Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

A series of questions for those who manage all their games

Good morning everyone! I've been thinking lately of starting a save where I play out every single game. I've actually never done this as I am usually daunted at the prospect of a full season taking several weeks. I'm usually too impatient. So before I dive into that, I'm hoping to get some perspective from the players that do play out their season. If you don't play out your whole season, feel free to answer the questions, but just make sure to put down how much you do play. Many thanks to all that respond!

In your reply, just copy and paste what's below along with your answers:

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself?

2. How many games is your season?

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D?

4. Short play by play or Full?

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch?

6. DH or no DH and why?

7. Which era do you play in?

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era?

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play?

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:41 AM   #2
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Good morning everyone! I've been thinking lately of starting a save where I play out every single game. I've actually never done this as I am usually daunted at the prospect of a full season taking several weeks. I'm usually too impatient. So before I dive into that, I'm hoping to get some perspective from the players that do play out their season. If you don't play out your whole season, feel free to answer the questions, but just make sure to put down how much you do play. Many thanks to all that respond!

In your reply, just copy and paste what's below along with your answers:

6. DH or no DH and why?

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save?
1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? 90%

2. How many games is your season? 162

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? 3D

4. Short play by play or Full? Full

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? one pitch

6. DH or no DH and why? no DH keeping it realistic in the NL

7. Which era do you play in? current one

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? let my manager do that

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? 30

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? dont panic when your team hits a run of losses (because they will) they will come good eventually its all about taking it one game at a time and making changes as you see fit
Old 04-09-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

100%

162 (MLB, so MLB will answer other questions)

3D

Full (I guess)

At-bat (the space bar!)

6. DH or no DH and why?
MLB

Current MLB

Yes

MLB

In addition to what Luke mentioned...

a. I usually end-up following or noticing a few players who perform outside of their expected norms, and who seem like good enough folks. Like Carlos Tocci who I traded-for; for some reason, he cracks me up, with odd-ball clutch hitting against ace-starters, throwing-guys out from CF, and nutty plays out in the field.

b. And if you do manage your franchise, and your team, while playing-out your games, you will end-up with memorable games and players.

c. Try to imagine what the local sports radio commentary and sports fan reaction would be to whatever is happening or whatever you are doing in the game; you have some help in the game per this, as you do get messages regarding fan reaction to players being acquired or traded away, as well as attendance and fan interest.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
benderguy1
Minors (Single A)

Relative newcomer to OOTP here. OOTP 20 was my first year with the game, I played mostly as Manager Only starting with the 2019 Mets season and moved forward from there. Now playing OOTP 21 and took over the reins from Brodie Van Wagenen as GM and still managing every game. Currently playing the 2020 season in OOTP 21.

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? 100%

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One pitch

6. DH or no DH and why? DH in AL games where applicable.

7. Which era do you play in? Modern

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Mostly. I make tweaks to each player strategy.

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? Full simulation, 30 team league.

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? I truly love the NL strategy of baseball. Managing every game rarely becomes a chore. In OOTP 20, I started simming some games, but not until I was into the 2023 season and Brodie had completely decimated the team with terrible trades and poor drafting. Also, ownership changed from the Wilpons to an owner who was trying to get us to run the team with a Marlins-like budget. It got to be rather frustrating watching my managerial win percentage and rating go down due to a lack of talent on the team. With OOTP 21, taking over as GM has put it ALL on my back. Now I love both aspects of the game.
benderguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? A little of both, but mostly 2D. I quickly get annoyed with the various shortcomings of 3D

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One pitch, unless there's a situation that requires more strategy, such as a fast runner on base

6. DH or no DH and why? Same as MLB

7. Which era do you play in? Current MLB, though I am in 2026 (started this save in OotP18)

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? More or less

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? 29, though I'm going to try to expand soon

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? I don't have any specific advice because I find this way of playing to be more immersive by default.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Miamikb2001
Minors (Single A)

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself?100

2. How many games is your season?162

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D?3D

4. Short play by play or Full?Full

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch?One Pitch mostly

6. DH or no DH and why?Mlb I'm an NL guy at heart

7. Which era do you play in?Modern

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era?For the most part

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play?Currently in 2037 and league has expanded with 4 more teams

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? This I hard to say,i'm a baseball junkie so I just loce all of it the strategy and stats so much to ingest.Sometimes I"ll change camera angles amd also manage some of the guys down on the farm.I rarely get bored as NL has a more strategy in my opinion,
_______
Miamikb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? 100 percent

2. How many games is your season? The real number. I have a current day MLB game, so that's 162. I also have a historical 1932, so that's 154.

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? 3D set on super fast so I can get through games faster

4. Short play by play or Full? Short

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One pitch when no one is on base. Sometimes every pitch when someone is.

6. DH or no DH and why? Modern day with DH because I am in in the AL. Historical without because it didn't exist yet.

7. Which era do you play in? See above.

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Probably. I have my own quirks and preferences like anybody. When playing historically, I like to take advantage of the increased pitcher's stamina by bringing in starters in relief sometimes or going with a 3-man rotation in a month with a lot of off days. I do whatever I can to steal some wins.

