Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 07:13 AM   #1
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Post Play your home games league

.. a carryover from the other BB.

I've been searching for a few days for a league where you get to play your own home games. The sim leagues look like fun but I love playing the games in OOTP3 so much I would hate to give it up.

Hey if a few more people post here, I would even be willing to get something going myself. Wouldn't even take too much - 4 humans padded by 4 computer teams would even be interesting. 81 or so game season. Could probably get through a year in 2 months or so if everyone tries to play a series a day.
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:46 AM   #2
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

I think someone was trying to put together something like this on the old board (might have been the one before the most recent "old board", so you may find some takers...
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 04:22 PM   #3
miket00
Bat Boy

Talking

If you are still looking for someone to take part in this I would be interested.
miket00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 05:41 PM   #4
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

OK!

That's 2 of us, maybe 3 if Khaos doesn't get turned off by it being a 8 game league. Stay posted and hope a few more people turn up.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:43 PM   #5
Dokken

Thumbs up

Im interested in it as well...sounds like fun.
Dokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 05:47 AM   #6
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Alright, looks like maybe we're getting somewhere!
I have no experience in running something like this (although I have been in my share of fantasy leagues with card games - so I have a clue) so it should be interesting.

I've also tried to get in touch with the guy who tried to start the other league a few months ago to see if him and his 1 (!!!) other owner would be interested.

Maybe we can bounce some ideas around. What I've been thinking is:

1. 8 team league, in 2 divisions. 2 human, 2 computer in each division. The bad part about this is there is only one possibility for human/human teams playing one another; but the computer's a competent GM so it shouldn't be a big deal. We could also dump all teams in one division but then there's no world series at the end, which I don't like.

Ideal would be if we could get 8 human players, then a 16 team league (2 divs of 8) would work really well.

2. Totally fictional league, starting in 2000, with salaries and coaching/scoutung enabled.

3. 81 game season with playoffs.

4. We'd do the first 25 rounds of the draft live one weekend afternoon in a chatroom or ICQ and then the computer finishes up for everyone.

5. No DL in either division unless a majority of people are against, then DL in both divisions.

6. Generic ballparks to even the playing field, again, unless a majority of people are against.

7. Files have to be submitted on a series by series basis, which keeps the local stats on everyone's PC pretty current and the play by play descriptions of streaks/leaders should be very accurate. Of course this means that one slow manager will hold the whole league up. I'd expect a series to be played every 3 days max.

I'm open to any suggestions whatsoever though.

PS. I kinda miss Dokken. Are they still bouncing around?

[ December 09, 2001: Message edited by: Peterk ]</p>
Old 12-09-2001, 08:35 AM   #7
Dokken

Sounds like a good plan to me. This will be my first time in a league....so you will have to bare with me

Yes,Dokken is still around....they are in the studio recording their latest record right now. Of course George Lynch wont be playing in it.

I like o stick with their old stuff mainly,"Breaking The Chains","Tooth and Nail","Back For The Attack",and "Under Lock and Key".

Those 4 albums were some of the best albums EVER...IMHO.
Dokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:20 AM   #8
Hammer755
Hall Of Famer

Peterk,

Just a tip for you in setting up your league. If you want a post-season series, you'll need to set up 2 leagues with 1 division each. If you set up 1 league with 2 divisions, I don't believe the game allows a World Series.

Good luck with it, guys.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:36 AM   #9
Khaos
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

I would much rather have a full league, but put me down as interested. I can't figure out why people would rather sim than play the games?

Maybe, if we start this,it might garner interest and we could expand. Plus, something smaller will give you a chance to make the learning mistakes a commissioner makes as he does something for the first time.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:37 AM   #10
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Hey Hammer,

Thanks for the catch. I checked the manual and you're right. We need 2 leagues.

Hi Khaos,

I would rather have a full-league as well, but the players aren't there (...yet). Let's give it a shot and see what happens. We can always expand or give teams from the AI to real players afterwards.

If this was any other game, I wouldn't even consider having 50% of the teams AI controlled, but here I think it would work.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:45 AM   #11
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Guys,

Looks like there's 4 of us at least. I'll let this topic sit up here for a week or two more, just in case before starting to move forward in a big way. It looks like we'll be getting going before the holidays.

In the meantime, I'm going to be trying to find a place where we can keep our stuff. Eventually, I'll put up a site, but I think for now it might just be easier if I set up a private club somewhere for our league where we can host our files, have a bulletin board and a chatroom for our draft. I'm thinking yahoo or Excite. Everyone OK with getting a club membership on one of those?

Does anyone know how random the trading logic is? If a player and a commish are both using the same league file and a player negotiates an acceptable trade with the AI on his PC. Will that trade always (or almost always) also go throgh on the commishes game???
Old 12-11-2001, 12:15 AM   #12
TSmith1969
Minors (Triple A)

[quote]Originally posted by Hammer755:
<strong>Peterk,

If you want a post-season series, you'll need to set up 2 leagues with 1 division each.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, you can just add games to the end of the schedule manually and customize your own postseason. This is what we are doing in our 10-team face-to-face league.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:50 AM   #13
loco
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thumbs up

Hey! Are there still openings? because I´m totally in.
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:46 AM   #14
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Hey Ioco,

Welcome aboard. Plenty of time left before we start playing. I'll be getting in touch with everyone in about 1-2 weeks to get initial info and prepare the first steps.

Start thinking about a team name!
Old 12-11-2001, 05:37 AM   #15
sporr
Global Moderator

[quote]Originally posted by Peterk:
<strong>Does anyone know how random the trading logic is? If a player and a commish are both using the same league file and a player negotiates an acceptable trade with the AI on his PC. Will that trade always (or almost always) also go throgh on the commishes game???</strong><hr></blockquote>

For the most part, the trade will be acceptable both places. There are a few rare instances where contracts negotiated on home computers weren't exactly the same on the host computer in leagues that I have been in.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 11:49 AM   #16
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Just a little update to everyone who was interested:

We're going to get this going quicker than expected. I've got a private club at Yahoo pretty much all set up for us - just putting the final touches on it. The initial league file is set-up already as well and we should be able to start drafting of coaches within a few days. Everyone who expressed interest in this thread will be getting an invitation to join the club/league shortly.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:51 AM   #17
Qrashman
All Star Reserve

I may be interested if the names are fictional. Not quite sure how it would work, but it sounds like fun.
HBL Waiting List
Qrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 04:18 PM   #18
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Hey Khaos dude,

Can you drop me a line at my e-mail? I sent out the invitations for the league last night night but couldn't get one to you 'cause there's no e-mail on your profile.

Qrashman,

It's nothing too complicated. It will be a lot like playing a Challenge league except that some of the teams will be controlled by other people. People playing home series will get to play out the games themselves - people with teams on the road will have their teams managed by the AI according to the team profile. Before every series, team managers send me their roster changes and strats, then I send out an up to date league file, home teams play their games and get their results in and so on....

Players will be fictional and we'll be doing an 82 game season, which means you'll have to play 41 games. The most time consuming thing will be the initial player draft. I'd like to do it on-line in a chat room and it might take 5-6 hours one weekend, but you can also pick your players by getting me a list if you want.

Let me know if you want to give it a shot.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:44 AM   #19
Fridley17
Bat Boy

Question

Is there still time to get into this league. just sitting on my porch thisorning wishing there was a league where you played games rather than simmed them. Email me at d2graham@msmisp.com
Thanks David
Fridley17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 09:29 AM   #20
Peterk
Minors (Triple A)

Hey David,

Perfect timing. There are still 3 teams up for grabs. Details coming by private e-mail.

p.