Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
polydamas
All Star Reserve

The Stopper Role

I love using this in my fictional league as I want the best reliever in the game in the most crucial innings rather than just saving them for the 9th. However, when I started a new mlb game it was no longer an option for my bullpen.

I know this must be a noob question, but I'm not sure where else to consult for this answer. Why is the deal with the stopper role? Why can I get it in some games, but not others? Can I re-enable it in my mlb game?
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I do almost nothing but fictional and have never seen this role. Can you show me where it appears?

Edit:

My understanding is that a "stopper" is a starting pitcher not a reliever. Closers have been closers for 30+ years

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 05-19-2015 at 01:47 AM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
In League Setup, under Stats & AI, set the "Use of Closers" setting to Normal or lower and the Stopper role will be available.

The Stopper role is intended to mimic the use of relief aces prior to the onset of the current 9th inning only nonsense.

Last edited by Questdog; 05-19-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

I think the stopper role is only available in certain historical era's.

*edit* Or what Questdog said.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for that. I still find it strange that pitchers like Seaver and Jenkins were referred to as "stoppers" for their ability to "stop" losing streaks.

Am I imagining this?

Edit: no

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...#ixzz1YpL9u5g6

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The Stopper role is a relief pitcher role, and tends to be the RP with the most innings pitched over the course of the season, but by sometime around the 1970s in historical leagues, maybe early 1980s it disappears and is replaced entirely with "Closer". The only way to avoid that substitution - and I too prefer the Stopper - for reasons you stated in the original post here - is to unclick "automatica adjust league strategy".
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Thanks for that. I still find it strange that pitchers like Seaver and Jenkins were referred to as "stoppers" for their ability to "stop" losing streaks.

Am I imagining this?

Tigers ace Verlander again stellar in stopper role | MLB | Sporting News

You are most correct. I had the same question when I first heard about the term in OOTP. The way OOTP uses the term actually makes more sense.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
rrrozz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

Am I imagining this?

Tigers ace Verlander again stellar in stopper role | MLB | Sporting News
"The New York Yankees of the late 1970s and early 1980s arguably pioneered the set-up/closer configuration, which is used by every team today. The most effective pairing was Ron Davis and Gossage, with Davis typically entering the game in the 7th or 8th innings and Gossage finishing up. During one stretch with that pairing, the Yankees won 77 of 79 games in which they led after six innings.

Gossage and top relievers of his era were known as firemen, relievers who entered the game when a lead was in jeopardy—usually with men on base—and regardless of the inning and often pitching two or three innings while finishing the game.[15][16][17] Gossage had 17 games where he recorded at least 10 outs in his first season as a closer, including three games where he went seven innings. He pitched over 130 innings as a reliever in three different seasons.[16] He had more saves of at least two innings than saves where he pitched one inning or less"
rrrozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
What if your league uses both stopper and closer will saves in general
Drop in numbers?

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #10
thelonius
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrozz View Post
"The New York Yankees of the late 1970s and early 1980s arguably pioneered the set-up/closer configuration, which is used by every team today. The most effective pairing was Ron Davis and Gossage, with Davis typically entering the game in the 7th or 8th innings and Gossage finishing up. During one stretch with that pairing, the Yankees won 77 of 79 games in which they led after six innings.

Gossage and top relievers of his era were known as firemen, relievers who entered the game when a lead was in jeopardy—usually with men on base—and regardless of the inning and often pitching two or three innings while finishing the game.[15][16][17] Gossage had 17 games where he recorded at least 10 outs in his first season as a closer, including three games where he went seven innings. He pitched over 130 innings as a reliever in three different seasons.[16] He had more saves of at least two innings than saves where he pitched one inning or less"
I went to a game when I was a kid where Gossage blew a lead and stayed in to pitch seven innings.

August 2, 1978 Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees Play by Play and Box Score | Baseball-Reference.com

I really prefer the term fireman to stopper when you're talking about a reliever who comes in right when the other team is getting a late-inning rally going. Helps avoid confusion with the other kind of starting pitcher stopper.

Tim McCarver was constantly referring to Mariano Rivera as a stopper even though Rivera usually acted as a traditional closer.
thelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #11
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Rollie Fingers is the best example of the "stopper."
Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

So if the league used both a stopper and a closer will it go back to the era were saves were fewer number or Will the saves be distributed between both the stopper and the closer?

Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Noone_Uknow
Minors (Single A)

You would expect Holds to become a more important stat that it is today. If you bring in your stopper to protect a 1 run lead in the 7th inning and have your team score a bunch in the 8th, the stopper would be credited with the Hold but there would be no Save (unless you keep him in for the three innings). Overall Saves would probably remain pretty consistent.
Noone_Uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

So a stopper is like a setup man/Closer Hybrib? I just don't understand how the AI will handle having a closet stopper and setup man they seem interchangeble

Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
So a stopper is like a setup man/Closer Hybrib? I just don't understand how the AI will handle having a closet stopper and setup man they seem interchangeble
If I recall correctly, when I've had the stopper role available, the game didn't present a setup or closer by default. That was in 15 so YMMV.

The AI handles it based on the strategy settings you set in "Stats and AI." I seem to remember around 30-40 saves winding up being the usual save numbers for the year but I don't recall if I still have the league for exact data.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #16
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

I have one minor league in my game that offers the stopper but it also has the closer and Setup man which I found weird that only one of my minor leagues did that

Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #17
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

From Wiki on "Closer"

In baseball, a closing pitcher, more frequently referred to as a closer (abbreviated CL), is a relief pitcher who specializes in getting the final outs in a close game when his team is leading. The role is often assigned to a team's best reliever. Before the 1990s, pitchers in similar roles were referred to as a fireman, short reliever, and stopper. A small number of closers have won the Cy Young Award. Dennis Eckersley, Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage, Bruce Sutter and Hoyt Wilhelm are closers who have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #18
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Is this all still accurate in OOTP 18? It seems that this is now an option even in mode leagues.
Old 08-09-2021, 03:06 AM   #19
Shergie
Bat Boy

Quote:
I do almost nothing but fictional and have never seen this role. Can you show me where it appears?

Edit:

My understanding is that a "stopper" is a starting pitcher not a reliever. Closers have been closers for 30+ years
Im responding to your quote about conservatism, you mind explaining it? It looks like nonsense to me but maybe im not understanding it…im not conservative or liberal but ive found from simple observation that if either of them exhibit “rules for me but not for the” it would definitely not be conservatives. In the minds of people on the left, There are clearly different sets of rules depending on your affiliation
Shergie is offline   Reply With Quote