Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
psd
Major Leagues

Fictional League with real players

I searched and couldn't find this, but I apologize as I am pretty sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I just cannot find the info. how do I use real players in an inaugural draft in a fictional league. I read that in the "free agents" screen there is a tab to "import players." I do not have this tab. I have never played this game before. I have read the manual and have set up all the rules and what not. I am ready to begin the draft, but I want real players. Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive.
psd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You should be in Commish mode for the import players function to appear.

One solution to what you're trying to achieve is to create a real league, then edit the league to change team names/locations to be all fictional. This is done in league setup.

Also, once you've created the league the way you want, in league setup you can use the Schedule Fantasy Draft option, which will release all players and allow you to do a draft.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd View Post
I searched and couldn't find this, but I apologize as I am pretty sure this has been asked a thousand times before, but I just cannot find the info. how do I use real players in an inaugural draft in a fictional league. I read that in the "free agents" screen there is a tab to "import players." I do not have this tab. I have never played this game before. I have read the manual and have set up all the rules and what not. I am ready to begin the draft, but I want real players. Thanks in advance for any and all help I receive.
First off, are you wanting real players from all different periods or do you want to use a certain season in history and simply have real players?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The easiest way to do this is to simply create a historical league and rename the teams to your liking. You can also restructure the league. Remember to leave the box for automatic expansion unchecked, or your league will revert to historical form and teams following your first season.

Just select the release all players and schedule inaugural draft and you will be ready to go.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
psd
Major Leagues

Thanks for all the help. I am creating a custom league. I would like to use current players as the fantasy league I created is in the current year. From what I am reading, I should NOT create a custom league, but a historical (or current one), and then simply rename all the franchises?? This makes much more sense. I was not aware you could do that. I thought you HAD to create a custom league if you wanted one. Let me ask this then. If all one has to do is rename the current franchises, why even bother having a "create custom" league option in the first place? Wouldn't you really only need to create a " new league" , choose "current" or "historical", use "current" or "rename" franchises , and then an option to use "real" or "fictional" players? Wouldn't that make it much simpler and far less confusing to newcomers??
Old 03-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I am creating a custom league. I would like to use current players as the fantasy league I created is in the current year. From what I am reading, I should NOT create a custom league, but a historical (or current one), and then simply rename all the franchises?? This makes much more sense. I was not aware you could do that. I thought you HAD to create a custom league if you wanted one. Let me ask this then. If all one has to do is rename the current franchises, why even bother having a "create custom" league option in the first place? Wouldn't you really only need to create a " new league" , choose "current" or "historical", use "current" or "rename" franchises , and then an option to use "real" or "fictional" players? Wouldn't that make it much simpler and far less confusing to newcomers??
I take players from different years and throw them on the same team so that's why I don't change the team name. If I took a Yankee team from 1977 and a Yankee team from 1999 and put them in the same league ,I would change one of the team's name.

If you take players from different years and put them in the same league,I have to guard against having duplicate players.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 03-06-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a lot of reasons why, but I'll just touch on one.

I can customize my league as I create it, I don't have to go in and edit things afterwards.

When you create a custom league there are many options you can select ahead of time to avoid having to edit them after creation.

I would recommend you try using the custom league option sometime, if for no other reason than just to see what is involved. Even if you don't plan on playing the league, it's an excellent learning experience.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 03-06-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
psd
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There's a lot of reasons why, but I'll just touch on one.

I can customize my league as I create it, I don't have to go in and edit things afterwards.

When you create a custom league there are many options you can select ahead of time to avoid having to edit them after creation.

I would recommend you try using the custom league option sometime, if for no other reason than just to see what is involved. Even if you don't plan on playing the league, it's an excellent learning experience.

I have been using the custom league. I created a league and played an entire season out of it. I just thought the same league, but with actual players, would be more fun. It just seems to me that there has to be a simpler way to accomplish whatever one wants. With everything this game does, and how realistic it does it, it's just weird to me why they wouldn't include a "use real players" option when creating a fantasy league. That was the point I was getting at, albeit not very well.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
Ike348
All Star Starter

Here is what I have done in some of my fictional leagues. First, I created a new MLB league and deleted all of the players I didn't want to carry over to my fictional league. Then I exported the rosters, and imported them into Excel.

Next, I created fictional FAs (must be in commissioner mode) that matched the number of MLB players I was carrying over. Then I exported those rosters.

For the MLB rosters in Excel, I changed the player IDs to match the fictional FAs IDs. I then exported the MLB rosters to a CSV, and then copied the player portion of the file (not the list of teams). I then selected all of the FAs in the fictional league file and pasted over the MLB data. Then re-import the rosters into your fictional game. Your FAs should now be all real MLB players!

Note that this does not include statistical history, but you could copy that over much the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote