Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #41
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Alright, I've found some issues. Some may be Yankees fan bias, some may not. I am using the 20-80 scale on all ratings.

1) Luis Severino is only a 2.5 star, but Aaron Judge is a 4.5 star. I don't see how Judge would have more potential considering Severino is considered a better prospect on most rankings than Judge. Just a thought.

2) Alex Rodriguez has a 55 rating at 3B defensively. If anything it should be 25-30. 55 is way too good for him.

3) Brian McCann only has a 65 rating at catcher. I really disagree, he's at least 70. Trying not to nitpick, but realistically he's better than that. His pitch framing is a big part of his defensive ability, and OOTP doesn't rate that, so I guess I can see the issue.

4) SP Nathan Eovaldi has a 93-95 MPH rating. He should have a higher one because he hit's 98 MPH at some points. I'm also pretty sure he was 96 MPH average last 2 seasons, correct me if I'm wrong. But 93-95 MPH is most certainly too low.

5) SP Masahiro Tanaka's Splitter is rated a 60, as are all his other pitches. That's just false, his Splitter is easily his best and if anything, should be a 70. I'd say 80 is fair. (Yankee fan bias might be too strong) But if anything, it's wrong to have all his pitches rated the same considering his Splitter is far and away his best pitch. I'm also going to argue that he's undervalued in many spots too, despite being a 5-star. He showed he was an ace last year, but I don't know.

6) CC Sabathia is far and away overrated. Firstly he throws 93-95, false, and why I don't get why Eovaldi is also 93-95. He also apparently throws all his pitches at 60 as well just like Tanaka, and it's just not true. Tanaka and CC are way too close in skill, unrealistic.

7) RP Andrew Miller only threw 2.8 BB/9 last year, certainly should be better than 45 control unless the league average was 2 BB/9 which I doubt.

Sorry for the nitpicks, but I see a lot of ratings I dislike or disagree with. I might just be stupid, but there's some that I can't really look past such ass the CC/Eovaldi MPH ones, that CC is overrated, that all of Tanaka's pitches are exactly the same in skill, and Severino.

I'm sure you guys will fix a lot in the coming weeks, but for now please Fix Tanaka, CC, and Eovaldi/CC's MPH ratings. Because those aren't opinions, those are facts in their skills. The other points I made can be seen as opinions, but not those.

Thanks and I just have to say the game IS BEAUTIFUL!
Gai1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #42
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Well, I'm not really with you on that. He hit all of 4 HR's in Cuba. He didn't really kill it in any other areas either. I think the scouts are way, way too high on him.

The great Cuban hitters, Abreu, Despaigne, Puig, Cespedes, even not so great guys like Viciedo and Miranda, dominated the league at 17-18-19. Moncada not only didn't dominate, he was decidedly average. That in a Cuban League with significantly worse pitching than when all those older guys were Moncada's age.

Moncada's performance in Cuba is pretty much in line with that of guys like Yuniesky Betancourt, Henry Urrutia and a bunch of guys who flamed out in the minors. If it wasn't that people expect him to be a top prospect in the set, I'd have him rated lower across the board.
I see what you mean, let's say he does really well this year and shows a lot of power promise, would he get his rating changed? I hope he busts since I'm a Yankees fan though
Old 03-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #43
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Severino's delivery screams future revliever to me so 2.5 seems fair.

Pitch framing is part of catcher ability.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #44
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Severino's delivery screams future revliever to me so 2.5 seems fair.

Pitch framing is part of catcher ability.
Keith Law is the only one who's said that, but I guess I can see the point. I still think all his stuff is better than just 2.5 stars. Don't know how you'd put an intangible like delivery in the game so guess that's the issue. Yankee fan bias probably is the issue :P

Last edited by Gai1997; 03-20-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #45
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai1997 View Post
I see what you mean, let's say he does really well this year and shows a lot of power promise, would he get his rating changed?
Yeah, no doubt.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #46
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Yeah, no doubt.
Are lots of changes going to be made prior to spring training?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #47
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Keith Law is the only one who's said that, but I guess I can see the point. I still think all his stuff is better than just 2.5 stars. Don't know how you'd put an intangible like delivery in the game so guess that's the issue. Yankee fan bias probably is the issue :P
Because people have differing opinions on prospects. I don't think that only because Keith Law does, from watching him pitch he seems very high effort. I'm not very high on Joc Pederson but the industry is.

In the end rating prospects is hard and it's not going to be perfect because as I said we all have differing opinions on guys.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #48
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
Because people have differing opinions on prospects. I don't think that only because Keith Law does, from watching him pitch he seems very high effort. I'm not very high on Joc Pederson but the industry is.

In the end rating prospects is hard and it's not going to be perfect because as I said we all have differing opinions on guys.
Yeah I understand, I'll move away from Yankees prospects because I'm obviously biased

I do hope my other issues get fixed though, especially Tanaka/CC. They make no sense to me.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #49
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Alright, I've found some issues...
1. I tend to agree with you. I'm not the prospects guy though, so I'll let ms2002 discuss that if he wants to.

2. I think you're right. I'll tweak that.

3. OOTP does include pitch framing. We re-did all the catcher's ability ratings to reflect that pitch framing is 75% of the rating! McCann's rating actually dropped after that. I don't know if that's right or not, again I'll let the guys who handled that address it.

4. 93-95 should be fine. That's what he sits at. a 93-95 pitcher in OOTP will occasionally hit 97 or 98.

5. I'm somewhat with you here as well. He may be a tiny bit underrated, but he's certainly already an ace in game.

We try to stick with PECOTA for the MLB guys though, so I don't think we'll change this. I did make a tweak to get his splitter to be clearly his best pitch.

6. I lowered his velocity, it was way off. It's hard to get the pitches exactly right, a lot of this depends on the engine, we can't set them exactly. I tweaked them a bit.

7. Again, this is PECOTA and reflects his past control issues, not only his improved control last year. I imagine if he puts up good control umbers again, PECOTA will be much more optimistic.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #50
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Are lots of changes going to be made prior to spring training?
We make changes throughout the year, but most of the work on prospects gets done in January-March.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #51
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
7) RP Andrew Miller only threw 2.8 BB/9 last year, certainly should be better than 45 control unless the league average was 2 BB/9 which I doubt.
In his career, Miller has walked almost 5 per 9 IP.

Big league player ratings come from PECOTA, which looks over similar player performances in big league history, and assumes current players will develop in the same way as players have in the past. So assuming the roster set has correctly imported the PECOTA projection (I don't have that in front of me), I have to guess that similar relievers in the past who have had an amazing improvement in BB rate have regressed in the following year.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Yeah I can see how a computer can differ from human minds. Which is really cool by the way, it's awesome to see how a computer would rate a player and how I would, it's very interesting.

McCann is also one of the better pitch framers in the game, so it's odd he dropped. Didn't know that 93-95 meant hitting 97 or 98 sometimes, thanks for the info!

As for Tanaka, he's definitely an ace in the game so it's not a huge deal. Just me being nitpicky and wanting everything to be right, but obviously that would be too much work.

Also since defensive projecting/stats tend to be weird and aren't exactly the best right now, Trout is only a 55 is CF on the 20-80 and 69 on the 1-100. I know the stats don't love him, but I think we can all agree he's at the very least well above-average defensively in CF. At least 65+. Same with Ellsbury. Again the stats seem to hate him bigtime, so he's only a 55 I believe. He should also be 65+ in my eyes. Lastly, Miguel Cabrera is 88 defensively at 1B, way too overrated.

Yeah, Miller had major issues with walks in his career, but got much better the past 2. Might just be a career year type of thing, but you could definitely give him a good rating because of last year.

Thanks for the replies and fixes, hope I've helped in my own annoying ways!

Forgot to ask: When you make these tweaks, how do I get them? And if I begin a new game I assume I won't be able to have the tweaks later, correct?

Last edited by Gai1997; 03-20-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #53
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Forgot to ask: When you make these tweaks, how do I get them? And if I begin a new game I assume I won't be able to have the tweaks later, correct?
They show up in the next patch. You have to create a new game after downloading the patch to see them.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #54
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Eovaldi really should be set to 95-97 at least; his average velo last year was almost 96 mph, and he's the third hardest throwing SP in all of baseball (tied with Wily Peralta and behind Garrett Richards and Yordano Ventura).

And in case there's confusion about Yoan Moncada's potential Power, it's set to almost 120 out of 200, so it shouldn't display as a '50' on any OOTP ratings scale. He's rated to be a star.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #55
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Quote:
They show up in the next patch. You have to create a new game after downloading the patch to see them.
Ahh okay. Well looks like I won't be playing with them because I can't wait, gotta play play play!

All my ratings were a little off, I was on the next closest to 100% accurate. So my ratings were like give or take, but my problems still hold true anyway despite a little difference.

Last edited by Gai1997; 03-20-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #56
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Eovaldi really should be set to 95-97 at least; his average velo last year was almost 96 mph, and he's the third hardest throwing SP in all of baseball (tied with Wily Peralta and behind Garrett Richards and Yordano Ventura).
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
it's set to almost 120 out of 200, so it shouldn't display as a '50' on any OOTP ratings scale. He's rated to be a star.
I know, don't remind me

EDIT: I just can't take it anymore, that power rating's going down a bit.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-20-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #57
Gai1997
Major Leagues

Also is there a reason for no perfect ratings on any hitters? Last year there were tons, some kind of game balancing thing?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #58
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Also is there a reason for no perfect ratings on any hitters? Last year there were tons, some kind of game balancing thing?
You mean 80 of 80? Dunno, I guess that the evaluation algorithm changed a bit. The ratings certainly aren't lower overall, that I've seen.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #59
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Quote:
Done.

I know, don't remind me
Moncada = Don't believe the hype. Shame so many baseball writers/FO guys did.

You know it's going to get worse cos he signed with Red Sox.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #60
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
EDIT: I just can't take it anymore, that power rating's going down a bit.
Nooooo....

Maybe we can debate that a bit on the beta forum and agree on something!