Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Feeder League Help/Questions

So I'm thinking of adding Feeder Leagues to an existing world that has 30+ years of history and I'm looking for some advice/tips on how to approach this.

I noticed the last patch fixes the problem with JUCO and HS players, so am thinking now is a good time to add Feeders.

A couple questions I have:

1. When is the best time of year to add them? My draft is default Jun 5, so should I add right after WS? Or wait til preseason begins in Feb? Not sure when Feeder League schedules run.

2. My league uses stats/settings from 1985 - every year. I don't have it advancing. Can I set the Feeders to 1985 and run autocalc on totals & modifiers safely to get their stats in line?

3. Any other tips, things to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks for any/all feedback.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
My advice don't do it lol

Sorry I'm super negative about feeders.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've gone the opposite way. With the new game created draft classes of v21 I deleted the feeders I was running in previous versions. It sounds promising, smaller save file (a small side benefit, not a real reason to switch), and stats that are supposed mimic real life college\HS players. Not trying to talk you out of feeders, just explaining why I want to try the new model.

I'll try to answer but it was a long time ago that I created mine and I may have forgotten some of the pitfalls. Though, maybe with v21's new 4 yrs and done instead of "graduating" based on age some of those issues may no longer exist.

1. I don't think when you create makes much difference as you can (long time ago so not sure just where I did it) set the schedule to start when you want. What I did was set a start date that allowed enough time for a 50 game season to be completed 2 weeks before the draft. I did this to assure players that graduated were under no team control when the draft arrived. With the new 4 yr rules in v21 maybe having the season over before the draft is no longer necessary? Hell, maybe it wasn't necessary in my game either but I know I was afraid, if the season was still going, it would screw up the draft and not put players in that it should.

2. Stats and LT and LTMs will work the same. Set as you like and autocalc. What you don't get is "men among boys" stats for the great players, at least I didn't. What you do get is star players, like any league, that have played games to give "real" stats to judge them by. No real life Joe Mauer type that strikes out 2 times in a 4 yr HS career. Instead a Mauer that puts up star player stats not superman stats.

Keep in mind you could dig up some Col\HS real life stats and set LT that way too. In any case I never worried too much about that as the players all play in the same world so produce stats in context to that world.

3. Again my feeders were created a long time ago so maybe some of this won't apply anymore. Maybe with v21 ages, positions etc is all automated?

Creating the league you want to set age range to cover the 4 years of each league. I think mine was 14-17 for HS and 18-21 college. I think this worked as HS freshmen coming in, dependent on birthday and season start could either be 14 or 15. College 18-19. After the first year is created I went back and set player age creation min\max to 14/14 HS and 18/18 College to get only freshmen coming in every year.

After creating the league I looked it over to see how the pitchers and batters compared in numbers year to year. IIRC the classes were unbalanced and I went in the editor and changed some birth years to even it out. Maybe it would have worked out from default over time but IIRC I was going to have classes with 80% of prospects Ps one year and Bs the next. I didn't like it and fixed it before letting the leagues get underway.

In the end best advice...

Create it, look all settings over thoroughly top to bottom, every page. Age creation, rules, LT, etc. Are you doing playoffs? Need to figure that in if you want the league done before the draft.

Then of course before hitting "finish day" make a backup. But I'm guessing you already have that planned

Hope v21 has taken out most of those pitfalls. In either case I hope, after some time, you post how it all worked out. Who knows? After using the new v21 created draft classes I may decide to return to feeders.
Time will tell.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the reply Sweed. I think from what I've read some of those pitfalls may have been fixed in 21.

My main concern was with when to add, because like you say, the feeder sched has to be done before the draft.

I'll definitely be doing everything in a copy of my league first to see how it turns out. If things look good, then apply to good copy. I'm a backup nut so I'll be keeping a few copies of both before and after.

Tks again.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Thanks for the reply Sweed. I think from what I've read some of those pitfalls may have been fixed in 21.

My main concern was with when to add, because like you say, the feeder sched has to be done before the draft.

I'll definitely be doing everything in a copy of my league first to see how it turns out. If things look good, then apply to good copy. I'm a backup nut so I'll be keeping a few copies of both before and after.

Tks again.
No problem.

I setup my leagues to play in April-May which gave plenty of time to get in 50 games and a quick one and done playoff structure. My draft around June 5, I think. However it was done playoffs were done a week before the draft . Also before allowing the season to start I did check the schedule to make sure it wouldn't run over.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Going to pick your brain a little more on the subject here if I may, but first I'll explain what I'm doing to help you better understand what I wish to accomplish.

I'm going to do something I haven't done since I stopped playing in online leagues with OOTP12. I haven't managed/GM'd since then. Always played in spectator mode.

Basically follow my league like I do real baseball. Except instead of following a favourite team I would follow a lot of different players.

Nine years later and here's OOTP21 and I want to try my hand at GM again. I don't play with coaches so I'll do that stuff too or delegate to my Asst. I had always wanted to try feeders because I thought it would bring more depth and immersion.

However I'm somewhat curious now about the new game created draft classes. Are they a big improvement and an adequate or better replacement for feeders?

The stats are game generated, same as before I take it, they don't actually play but you can see a few years worth of stats on them?

I expect when I get back to being GM I'll have a bit of a learning curve, many differences between 12 and 21 . On the other hand, I have kept up on all the changes, I still scout draft classes and follow trades, etc even as a fan. Being a GM is still being a GM, just have a lot more tools to work with now I believe.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, hope this makes sense.

If the new draft classes are doing as good or better job, I may just stay with that.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Since I play 'em all out I am not even close to seeing a draft. I imported my on-going v20 game but was only in July. No, importing during a season doesn't bother me in the least. I just started September, long way to go to see how it works.

Yes, my understanding is the players will have 4 years of stats from HS and college. Not sure how that works for purely created college player, IE if created as a college player do they still have stats from HS?

My understanding too is some HS players undrafted will attend either JC or C. So, I guess 8 yrs of stats then.

In any case my thought was if I can get to the same location I already do but without feeders, why not? I also hoped that there would be the "man among boys" stat producers in these created players, but I don't know.

The final line of defense is if I give it a few seasons and don't like it I can always go back and add new feeders.

One other advantage was I deleted the feeders in v20 making the v21 import a little bit smaller It didn't shrink it as much as I thought it would but then I did keep the history of those leagues too.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #8
alphington
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

In any case my thought was if I can get to the same location I already do but without feeders, why not? I
My thoughts too - I'm sticking with ootp20 and my feeders for now but will be very interested in hearing down the track if you think the computer generated stats in 21 are as good/accurate predictors as those produced by the feeders in 'actual' games. If they are I will move to version 21.
alphington is offline   Reply With Quote