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? The historically accurate number (30 modern day and 16 in 1932)

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? Very fast short PBP and very fast or super fast 3D. That kills the dead time so that you can hurry up and get to the next hitter. Between games, get emotional and overreact to what your players did. That isn't a good strategy, but it certainly is immersive.
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_patters View Post

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? Very fast short PBP and very fast or super fast 3D. That kills the dead time so that you can hurry up and get to the next hitter. Between games, get emotional and overreact to what your players did. That isn't a good strategy, but it certainly is immersive.
That's really good advice. I never really thought to change the 3d speed. I just tried it and it actually even makes the animations look better. Probably because it hides a lot of the stuttering

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 04-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? I play ALL Regular and Post-Season Games. MLB base (162+)

2. How many games is your season? See above

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? Although I have tons of 3D Stadiums installed, I play in 2D. My graphics card and RAM seem to not support playing in 3D Mode. It's also why I'm big on making sure every park has a .prk file and a 2D image.

4. Short play by play or Full? Huh?

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One pitch but I'll take pitches with some players to get the right count to steal a bag on.

6. DH or no DH and why? AL has the DH, NL does not.

7. Which era do you play in? I've been playing real-time but in the past I have created fictional leagues using historical era settings.

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? I'm a purist when it comes to things. I believe in small ball winning games and starters going deep into games.

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? The question would be how many leagues are in my game lol. 32 Teams as I always expand MLB.

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? I would tell you don't lose hours of sleep over it. I've probably lost the total of one good night's sleep a week (eight hours) for being too immersed into the game.
BIG WORLD for OOTP22: WinRAR File ZIP file
My Custom Schedules

nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
swoboda
All Star Starter

1,Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? 100%

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? 3D all the time

4. Short play by play or Full? Short PBP

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One pitch unless I am trying to get ahead in the count for a steal or hit and run

6. DH or no DH and why? DH?? Is that the silly thing they do in the AL?

7. Which era do you play in? modern but I go with a 4 man rotation

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Mostly

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? Full MLB 30 but I pick historic strong teams for each franchise

I find managing the games and being GM of the franchise and reviewing league stats and checking out a few box scores and watching walk off highlights and reviewing various league reports to be more than enough to stay immersed.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
slugga27
All Star Starter

A series of questions for those who manage all their games

3. Are you a 3D player or 2D? 2D

4. Short play by play or Full? Short

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? One-pitch

6. DH or no DH and why? Standard MLB setup

7. Which era do you play in? Modern

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Depends on the team. A speed demon team is going to get its stolen bases.

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? 30

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? Patience is key. Some seasons are going to seem never ending if you're not doing well, but it's easy to get immersed in your team and especially your top prospects.

Last edited by slugga27; 04-09-2020 at 02:12 PM.
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
KGAGE
Minors (Single A)

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? All of them

140 games

6. DH or no DH and why? West - No DH East - DH Makes it more interesting with the difference between the two leagues

7. Which era do you play in? Modern era - Started with the 2007 version of OOTP and currently in the 2028 season on OOTP21 so I get 1.5 or 2 seasons done per version

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Yes

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? Started with 50 in 2007 - one per US state where I manage the Michigan team. The league expanded to 56 with some new Canadian Providences and US territories such as Puerto Rico

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? I play a completely fictional league with fictional players which makes it more unpredictable in my opinion. Changing stadiums and color schemes for your more familiar opponents keeps it fresh. The further you go, the more history you build and since you have played them all, you get a better feel for when something unusual or interesting is occurring.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

Well, I at least START to manage 100%, but I will sometimes quickplay to the end after 5 or 6 innings if the game is a blowout.

I do historical single season "replays" so either 154 or 162.

Both, also play some games in Classic Webcast view.

Short if I'm playing 3D...I kind of create my own pbp in my head while watching the action unfold. If I'm playing 2D or webcast, it depends.

One pitch.

6. DH or no DH and why?
See #2

See #2

Mostly, I guess. I don't believe in "closers" so if I'm managing in the modern era, I handle my bullpen differently than the norm.

See #2.

Take it at your own pace and mix things up a bit. You mentioned it being a two week project...for me that would be way too much and I'd probably burn out. I've been managing the 2013 Pirates since the beta release about 3 weeks ago and I'm only about 75 games in, but everybody's different.
Also, I switch it up between 3D, 2D and Webcast, depending on how fast I want to get through the games. And when playing in 3D, I usually change the camera angles for every series. This new feature in 21 really helps to keep things fresh.
BTW, great avatar and signature!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablobj View Post
Well, I at least START to manage 100%, but I will sometimes quickplay to the end after 5 or 6 innings if the game is a blowout.

I do historical single season "replays" so either 154 or 162.

Both, also play some games in Classic Webcast view.

Short if I'm playing 3D...I kind of create my own pbp in my head while watching the action unfold. If I'm playing 2D or webcast, it depends.

One pitch.

6. DH or no DH and why?
See #2

See #2

Mostly, I guess. I don't believe in "closers" so if I'm managing in the modern era, I handle my bullpen differently than the norm.

See #2.

Take it at your own pace and mix things up a bit. You mentioned it being a two week project...for me that would be way too much and I'd probably burn out. I've been managing the 2013 Pirates since the beta release about 3 weeks ago and I'm only about 75 games in, but everybody's different.
Also, I switch it up between 3D, 2D and Webcast, depending on how fast I want to get through the games. And when playing in 3D, I usually change the camera angles for every series. This new feature in 21 really helps to keep things fresh.
BTW, great avatar and signature!

Last edited by jpeters1734; 04-09-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #15
ablobj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Another Bucs fan! Since starting this thread, I actually have started a play every game challenge save and of course I started with the 2013 Pirates! And it reminds me of what could have been
Yeah, that 2013 season was a special one for all of us Buccos fans..."CUETO...CUETO....CUETO....and that ball is GONE!"
ablobj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
backupbatboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

- All of them (also have a sim save to maintain sanity)

- Typically run a real life one, and a 50 game season historical/fictional

- 2D. Never even tried 3D and probably never will

- Short. Everything as quickly as possible so games only take a few minutes each

- One pitch unless I need to steal, forcing me to work the count

6. DH or no DH and why?
- No DH because I like Bartolo Colon hitting homers more than JD Martinez hitting homers. Also I like an NL team, and it also keeps you honest with use of relievers and bench players

- Current, even with my historical play it's set in 2019

- N/A

- Typically just normal MLB structure

- Get players you like. Let yourself get emotionally attached to that 22 year old that you want to succeed so badly. Other than that, it's really just a preference thing. I'd rather play 5 season this way than 50 simming.
backupbatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupbatboy View Post
- All of them (also have a sim save to maintain sanity)

- Typically run a real life one, and a 50 game season historical/fictional

- 2D. Never even tried 3D and probably never will

- Short. Everything as quickly as possible so games only take a few minutes each

- One pitch unless I need to steal, forcing me to work the count

6. DH or no DH and why?
- No DH because I like Bartolo Colon hitting homers more than JD Martinez hitting homers. Also I like an NL team, and it also keeps you honest with use of relievers and bench players

- Current, even with my historical play it's set in 2019

- N/A

- Typically just normal MLB structure

- Get players you like. Let yourself get emotionally attached to that 22 year old that you want to succeed so badly. Other than that, it's really just a preference thing. I'd rather play 5 season this way than 50 simming.
This is exactly why I hate the DH. It is so much fun seeing a pitcher absolutely rake

Old 04-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #18
Pedro
Minors (Single A)

1. Roughly what percentage of your season's games do you manage yourself? 100%. Maybe sim a few games in Sep if the title is locked up.

2. How many games is your season? MLB 162

6. DH or no DH and why? I play the Padres but switch to the DH in the National League after year one, before free agency. This is just a quality of life thing as I get older, and also it streamlines the game a little if you’re moving from simming games to playing them out. I also bump roster size by 1 in both leagues. Again, QOL so I’m not micromanaging as much.

7. Which era do you play in? Present day

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era? Yes, to some extent. I adjust individual player strategy.

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play? Present day mlb

The immersion and engagement takes care of itself, you are much more engaged than when you are simming. Each at bat takes on significance, the excitement is palpable. You develop a relationship with your players, both rational admiration and irrational prejudices. You develop rivalries with teams that always seem to pull out improbable wins when they visit, you have players that consistently win games against you - Arenado, gah! It’s much more visceral, if that’s a word that can be used in regard to baseball! In short, you’re much more involved and really feel that you live or die by your decisions.

Last edited by Pedro; 04-10-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #19
omahajoe41
Bat Boy

2. How many games is your season?162

4. Short play by play or Full? full

5. One pitch mode or Every pitch? I'll do first inning every pitch and then go to one pitch; if I get to a crucial strategy situation I'll go back to every pitch since stealing, run and hit, take a pitch, etc changes with the count. Also, it adds to the tension

6. DH or no DH and why? DH interleague, I manage the Cubs

7. Which era do you play in? today, 2020

8. Do you manage your team using normal strategy for that era?yes

9. How many other teams are in the league that you play?15 NL teams, I play solo and not on in an organized league

10. What advice can you give on how to stay engaged and immersed in a play every game save? I try to just play along with actual schedule when there is real baseball. This year, I am playing one game a day, the Cubs game, and simming the rest of baseball. As a retired guy, I can play one game a day and enjoy the game. I've been playing OOTP for six seasons, before that I was involved with Diamond Mind, PTP, APBA, Tony Russo baseball etc. This is a remarkable computer game. I prefer to play manager/general manager, but I leave most of the general manager duties to Jed Hoyer.
omahajoe41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #20
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I never play out games, but reading about all of these tabletop people playing game out games because of the shutdown, it's making me want to take over a season and watch the games play out like a TV show I watch everyday or something.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote