Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 10-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #301
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Slybelle, thanks a lot! That's a helluva list. It confirmed my suspicion that what I was asking for was actually ahistorical, but we can all dream to outdo to great Scotty Bowman, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Thatīs all stuff we can tweak later if we see that the demand is there.
That's cool, thanks!

Last edited by AEWHistory; 10-11-2016 at 03:14 PM.
AEWHistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #302
Nino33
Major Leagues

Can you be fired in Path to Glory mode? and then rehired by another team?

Scotty Bowman's career as an NHL Head Coach actually spanned 34 years...starting in 1967-68 with St. Louis, and the final year as a Head Coach was 2001-02 with Detroit
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #303
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
Can you be fired in Path to Glory mode? and then rehired by another team?

Scotty Bowman's career as an NHL Head Coach actually spanned 34 years...starting in 1967-68 with St. Louis, and the final year as a Head Coach was 2001-02 with Detroit
But I believe he had a break between '87 and '91 from coaching...so he didn't coach for those 34 full years.
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #304
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle View Post
But I believe he had a break between '87 and '91 from coaching...so he didn't coach for those 34 full years.
But it does bring up a good point....within the game, can a coach have gaps in their coaching career which would allow them to extend beyond their actual coaching years....or will it still be confined to 25-30 years even with the gaps?
Old 10-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #305
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Correct, that's why I said "spanned" and asked about being fired

Is Path to Glory NHL only? Or can you start in a lower league and work your way up to the NHL? Some of the NHL Head Coaches listed previously coached Major Junior prior to starting their NHL career...
Old 10-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #306
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:

Is Path to Glory NHL only? Or can you start in a lower league and work your way up to the NHL? Some of the NHL Head Coaches listed previously coached Major Junior prior to starting their NHL career...
We recommend to use all playable leagues in PtG mode and you can play in any playable league you want.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #307
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Good point about coaching in other leagues first....I suspect the coach is still limited to the 25-30 years already mentioned regardless of leagues and spans, only the big guys know for sure
Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #308
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Coach/GM history is a very important part for us going forward. FHM 3 on release will lay the basis but we have many things planed for the future in this area. We want to give the user the feel of "climbing the ranks" over time, both regarding his score, his league reputation and his world reputation. This year we will mostly concentrate on adding past history into the database instead of doing updated roster throughout the year. That should give us a much deeper history for coming years (and at some point the possibility to start full world historical games in the past).
Old 10-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #309
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Coach/GM history is a very important part for us going forward. FHM 3 on release will lay the basis but we have many things planed for the future in this area. We want to give the user the feel of "climbing the ranks" over time, both regarding his score, his league reputation and his world reputation. This year we will mostly concentrate on adding past history into the database instead of doing updated roster throughout the year. That should give us a much deeper history for coming years (and at some point the possibility to start full world historical games in the past).
That sounds like an interesting way to approach it.....but I do wonder how the majority of players play the game. Do they prefer just being the coach of their favorite team or do they prefer coaching any team and just want to progress their career regardless of the team they coach? Since I did not see the survey, was that a question on it and any idea which direction people leaned?

Typically I like coaching just my favorite team, but this could be fun too. But if this is how things go, may need to extend the longevity of coaching seasons to represent not only time spent in the NHL, but all the years they were in other leagues working there way up, which may be longer than 25-30 years.

Either way greatly looking forward to the game...can't wait.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #310
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The survey had like 98% favorite NHL team.

But the goal is to give the user both options: start with your favorite team and look how long you can (or want to) last (and then maybe look if you can land another NHL job). Or start at the bottom and work your way up. For that we will work on all other playable leagues over time, to give the user the best possible choices (I normally have to longtime saves going: one playing the Blackhawks and the other starting in Germany and then later go to the NHL).

But that is nothing you do in short time. Even the great FM started out with a small database and now it is maybe the greatest football database available.

Quote:
That sounds like an interesting way to approach it.....but I do wonder how the majority of players play the game. Do they prefer just being the coach of their favorite team or do they prefer coaching any team and just want to progress their career regardless of the team they coach? Since I did not see the survey, was that a question on it and any idea which direction people leaned?

Typically I like coaching just my favorite team, but this could be fun too. But if this is how things go, may need to extend the longevity of coaching seasons to represent not only time spent in the NHL, but all the years they were in other leagues working there way up, which may be longer than 25-30 years.

Either way greatly looking forward to the game...can't wait.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #311
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The survey had like 98% favorite NHL team.

But the goal is to give the user both options: start with your favorite team and look how long you can (or want to) last (and then maybe look if you can land another NHL job). Or start at the bottom and work your way up. For that we will work on all other playable leagues over time, to give the user the best possible choices (I normally have to longtime saves going: one playing the Blackhawks and the other starting in Germany and then later go to the NHL).

But that is nothing you do in short time. Even the great FM started out with a small database and now it is maybe the greatest football database available.
Sounds good...nice that there will be choices on how to play...ok, will leave you alone so you can code faster
Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #312
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
We recommend to use all playable leagues in PtG mode and you can play in any playable league you want.
I recommend you allow for more than 30 years if starting in Major Junior

Bowman's NHL career spanned 34 years, starting in 1967, but he was coaching the equivalent of Major Junior in the late 1950s

A few current examples - St. Louis Head Coach Ken Hitchcock started in Major Junior 32 years ago.....if Mike Keenan never coaches again (currently unemployed, a KHL Head Coach last year) his career from Major Junior to last year covers 36 years.....Mike Babcock's only 53 (with 7 more years on his contract) and started in Major Junior 25 years ago
Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #313
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I recommend you allow for more than 30 years if starting in Major Junior

Bowman's NHL career spanned 34 years, starting in 1967, but he was coaching the equivalent of Major Junior in the late 1950s

A few current examples - St. Louis Head Coach Ken Hitchcock started in Major Junior 32 years ago.....if Mike Keenan never coaches again (currently unemployed, a KHL Head Coach last year) his career from Major Junior to last year covers 36 years.....Mike Babcock's only 53 (with 7 more years on his contract) and started in Major Junior 25 years ago
Good point!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #314
Tom_Vanek
Bat Boy

hey,

is there somewhere a full list of all playable leagues?
Tom_Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #315
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHippie View Post
Oh yeah, after 10+ years of OOTP, Markus, Sebastian and the gang had me at, "Hockey".
Oh yea?! They had me at "Ho...."
Old 10-13-2016, 01:02 AM   #316
AEWHistory
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
So I'm putting my two cents into this as FHM was really the reason why I've stuck around on the forum for the last few years. Being canadian, I live up to the stereotype of liking hockey just a little. Hell my signature until today was ""Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" - me when learning of FHM.".

That being said the combination of a feature that I'd find absolutely no use for (NHL licensing), and the removal of how i essentially would play the game (online leagues), has effectively removed me from considering FHM purchases for the immediate future.

Figured as a customer that has been buying your products since OOTP6 was a thing, youd want to know. Or not.
Over the years I have played MANY games. I have also seen some good games come and go. In the '90s, for example, I was an avid player of Front Page Sports Football until it imploded and ceased to exist. While I was disappointed with certain games, features, design decisions, etc., I cannot recall once in my entire life I have ever felt the hostility toward a game designer that some folks seem to exhibit and feel the need to publicly display. I am utterly and completely baffled. It isn't that I don't get being disappointed, but hostile?! Over a game feature!?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #317
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWHistory View Post
Over the years I have played MANY games. I have also seen some good games come and go. In the '90s, for example, I was an avid player of Front Page Sports Football until it imploded and ceased to exist. While I was disappointed with certain games, features, design decisions, etc., I cannot recall once in my entire life I have ever felt the hostility toward a game designer that some folks seem to exhibit and feel the need to publicly display. I am utterly and completely baffled. It isn't that I don't get being disappointed, but hostile?! Over a game feature!?
I just find it funny people are actually complaining about the NHL licensing. I guess they dont understand how important that is
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #318
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
I just find it funny people are actually complaining about the NHL licensing. I guess they dont understand how important that is
I understand people (heck, Iīm not different): you want something to be exactly the way you want it to play. For most people on this board the real logos might not be that important because logo packs are available but only a tiny percentage of our user base will look here and many, many user donīt even look for logo packs. They want to have it in the game without any additional work. And it should be obvious that we concentrate on game parts that use this (expensive) assets the most.

But again, I do understand why some people are not happy, I just canīt do anything about it at the moment.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM   #319
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand people (heck, Iīm not different): you want something to be exactly the way you want it to play. For most people on this board the real logos might not be that important because logo packs are available but only a tiny percentage of our user base will look here and many, many user donīt even look for logo packs. They want to have it in the game without any additional work. And it should be obvious that we concentrate on game parts that use this (expensive) assets the most.

But again, I do understand why some people are not happy, I just canīt do anything about it at the moment.
I love what you have accomplished with FHM 3. Keep up the great work.
Many thanks to those who have contributed a supporting role in creating this excellent game!
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #320
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWHistory View Post
You would be hard-pressed to find a game (or any software) company that has their employees (and big cheese) directly face the music in a public forum the way these guys do, and Markus, Sebastian, and the entire crew should be thanked for reading and respectfully replying to the comments, good, bad and heavily vitriolic. Gotta be a tough gig.