Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #641
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Gettleman is a pompous asshole who should be hit by a bus. Releasing steve smith is unforgivable.

So was Hurney guaranteeing huge money to deangelo williams and jonathan stewart at the same time. Don't pay running backs, especially mediocre ones, especially TWO OF THEM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #642
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Gettleman is a pompous asshole who should be hit by a bus. Releasing steve smith is unforgivable.

So was Hurney guaranteeing huge money to deangelo williams and jonathan stewart at the same time. Don't pay running backs, especially mediocre ones, especially TWO OF THEM.
Hurney admitted he was too sentimental during his 1st tenure. When he got rehired he said he would do things differently. Ergo, Thomas Davis is w/the Chargers.

And I would agree w/u about Steve Smith & would add Josh Norman.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #643
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

If the NFL flew a black panthers flag at all games would that solve the social justice issue?
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #644
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Count me as one who thinks the Kapernick situtation can be reasonably and calmly discussed, even amongst those who may disagree.

I think the linked article below is a pretty fair and non-inflammatory assessment of both the perception and realities of the recent workout and it's after-affects. And it's also supports why I think that it's completely untrue that the league has blackballed him. While talent-wise he'd probably rank somewhere in the bottom third of starters/top-tier of backups, he's essentially blackballed himself by himself by making himself not worth the hassle.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fair-or-not...210253095.html
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #645
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
If the NFL flew a black panthers flag at all games would that solve the social justice issue?
Flying them in Charlotte didn't prevent Jerry Richardson from owning the team.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #646
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Is that redundant, or is it just me?
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #647
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Is that redundant, or is it just me?
Panther is actually a family of cat species, with a few specific ones being called Panther as well, not always black. there is anot a specific species called panther. The original Panther was a spotted mythological Beast.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #648
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Panther is actually a family of cat species, with a few specific ones being called Panther as well, not always black. there is anot a specific species called panther. The original Panther was a spotted mythological Beast.
Not that I am aware of. They are either Jaguars or leopards with a condition. If you get close enough you can actually see the spots and patterns on their coat. But black on black is hard to see at a distance. At least those are the majority of the panthers we see. If there is an actual species called panther, then I learned something new.

https://facts.net/nature/animals/panther-facts

Quote:
It turns out many of us have even the most basic of panther facts wrong. We tend to assume that a panther is an entirely separate species of big cat. However, when we discuss panther facts, we usually actually mean either jaguar or leopard facts, depending on the geographic location.

Last edited by Ragnar; 11-20-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #649
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Week 11 picks
Ind at hou-3.5 pick hou(loss)
TB@ATL(-4) Pick: ATL
DEN@BUF(-4) Pick: BUF
NYG@CHI(-6) PICK: NYG
PIT(-6.5)@CIN PICK: PIT
MIA@CLE(-10.5) PICK: CLE
CAR@NO(-9.5) PICK: CAR
OAK(-3)@NYJ PICK: OAK
DET(-3.5)@WAS PICK: DET
SEA@PHI(-1.5) PICK: SEA
JAX@TEN(-3.5) PICK: JAX
DAL@NE(-6.5) PICK: DAL
GB@SF(-3) PICK: GB
BAL(-3)@LAR PICK: BAL

Last edited by monkeyman576; 11-22-2019 at 02:24 AM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #650
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

So apparently Mason Rudolph said a racial slur to provoke Garrett... makes sense.

Myles hasnt been like that at all through his career and then he snaps like that in a game hes easily winning? Sounds like a ton of apologism, makes complete sense and the NFL is trying to stop controversy
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #651
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The NFL doesn't give a bleep about character. Only talent. We are talking about the same team that signed Kareem Hunt,

But personally, I don't believe he deserves a lifetime ban or to get fired. One of the things I loved about my dad was that he never punished us for some of the worst stuff we did. Because he could see the fear, shame, remorse or all of the above in our faces & knew we wouldn't do it again. That's what discipline is for. To correct & prevent it from happening again.

Garrett's post game reaction leads me to believe he is sorry for what happened. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't believe he'll come close to doing something like this again. The suspension gets more use as a warning to the rest of the NFL not to cross a similar line. I think he will, and should, play for the Browns again. I don't believe someone should be eternally punished for one terrible mistake that didn't take or ruin a life.
Kareem Hunt did NOTHING wrong, he got called the n-word by some white woman. That's why it got turned into a 6 game suspension.
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #652
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by campinginalaska View Post
So apparently Mason Rudolph said a racial slur to provoke Garrett... makes sense.

Myles hasnt been like that at all through his career and then he snaps like that in a game hes easily winning? Sounds like a ton of apologism, makes complete sense and the NFL is trying to stop controversy
You are either an idiot or working an agenda if you give any credibility to Garrett.

No one around heard it, there are mics everywhere and none picked it up, and he waits an entire week before telling anybody?

Last edited by dkgo; 11-23-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #653
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kareem Hunt did NOTHING wrong, he got called the n-word by some white woman. That's why it got turned into a 6 game suspension.
You get called a name and that justifies attacking someone? The world would turn into anarchy if everyone attacked someone for name calling, "did nothing wrong" the mind boggles.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #654
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kareem Hunt didn't just hit the woman. He lied about what happened to the team AAANNNNDDD hit & shoved the people who were trying to hold him back. Including his black friends who should have been just as incensed as Hunt was if it was justified as you claim. He knew he was wrong that's why he tried to hide it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #655
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

the guy kicked a woman while she was on the ground. he should be in jail
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #656
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Earlier this week, after the incident but before the hearings and apologies and allegations, I was driving and listening to sports talk radio and I-said-I-says to myself, "there's going to be an allegation of the n-word being said." And a day or two later, well there ya go... At any rate...

There a TON of incendiary things said by players during an NFL (or NBA) game, including things that rhyme with witch, sock-ducker, mother pucker, and worse (and creatively combined...). These are generally excused or dismissed during the heat of battle. Plus, I'm sure, the particular word in question is fine as long as it's said from one black dude to another. I'm not at all suggesting that Rudolph said that explosive word to Garrett (based upon what we know, he probably didn't; we'll probably never know for sure), but even if he did, why do we excuse so many things said or done in the heat of the moment, except for that particular word? It's truly a shame that we so disrespect the intelligence and emotional control of our black population (especially young black males) by conditioning them to think that they must take offense to the N word (when said by other races) in massive disproportion to any other spoken insults. I'm not saying anyone is excusing Garrett's reaction if that word was said to him, but I can't even believe how many people out there (sports media types, primarily) who actually think it makes a difference (i.e., makes his reaction somewhat understandable). Flat out, it shouldn't. And if we, as a society, are willing to excuse/forgive folks for saying many other things in the heat of the moment, we should be willing to do the same for someone who dropped an N-bomb (assuming it was simply said in the heat of the moment and there's no reason to think that they are otherwise some sort of horrible person or whatever). After all, it's just a word. It's not a two-by-four to the head.

The other thing I can't understand is - again judging by sports media types - how many think that, based upon Garrett's reaction and how serious the allegation is that he's making, he must have heard that word; otherwise there's no way he would've reacted that way and no way he'd make that up and intentionally & unjustly try to inflict serious harm to Rudolph's character. Yet these same people don't take a breath and a) realize that there's clearly a motivation to make it up - namely, to lessen his penalty and salvage some of his reputation, and b) if you're going to give Garrett the benefit of the doubt that "there's no way he'd do that," you'd have to give Rudolph the same benefit of the doubt along the lines of, "who in their right mind - where a majority of both teammates, opponents, and the head coach are black, and in society where that word is freaking dynamite and, if said, can be career-altering - would utter it?"
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #657
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'm not going to reply to any responses I get from the following because I feel most of the time these convos lead to nowhere. I also don't want to have this thread derailed to social discussion and not about football. But sometimes things are said that just irks me to a very high level and I feel I have to speak up. Because if sensible words remain unsaid, the ignorant ones will be the only ones that are heard.

No non-black person ever used the n-word in anger towards a black person because "it's just a word". There is reason and purpose behind it. And the purpose is to demean a black person in the most vicious way they know how. The intent is clear just as if someone took a gun out and fired it towards them. There is a reason why racists use the word over and over and over again. Because in their context they want to tout their perceived superiority and show us to be the 3/5ths of human they think we are.

When used in that context it is not something to be ignored. It is not to be treated like any other insult. It is not a temporary loss of etiquette. It is a window to the heart. It is to be addressed w/the greatest, but reasonable, severity possible. As I've said before, your tolerance is measured by your willingness to discipline it. I'm sorry there maybe some hurt feelings over this, but claiming there is nothing to the word is equal to saying there is nothing to the dignity of the black race.

That is not just to whites. That is to blacks as well. I find it absurd when blacks refer to each other as "my n---". They are demeaning themselves. And they go contrary to the belief that all races are equal. If it is ok for one race to say it, it is ok for ALL races to say it. If it is wrong for one race to say it, it is wrong for ALL races to say it. I have told my friends and even my own parents "I ain't nobody's n----, including you". They know not to use it around me. It is ugly, degrading and hateful no matter whose mouth it comes from. Intended or not.

W/ Myles Garrett, I too predicted in my mind that Rudolph would be accused of saying something racist. Sadly, I've seen too many black men lose their self control and try to dismiss it by claiming the n-word was used. Instead of taking responsibility for their actions. While looking short term to pull their own tails out of the fire, in the long run it causes skepticism among others when racist language has actually been used. So when racism has taken place, we aren't taken seriously or have our complaints dismissed. It hurts us all and allows those secret klansmen & nazi sympathizers to continue in their positions of power. So I was dismayed when word came out of Myles' excuse. I don't believe his retelling of events.

However, I will say the way this all came about leads me to surmise he really does believe that it came out of Rudolph's mouth. Myles and his camp did not put this out to the public. They kept it quiet, seem on the surface genuinely upset that it came out, and we found out about this from Rudolph's lawyer. Most of the time when I've noticed people come up with that lie, they make a public spectacle of it. Doesn't prove by any means that he and his camp didn't fabricate this whole thing. But it leaves the door open in my mind that Myles could have sincerely believed he heard it.

But, as he has admitted, that is no excuse for what he did. Maybe the reason, but not a valid excuse. People who use the n-word angrily are saying the target is nothing but an instinctive, non-thinking animal. When you go off just because you heard that word, you are in essence proving that person right. You are acting like an animal, an illogical beast whose initial thought is to maim, hurt and kill instead of using self-control. It is the people who say the n-word who are the instinctive, non-thinking animal with nothing but hurt on their mind when provoked.

Make sure when the dust settles everyone can see that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 11-23-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #658
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

In Hunt's case, a physical response to a verbal assault is usually a losing cause. Only one person goes to jail.

As far as Garrett goes. Hypothetically speaking, if Mason did call him a racial slur it still wouldn't exonerate Myles. If anything it would penalize Mason under whatever rules the NFL has regarding that.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #659
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Anyone been to the Hall of Fame in Canton? How many days would you set aside? 1? 2? Or even 3? I like to take my time at museums and such rather than just fly by everything.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #660
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Anyone been to the Hall of Fame in Canton? How many days would you set aside? 1? 2? Or even 3? I like to take my time at museums and such rather than just fly by everything.
I went once. Unfortunately, I went on a whim. My brother got married in Detroit & on the drive back to Carolina, I decide to detour there. But it was Sunday and the place close early. So I only had 45 minutes.

From what I could see, I don't think you need more than a day. But, as of tomorrow, that was 18 years ago. My bro's anny is today.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance