Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Do players die?

I hate to open a thread for a yes or no answer but anyways I noticed some retired players are now around 105-110 years old and since I still have the option to unretire them or turn them to coaches I assume they are still alive. Do they ever die or will eventually have a 150 year old retired player just siting there?
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
BURNS81
Minors (Double A)

haha what does the 110 year old guys picture look like?
BURNS81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
kq76
Global Moderator

Dying? There's no dying in baseball!

Markus is weird sometimes. There's no women in OOTP and there's no dying in OOTP. But hobbits and Ghanaians, those we can have.

Last edited by kq76; 06-06-2013 at 04:25 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
doors11
All Star Reserve

I have 2 or 3 owners die every season in my 60's league.They are between 70 and 80 years old. Yet to see a manager die yet..In the 60's real life Manager's Johnny Keane and Fred Hutchinson both died in the mid 60's. Players that died were Jim Umbricht and Ken Hubbs.
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

The pictures do go funny... as a player hits 120 I think it is, their picture goes back to that of a late teenager and then progresses from there again through the ages - so yes a 150 year old player looks younger than a 90 year old in game.

I mentioned this is the suggestions for the next ootp that a players picture should freeze at the age they retire or at least something like that.
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

That's funny I guess eventually I will have a 200 year old player that I will unretire sign him and he will be in my starting lineup
Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
But hobbits and Ghanaians, those we can have.
And coming next version an accurate weather model for Jupiter. All I ask for is the ability to enter a date of death using the player editor.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Have had owners die including the owner of my team
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

Owners die but nobody else does. Markus said that this was so you didn't get zombie managers and such, like if the retired player becomes a manager and then dies but keeps managing.
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

So having a 120 year old manager is more realistic that a zombie one?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Thorp View Post
So having a 120 year old manager is more realistic that a zombie one?
Applied cryogenics! After each game the person is frozen, and aren't thawed out until the next game. That cuts their alive time to about five hours a day.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Applied cryogenics! After each game the person is frozen, and aren't thawed out until the next game. That cuts their alive time to about five hours a day.
Yeah, the 120 year old manager was kind of a joke--I realize that managers and coaches also retire. I still think it might be nice to be able to enter a date of death using the editor and then deal with any "zombie" coaches/managers if they arise.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

I sim my season and usually end up playing my leagues for 100-120 years. I usually will stop and run another game at this time. I would probably play a league longer if the players would die.

Markus doesn't like the idea of player/managers death but I would like the feature to go into the player editor or right click on the player or manager playing profiles and manually enter a death date. This would be great because some players that are HOF bound will get the sympathy votes and get in.

Also, Markus would need to make it so the dead players and managers remain dead and are not allowed to be brought back to life.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Well it would be nice if they did die you have a newspaper heading that reads "HOF Pitcher Dies" "Legendary Ball Players Dead at 88" or something like that
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I don't understand Markus' reasons for not having player death. It seems to me that you could avoid the zombie issue by forcing the game check for a "retired" flag before the death event could occur.

You don't have to have guys die while still active (though, as a one-in-a-million event, it wouldn't be so bad).
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
I sim my season and usually end up playing my leagues for 100-120 years. I usually will stop and run another game at this time. I would probably play a league longer if the players would die.

Markus doesn't like the idea of player/managers death but I would like the feature to go into the player editor or right click on the player or manager playing profiles and manually enter a death date. This would be great because some players that are HOF bound will get the sympathy votes and get in.

Also, Markus would need to make it so the dead players and managers remain dead and are not allowed to be brought back to life.
Santo.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

In my game in the last week 1 owner died. 1 grandmother, 1 wife and I think 1 players child but no players. Would love to get rid of the family members dying if the players themselves can not die. i didn;t read all of the new report of the child dying he may just have been sick but i was disgusted to see that in a storyline.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #18
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

No, they just fade away.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #19
Pronkytonk
Minors (Double A)

The game just generated Cory Lidle as a new pitching coach for me - so much for avoiding zombie managers ...
Pronkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

I just had a player get thrown in jail for a white-collar investment scheme. You would think that players dying would be easy in comparison
"And as I wander with my music through the jungles of Despair, my kid will learn guitar and find a street corner somewhere. There he'll make the silence listen to the dream behind the voice, and show his minstrel Hamlet daddy that there only was one choice."
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote