Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

1st & 3rd base coaches

I think it's long overdue that we had 1st & 3rd base coaches. For the 1st base coach, it'd be cool to have an option where you could check to see if it was a good time to steal or he could give you a tip like "this team's catcher has a cannon-I wouldn't recommend stealing a base." The 1st base coach's ratings would also have an impact on your team's stolen base success, baserunning, aggressiveness, etc.

Likewise, the 3rd base coach's ratings could have an impact on your team's defensive ratings. He could also give you a tip like "this would be a good time to bring the infield in" or recommend putting on the shift, etc.

Thoughts?
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
I think it's long overdue that we had 1st & 3rd base coaches. For the 1st base coach, it'd be cool to have an option where you could check to see if it was a good time to steal or he could give you a tip like "this team's catcher has a cannon-I wouldn't recommend stealing a base." The 1st base coach's ratings would also have an impact on your team's stolen base success, baserunning, aggressiveness, etc.

Likewise, the 3rd base coach's ratings could have an impact on your team's defensive ratings. He could also give you a tip like "this would be a good time to bring the infield in" or recommend putting on the shift, etc.

Thoughts?
How much of an impact should a coach have on a bad team vs a good team?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
How much of an impact should a coach have on a bad team vs a good team?
It all depends on the type of coach.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It all depends on the type of coach.
Except that coaches are generally only as good as the team they play for. Nobody talks about how good the Kansas City coaches and manager are this year. We will hear how great the Red Sox coaches and manager are despite being lousy last year.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Except that coaches are generally only as good as the team they play for. Nobody talks about how good the Kansas City coaches and manager are this year. We will hear how great the Red Sox coaches and manager are despite being lousy last year.
Huh? As a Red Sox follower, I think our coaching is a BIG part of our success on the base paths.
The Red Sox Have Been the Best Base-Stealing Team Ever | FanGraphs Baseball

There should be a new category of "base coach", with values for "helping steals" used if coaching first and "sending runners" used if coaching third, as well as an aggression rating.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
LouGerig_IronHorse
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

Thoughts?
Agreed! Would love to see this added in. There is a pretty cool clip on YouTube from the 1974 World Series between the Dodgers and the A's - Tommy Lasorda was the third base coach for Walter Alston in those days - Lasorda was mic'd for one of the games - and the clip shows him chatterboxing like crazy with the third base umpire as well as signalling and shouting out instructions and encouragement to the team.

So the idea of having first and third base coaches who could be interactive in the game would add a ton to the realism when managing a game live. Would very much love to see that added!
LouGerig_IronHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

having more coaches sounds like a good idea to some users, and possibly would add to the game - if you play it out, or watch it. i don't. i simply sim my games and thus it will offer nothing but a few more coaches on the personnel list. So FOR ME, it's i don't care to see it. If it works for others, then why not make it an option and i would have no objections.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I can't see an iota of game value these would provide.

With the coaches already in-game and probably half of players who don't even play with coaches (or scouts) I'm just not sure what value this adds, even if it's just a cosmetic change.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote