Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Gingivits
Bat Boy

Statistics for Positions

Hi Everyone,

I don't really follow baseball (football is my sport of choice) but I love sport management simulators. Been playing OOTP 19 for a while now but not long enough. Trying to understand all of the stats can be overwhelming and I am looking for a quick reference for statistic priority for each positions.

Things like, a catcher with great batting will be hard to find so try to find ones with a great arm/catcher ability instead or should a center fielder be a more defensive player or hitter? Also, should I be looking at WAR more often then Ks/9 or things of that nature.

I can generally build a decent rotation of pitchers so I do somewhat understand pitching but my hitting is always lower than most teams and my best season so far (out of 4 I believe) only gave me 80-90 wins and wildcard losses.

I did try scouring the forums for things like this but it proves to be difficult so if there are already posts like that on here, please link them for me.

Thank you!
Gingivits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

There's a link in my signature to user studies

There, there's a link to ALB's Cheat Sheet.

It has some good information, as does the thread.

A lot of people will say that defense up the middle (catcher, SS, 2B, CF) is super important. That's not really true. If other teams are loading up on defense at those positions, and you have, say, a catcher who can hit, that player can be just as, or more, valuable relatively.

Generally, offense is more important. In that there is more variation between the best and the worst hitters than there is between the best and the worst defensive players. Now, this is, at least in part, because teams usually have a minimum threshold for defense they will tolerate at a position. You could put a slugging first baseman at catcher, but they'd probably be so terrible that even with the improved offense, you'd come up in the negative on that.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Someone just posted this in another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmissiongoggles View Post
This guy is always consistent at the plate and helped his team win the world series multiple times. His career zone rating, though...
Terrible defensive second baseman who's very productive and has won championships
Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Gingivits
Bat Boy

Thank you CBeisbol. That helps a lot with the cheat sheet. I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Finally made the playoffs in my third year. I was sad that this year I was a better overall team but my pitching took a dip with the same core until about midway where I traded for a lefty finally. Top pitcher went from a 2.54 ERA and 294 Ks to 4.41 ERA with 264 Ks.
Gingivits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
CBeisbol
Banned

Walk rates, K rates, HR rates and FIP and FiP- are going to tell a lot more about your pitching than ERA