Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
goteet
Bat Boy

Unhappy please help me getting info playoffs

I am try to play OOTP at first, but it seems a bit hard for me, then I try MLB17. I am new to the game and baseball, I have the very basic knowledge of baseball.

I play fictionnal league for 5 years but I can not get into the playoff, the best score is 400, the second position in the subdivision. I read the online manual several times(http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...man=mlbmgr2017), and try many different way, but it doesnt work. SAD

1. first year, I have three 5start overall strong batter, I think I only need two, so I try toshop around to get other to fill the weak position. AI told me oponent team weak in CF, but their manager will only give me a 3start player for my 5start CF. and this is the best I can get, so I complete the trade.

2. second year, I notices different of running speed will and try to put SS, 2B (2start, 2.5start with 60+running speed) in the front of lineup, and let the AI adjust the depth chart. but finally it comes out the OBPOPS did not change. How should I do with the lineup & depth chart ?

3. thrid year, I try to signed some free angecy, and get 4start average pitcher in my rotation and bullpen, but ERA is very high, seems 4.5, 5.5 (or higher), and K/BB is super low.

4. four year, when someone get injured, I found I have no bench player can use. players in minor league are only have 1start overall/protencial. is any method to develop them ? or how can I get good proposals ?

5. fifth year, I have no idea about dealing strategy panel, but try to adjust stealing base to LOW (running speed average is not high) but it seems affect nothing, why ?

6. oh, I found overall/protencial start will changes sometimes. what doest it mean ? will the overall start of a player be increase to protencial, or it means the range of a stast, overall is the current state and protencial limits the hightest state ?

can anybody help me out telling me what should I do? thanks alot!
or give me a link to a basic tutorial that I can learn something...

(forgive me for my poor english, i am not come from english speaking contry)

Last edited by goteet; 05-13-2017 at 10:20 AM.
goteet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

1. You do not necessarily need to avoid weakness at all positions, so trading a 5-star player for a 3-star is likely to leave you worse off. I try to have good defenders at most positions, especially SS, 2B and CF but will often carry below average hitters at one or two positions as long as they are good defenders.

Trading with the AI can be frustrating, it will generally demand an unfair deal when you try to initiate a trade. When the AI offers a good player, you can sometimes negotiate a much better deal than they first offer.
Lex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

When I try to trade for a backup player, the AI will typically demand one of my regulars. Not worth it. But recently a team offerred me a five-star starter, asking for a five-star prospect 3B, my starting RF, and my closer. That would not improve my team. But I was able to substitute a minor-league RF and a lesser relief pitcher; still had to give my best prospect but we won the championship.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

2) Baserunning skills will not affect OPS, but can improve actual runs scored. Still, I mostly ignore those skills and concentrate on defense and OBP. Power is great but I take what I can get there.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

3. The game, at least as of the 2015 version, mistakenly favors ground-ball pitchers. So highly rated pitchers with a low GB% give up lots of home runs. This is actually backward from real life, where sinker balls get hammered when they don't sink, and major league caliber flyball pitchers are good at keeping the ball in the park. So, pay attention to a pitcher's GB% as well as history of HRs allowed. I like to combine great infield defense with 70% GB starters.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

4. Having good backups is a challenge, and of course no backup can truly replace a star. As mentioned, the AI is very stingy with bench warmers, prospects and minor leage subs. Look for such players among cheaper free agents and in the draft, or try to include one or two in a trade of star players. Look over your roster and minors for where you need depth. But good luck prying a 1.5 star backup out of another GM!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

5. Baserunning is a minor part of offense. Worry about other things.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

6. Players may or may not reach thrir potential, and sometimes potential increases, more often it decreases. My impression is the game mimics real life pretty well regarding player development.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
goteet
Bat Boy

it is very helpful to me, thank u very much

I mean OBP in (2), not OPS , sorry

Last edited by goteet; 05-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
goteet
Bat Boy

I put players with high Arm, Range, Error and Position DEF to SS, CF, 2B. And it is lucky that SS and CF players have high Speed/Avoid K's , so I put them to front of lineup to make sure keep high OBP. Then pick 1B/3B/LF players with high Contract/Powers, and put them to middle of lineup to make sure they can diliver
on-base players back to home plate. I think it is a right way this time.

I try to simulate some game to find whether it is works, and I found offense ability is increase slightly. And try to adjust start rotation and bullpen next.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
Lex Logan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteet View Post
it is very helpful to me, thank u very much
I mean OBP in 2), not OPS , sorry
Neither On Base Percentage (OBP) nor On Base Plus Slugging (OPS) would be affected by base running, they are measures of hitting. Weighted On Base Average (wOBA) is a more comprehensive measure of offense, and Wins Above Replacement is an overall guide to value, but the game does not currently report such stats. But the most important thing a player can do is avoid making outs on offense, so I focus mostly on OBP. Of the ratings, contact seems to be roughly twice as important as power or batting eye.