Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Fonzie
Bat Boy

Whither the great starters?

I've been so in love with iOOTP that I've played it constantly since its release - and am now in the year 2063 with my 30-team fictional league. However, I've noticed something recently that has caused me some concern. It seems that over the last two decades or so that the "stud" starting pitchers have disappeared. By "stud" I'm referring to those guys who have Stuff/Movement/Control all in the blue-range (17+ on the 20 point scale). Early on there were usually a handful of such guys always playing, but for some time now those guys have been absent. There are still 5-star starters out there, but they invariably have some shortcomings. For example, I have a current 5-star starter who has S/M/C ratings of 19/13/13 (along with a 16 in stamina, five pitches and 99-101 mph velocity). There are a total of 10 5-star pitchers league-wide, and none of them are what I would call "stud" territory. All have some deficiencies, and while some of them occasionally have great seasons, none of them have been able to sustain a great career.

I've not seen a commensurate change with the studly hitters. This has translated into some noticeable changes in the league leaderboards, with ERA leaders consistently in the 3.15-range and win totals in the high-teens. League-wide ERAs have been in the 4.5-4.7 range. Anybody seen any changes like this with the studly starters? Or was I just lucky with the early preponderance of legendary pitchers I had in my fictional league?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
JayWigley
Minors (Double A)

This is a great question: how does the dev team ensure that the game is reasonably balanced in the long term, *and* ensure that there are not only average players developing?

If others have OOTP experience that speaks to this question, I'd enjoy the comparison, since I am strictly an iOOTPer now.
JayWigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
GlennN
Minors (Single A)

Nevermind, I forgot this was the iOOTP forum - can't edit the draft pool.

Last edited by GlennN; 08-31-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Wrong forum - brain cramp!
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Fonzie
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN View Post
Nevermind, I forgot this was the iOOTP forum - can't edit the draft pool.
I'm not familiar with the current iteration of OOTP - are there similar concerns about starters generated in the draft over the long term?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

I haven't played the fictional league yet but I've pure-simmed a few historical leagues about 30 years each and have found no shortage of 76+/80 starting pitchers. Maybe it's just a bit of bad luck on your game
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote