Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
I don't really get the change, to be honest. A spot starter is not the same thing as an emergency starter.
I agree. I'd like to see both personally.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Quote:
I don't really get the change, to be honest. A spot starter is not the same thing as an emergency starter.
Amen! Well here's to hoping...
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Neolithic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm curious what the difference is, if you don't mind me asking. (serious question, not being a dick or anything)
Neolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
injury log
Hall Of Famer

I think it should be possible to add a 'spot starter' role, with a few preset % values in the 'usage' column, if people liked that from earlier versions. I'll suggest it on the beta forum.

I guess part of the thinking behind the new roles is that there simply aren't real life teams who have a starter who starts 20% of the time in place of their normal fifth starter, or at least none that I'm aware of. So I personally found the 'spot starter' implementation a bit bizarre before, especially since there was no way to control the Fatigue level of the pitcher, presumably someone pitching often enough in relief, you might want to have make a spot start. Now there is a way to better control usage/fatigue, so it might be easier to use effectively now if you're trying, say, to give starts to two different prospects or something.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithic View Post
I'm curious what the difference is, if you don't mind me asking. (serious question, not being a dick or anything)
A spot starter is typically used to give the rotation an extra day of rest. An emergency starter is used when a pitcher has to miss a start because of injury, yet isn't on the DL. For example, a few years back, the Red Sox had to scratch a pitcher less than an hour before gametime and had to use a reliever to start the game. Classic example of an emergency starter.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
I think it should be possible to add a 'spot starter' role, with a few preset % values in the 'usage' column, if people liked that from earlier versions. I'll suggest it on the beta forum.
That makes the most sense imho.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I am trying to think now when I can recall the White Sox ever actually skipping the number 5 guy in the rotation and giving a reliever a start instead.....

I can think of a few times where a guy not in the rotation started but it was always because of injury, not just because a guy in the pen needed innings.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post

I guess part of the thinking behind the new roles is that there simply aren't real life teams who have a starter who starts 20% of the time in place of their normal fifth starter, or at least none that I'm aware of. So I personally found the 'spot starter' implementation a bit bizarre before, especially since there was no way to control the Fatigue level of the pitcher, presumably someone pitching often enough in relief, you might want to have make a spot start. Now there is a way to better control usage/fatigue, so it might be easier to use effectively now if you're trying, say, to give starts to two different prospects or something.

The problem with this answer is that I don't play MLB. Only fictional with small rosters. This was my most used feature for my leagues. I really don't want to start all over as this is the first time I had an import from an earlier version that went well. I don't want to play MLB or MLB style so I'll probable go back and stay with v13 if I cant find a work around.

edit->>> Please do suggest it to the beta forum.

Last edited by mm7607; 04-13-2013 at 07:32 PM.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
OutfieldGrass
Minors (Double A)

I've already started a season with the Mariners and I am starting to really enjoy myself. So far no issues. The MLB draft fix....as long as I don't get to the point of generating players I should still get the benefits of the patch when it comes to the draft, right? I would hate to have to restart.
OutfieldGrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

It looks like you're starting over on Monday, my man!
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
BaronA
Minors (Single A)

By Monday we'll be ready to rock and roll.

Last edited by BaronA; 04-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.
BaronA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #32
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post
The problem with this answer is that I don't play MLB. Only fictional with small rosters. This was my most used feature for my leagues. I really don't want to start all over as this is the first time I had an import from an earlier version that went well. I don't want to play MLB or MLB style so I'll probable go back and stay with v13 if I cant find a work around.

I should probably conduct some tests, opposed to asking you to experiment, but instinctively, I'm wondering about the effect of either or both of these areas: Frequency Use of Pitchers setting in the game setup, and Stamina ratings for starting rotation. I can't recall the menu options right now, but point being, if we're able to dial down the endurance or longevity of the rotation, obviously we'd be increasing the likelihood of ESP appearances, not just increased use of the bullpen, but it's a fine line.

I may take a look this week and let you know what I see in the fictional environment. OTOH, it's not of out reach that Markus may just backpedal and re-orient the system to add the role. Who knows?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #33
SportsFan00
Minors (Single A)

Not really a HUGE problem, since the family owns the team.. but in the game Hank Steinbrenner is listed as the owner, but Hal Steinbrenner is the "man" for the yanks right now.
SportsFan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM   #34
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoheadley View Post
There is a small bug, that was, well, bugging me, and I'm wondering if it was fixed.

Clicking on "All Transactions" in the League Menu would bring you to "Major Transactions" instead, and you would have to click on the "All Transactions" report from that page to get to it.
Drives me nuts too. It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for main menu items to work properly and not send you to the wrong report. I would think correcting a bad link within the game would be fairly simple.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:39 AM   #35
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
I should probably conduct some tests, opposed to asking you to experiment, but instinctively, I'm wondering about the effect of either or both of these areas: Frequency Use of Pitchers setting in the game setup, and Stamina ratings for starting rotation. I can't recall the menu options right now, but point being, if we're able to dial down the endurance or longevity of the rotation, obviously we'd be increasing the likelihood of ESP appearances, not just increased use of the bullpen, but it's a fine line.

I may take a look this week and let you know what I see in the fictional environment. OTOH, it's not of out reach that Markus may just backpedal and re-orient the system to add the role. Who knows?

I did some test sims with injuries turned off just to see what would happen. Almost no pitchers had any starts no matter what setup I tried. So I'm just going to try and play as I normally do and see what happens. Tweaking as I go along. But emergency pitcher setting is dong nothing.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #36
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post

So I'm curious: what is your reason for using/liking spot starters? [Edit: Nevermind. I just read your post in the other thread.] You said you play fictional with small rosters, but the need for spot starters is still not obvious to me. Like injury log, I always found it a bit bizarre. I guess because, if spot starters are used in MLB like they are in OOTP, I haven't noticed. Then again, I don't pay that much attention to 5th or 6th starters.

I always thought a spot starter, at least in real life, was a reliever who started the occasional game when all the regular starters were a bit too tired either because there weren't enough off days or the next starter was still tired from his previous start or maybe you just don't want to risk over-working a young phenom (e.g. Strasbourg). The way spot starters were implemented in OOTP before I don't think addressed any of these reasons however. IINM, it only replaced the last regular starter a certain % and that was all. Maybe what we really need is a "fatigue starter".

injury log mentioned that it might be useful in splitting starting time between two prospects, but at least in real life I don't think you'd want to do that to a young guy since you often here that preparing to start versus preparing to relieve require two totally different mindsets and you probably don't want to make things anymore difficult than necessary for a young pitcher.

I'm not arguing against having spot starters. If people want them, that's totally fine by me. I just never understood why.

If people still want a spot starter with %s, this article has an interesting way of implementing a spot starter in that you might want to use one not just for the fifth starter, but more and maybe even all. I could envision OOTP having %s next to each starter spot and that's how often the spot starter would work. You could, for example, have the spot starter start 20% of the time for, not just your fifth starter, but every starter excluding maybe your ace. Or maybe do 0,5,10,15,20, or whatever.

Last edited by kq76; 04-14-2013 at 02:32 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #37
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
I am trying to think now when I can recall the White Sox ever actually skipping the number 5 guy in the rotation and giving a reliever a start instead.....

I can think of a few times where a guy not in the rotation started but it was always because of injury, not just because a guy in the pen needed innings.
It usually happens for teams out of contention who are rebuilding. It is a chance to give young pitchers a chance to have some innings while keeping a rotation.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #38
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

I posted this in the v14 suggestion thread. I think it would address the spot/emergency starter issue, presented here, well.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ted-logic.html
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
iBrandon
Minors (Triple A)

UPDATE: Plans & state of the game.

So I can start now and as long as I am deep into my franchise, I shouldn't run into many problems and the patch will work on started games.
iBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrandon View Post
So I can start now and as long as I am deep into my franchise, I shouldn't run into many problems and the patch will work on started games.
Yes.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote