Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Fictional leagues are the worst for me. Trying to get everything exactly right. Teams, leagues, divisions, playoff format, talent, logos, uniforms, team names, team cities, league rules, etc. And then, just when I get it where I want it and start the season, I realize I missed something somewhere and have to start over again. I do have a MLB quickstart that I play, I've noticed that my desire for everything to be perfect is not as overwhelming in that one as my fictional leagues. The fact this game can get me so engrossed in it proves its worth!

I hope you are able to salvage your league.
I've never tried a fictional league but am considering it after reading this forum and everyone seems to love them. Any ideas/advice?
BaseballAddict32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballAddict32 View Post
I've never tried a fictional league but am considering it after reading this forum and everyone seems to love them. Any ideas/advice?
Put the teams in cities you know.

Have AAA, AA, A and Rookie leagues.

Have the minor league cities geographically near the major league team's city.

Sequence the minor league cities according to size.

Put the rookie teams all in one city, using the major league team's nickname and logo. I use Pensacola.

Use team names, logos and unis from the nickname project.

Pick a start year carefully.

Turn off finances/free agency.

Let the AI fill all teams and run all teams for five years. Sim those five years , so you have some league and player history, pick a franchise, and dive in.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
You know what I found out what I love is since I don't use DH good hitting pitchers but above that a good P. If I find one I'll keep him for years. Just hate how the game does keep tract of life-time pinch hitting stats.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Put the teams in cities you know.

Have AAA, AA, A and Rookie leagues.

Have the minor league cities geographically near the major league team's city.

Sequence the minor league cities according to size.

Put the rookie teams all in one city, using the major league team's nickname and logo. I use Pensacola.

Use team names, logos and unis from the nickname project.

Pick a start year carefully.

Turn off finances/free agency.

Let the AI fill all teams and run all teams for five years. Sim those five years , so you have some league and player history, pick a franchise, and dive in.
Thanks. I would not have really thought about the last part. Great ideas across the board.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
What happened that made your pride and joy of a league "hit the wall"? Maybe some of us can help with suggestions to get you back on your way again. It isn't too long since you were really excited about it, and it'd be great to see you back there again.
I messed up and simmed too many seasons, which in the long run feels like cheating to me. I haven't deleted the league, but I haven't felt as much of a connection with it whenever I try to play it. Thought expanding the league might help, but so far nope. Started simming due to so many players staying around well past retirement age. Often not playing at all, but occupying a spot on the 25 man roster. In another thread Markus said that this can happen due to use of the the reserve clause. Instead of players being unable to get another contract and retiring, with reserve clause usage a player will often just sit on a roster year after year. Due to this I decided to turn free agency on, but make it available only to players that have been in the league for 12 years. The non retirement issue, does seem to be better with free agency on, but I HATE FREE AGENCY and it has made my league a lot less enjoyable.

A few years back(OOTP12) I had a historical league that ran from 1906 to 1936. For this league I had recalc turned off and development on. I used the reserve clause for this league and I don't remember having the non retirement issue. So, I have decided to give this type of league a shot and see if maybe it's recalc (my random debut league was using recalc) that plays a role in guys sticking around but not playing.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
I'd suggest setting up the league and simulating 25-30 years before you start playing. After that, what I always do is look through team personnel right after the World Series and choosing a team that fired their GM. Usually there are options so you can choose a good team with a retired GM, a decent team with a promising farm system, a real piece of crap team, etc...

It's also cool to have a decently long history for things like HOF inductions, milestone chases, career record chases, and more. A fictional history just makes me get into it a lot more.

And also, I agree with what Wolf said about using the Nickname Project add-on. some great stuff in there.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Spud Eating Buccos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I learned I'm not nearly as creative as I thought as I was. Some of y'all think of things that never dawned on me as far as league ideas and rules. I won't even touch the uniforms and such. It's awesome.

I also learned my patience isn't as good as some of yours. After attempting to set up about four different fictional leagues and messing things up the first month the game was out, I finally went with a 50 state league, with NO mods (my first time doing that). I played that most of the summer until a run-time error killed it (and yes, having no mods was driving me crazy). I finally found a quick start that I've been running with the last month, with some of my own tweaks.
Spud Eating Buccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by as5680 View Post
This one is definitely true for me too. When I first discovered OOTP the obvious thing to do seemed to be to play an MLB game, but I haven't done that for some time now. Playing entirely fictional leagues means I don't have to worry about whether player performances or league stats etc. are 'realistic', as there is no reality with which to compare.
couldn't agree more with this
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I keep it simple and use real teams, but fictional players. Some people are really creative with their leagues, though. I recommend checking out the dynasty forum for ideas.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #30
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I messed up and simmed too many seasons, which in the long run feels like cheating to me. I haven't deleted the league, but I haven't felt as much of a connection with it whenever I try to play it. Thought expanding the league might help, but so far nope. Started simming due to so many players staying around well past retirement age. Often not playing at all, but occupying a spot on the 25 man roster. In another thread Markus said that this can happen due to use of the the reserve clause. Instead of players being unable to get another contract and retiring, with reserve clause usage a player will often just sit on a roster year after year. Due to this I decided to turn free agency on, but make it available only to players that have been in the league for 12 years. The non retirement issue, does seem to be better with free agency on, but I HATE FREE AGENCY and it has made my league a lot less enjoyable.

A few years back(OOTP12) I had a historical league that ran from 1906 to 1936. For this league I had recalc turned off and development on. I used the reserve clause for this league and I don't remember having the non retirement issue. So, I have decided to give this type of league a shot and see if maybe it's recalc (my random debut league was using recalc) that plays a role in guys sticking around but not playing.
I guess with free agency on they'll go sit as free agents for a while until they get bored and retire. Any league that accumulates too many players will probably run into this problem, and when you're using a five round draft (I use seven - probably too many, but that's about even with how many debuts there are in real MLB), and what 10 players (?) are retiring per year, it's going to get pretty crowded pretty quickly. I'm in luck in that I happen to like free agency, but I'm only in year two of my random debut league, so I imagine things will start to get crowded soon enough. At my turtle pace, I don't think I'll be dealing with the HOF, or other lifetime achievements, but I love my league so far, thanks to yourself and Vanilla Gorilla for the idea of using player development and re-calc together.

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure if it qualifies as OCD, but I hate it when I get a little "bug up my butt" (for lack of a better thing to call it) and no matter what it eats at me until I basically have to scrap a league. I have a 36 year random debut league that I've hit the wall with. Hoping a little time away from it will keep me from scrapping it altogether.
Not sure what you meant by "bug" but I'll give you my thoughts in both aspects. If you mean game bug, I will generally live with those unless they drastically affect gameplay and results or they offend my aesthetic sensibilities. Such as the time that the GUI was afflicted with bad fonts; the workaround was to use fonts from the previous version but, even though I could read everything, the lopping off of tops of letters would bug me to the point where I put the game down. Yes, I have learned this about me: A big reason why I like OOTPB is because I am somewhat OCD; they seem to go hand-in-hand in a good way.
Quote:
The Wolf gave some great advice before. All I will add as a suggestion is to take a pre-fab MLB setup (like the quickstart that comes with the game), take steps to release all real players, delete them, restock teams with fictional players, and schedule a draft. That way, you get the teams, the logos, the uniforms, the stadiums, etc. without too much work. There's even a way to delete the real history if that would bug you going forward.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I guess with free agency on they'll go sit as free agents for a while until they get bored and retire. Any league that accumulates too many players will probably run into this problem, and when you're using a five round draft (I use seven - probably too many, but that's about even with how many debuts there are in real MLB), and what 10 players (?) are retiring per year, it's going to get pretty crowded pretty quickly. I'm in luck in that I happen to like free agency, but I'm only in year two of my random debut league, so I imagine things will start to get crowded soon enough. At my turtle pace, I don't think I'll be dealing with the HOF, or other lifetime achievements, but I love my league so far, thanks to yourself and Vanilla Gorilla for the idea of using player development and re-calc together.
Random debut is a blast. Actually, I think you will be surprised at just how uncrowded things remain, especially when it comes to pitching. There simply aren't enough starting pitchers to go around. As my league played out, I seen guys like Hoyt Wilhelm, Heath Bell, Trevor Hoffman and Mike Henneman manning the #5 spot in teams rotation.

I'm not going to scrap my league. I simply want to see if recalc is the culprit. I'm really hoping it's not the reserve clause.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #33
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just a shot in the dark, but could you leave free agency on and dial up the years in Minimum Service Years for Free Agency to some absurdly high number of years? I would check what the maximum is but I'm not in preseason in my league right now. Anyway, maybe that would allow you to avoid the reserve roster option but effectively "freeze" players to their current rosters until traded, demoted, or retired.

- Bru

Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Not sure what you meant by "bug" but I'll give you my thoughts in both aspects. If you mean game bug, I will generally live with those unless they drastically affect gameplay and results or they offend my aesthetic sensibilities. Such as the time that the GUI was afflicted with bad fonts; the workaround was to use fonts from the previous version but, even though I could read everything, the lopping off of tops of letters would bug me to the point where I put the game down. Yes, I have learned this about me: A big reason why I like OOTPB is because I am somewhat OCD; they seem to go hand-in-hand in a good way.

The Wolf gave some great advice before. All I will add as a suggestion is to take a pre-fab MLB setup (like the quickstart that comes with the game), take steps to release all real players, delete them, restock teams with fictional players, and schedule a draft. That way, you get the teams, the logos, the uniforms, the stadiums, etc. without too much work. There's even a way to delete the real history if that would bug you going forward.
No my bugs usually aren't game bugs, but some loony thought that finds it's way into my thought process and simply eats away at my enjoyment of a league.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #35
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Random debut is a blast. Actually, I think you will be surprised at just how uncrowded things remain, especially when it comes to pitching. There simply aren't enough starting pitchers to go around. As my league played out, I seen guys like Hoyt Wilhelm, Heath Bell, Trevor Hoffman and Mike Henneman manning the #5 spot in teams rotation.

I'm not going to scrap my league. I simply want to see if recalc is the culprit. I'm really hoping it's not the reserve clause.
Cool. I hope that'll be the case with a seven round draft too.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but could you leave free agency on and dial up the years in Minimum Service Years for Free Agency to some absurdly high number of years? I would check what the maximum is but I'm not in preseason in my league right now. Anyway, maybe that would allow you to avoid the reserve roster option but effectively "freeze" players to their current rosters until traded, demoted, or retired.
I did try 12 years. But, that had the results of exactly why I hate free agency. A bunch of players signing one year contracts year after year after year(I guess I need to edit that to one year contracts with different teams). For some reason I never thought about trying 20+ years for free agency.

Last edited by David Watts; 10-30-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #37
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Thanks. I would not have really thought about the last part. Great ideas across the board.
You're welcome.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

pjh5165, Andy, Deja Bru, thanks to you all also. Really glad I joined this forum. You guys have great ideas on how to use this game.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #39
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
pjh5165, Andy, Deja Bru, thanks to you all also. Really glad I joined this forum. You guys have great ideas on how to use this game.
Heh, 48 posts already this month. You're hooked! And welcome to the club.

- Bru

Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

This is an awesomeeeeee thread. I just purchased OOTP for the first time back in September (Maybe August I forget) and so far I started modern day and expanded once still on my first ever saved game... I never really had any interest in fictional leagues. After reading this that thought has changed drastically. Whenever I decided to call it quits on this league I think I just may cook up my own fictional league to whatever my heart desires. Lot of great pointers and posts. Thanks guys!

LOVE IT!
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote