Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 AM   #81
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It would appear the 1902 schedule is a repeat of the 1901 schedule, but based on my experience, that will change at some point. The thing to keep in mind is that even if the schedule is a repeat, the teams are different, so...there's that.
However...The 1903 schedule is not a repeat of the 1902 schedule...Dunh, dunh, dunh, dunh!!!

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:47 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #82
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Have a new idea (crack pot 🧠 wave?). What if to avoid the dead ball era I keep my 1976 stats until 1919 or 1920 then change to follow history year by year.

Thoughts or possible pitfalls?
JaBurns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #83
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Have a new idea (crack pot 🧠 wave?). What if to avoid the dead ball era I keep my 1976 stats until 1919 or 1920 then change to follow history year by year.

Thoughts or possible pitfalls?
One thing to keep in mind here is, you will be going from 1976 when teams average 93 homers a season to 1919 when teams averaged 27. 1920, 39. 1921, 59. Also, when you play a season like 1921, don't expect to have a home run leader like Babe Ruth that crushes 50+ home runs. Instead OOTP will have to spread those 900 some home runs over the entire league. So you just might end up with a league leader with 20 or less home runs.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #84
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thanks for the advice, just finished ‘03 league leader had 28 homers, which establishes a new record. I still bring in the 1976 stats the day before Opening Day.

I will watch over the next few years to see were the power numbers go, I am still intrigued with the basic idea. I will probably find flaws in my logic far before I sim 17 more years.

Either that or I will come up with other half baked tangential idea to go off another wild goose chase.....
Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #85
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
One thing to keep in mind here is, you will be going from 1976 when teams average 93 homers a season to 1919 when teams averaged 27. 1920, 39. 1921, 59. Also, when you play a season like 1921, don't expect to have a home run leader like Babe Ruth that crushes 50+ home runs. Instead OOTP will have to spread those 900 some home runs over the entire league. So you just might end up with a league leader with 20 or less home runs.
Don't forget about 1930 when offense goes cuckoo bananas. A .296/.356/.434/.790 slash line for MLB with 5.55 R/G across the league? Hard pass for me thanks. JaBurns, if you want to stabilize stats output stick to one season. If you want it to be all over the place (maybe you do, I'm not sure), go for that. I don't understand why you'd want to stabilize it through the deadball era, and then release it to the whims of ever changing LTMs, but I'm sure you have your reasons. I suppose you could do it, but I have no idea what sorts of results you'll get. Maybe it'll work to your satisfaction, and that would be great. It's up to you. It's your game. Play it your way. Not saying my way of doing it is the one true way, but it is the way that I like the stats from my games to be. It adds to my enjoyment when offensive stats aren't whacked. I think it keeps things stable, but I could be totally wrong about that. T'wouldn't be the first time. T'wont be the last.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #86
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1903 All-Stars:

AL:

Scott T Baker (NYY), SP
Jim Clancy (CLE), SP
Hooks Dauss (WS1), SP
Earl Francis (NYY), SP (Injured)
Cliff P Lee (NYY), SP
Toad Ramsey (SLA), SP
Eppa Rixey (DET), SP
Dave Stieb (CLE), SP
David Wells (WS1), SP
Kiko Calero (SLA), CL
Jim H Devlin (CLE), CL
Akinori Otsuka (BOS), CL
Mitch Williams (PHA), CL
Craig Biggio (DET), C
Robinson Chirinos (SLA), C
Bengie Molina (WS1), C
Jim Bottomley (BOS), 1B
Steve Garvey (PHA), 1B
Pete Kilduff (WS1), 2B
Trevor Story (DET), SS
Chuck Hinton (SLA), LF
Ron Kittle (CLE), LF
Lefty O'Doul (DET), LF
Boog Powell (PHA), LF
Rocco Baldelli (CWS), CF
Marquis Grissom (BOS), CF
Rick Monday (SLA), CF
Ed Delahanty (PHA), RF
Al Kaline (CLE), RF

NL:

Jacob deGrom (CHC), SP
George Derby (PHI), SP
Denny Driscoll (CIN), SP
Jaime Garcia (BRO), SP
Mark Gubicza (BSN), SP
Mike Hampton (STL), SP
Mickey Lolich (BRO), SP (Injured)
Rudy May (PIT), SP
Nolan Ryan (CIN), SP
Joe Heving (PIT), RP
Ed Hodge (NY1), RP
Kenley Jansen (STL), CL
Alejandro Pena (NY1), CL
Keith Moreland (STL), C
Julio Franco (CHC), 1B (Injured)
Mike Hargrove (CIN), 1B
Carlos Lee (STL), 1B
Joe Gantenbein (CIN), 2B
Bill Madlock (PHI), 2B
Floyd Rayford (PIT), 3B
Alex Rodriguez (CHC), SS
Honus Wagner (NY1), SS
Culley Rikard (NY1), LF
Mike Donlin (BRO), LF
Ben Paschal (PIT), LF
Roy White (CHC), LF
Tom York (PHI), LF
Brett Phillips (CIN), CF
Jerry Morales (BSN), RF
Gene Clines (STL), RF

The National League came out on top 5-2 in the 1903 All-Star Game, played before a crowd of 10,000 at Columbia Park in Philadelphia. The top three stars of the game were Ed Delahanty of the Athletics, who went 3 for 3 with a double. Tom York of the Phillies went 2 for 2 with a double, a triple, and a run scored. Honus Wagner of the Giants went 3 for 5, scoring a run. Ron Kittle of the Indians took George Derby of the Phillies deep in the 4th inning to cut the lead in half at 2-1. The AL would tie the game in the 5th, but ultimately lost it in the ninth when the NL beat up Jim H Devlin of the Indians for three runs.

There was some confusion as Tom York was named Player of the Game, yet Ed Delahanty had the #1 performance. Whatever. I'm sure we'll get these things straightened out in time. Early days yet.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #87
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1903 season is in the books. Much more to come later, but for now here are the final standings (in two parts to get all the stats in), the final batting stats, and the final pitching stats:
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Old 05-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #88
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

October 28th, 1903 is a day that will not soon be forgotten by fans of the New York Highlanders and the Philadelphia Athletics. That would be the day that New York dealt 3-time All-Star and 1901 Walter Johnson Award winner SP Cliff P Lee to the Athletics for 2-time All-Star, 2-time Brooks Robinson Award winner, 1-time Ted Williams Award winner 1B Steve Garvey. That takes some brass ones right there. Holy moley!!! Lee is heading into his age 34 season, while Garvey is just hitting his prime, going into his age 27 season. Oof! I was scanning the transactions log looking for various and sundry things when I came across that doozy.

Geez! I think the Highlanders won this one because of how much younger they got, but can their pitching staff take the hit? Scott T Baker moves up to the #1 spot and behind him are Earl Francis, Bucky Walters, Jim Barr, and Allan Anderson. The two through six spots in their lineup are looking quite murderous now. Dustin Pedroia, Steve Garvey, Minnie Minoso, Joe Lefebvre, and Dayan Viciedo. They definitely needed a boost in offense, as they scored 675 runs in 1903, second last only to the Chicago White Sox, who were quite abysmal. With SP Todd Ritchie, and the recently drafted SP Chris Short in the fold, they may have enough depth to get through the grind of 162, and they certainly addressed a need as Scott Livingstone was their primary 1B last year.

As for the Athletics, they gave up 1,036 runs last year and still managed to finish 71-91 thanks to the best offense in baseball (858 runs). This is a team that desperately, desperately, desparately needed pitching and they got some with Lee. I have no earthly clue who they're gonna play at 1B, but they do have some pretty good internal options on the team. They could move Boog Powell, or Ed Delahanty from corner OF spots to cover it off and go with an OF that features Powell or Delahanty to go with Jim Fridley, recent ROY Ben Chapman, and Mark Whiten. Certainly their depth took a hit, but they may be able to cover this off after all. What. A. Trade.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #89
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
October 28th, 1903 is a day that will not soon be forgotten by fans of the New York Highlanders and the Philadelphia Athletics. That would be the day that New York dealt 3-time All-Star and 1901 Walter Johnson Award winner SP Cliff P Lee to the Athletics for 2-time All-Star, 2-time Brooks Robinson Award winner, 1-time Ted Williams Award winner 1B Steve Garvey. That takes some brass ones right there. Holy moley!!! Lee is heading into his age 34 season, while Garvey is just hitting his prime, going into his age 27 season. Oof! I was scanning the transactions log looking for various and sundry things when I came across that doozy.

Geez! I think the Highlanders won this one because of how much younger they got, but can their pitching staff take the hit? Scott T Baker moves up to the #1 spot and behind him are Earl Francis, Bucky Walters, Jim Barr, and Allan Anderson. The two through six spots in their lineup are looking quite murderous now. Dustin Pedroia, Steve Garvey, Minnie Minoso, Joe Lefebvre, and Dayan Viciedo. They definitely needed a boost in offense, as they scored 675 runs in 1903, second last only to the Chicago White Sox, who were quite abysmal. With SP Todd Ritchie, and the recently drafted SP Chris Short in the fold, they may have enough depth to get through the grind of 162, and they certainly addressed a need as Scott Livingstone was their primary 1B last year.

As for the Athletics, they gave up 1,036 runs last year and still managed to finish 71-91 thanks to the best offense in baseball (858 runs). This is a team that desperately, desperately, desparately needed pitching and they got some with Lee. I have no earthly clue who they're gonna play at 1B, but they do have some pretty good internal options on the team. They could move Boog Powell, or Ed Delahanty from corner OF spots to cover it off and go with an OF that features Powell or Delahanty to go with Jim Fridley, recent ROY Ben Chapman, and Mark Whiten. Certainly their depth took a hit, but they may be able to cover this off after all. What. A. Trade.
Trading for a 34 yr old pitcher is something you'd do if you are ready to win now. I don't see Lee making up the wins the A's need to be a contender in the short window left in Lee's career and giving up an asset like Garvey was too high a price.Interested to see how this works out.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #90
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Don't forget about 1930 when offense goes cuckoo bananas. A .296/.356/.434/.790 slash line for MLB with 5.55 R/G across the league? Hard pass for me thanks. JaBurns, if you want to stabilize stats output stick to one season. If you want it to be all over the place (maybe you do, I'm not sure), go for that. I don't understand why you'd want to stabilize it through the deadball era, and then release it to the whims of ever changing LTMs, but I'm sure you have your reasons. I suppose you could do it, but I have no idea what sorts of results you'll get. Maybe it'll work to your satisfaction, and that would be great. It's up to you. It's your game. Play it your way. Not saying my way of doing it is the one true way, but it is the way that I like the stats from my games to be. It adds to my enjoyment when offensive stats aren't whacked. I think it keeps things stable, but I could be totally wrong about that. T'wouldn't be the first time. T'wont be the last.
Really interesting would be to use 1894 as the perennial historical year. That was an all-time offensive output season, proportionally speaking. More than 7 runs per team per game, and home runs were at the 1930s levels per game.

It would be interesting to see what effect that would have on the modern players' stats.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #91
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Trading for a 34 yr old pitcher is something you'd do if you are ready to win now. I don't see Lee making up the wins the A's need to be a contender in the short window left in Lee's career and giving up an asset like Garvey was too high a price.Interested to see how this works out.
Forgot to mention the Athletics have two more years of control with Lee (which means they should be out from under his contract after his age 35 season), while the Highlanders have three with Garvey (he leaves after his age 29 season). It'll be interesting to follow for sure. I'm not sure you can qualify it as a win now move when you give up a 27 year old stud #3 hitter to get him. I think the AI looked at it like: we've got a great offense, but gawd does our pitching ever suck. Time to do something. Lee gives them two years to build something behind him to be ready for when he leaves. Right now they have 21 year old Terry Larkin (four more years of control) at the top of their rotation, and 27 year old Steve Cooke is a decent mid-rotation guy, but outside of that they still desperately need help.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #92
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Really interesting would be to use 1894 as the perennial historical year. That was an all-time offensive output season, proportionally speaking. More than 7 runs per team per game, and home runs were at the 1930s levels per game.

It would be interesting to see what effect that would have on the modern players' stats.
Oof. I would lose my mind with that much offense. 1984 for me every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure how I figured that out because it was the first one I tried, but it just looked right, and boy has it ever been right since I started with it.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #93
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

First Round of the 1903 Amateur Draft, with player ages as of June 30th, 1904, and all positions that they have ratings for:

1. Chicago White Sox: Jim McCormick, 20, RHP/LF/CF/RF
2. Pittsburgh Pirates: Robin Ventura, 20, 3B
3. Philadelphia Athletics: Raul Galata (Spritze DB Negro Leaguer), 19, LHP/1B/LF/RF
4. Boston Americans: Jack J Powell, 21, RHP/RF
5. Boston Beaneaters: Lave Cross, 20, C/3B
6. Chicago Cubs: Eddie Lopat, 25, LHP
7. Philadelphia Phillies: Pete Runnels, 22, 1B/2B
8. New York Highlanders: Chris Short, 20, LHP/C
9. Chicago Cubs: Tim Belcher, 24, RHP
10. Philadelphia Phillies: Carl Reynolds, 23, LF/CF/RF
11. Detroit Tigers: C J Wilson, 23, LHP
12. Philadelphia Phillies: George McBride, 19, SS
13. Washington Senators: Rube Foster, 24, RHP/LF
14. Chicago Cubs: Heath Bell, 25, RHP
15. Boston Beaneaters: Sandy Amoros, 21, LF/CF
16. Brooklyn Superbas: Michael Wuertz, 24, RHP

The southpaw trend continues (sort of). 10 pitchers enter the league via the draft, and four of them are lefties. We'll see if the predominantly right handed pitcher draft of 1902 (8 pitchers, all righties) filters down in a few years. No big time RL favourites to follow for me. Robin Ventura will be interesting to watch. Extremely underrated player IRL in my humble estimation.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #94
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1903 Awards:

AL Brooks Robinson Awards:

P: Alex Fernandez, 26, DET

C: Bengie Molina, 31, WS1

1B: Steve Garvey, 26, PHA

2B: Dustin Pedroia, 30, NYY

3B: Scott Brosius, 24, CLE

SS: Vern Stephens, 22, BOS

LF: Luis Olmo, 25, DET

CF: Marquis Grissom, 26, BOS

RF: Al Kaline, 20, CLE

NL Brooks Robinson Awards:

P: Jacob deGrom, 31, CHC

C: Keith Moreland, 28, STL

1B: Carlos Lee, 32, STL

2B: Bobby Knoop, 28, BRO

3B: Roy Howell, 22, NY1

SS: Buddy Kerr, 25, CIN

LF: Roy White, 32, CHC

CF: Ian Happ, 24, NY1

RF: Dale Murphy, 22, PHI

Old 05-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #95
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Am I mistaken or are the players in your league more from post 1950 than pre 1950. Looking at the award winners it seems that way to me or is my imagination running amok again?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #96
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Ted Williams Awards:

C: Robinson Chirinos, 31, SLA

1B: Steve Garvey, 26, PHA

2B: Cupid Childs, 22, SLA

3B: Jerry Denny, 27, DET

SS: Vern Stephens, 22, BOS

LF: Ron Kittle, 29, CLE

CF: Rick Monday, 27, SLA

RF: Al Kaline, 20, CLE

DH: Lefty O'Doul, 31, DET

NL Ted Williams Awards:

P: Al Orth, 32, CIN

C: Keith Moreland, 28, STL

1B: Mike Hargrove, 26, CIN

2B: Bill Madlock, 24, PHI

3B: Tommy Brown, 23, STL

SS: Alex Rodriguez, 27, CHC

LF: Mike Donlin, 29, BRO

CF: Brett Phillips, 25, CIN

RF: Joe Collins, 28, CIN

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #97
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Am I mistaken or are the players in your league more from post 1950 than pre 1950. Looking at the award winners it seems that way to me or is my imagination running amok again?
It's a decent mix of players from all eras (1871 to 2017). Remember that players from way back when will have trouble with the fielding awards which is what the post that you were commenting on was. Stephens, Olmo, and Kerr all straddle the 1940s and 1950s. I'm sure 19th century pitchers will dominate the pitching leaderboards. If you look at the recently posted Ted Williams Awards you'll see Cupid Childs, Jerry Denny, Lefty O'Doul, and Mike Donlin and they're all from the earlier days. Donlin is probably the best hitter in my league right now.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #98
Edster007
All Star Starter

Since you just sim, how a big a chunk do you sim at time? Until I took over a team I did a week at time reviewed some box scores and transactions and then if there was a good pennant race a day at a time.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #99
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's a decent mix of players from all eras (1871 to 2017). Remember that players from way back when will have trouble with the fielding awards which is what the post that you were commenting on was. Stephens, Olmo, and Kerr all straddle the 1940s and 1950s. I'm sure 19th century pitchers will dominate the pitching leaderboards. If you look at the recently posted Ted Williams Awards you'll see Cupid Childs, Jerry Denny, Lefty O'Doul, and Mike Donlin and they're all from the earlier days. Donlin is probably the best hitter in my league right now.
My mistake as usual......
Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #100
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

AL Mariano Rivera Award:

1. Jim H Devlin, LHP, 22, CLE
2. Kiko Calero, RHP, 35, SLA
3. Akinori Otsuka, RHP, 36, BOS
4. Mitch Williams, LHP, 24, PHA
5. Gus McGinnis, LHP, 24, NYY
6. Liam Hendriks, RHP, 26, DET