Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #61
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I'd definitely buy an NFL version - the fact that nothing's topped Front Page Sports Football since the late 1990s (in my mind) is very sad indeed.

Despite my somewhat-flippant remark above, I'd likely even buy the NBA version (primarily so that I could move the Carpetbaggers back to Seattle ).
A football version has been asked for about a thousand times (or more, honestly) and every time the developers have said, "No." I don't know why, exactly, but they seem to be dead set against making a football sim. I know that one of the OOTP guys said that he just didn't know anything about football, so it would be difficult to produce a quality game about it. I can sympathize with that, but man...an OOTP for football would be amazing.
deanemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #62
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanemj View Post
A football version has been asked for about a thousand times (or more, honestly) and every time the developers have said, "No." I don't know why, exactly, but they seem to be dead set against making a football sim. I know that one of the OOTP guys said that he just didn't know anything about football, so it would be difficult to produce a quality game about it. I can sympathize with that, but man...an OOTP for football would be amazing.
Because football is extremely difficult to make work. To realistically simulate the contract process, to put out some way to see the performance of your offensive linemen without having to watch the games, to simulate the intricate plays of football that affect players so strongly, and other things seems damn near impossible. Case in point: Justin Smith has been one of the best defensive players for the last few years, but his stats reflect those of a good but not great player for a multitude of reasons. How would you be able to simulate those reasons?
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #63
fredreed
Minors (Double A)

What's the release date?

Most likely if the NHL season is canceled it will not affect sales. The one thing that might change would be the rosters. They would likely I would think that they would have to use last seasons rosters. I am sure that they will announce sooner rather then later news on release of the game.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #64
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Any word on how long it will take to play a game(regulation time or overtime)? Would like too see the option of giving a team 3 points for regulation win,2 points for overtime or shootout win and one point for overtime or shootout loss(would really prefer 0 points for losing game at any point).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #65
CNOSLIM
Minors (Single A)

greydogsoftware.com -- is creating a football sim, not sure when it will be released but it said to still be in production
CNOSLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #66
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNOSLIM View Post
greydogsoftware.com -- is creating a football sim, not sure when it will be released but it said to still be in production
i think it is still planned on being completed but it's on hold right now. So that's never promising.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #67
mickey7
Minors (Double A)

You two are talking about a game that was announced "in development" on January 20th 2007---six years ago !!! You really think it will ever be released ???
mickey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #68
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey7 View Post
You two are talking about a game that was announced "in development" on January 20th 2007---six years ago !!! You really think it will ever be released ???
Even Duke Nukem Forever was eventually released

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #69
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gary recently said that he's continuing work on it and it's either his main project currently or upcoming. Or something to that effect.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #70
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I know it's stupid that we all ask for any kind of news again and again ...

But hey, these guys definitely sit in front of their computers and have access to the internet ... why not post a short "That's where we are right now" here on the boards ?
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #71
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
I know it's stupid that we all ask for any kind of news again and again ...

But hey, these guys definitely sit in front of their computers and have access to the internet ... why not post a short "That's where we are right now" here on the boards ?
You answered your own question.

Anything they posted here would be met with pages of questions and speculation and demands for answers to the quesitons and speculation. Just let them work and get back to us when there's something concrete to report.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #72
mickey7
Minors (Double A)

Damien, Gary is at Wolverine Studios not Greydog---Greydog is Arlie's company and I don't believe he's made any recent comments about the pro football game.
mickey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #73
Omegatron
Bat Boy

Love how the subject has changed from release date to why not make a different sim. But my opinion on why not a football sim or basketball sim, is the fact that both Baseball and Hockey have a more complex system then the others. Not saying that baseball and hockey are better than football and basketball, but they're more suited for sims. Just how the leagues are setup in general is what makes them better suited for a sim.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #74
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Damien, Gary is at Wolverine Studios not Greydog---Greydog is Arlie's company and I don't believe he's made any recent comments about the pro football game.
Oh wow. I don't even consider Greydog's promised football sim because Arlie does just about jack **** aside from make empty promises. Adam Ryland is a fantastic developer (my second favorite to Markus) and I find it ludicrous that Arlie still gets a lot of the credit. But yeah, Gary over at Wolverine Studios is working on a football game that doesn't sound too, too far off.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #75
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
Love how the subject has changed from release date to why not make a different sim. But my opinion on why not a football sim or basketball sim, is the fact that both Baseball and Hockey have a more complex system then the others. Not saying that baseball and hockey are better than football and basketball, but they're more suited for sims. Just how the leagues are setup in general is what makes them better suited for a sim.
As a programmer I think it would be more difficult to make a football or basketball sim.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #76
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I will be more active on the forum in the near future but (as always) the reason for my silence is easy to explain: I work 24/7 on the code, the GUI design (with Daniela), the PR front (with Brad), the research front (with our core research group) and I had 2 (small) unscheduled iOOTP updates.

Another reason why I posted not much is (or better was) a lack of understanding what we can expect from version one feature-wise. It's not that funny to always answer "I can't say for sure" or "maybe first version, maybe later". As per today we have a fixed feature list so for me it is now very clear what version one will have and I can talk better about it.

I had to learn that it is not possible to make everyone happy, some people will be disappointed about missing features but after all it is version 1 and we have to work with limitations (both on time and men-power).

For the release date I will not say anything specific (that will alway backfire) but whatever happens in the NHL will have no influence to it.

Before you guys ask: yes, we will release the feature list (and a few screenshots) soon, but again, thats time I have to cut from coding.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #77
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

If by making weekly updates, scrrenshots and dev diaries sets you back another week or two I would say its worth it. The higher amount of ttaffic helps with word of mouth. And that sort of marketing can't be understated on how important it is to keep this sim alive past the first version.

Last edited by dave1927p; 12-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #78
Methodz
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I will be more active on the forum in the near future but (as always) the reason for my silence is easy to explain: I work 24/7 on the code, the GUI design (with Daniela), the PR front (with Brad), the research front (with our core research group) and I had 2 (small) unscheduled iOOTP updates.

Another reason why I posted not much is (or better was) a lack of understanding what we can expect from version one feature-wise. It's not that funny to always answer "I can't say for sure" or "maybe first version, maybe later". As per today we have a fixed feature list so for me it is now very clear what version one will have and I can talk better about it.

I had to learn that it is not possible to make everyone happy, some people will be disappointed about missing features but after all it is version 1 and we have to work with limitations (both on time and men-power).

For the release date I will not say anything specific (that will alway backfire) but whatever happens in the NHL will have no influence to it.

Before you guys ask: yes, we will release the feature list (and a few screenshots) soon, but again, thats time I have to cut from coding.
Hopefully these features that won't make it can eventually be patched in or come out in the next version. Patch releases would be awesome though.

Last edited by Methodz; 12-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Methodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #79
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodz View Post
Hopefully these features that won't make it can eventually be patched in or come out in the next version. Patch releases would be awesome though.
Thats what I hope people understand: the first version is just a beginning of a loooong journey. If you look at OOTP 1 -> OOTP 6 -> OOTP 8 (the one after SI) and OOTP 13 it is amazing what Markus did over the years. The same with iOOTP, if I compare 2011 on release date with 2011 before I started work on 2012 we added so much stuff in updates. That is (and always will be) the way OOTP Development works: improve your products with free updates, improve every new version, listen to your community and make the best product possible.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #80
Djungelurban
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well yeah, all I really need from this first version is to be able to see the potential and that your design philosophy about what the game series could be somewhat lines up with my hopes for it. You can't expect an entirely new franchise, especially from a small team like this, to be the greatest game experience ever day one, it's just not gonna happen. So yeah, as long as I can see in this game that development is heading in the general right direction and that what you're building right now can evolve into something that resembles what I wish it to become two or three versions down the line, then I'm perfectly happy with that. Good core mechanics basically, that's all I hope for right now...
Djungelurban is offline   Reply With Quote