Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #261
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

And now Paxton is out

Injuries

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #262
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
And now Paxton is out

Injuries
At first read, one wonders why they would wait until February to have surgery for a condition that began late last season but apparently they thought it had subsided, only to appear when Paxton started his winter preparations. The loss of Paxton, and the suspension of German, will cost the Yankees several victories which will be crucial in the end.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #263
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Hey, has anyone seen the 2020 version of this thread that I'm certain Deja created somewhere? (Hint...hint...wink...wink...)

We already have a few key injuries to talk about.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #264
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Hey, has anyone seen the 2020 version of this thread that I'm certain Deja created somewhere? (Hint...hint...wink...wink...)

We already have a few key injuries to talk about.
You're looking at it. I was inspired by the bouyancy of the Mets thread to create one similar to that for all Yankees seasons. The title, though, is based on the name of the Knicks thread which will remain buried until I see some lasting improvement in that sorry franchise.

So please, post your "key injuries" news here. I often first hear of such news in this very thread!

- Bru

Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #265
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DéjÃ* Bru View Post
You're looking at it. I was inspired by the bouyancy of the Mets thread to create one similar to that for all Yankees seasons. The title, though, is based on the name of the Knicks thread which will remain buried until I see some lasting improvement in that sorry franchise.

So please, post your "key injuries" news here. I often first hear of such news in this very thread!
Oh, okay. Too bad the inspiration for this kind of free-flowing, open-ended thread didn't occur years ago. By now, this would've resembled one of those never-ending (and slightly creepy) OT threads in which the first dozen or so pages contain posts made by people who haven't logged into this website since 2004. I always wonder if those people are even still alive. Still, it would've been cool to come here in a fit of nostalgia and read an old news item about Scott Kamieniecki,

At any rate, it looks like purging the entire training staff from last year didn't have the desired effect. Sevy, Paxton and Hicks, oh my.

Whomever is sticking pins their Yankees voodoo doll can stop now. Please, just stop now!

Old 02-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #266
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Oh, okay. Too bad the inspiration for this kind of free-flowing, open-ended thread didn't occur years ago. By now, this would've resembled one of those never-ending (and slightly creepy) OT threads in which the first dozen or so pages contain posts made by people who haven't logged into this website since 2004. I always wonder if those people are even still alive. Still, it would've been cool to come here in a fit of nostalgia and read an old news item about Scott Kamieniecki,

At any rate, it looks like purging the entire training staff from last year didn't have the desired effect. Sevy, Paxton and Hicks, oh my.

Whomever is sticking pins their Yankees voodoo doll can stop now. Please, just stop now!

Yeah, thank goodness for that "Last Page" link.

Okay, nothing new new on the injury front, thank goodness. But, ST starts today! (For me, anyway - the first telecast from Fla.!)

EDIT: Ooops, Severino is new. My Yankee fanhood is rusty from the winter! Hopefully that's not serious. Also, there is this tidbit: "Outfielder Aaron Judge has also been dealing with shoulder discomfort and has not taken batting practice yet this spring."

EDIT 2: Watching the telecast now, I am reminded that Didi is no longer with the team. I am going to miss him. Yes, the team may have been leery of his coming back from Tommy John and they have a surfeit of good infielders now (Torres, LeMahieu, Urshela, and Andujar) but Didi was a spark plug and a good team member.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #267
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Heh, this was amusing, I think.
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 02-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #268
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Here is the entry for the Yankees in ESPN's article "The most interesting non-roster player for all 30 MLB teams"

New York Yankees: Clarke Schmidt. The Yankees have several veteran pitchers in camp -- Luis Avilan, Chad Bettis, David Hale, Tyler Lyons, Dan Otero -- and it's possible one of them could crack the Opening Day bullpen, but Schmidt is the guy with upside who could impact the team later in the season. A first-round pick in 2017 out of South Carolina even though the Yankees knew he would need Tommy John surgery, Schmidt returned in 2019 and reached Double-A. He's a polished righty with a plus changeup and curveball. With James Paxton already sidelined, Luis Severino hurting and Domingo German suspended, another injury to the rotation could open up a hole.

- Bru

Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #269
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Under the category of "Be careful what you wish for" is stuff like this. I would love to make good money playing a ballgame but there is this kind of thing, not to mention dealing with the media. You know what? I'm happy just being me. (Right now, that is. Today is a good day. )
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 02-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #270
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Under the category of "Be careful what you wish for" is stuff like this. I would love to make good money playing a ballgame but there is this kind of thing, not to mention dealing with the media. You know what? I'm happy just being me. (Right now, that is. Today is a good day. )
"Meh, he's a millionaire. And the fame is part of the job" - some people
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #271
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Tommy John surgery for Sevy

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #272
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #273
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Woof. You gotta be kidding, but I know you're not.

- Bru

Old 02-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #274
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The Yankees absorbed another injury to one of their star players on Wednesday, as outfielder/designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton is considered questionable for Opening Day after being diagnosed with a Grade 1 right calf strain.
Oh god, it's happening again, isn't it...
Old 02-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #275
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
Oh god, it's happening again, isn't it...
To him, at least. I suspect him of having contracted a case of Cespedes Syndrome.

- Bru

Old 02-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #276
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I've acquired a new habit this spring of opening up the current Yankees roster to tell who's who. A tough job, this time of year.

For example, it's the 8th inning of a blowout game, so guys coming to the plate for the Yankees are likely to be rather obscure. So #69 is at bat. Quick, who is that?

Neither ESPN nor Baseball Reference have this guy included. What, did he just get to Tampa?

Fortunately, YES popped up with his name: Armando Alvarez. Oh yeah, him. Who?

Getting to be long in the tooth for a rookie; been in the minors since 2013. Swung like a girl (sorry, ladies) at one pitch but then managed a double. Still, he's going to have to hit quite a few more to avoid an 8th season in the minors.

- Bru

Old 02-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #277
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Man, this is my first year of being retired around this time of the season, I'm following spring training closely, and I am digging it. What's next, the cliché of booking a hotel in Florida for a month so I can go to the games? Eh, what better way to spend a portion of one's retirement?

Annoyingly, the game is not on YES today (I may be reduced to watching Cardinals at Mets instead). Yeah, yeah, it costs money to produce such games and saturating the market with games meaningless to all but hardcore fans would not be smart, but in place of today's ST game, they're showing UEFA Champions League Soccer?

I should probably shut up before I get myself in trouble with fútbol fans.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 02-28-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #278
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I'm not going to bother linking to NYT articles anymore due to their paywall (they allow something like 6 looks at articles, then shut you down). So, this:

Name:  Image0301.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  369.7 KB
Name:  Image0302.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  346.1 KB

Does it seem to you like there is a pattern in this regard? That injuries linger, undiagnosed and untreated, until they become problems down the road?

If so, it's not just team management bungling, but a culture in which the pressure is on to cover up and disregard injuries until they become worse issues. Yes, I know I've said players should play through their injuries more but not talking about them is not what I had in mind.

And, I'm sorry, as Boone said, “He had M.R.I. of the shoulder and chest, bone scans, CT scans, X-rays — all these things. And it was this particular CT scan that found it.” Then why didn't they do that particular CT scan in the first place? Somewhere in here is the answer as to why the Yankees had a record number of injuries last year.

- Bru

Old 03-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #279
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

And then there is this other aspect. Am I reading this correctly?

Name:  Image0236.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  128.9 KB

Stanton is healthy enough to hit a home run, albeit simulated, but he's not available until sometime in April? April 30 is still April, so it could be that long.

Paxton feels great and has no pain but best case scenario for him is mid-May? Which could end up being late May, June, or beyond.

I've got to stop trying to figure these things out.

- Bru

Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #280
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Stanton is healthy enough to hit a home run, albeit simulated, but he's not available until sometime in April? April 30 is still April, so it could be that long.

Paxton feels great and has no pain but best case scenario for him is mid-May? Which could end up being late May, June, or beyond.

I've got to stop trying to figure these things out.
Stanton is going to be available in early April, most likely. They don't want to push him to hard, and having him miss the first week isn't a huge deal.

Paxton is feeling fine and has no pain, but now needs to build himself up to actually reach game-shape.

Who knows though, with the corona virus issues forcing cities to ban large gatherings, the whole start of the season might be postponed, so we might have guys back sooner (by game number) than expected.