Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
le receveur
All Star Starter

Set position to... Outfield

i have been using the set position for minor leaguers to learn new positions. I have ran into trouble where i decided to have a guy trying to improve in the OF, but i have to say which one, which i don't really care. So let say i put RF (player was 4/10 both at RF and LF, and 3/10 in CF) The problem is when i promoted a RF only, he ended up DH and sitting because the RF was locked to the first player.,,, I also assume if i was letting AI do promotion the 2nd guys would be considered blocked.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

One idea might be to allow us to specify more than one position to players. Eg set a player to be used at either RF or LF.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
One idea might be to allow us to specify more than one position to players. Eg set a player to be used at either RF or LF.
This is probably the best solution. This also might actually allow you to circumvent the AI's wonky substitution logic by setting multiple force positions for every player.

Now that I think about it, I really like this idea.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
This would be the ideal solution, I think. Checkboxes to set which positions a player is/isn't allowed to play, possibly? For example, if I have a player who can play every position on the field (excluding P/C, obviously), but already knows how to play SS and 3B, I can set him to only play 2B and all 3 OF spots. Also handy would be a "don't allow consecutive starts at position" checkbox, to force the player to move to a new position on a daily basis to try to work up his experience at more than one place.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
that would work really well....
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

If other players are force started at RF then he will never play there unless as a sub. Did you check that?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
kevin95630
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think the overall defensing rating for outfield should simply be "outfield", and not constrained at all by which outfield position. How well a player performs at a particular outfield position would be determined by range, arm, and error ratings. Not by where he is positioned in the outfield. It's not like a great centerfielder is suddenly going to suck if moved to left. His range and arm may not be fully as utilized in left, but if he was great in center, he'll be great in left as well. It makes more sense for the manager to be able to move them around to suit the team's needs than to conform to the restrictions of the game.

The restriction might make sense if you are playing a strict historical season simulation, but in that case, you have the option to use historical lineups.

Last edited by kevin95630; 12-18-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Clarity of meaning of one sentence.
kevin95630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

I also like to train my players at multiple positions, no real reason not to.

And I spend A LOT of time changing around my minor league lineups

I'd like to be less of a micro manager.

It'd be MUCH easier if you could specify, for certain players, that you want them to, say, play 40% of the time in LF, 0% in CF and 40% in RF and the minor league manager (AI) could sort that out on its own.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
Gator
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin95630 View Post
I think the overall defensing rating for outfield should simply be "outfield", and not constrained at all by which outfield position. How well a player performs at a particular outfield position would be determined by range, arm, and error ratings. Not by where he is positioned in the outfield. It's not like a great centerfielder is suddenly going to suck if moved to left. His range and arm may not be fully as utilized in left, but if he was great in center, he'll be great in left as well. It makes more sense for the manager to be able to move them around to suit the team's needs than to conform to the restrictions of the game.

The restriction might make sense if you are playing a strict historical season simulation, but in that case, you have the option to use historical lineups.
I like the logic here and agree with the idea of having just OF ability ratings without position ratings.
Baseball will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set, Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us.
Walt Whitman
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote