Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #21
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgz24 View Post
I like the idea of a shortlist for my top prospects. How did you determine your “top prospects”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, isn't that where the rubber meets the road!

Somewhat depends upon how much you trust your head scout of course.
As I'm sure was mentioned here earlier (sorry, jumping around from thread to thread and forget what was here), very important that you have a good head scout. Makes all the difference in terms of identifying talent, especially when it comes to minor league prospects/suspects.

Your very top prospects are usually no brainers. Great potential ratings, whether it is the OSA scouting them or your own scouting team. But where does one draw the line when it comes to decent prospects who don't fit into the "can't miss" (which, of course, doesn't always come true, especially with pitchers) category?
That might depend upon you and your biases. My bias is in favor of high speed, great defense guys who are still quite young as long as their offensive potential isn't too terribly low. I figure they can at least give me some decent help on the bench someday. I'm also very biased towards strong defensive catchers, even if they don't have much hitting potential, especially if they can at least draw a lot of walks and might hit for some power (gap and/or HR). And if a guy is a line drive hitter with great contact potential (and has the good avoid K's potential to go with it), it doesn't much matter to me if most of the rest of his ratings are only potentially average (especially if he has a high gap power rating potential), he is a prospect to watch in my book. I haven't even said anything about pitchers really. That's just such a long story and far harder to predict. (But if a reliever, if two good pitches already pretty well developed with great potential and great stuff potential, as long as movement or control aren't completely hopeless, I'll monitor him for progress.)

Might not be a bad idea to start with just a few tremendous prospects that you shortlist and control promotions/demotions for at first. Then expand your list as you become more comfortable with what skills/ratings/character combinations seem to work best for you over time.

(Sorry, not trying to answer this question for jcmurr, but figured you are generally looking for input and thought this was a great question.)

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 04-02-2019 at 06:16 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
matingly23
Minors (Double A)

It's never "impossible" to sign a draft pick. If nothing is available that you feel it's worth spending an early round pick on, see if there are any "impossible" to sign guys left over and draft them. You'll usually need to offer them 2-3 times what they say they need more than and they suddenly it's very possible they will sign with you.

If you fail to sign a pick and it's a high enough pick, you get a compensation pick in the following year's draft. So you can wait/hope for a better draft class the following year.

Also once the players your scout likes are all gone, take a look at what the OSA scouts like. In my experience those guys will tend to have more trade value than anyone else available at that point. In general prospects who are very highly rated by the OSA may also be coveted by many of the AI teams, even if they're all wrong and the player turns out to match your own scout's ratings.
matingly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda234 View Post
I find that after the first 7 or 8 rounds all that are left are the 1/2 star players that don't seem to have a future. Are they worth drafting?

I've also noticed that I might draft 8-10 players in a round but only 6 or 7 show up to negotiate with. Is that standard?
you are basically down to very improbably luck that any real talent still exists in those rounds... BUT, Talent Change Randomness is a thing in OOTP... so, the more players you ahve in your system, the higher chance you'll get a suprise later on.

so, keep the mil system chunky, but not crowded for sure. whether you draft or AI drafts those players is likely not important, BUT you could focus on maybe 1 attribute that's decent and maybe that helps with %-chance of a talent change randomness event to actually make him worth while ... as opposed to needing an entire overhaul of ratings etc... (not sure if true... focus on peak ability or rounded players.. one or the other is probably better idea)

i like to draft until i have my literal bases covered. i make sure i draft 2-3 ss/cf/c every year. i make sure teams will have enough of each position before i let AI finish up my draft. then, i often cut half of the players they pick immediately after a draft, lol.

---

shortlists are great for organizing thoughts... i have a To Trade list, trade Targets list, a keeper Prospect list etc. i use default as a temp list all the time..move to another list as needed or clear out when done.. maintaining incrementally amounts to little work.. if you don't maintain it's a chore not worth doing if it takes too much time for many types of lists.

enabling trading picks can allow you to have the first 3-5 picks of every single draft, if you want. you can have every single top-talent if you get to take the top 3-5+, lol -- not counting TCR and poor scouting. you don't even have to do cheaty-things like sign and trade a bunch of FA. you can do it just with disciplined player turnover -- spread out evenly or bulked up when you see a deep draft.

that's how i'd determine how many picks to go after... see draft class and if i needed a couple extra, i'd beef up that year in first round picks... or if weak, i'd trade for something i could bank until next year's sell off. some years i may only want 1-2 top picks... so i'd pass the buck down the road as well as i could.

belated edit: i don't have trade picks enabled anymore. i did it maybe the first year or 2 i played ootp for a good run of years that release, but not after that particular year's release. i still do the same things, but i get them maybe a year or 2 into their development,now. it's nearly as effective because you are much more accurate with scouting at that point than with the draft.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-04-2019 at 02:40 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #24
nielsoncp
All Star Reserve

A couple years ago someone posted a super in depth spreadsheet that I use to sort talent. It made the process go a lot quicker for me - you can find the sheet here: https://gmcheatsheets.wordpress.com/spreadsheets/

I don't know if version 2 works - I've mostly stuck to version 1.
nielsoncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #25
baseballfanmas
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgz24 View Post
Thats interesting......will have to think on if I want to stick with MLB rules or break to enable this feature.

I do a ton of trades of draft picks in FHM, which definitely is fun to do, enables you to speed up a rebuild(trade for picks) or prolong a team staying on top (trade away picks)

I always turn trading draft picks on. Seems you can trade draft picks in every other pro league. Doesn't make sense that you can't in MLB
baseballfanmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #26
Bulldawgz24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsoncp View Post
A couple years ago someone posted a super in depth spreadsheet that I use to sort talent. It made the process go a lot quicker for me - you can find the sheet here: https://gmcheatsheets.wordpress.com/spreadsheets/

I don't know if version 2 works - I've mostly stuck to version 1.

I’m going to give this a shot, this could definitely help sort all the players....

Bulldawgz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #27
Carbrenash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Didn't see anyone in this thread mention how much they consider the stats that are listed for the draft prospects. Currently I'm comparing "good" rated HS prospects batting .500 to a "great" College one batting .290.

How do you guys weigh the stats? I always thought they were a way to validate the ratings. Not sure .290 from a small college is what I want in the top 10 even though my scout likes him and it's a position of need.
Carbrenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Typically I follow the general rule of acquiring power, and middle the the diamond players (catcher,ss,cf). If you can jam enough of these guys in your system and set the development budget at a reasonable level you will create a strong pipeline of potential stars.

When it comes to pitching it will come down to how your ballpark plays, but I've been having success with high control high stuff guys.

Obviously the younger the player the better - try and snatch up those young 17 yr old draftees.