Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
jasonntn
Bat Boy

3-D Graphics

This sim has improved tremendously since I first played 10 years ago. I once considered OOTP and FM to be very similar excellent sims. When FM went to 3-D graphics it really helped the immersion factor in the game. If OOTP went there it would make a great sim even more immersive, and likely open up a new portion of the baseball gaming market to OOTP. Nothing feels quite as 'real' as watching your guys play the game out on the field.
jasonntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
LouisSVillano
Minors (Double A)

Never played FM but I've seen where it rated very high.OOTP is a great Baseball simulation,adding your suggestion would make it even better.
LouisSVillano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Garethw87

But FM even with it's 3D engine doesn't actually play like real soccer. You are better using the 2D dots to watch the game, its more fluid and realistic! If OOTP was to go down that road I'd rather it was dots and not a full fledged 3D engine. Look now FM has the 3D engine when they realse a new game or update you see '150 animations added' great.. wasting time on that instead of the clunky game that FM has become instead I see!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

I think Markus has a golden opportunity on his hands. If he ever decides to go for it and hire a graphics / animation designer to bring this game to life (watching players perform on the field), he is going to be a very rich man.
thevaliantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Lets be realistic. Baseball, for all intents and purposes, is 30-40 seconds of action and a whole lot of standing around. Adding a 3d engine to baseball sim like this would be a lot of work and a lot of fans of this game would not be happy with it.

I have played both, owned the first fm with the 3d and to be honest, it made it fun for about three games. then it became a nuisance. They have the option now to not use it and I know many that dont.

Like Gareth said, there are too much time wasted on the graphics portion FM. Gettting new options implemented takes them many versions that I dont think anyone would want to see it happen to OOTP.

The evolution of this game since the last one I purchased (OOTP8) has been incredible. In 6 versions since, they have transformed this into the best sim game out there. For FM, the game, in as many versions, has changed extremely little. The request discussed here are as many as are asked for by the FM creators and Markus and co. have been able to do more and make this the best game by keeping it what it is, a text based sim with graphics.

Cheers.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Aumakua
Major Leagues

I think the only way to go would be to join forces with a major game company and use their engine, even if just to watch the games. Facgen could probalby still be used but the jerseys would need an overhaul. imagine a game like "The Show" being on the PC with OOTP being at its core, some abilities to edit as we have now but the ability to play out a game and even take control of players like a regular sports game. It would just be cool to watch the games that way too, maybe not every game, but the big ones...
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
helm123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Football Manager to me is the deepest sports sim and the 3d added to the sim. I play out every game and think the 3d is actually a very good representation of action on the pitch.

OOTP could surely tap into some of this as well. Heck just the way BBPro represented the game would be fine.
helm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfsutton View Post
Like Gareth said, there are too much time wasted on the graphics portion FM. Gettting new options implemented takes them many versions that I dont think anyone would want to see it happen to OOTP.
I don't think you're familiar with SI's resource distribution and how it makes major decisions on implementing new products and features.

3D graphics and new products like FM Live were launched with entirely new people dedicated to them. The same programmers who work on the game engine and other features are not necessarily the same ones that SI uses for graphics and new products.

If the new options are taking several versions to get into the game, it has nothing to do with the 3D graphics. That has separate support and resources. SI has continually grown, increased staff, and assigned people accordingly. And, unfortunately, sales data and trends don't support the idea of adding more resources to add lesser features, so sometimes those have to wait. Unfortunately, some features have to receive less resources because they're not going to drive sales.

As far as OOTP goes, it's the same approach. The company only developed iOOTP once it could hire a new staff member to handle it. And it's only working on a new hockey game because there is a separate, dedicated programmer. And I know that OOTP won't delve into graphics unless it can hire additional resources to tackle it.

So I wouldn't expect the pace of new features or game improvements to change once graphics are implemented. I think you might see a dip for the first implementation because the rest of the staff will probably have to do some coaching and get a graphic designer up to speed ... just as Markus had to spend a lot of time with the iOS programmer to get him up to speed.

But once an initial version is out of the way, things should go back to normal.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I am all for graphics. Just gives Markus & team more to work on each year.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Lee
Global Moderator

I would be more than happy with 2D dots to start with that maybe had the players number on them. I would probably focus more on this than the commentary and it would definitely increase immersion for me a great deal.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Cosindering the number of people who have to turn off even the limited ball flight to stop the game from crashing, this seems like a pretty unlikely request.

That isn't a dig at them, but rather a call to stay with their strengths.

I wonder how long it would take for me to turn off the graphics? Not immediately, certainly. A month maybe?
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
That isn't a dig at them, but rather a call to stay with their strengths
I think you're forgetting the factor of adding resources with expertise in implementing something like this. There is no doubt that they will add resources to do graphics, just as they hired a graphic designer to help improve the GUI and hired an iOS programmer to do iOOTP.

And people have been generally very happy with the improvements to the interface and with the iOOTP product. I don't think it's fair to assume that what Markus has done with ball flight is representative of strengths or weaknesses for implementing a 2D or 3D graphic model. Markus isn't going to be programming the graphics. That's not his expertise, just like the GUI isn't either.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

I dont feel like it would add much though. In soccer, even though its a slow sport and boring to watch,it continuously goes. Baseball is so stopped that I wouldnt see the point to it.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

FM is deep and terminally boring. I can understand the appeal of the 3D graphics when you finally get to a game. It's the dead time between the rare games that bores me. I'm not against graphics in OOTP completely but I can't imagine watching 162 games ever.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
helm123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
FM is deep and terminally boring. I can understand the appeal of the 3D graphics when you finally get to a game. It's the dead time between the rare games that bores me. I'm not against graphics in OOTP completely but I can't imagine watching 162 games ever.

Dead time between rare games. I really don't follow this at all. It's not 162 games for sure. But you'll have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30-40 games a season depending on staying in the cups. Add in Champions League if you make the cut and there's many more games in the season.

Couldn't imagine just watching all 162 either. I like to play out the individual games.

Last edited by helm123; 05-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.
helm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I play out all my games as well... which is why I think I would turn off graphics. It would make the game incredibly slow.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I disagree with the point that theres no need since the action stops. Do you leave a baseball game after the first pitch? I wouldnt want to see the same graphics over and over. I would also see some representation of great plays in baseball history like Willie Mays' world series catch but maybe only once in a 100 year sim. Or even some created great plays. I wouldnt want to see the same catch for an out every time.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Who says you would need to use the 3d for every play of every game? I envision myself playing out most games the old way, but having the ability to watch or jump into games of more importance to use the 3d engine.

Also, I would certainly love to be able to save replays of big games and also of players milestones to make highlight reels if you will.

Some day I would love to play a game of OOTP at Fenway and see a ball crushed by a player that would be a HR anywhere hit the top of the monster and fall for a fenway double. That can really only happen with a 3d engine that takes into account ballpark pysics. That is a huge part of what is missing from the game today
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I play out all my games as well... which is why I think I would turn off graphics. It would make the game incredibly slow.
High Heat, Tony Larussa & Hardball are slow?
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Cosindering the number of people who have to turn off even the limited ball flight to stop the game from crashing, this seems like a pretty unlikely request.

That isn't a dig at them, but rather a call to stay with their strengths.

I wonder how long it would take for me to turn off the graphics? Not immediately, certainly. A month maybe?
Just being a conspiracy theorist here, but maybe ... just maybe ... it was intentionally done that way (dots ... game crashing) to shut the folks up who are looking for more immersion in the graphical sense.

For the record, LOL, I'm ALL for having a 3D engine for this game.

To the poster above who suggested that OOTP join forces with maker (SCEA) of The Show game, that would be a fantastic idea. If it ever happened OOTP/The Show would be THE greatest baseball simulation product ever created, on any front.

It's ideas like these that make things happen down the road.

I would LOVE to see the graphical likeness of Babe Ruth, at the plate, and "Babe's" performance driven by OOTP.
thevaliantx is offline   Reply With Quote