Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #61
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

i sometimes used more\less offense & pitching on league evolution but never really seen a change so i stopped

3D - i like the stadiums but don't play the games out

normally just play in commish mode
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #62
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
WPA graph, or whatever it is called.
Team strategy settings.
2D, I guess that does not count since it has always been there.
Face gen, have used but I always go back, when I can, to real photos. Do not play in manager role anymore.
Random, okay I can understand why some really like it but for some reason I always get frustrated.
Minor league system, to much work for me.
Exit velocity, nice novelty for awhile but now it just takes up space.
Asst GM, he has given me bad advice to many times and when I do let him control something, he screws up.
Love WPA the stat myself, but the WPA graph takes up way too much space above the boxscore, and I used to just pass over it anyway, so I just turned it off. 2D, 3D no thanks. Simmer 'til death thank you very much. I'm permanently in commish/spectator/historian mode. I consider John Thorn to be my idol, except for the prolific writing career of course!

He played second fiddle for me in "Ken Burns' Baseball" only because Buck O'Neil stands head and shoulders above the rest in that series. When he's not on the screen, I can't wait for him to be back. Such a remarkable man. Would've loved to just sit back and listen to his baseball stories. Getting off track here, but it had to be said.

Curious to know what frustrates you about random? Not saying you're wrong at all, after all there are a million ways to play this game.

Amen on the minor league system. I play a real stripped down version of this game. Why? Because I want to get through as many seasons as I can to build up a history. Love seeing the HoF grow, and if I'm bogged down in the minutiae of running a team, I'll probably only get through two seasons per version.

Don't like transferring a game from one version to the next either, as I figure that would do something weird to my random debut game. I can see how that feature would be awesome for fictional games, but I would think historical games wouldn't work as well. Totally talking out of my *** on that one though, but don't really want to find out.

I run a dispersal rather than the default draft, because I find the default draft doesn't disperse the players the way I want them to be. I base it on RL fWAR, bWAR, and WAA numbers for each player. It's quite tedious for the inaugural draft because of the amount of players involved, but I do it anyway because the last thing I want to see is a 40 year old Hank Aaron taken in the first round with his worst years ahead of him. My system shuffles the impact players to the top, where they need to be for long term league balance. It is definitely, definitely, definitely not recommended for everybody, but I liked the results I saw in OOTP19. Just bought OOTPXX, so I have no idea how things are with the draft, but that's definitely one of my non-negotiable compulsions.

Baseball cards, storylines, coaching/scouting, owner goals, morale, chemistry etc? No thanks. Not saying others shouldn't. Just saying, I want baseball without a lot of the frills. All five player personality settings unchecked. I'm even a grinch on nicknames. Use my own league schedules, neutralize all ballparks and weather, no rainouts, no spring training. I also use custom playoffs because I like to put 4 teams total in the postseason, even in 1901 when there were only two. I'll never go past eight though. Best of seven all the way.

Eventually (if I get there), I'll be editing the league structure to prevent the abomination that is interleague play. I also play with no divisions throughout, so I guess I'm already editing league structure from 1969 forward.

I freeze strategy settings and stats output to 1984, when offensive levels and player usage were sane, but not too sane. I do this by unchecking the auto adjust league totals feature, and selecting 1984 on the day before opening day every season. Tried the lock league total stats feature last version, but that did not go well at all. It only modified Hits, Doubles, Triples etc., but did not modify from Starting Pitcher Stamina etc down, which made for very strange end of season stats for someone who wants them to be 1984ish for every season he plays.

No September callups because different rules at the most important time of the year doesn't really make sense to me. Anything else? Don't think so. Probably that's enough in the way of tinkering, but it's way different than the out of the box vanilla OOTP that I played when I first started with OOTPX when random debut was but a pipedream, although I believe Bristolduke was putting together random debut stats databases at that time. Yeah, I'm not finicky. Not at all.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-06-2019 at 04:51 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #63
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecza View Post
Those of you hating on WPA are blowing my mind a bit. Their inclusion is awesome. Such an easy way to identify big moments in a game through the box score without scrolling through the game log. I get that it can be a little strange to understand without understanding the idea of leverage and WPA, but I promise it isn't too complicated!

I love WPA. Like to look at it in a player's stats, and rank guys according to it. Don't like the graphs at all though. Also, my above post comes across as something Grouchy Smurf would've said, but the fact that I'm able to do all of this modifying and tinkering is what makes this game an absolute gem.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote