't about Mickey Mantle winning another triple-crown.

But really, that song reference is a little too cryptic for my understanding. So I miss the humor/sarcasm that you directed this way.
I am also left kind of by DB's post.

I think you're doing a super job, professor. Keep it up.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #93
Infinity
Hall Of Famer

There's a certain logic in Rocky agreeing to be on the undercard. If he goes in and beats the tar out of his opponent...(he WILL!) and upstages the champ....again...HE WILL....then the public outcry for Patterson to give Marciano a title shot will such that the powers that be will have little choice but to make that the next title bout.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #94
professordp
Hall Of Famer

What's the title about??

Never mind, my girlfriend just explained it to me, The line is from a song entitled "A Total Eclipse of the Heart". That shows you that I know about as much of popular music as I do about boxing.

I think most of you know something about the genesis of my thread's title. It's from the poem composed by Ali (then Clay) before his first fight with Liston. It concludes with the following:

"Yes the crowd did not dream, when they put up the money,
That they would see a total eclipse of the Sonny!"

Well, what can I say? I thought I was being innovative.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #95
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a certain logic in Rocky agreeing to be on the undercard. If he goes in and beats the tar out of his opponent...(he WILL!) and upstages the champ....again...HE WILL....then the public outcry for Patterson to give Marciano a title shot will such that the powers that be will have little choice but to make that the next title bout.
Thanks for the confirmation! That's exactly what I was thinking. Nothing like a contrast.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #96
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)

Well, I'm very sorry to have given offense where I certainly intended none. Far from it, I actually think it's a particularly interesting feature of the universe that it has a sufficiently high reality quotient that it can be critiqued this way by an outsider. Of course, it's the professor's creation, and it's up to him to do what he thinks best with it.

As for that song, I'm really trying to get it out of my head and will say no more about it.
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #97
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I'm very sorry to have given offense where I certainly intended none. Far from it, I actually think it's a particularly interesting feature of the universe that it has a sufficiently high reality quotient that it can be critiqued this way by an outsider. Of course, it's the professor's creation, and it's up to him to do what he thinks best with it.

As for that song, I'm really trying to get it out of my head and will say no more about it.
Speak freely, please! My problem was not knowing that song threw me for a loop!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #98
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Euro Sports Report
A weekly report of sports on the Continent
May 4, 1957

By Valter Meers

Johansson Stops Kalbfell on Cuts

(Gothenburg, Sweden)

Ingemar Johansson successfully defended his European heavyweight crown by stopping Germany's Hans Kalbfell in the third round of their scheduled fifteen round title match.

Kalbfell suffered a deep cut over his right eye midway through the second round which caused referee Pierre Richard to halt the action and consult with the ringside physician who allowed the match to continue. In the next round, Kalbfell's cut worsened causing stoppage of the contest at 1:51 of the third.

From the start of the bout, Johansson appeared to be in complete command. He continued to hurt the German with powerful rights to the head. Although Kalbfell didn't offer up much of a fight, it's a tribute to his chin that he remained standing for three rounds against the Swede's booming right hand.

Johansson has virtually exhausted the ranks of opposition here on the Continent, although there's some talk about a rematch with Italian champ Franco Cavicchi whom Ingo knocked out last Spetember to win the Euro crown.

Most likely, he'll be taking on the winner of the Henry Cooper-Joe Erskine British title contest which will be held later this month. According to Johansson's handlers, Ingemar will start be fighting American contenters in 1958 as part of a bid for the world title.

Cavicchi Takes Out London in Three
(Rome, Italy)

Italian heavyweight champ Franco Cavicchi totally dominated an obviously undertrained Brian London before knocking him out in the third round. Until the Bristish slugger was counted out with twenty-five seconds remaining in the third frame, Cavicchi put on a display of power and accuracy for his hometown fans.

Cavicchi, known to his partisans as the "Emilian Bull", slugged his opponent with every punch in his vast arsenal. In response, London did little but clinch and run in an unsuccessful effort to avoid the Italian's power.

Taking a rather severe beating for most of the contest, London fell to the canvas from a well-placed Cavicchi left hook. Brian made a half-hearted effort to rise when referee Alfio Lombardi reached seven but thought better of things and took the full count.

After giving a good showing in a losing effort against Joe Erskine this past March, London was somewhat of a disappointment. He scaled in at 208, which was nearly fifteen pounds more than he weighed in the Erskine match, and there was a discernable padding around his midsection.

For Cavicchi the win was impressive and can be viewed as redemption for his performance against Spain's Jose Gonzalez two months ago. In that contest, Cavicchi retired in his corner after five rounds claiming an injury to his thumb.

At twenty-nine, Cavicchi appears to be at his peak, and this was certainly underscored by his win over London. Whether or not he gets a return with Johansson remains to be seen. Regardless, he's among the today's top Eurpoean heavyweights.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #99
professordp
Hall Of Famer

HOUSTON COURIER-NEWS
May 10, 1957

Williams Halts Fleeman in Seventh

By Ronnie Michaels

Texas light heavyweight champion Donnie Fleeman was floored four times in a rather futile effort to move up in weight and lift the Lone Star state heavy crown from Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams. The match was stopped at 2:28 of the seventh round when Fleeman was sent to the canvas by a right hand blast from Williams.

Heavy promotion and media hype created an aura of expectation around the match that was never relalized once the fighters stepped into the ring. It was a one-sided affair with Williams beating Fleeman from pillar to post from the opening bell. Referee Billy Joe Gilchrist could have (and should have) stopped the slaughter in the fourth when Fleeman was taking a terrible beating and appeared defenseless.

Within the first minute of the contest, Fleeman hit the mat after being nailed by a Williams uppercut. In the next round, Williams, fighting flat-footed, repeatedly tagged his opponent with hooks and combinations. As a result, Donnie's left eye began to swell, and as his condition worsened he was pretty much at the mercy of the Big Cat.

Midway through the third, Fleeman was floored again, this time by a ripping Williams hook to the jaw. Although he was up at three, Fleeman was in pretty bad shape yet somehow survived the remainder of the frame.

For the next three rounds, Williams battered Donnie around the ring. Although outgunned, you have to give Fleeman some credit for courage. A fighter with a lesser heart would have folded under Cleveland's relentless attack.

At the start of the seventh, Fleeman was in terrible shape. His right eye was swollen shut, and he was obviously out of gas. Williams decked him at the 1:20 mark with a sharp combination and again thirty seconds later with a nasty hook to the ribs. Finally, Gilchrist saw fit to call a halt to the bout.

Following the fight, it was announced that the Texas Boxing Commission was suspending Gilchrist's referee's license pending a full investigation. In recent years, the state commission has come under increased criticism for not properly training and supervising referees.

Although he lost the fight, Fleeman still retains his state light heavyweight title. Pretty much a natural at 175 lbs., Donnie beefed up ten pounds for the match and tipped the scales at 185. That said, he was still out-bulked by the Big Cat who came in at 208.

Williams has established himself as the dominant force among Texas heavyweights and will now move on to the national scene. In July he'll be facing former world contender Bob Satterfield for a ten rounder in Detroit.

The fight is a rematch and an opportunity for Williams to revenge a severe beating he had received from Satterfield three years ago. Fighting as a last minute substitution, Williams was totally out-classed by Satterfield and knocked out in three rounds. Since then, Williams has been undefeated. An impressive win over Satterfield could give Cleveland a world ranking.

Last edited by professordp; 12-18-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #100
mikehoudini
All Star Starter

Quote:

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought of the song, but didn't remember all of the words. Keep posting, and find another song (maybe Grandma got run over by a reindeer)!
mikehoudini is offline   Reply With Quote