Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #41
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
If you can do so without being a condescending d***, then yes. The problem is you can't. At least you have not shown your ability to do so on these boards. You either act is if you're smarter than everyone here or jump straight to saying what someone said is a bunch of crap. There's no attempt at measured conversation.

"I'm not sure 'quantify' is the word you're looking for" works. Or "Could you explain to me what you mean by by quantify here because I feel like it means something else.?" Those get the point across that I probably used the wrong word without coming across as condescending or overly rude by saying what I said was a bunch of crap.
Sounds like a bunch of [malarky]

I don't see the difference between these

Quote:
Please quote where anyone in this thread said that what the Astros or Red Sox did was okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Can you quantify that difference for me?
I think you're at least as condescending as I am. I won't comment on whether i think you're as smart as I am.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #42
thehef
Hall Of Famer

I agree that what the Black Sox did and what the BlackStros did were not the same, mainly for the reasons mentioned by others here. Here's where I have a beef with it, though:

On a scale of 1-10 as far as severity of wrong-doing, with "excessive pine tar on bat" being a 1, "doctored ball" being a 3, and "throwing a world series" (a la the Black Sox) being a 10, I'd have to put Houston's cheating somewhere in the vicinity of at least a 7. (Can certainly split hairs on all of these; not the point.)

However, when we get to punishments, if a 1 is a small fine, 3 is a short suspension, and 10 is lifetime ban from the game, while some non-players receiving somewhat significant punishment, the players got a 0 from MLB, and maybe a number slightly higher - but still pretty low - in the form of the ridicule, embarrassment, and disdain they have received from the public. But nothing on par with the severity of what they did. Not even a figurative "slap on the wrist"...

IMO, anyways...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #43
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I agree that what the Black Sox did and what the BlackStros did were not the same, mainly for the reasons mentioned by others here. Here's where I have a beef with it, though:

On a scale of 1-10 as far as severity of wrong-doing, with "excessive pine tar on bat" being a 1, "doctored ball" being a 3, and "throwing a world series" (a la the Black Sox) being a 10, I'd have to put Houston's cheating somewhere in the vicinity of at least a 7. (Can certainly split hairs on all of these; not the point.)

However, when we get to punishments, if a 1 is a small fine, 3 is a short suspension, and 10 is lifetime ban from the game, while some non-players receiving somewhat significant punishment, the players got a 0 from MLB, and maybe a number slightly higher - but still pretty low - in the form of the ridicule, embarrassment, and disdain they have received from the public. But nothing on par with the severity of what they did. Not even a figurative "slap on the wrist"...

IMO, anyways...
I know baseball has said that their hands were tied when it came to punishing players. However, there was a lot of stuff that came out in the aftermath of other acts of dishonesty, some by larger than life figures in the game, (looking at you Tony LaRussa) that could be traced back for decades. This may have been the real driver behind why players got off without punishment. The pandemic really saved baseball from actually having to deal with its own closet full of demons head on.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #44
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

The players had immunity. MLB has said that if they didn't give the players immunity they would not have talked.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #45
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Wow.

So you guys are saying the end justifies the means. Do whatever it takes, even if it's illegal, to win. Corked bats, spit balls, steroids, whatever it takes. Just don't get caught? Why not put spy cams in the opposition's dugout or plant spies in their coaching staff....

No wonder baseball is where it is. I remember when America had a reputation for fair play. This explains the POS in the white house.

Cap
I am certainly not saying that I believe anything goes. I was saying, however, that I think there is a difference in cheating to try to gain an advantage and in throwing games. The former needs to be punished, but the latter threatens the entire sport and leagues jump on it the hardest.

There is a reason why almost every sport puts gambling by its participants as a major issue. Why would I go to a game, if I thought that the results was being pre-decided?

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #46
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I am certainly not saying that I believe anything goes. I was saying, however, that I think there is a difference in cheating to try to gain an advantage and in throwing games. The former needs to be punished, but the latter threatens the entire sport and leagues jump on it the hardest.

There is a reason why almost every sport puts gambling by its participants as a major issue. Why would I go to a game, if I thought that the results was being pre-decided?
Ahh, yes, but what if both teams are trying to lose.
It could be just as competitive as if both teams were trying to win
[/semi-sarcasm]
Old 08-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #47
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Ahh, yes, but what if both teams are trying to lose.
It could be just as competitive as if both teams were trying to win
[/semi-sarcasm]
Reminds me of an old story, could possibly be from Arabian Nights. An elderly father tells his 2 sons that he will give his wealth to the one whose camel reaches a distant city last. After a day of no movement, suddenly the sons are seen racing out of the city. When asked what changed, he said, "They are each riding the other's camel!"

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #48
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

I've been mulling this thread over for a couple days now and CBeisbol I owe you an apology. I was a tool to you and I'm sorry. My actions did not represent who I strive to be.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #49
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I've been mulling this thread over for a couple days now and CBeisbol I owe you an apology. I was a tool to you and I'm sorry. My actions did not represent who I strive to be.
And not even a mod-imposed apology - since the masked swears, on which the mods are pretending to be cracking down, are still there. As is the thread in the main forum with a swearing abbreviation in the thread title. And lots of other masked swears all over the forums.

Quote:
After noticing a number of new posts lately with masked swears or swearing abbreviations in them, we would like to remind everyone try to keep these main boards (Off Topic and OTD boards are not included) relatively clean and family-friendly.

Also note that quoting inappropriate content, like swears, is also against the rules, as is trolling and things of that nature. You can read the full rules here.

Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules, please.
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=210733

Ahh, yes, but, remember, the mods don't make any pretense about enforcing the rules fairly or consistently
Quote:
Moderators have the right to make judgment calls on whether or not something is warnable. They can even ignore infractions if they wish to.
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=318776

Anyway, that has nothing to do with you.

No worries, cephasjame.
We all, myself included, have our toolish moments.

I suppose my original comment, "can you quantify that difference for me" could have been worded with more tact.

But, us being internet strangers, I don't take your personal comments, well, personally.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #50
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But, us being internet strangers, I don't take your personal comments, well, personally.
And on that note, I hereby end my hiatus and return to this forum with an empty Ignore List. I enjoy my time here and I am not going to let anybody drive me away. The Ignore List will be in my head, subjectively and impassively applied. There is no reason for me to 1) need people to always agree with me, or 2) become upset when they disagree in a rude manner.

It's a new beginning.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote