Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #381
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Don't know if you've been following this story, but what the Jets are doing is reprehensible.
Not condoning how the Jets have handled the situation (although they seem to be relenting now), just wanted to point out there was no mention in here of Cordy Glenn being shouted at, fined for conduct detrimental and suspended for a game because he was still feeling concussion symptoms and didn't want to play for Cincinnati. I find that equally reprehensible.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #382
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Not condoning how the Jets have handled the situation (although they seem to be relenting now), just wanted to point out there was no mention in here of Cordy Glenn being shouted at, fined for conduct detrimental and suspended for a game because he was still feeling concussion symptoms and didn't want to play for Cincinnati. I find that equally reprehensible.
Hadn't heard about it until you mentioned it. I think the NFLPA would be all over that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #383
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think it is all Trubisky. I think it is Chicago. How many Pro Bowl QB's & WR's can you name who played for the Bears in the last 20-30 years? I said during his draft year that I didn't get the hype surrounding him. I prefered Watson and I'm a UNC fan. But because I'm a Tar Heel fan, I didn't want him drafted by Chicago cause no one in the passing game survives there.
Thinking back, the last pretty good QB Chicago had was probably Jay Cutler in his prime. Other than him every other QB dating back to the 80s has been blah.

In other news, why all the uproar over letting the "seeing ghosts" comment get out by Darnold? The dude is into the holiday spirit! In all seriousness, all he did was admit the Patriots D was giving him problems. Not a big deal to me.

In other other news, the crap Cowboys got DE Bennet from the Patriots. Should be interesting. Maybe he can play opposite Quinn.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #384
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Thinking back, the last pretty good QB Chicago had was probably Jay Cutler in his prime. Other than him every other QB dating back to the 80s has been blah.
Exactly. I would argue calling Cutler "pretty good" is generous.
Quote:
In other news, why all the uproar over letting the "seeing ghosts" comment get out by Darnold? The dude is into the holiday spirit! In all seriousness, all he did was admit the Patriots D was giving him problems. Not a big deal to me.
It's NYC. Sports media jumps on any weakness. They are like a wolfpack looking for a calf w/a limp. Jets probably didn't want to expose him to that extra scrutiny.

Quote:
In other other news, the crap Cowboys got DE Bennet from the Patriots. Should be interesting. Maybe he can play opposite Quinn.
I thought they had Lawrence?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #385
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like the Jets ain't letting up.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #386
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Gase has as many double-digit losses as wins in his career

Not good.
Not defending Gase, but how much of that has to do with the organizations he's coached, as a whole? Have any of his teams underachieved, or have they essentially met their low expectations, talent-wise?

Granted, in the one year Miami was expected to be decent and Gase was expected to be able to put his stamp on the team, Tannehill got hurt (and then Gase turned to Cutler - not Gase's best decision but going all season with a backup wouldn't have resulted in much else...).
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #387
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They do. But Quinn is out playing him by far this season so far. It's not even close. That said, I haven't payed close enough attention to the DLine play to see if Lawrence is getting double teamed or hit at the line. The times I watch I do notice DLaw getting extra attention. So that's probably why Quinn is standing out. He's one on one with the LT. Can't stop them both unless you keep 7 in to block.

My comment was in jest since Lawrence is the 100 million dollar man.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #388
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dude has a union, what are they doing for him? The Jets are doing this with a union in place. Can you imagine what would go on without one?
Old 10-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #389
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #390
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dude has a union, what are they doing for him? The Jets are doing this with a union in place. Can you imagine what would go on without one?
Great advertising for when the Jets start shopping in free agency
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #391
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They do. But Quinn is out playing him by far this season so far. It's not even close. That said, I haven't payed close enough attention to the DLine play to see if Lawrence is getting double teamed or hit at the line. The times I watch I do notice DLaw getting extra attention. So that's probably why Quinn is standing out. He's one on one with the LT. Can't stop them both unless you keep 7 in to block.

They just put Tyrone Crawford on injured reserve so someone like Bennett that has versatility and experience should help, especially since they gave up so little for him.

-----------------------

From the Jets' perspective, they want to push Osemele to play because he's expensive and his money is guaranteed this year. Because he's expensive and aging, Osemele will almost certainly be cut this offseason. So they'd rather he scarf down painkillers til he's blue in the face and push through rather than make the move that would be best for him, because him making that move means they paid a fourth round pick and over $11 million for 3 bad games from Osemele.

My take on this (which is entirely based on assumption): A few years ago this situation probably would have played out the Jets' way with no questions asked. But with players taking more control over their own situations, and being more weary of team training staffs after situations like Trent Williams in Washington and Kawhi Leonard with San Antonio in the NBA, players are less likely to make these concessions for the good of the team (a team that, by and large, was almost certainly going to release Osemele after one season anyway, so why should he be loyal to them and make the huge concession that would have been considered taking one for the team a few years ago?).

I don't know if Joe Douglas is trying to look tough after replacing a wishy washy GM in Maccagnan or what but the team needs to stop tripping over its own shoelaces, concede that Osemele was a sunk cost and let him have his surgery without harassing him about it. They're expecting him to show them the loyalty they would get out of a player that spent a decade with the organization when the odds were extremely high they would release him or force a re-structured contract after this season.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #392
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They just put Tyrone Crawford on injured reserve so someone like Bennett that has versatility and experience should help, especially since they gave up so little for him.

-----------------------

From the Jets' perspective, they want to push Osemele to play because he's expensive and his money is guaranteed this year. Because he's expensive and aging, Osemele will almost certainly be cut this offseason. So they'd rather he scarf down painkillers til he's blue in the face and push through rather than make the move that would be best for him, because him making that move means they paid a fourth round pick and over $11 million for 3 bad games from Osemele.

My take on this (which is entirely based on assumption): A few years ago this situation probably would have played out the Jets' way with no questions asked. But with players taking more control over their own situations, and being more weary of team training staffs after situations like Trent Williams in Washington and Kawhi Leonard with San Antonio in the NBA, players are less likely to make these concessions for the good of the team (a team that, by and large, was almost certainly going to release Osemele after one season anyway, so why should he be loyal to them and make the huge concession that would have been considered taking one for the team a few years ago?).

I don't know if Joe Douglas is trying to look tough after replacing a wishy washy GM in Maccagnan or what but the team needs to stop tripping over its own shoelaces, concede that Osemele was a sunk cost and let him have his surgery without harassing him about it. They're expecting him to show them the loyalty they would get out of a player that spent a decade with the organization when the odds were extremely high they would release him or force a re-structured contract after this season.
Sounds about right. He probably knows they're not going to keep him next season at 11 million, so why should he take one for the team?

On Tyrone Crawford. I am not happy that he is injured. I don't get happy when any player gets injured on any team. But lets just say I'm happy he's not playing. I'll leave it at that since this is the sports section, not OTD.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #393
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Stay classy, Jests.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #394
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope the Cowboys pick him up. They could always use good OL help.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #395
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope the Cowboys pick him up. They could always use good OL help.
Just saw my typo. Wonder what Freud would say about that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #396
madjac74
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

As a Cowboys fan I say this emphatically..."I thought so too!!!"
madjac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #397
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

For fantasy football next week should I play Lamar Jackson vs New England or pick up Jared Goff off of waivers to play vs Cincy?
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #398
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
For fantasy football next week should I play Lamar Jackson vs New England or pick up Jared Goff off of waivers to play vs Cincy?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #399
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Nm Goff has a bye next week
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #400
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
You don't take anything against the Patriots. Nothing.