Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #361
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Yes it has!
No it hasn't!

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 07-12-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #362
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
I assume this is the game's way of compensating for some of the outsized ratings in OOTP 13-created players, and it evens out over time as old players retire?
Could be. I've only played 2 seasons of my imported league since moving it over to '14. I mainly did my look-see test because of the varied opinions in this thread such as "oh it's not that bad" to " the talent is horrendous". A fresh '14 league will usually have blue and green potential players filling up the first page of prospects while my imported league drafts barely make it halfway down the page. Why this is only Markus can answer but your theory does makes some sense.
YanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #363
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
Is this thread seriously still going? Here's the answer: if the draft pool is dog sh*t, over time it will even itself out. You say the talent is "poor" but that is just a comparison to what ratings/players are currently in the league. And enough with "star ratings" - they mean almost nothing. Stats stats stats stats! Do these "poor talent" players end up hitting .198 for their career? Or have you not simmed that far? This thread has just become arguing. Let's move on. Let's take bets on how long it takes for a someone to ask about stats-only?
I'm sorry, but "shut up and like it" doesn't convince me that draft pools in OOTP14 are working as intended.

I translate "over time it will even itself out" to mean that I will put up with many seasons of odd results until older players eventually retire leaving only players created with OOTP14. If the real ratings match the ratings that I am seeing, these new players will be unable to compete against existing players with much higher ratings. Or maybe I just don't understand how the game works.

"Have you not simmed that far?" No. I don't sim. I play out games, and it takes me a month or two to finish a season. So, do I want to invest a year in wading through dog sh!t draft pools? Not really.

It would be nice to know if this is a bug, or a poorly-implemented fix to an existing problem, or an intended change to game mechanics. It would be very helpful if someone from the development team could comment on this. Maybe if the thread continues, it will eventually get their attention. If you are tired of reading, just move on to another thread.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #364
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I do have to say that generally speaking I find it's a good idea, when running fictional leagues, to start 20 years earlier than you intended, sim, and then delete the history. I've done this for past versions of the game going back years and years. I do have to say that I've eschewed that for this version and so far things are going okay, I guess - I'm into the 3rd year (1903, in fact!) in God Mode and a couple of draft picks have scurried onto teams thus far, with a few more in AAA waiting to be called up. By and large these are 1st and 2nd round picks (I can see this off-hand because I tend to give those people names ).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #365
BeancheBlanco
Minors (Double A)

Just finished the draft for my second year. There is definitely a huge drop-off in star talent. I understand that this will even out since both pitchers and hitters will grow worse accordingly, however, it makes it extremely difficult to draft if every player after the 2nd round is rated as 1-star. The draft is just a crapshoot and not even worth doing yourself. Count me in the annoyed camp for this issue.
BeancheBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #366
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I'm sorry, but "shut up and like it" doesn't convince me that draft pools in OOTP14 are working as intended.

I translate "over time it will even itself out" to mean that I will put up with many seasons of odd results until older players eventually retire leaving only players created with OOTP14. If the real ratings match the ratings that I am seeing, these new players will be unable to compete against existing players with much higher ratings. Or maybe I just don't understand how the game works.

"Have you not simmed that far?" No. I don't sim. I play out games, and it takes me a month or two to finish a season. So, do I want to invest a year in wading through dog sh!t draft pools? Not really.

It would be nice to know if this is a bug, or a poorly-implemented fix to an existing problem, or an intended change to game mechanics. It would be very helpful if someone from the development team could comment on this. Maybe if the thread continues, it will eventually get their attention. If you are tired of reading, just move on to another thread.
I love your liking of all the comments that agree with you. its like youre trying gather a force to get the draft changed. Anyway I went and did what you said and went and read your posts through this topic. Now Im more confused about your position.

You admitted that it ends up the same its only the draft itself you care about. You also said that before there was work to do to try and find a good player. That is still true.
So the only thing you dont like is seeing one star rated players. You never mentioned their actual ratings except for that picture you put up but that guy had something to work with so wasnt that bad. So is it just the visual of stars that bothers you??
Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #367
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

IFFFFFFFFFFF these fictional draft pools are truly sucky sucklings of the suck duck, then they should not be reaching the big leagues and the players that were created when the drafts were "good" would be sticking around longer and not losing their jobs to the "bad" players that were drafted.

I don't play fictional, so I have no leagues to look at from 13 that I can import (and why bother creating them when there are enough people that have such leagues that they can pull up in a flash).

Look at the number of rookies that debuted in your ML in the years prior to your first 14 draft.

Then look at the number of players that debuted in your first completed season of v 14. If these draftees were so awful, there will be fewer rookies in your first season after your first v14 draft than there was when using v 13.

You can go further and cross reference how many of your rookie debuts were drafted the previous year in v13 and compare that to version 14.

If these draftees truly suck compared to v 13 and are not simply the same caliber of players as before, but presented to the user differently, then all users of fictional leagues that have migrated to 14 will see a skew in these numbers from their historical norms.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 07-13-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clean up
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #368
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I've definitely noticed the talent pool for draft classes is getting worse each year.

In 2017, there's only 27 players in the entire draft class 2 stars and above potential wise. I assume there should be much more?

Last edited by Habsfan18; 02-19-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #369
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I've definitely noticed the talent pool for draft classes is getting worse each year.

In 2017, there's only 27 players in the entire draft class 2 stars and above potential wise. I assume there should be much more?

is this based on your scout? what does he favour?

I still don't think its far off from reality. What would you project Rob Kaminsky at?
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote