Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Salary Cap Ever Work For You?

Is it me or is the salary cap feature broken?

I feel like its never actually stopped teams from exceeding the hard player payroll cap?

Am I doing something wrong?
2032 & 2040 World Champion
https://baseball-stars.com/
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I think the only way to remove the cap is to remove arbitration. I cannot be certain but I think the salary jump that happens at arb time screws up the cap completely.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Also September call ups.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
udbacker58
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Also September call ups.
And players added to the 40-man over the winter. They suddenly get ML contracts in Spring Training and can put a team over.

Adding players to the ML/40-man roster in season can put teams over too (big issue with injuries)
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a few teams going over due to 500k contracts isn't much of a factor relative to what a salary cap does before that point.

if they are 10m-20m over and often that's a serious issue. the ai either has to cutoff with a bit more cushion or 'rules' allow for a little cushion above the cap... mostly arbitrary which it is.

imo, the cap should work as rationally expected, rather than an appoximation. i thought the only way to go over was iwth comissioner mode on, but i don't look over other teams much. avoiding it should be easy for a human player.

if it's just a few 500k contracts here and there, that's no problem realtive to competition.. .those palyers are not helping the team much more than any other mook they should have used.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
udbacker58
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
a few teams going over due to 500k contracts isn't much of a factor relative to what a salary cap does before that point.

if they are 10m-20m over and often that's a serious issue. the ai either has to cutoff with a bit more cushion or 'rules' allow for a little cushion above the cap... mostly arbitrary which it is.

imo, the cap should work as rationally expected, rather than an appoximation. i thought the only way to go over was iwth comissioner mode on, but i don't look over other teams much. avoiding it should be easy for a human player.

if it's just a few 500k contracts here and there, that's no problem realtive to competition.. .those palyers are not helping the team much more than any other mook they should have used.
Just a few 500k contracts turns into millions pretty quickly, especially with the higher rate of injuries in this version. I've had up to 8 starters on the 60-day DL, plus others on the 7-day. If I was against the cap at the beginning of the season, I'd be $4-5 million over the cap, just with 500k injury replacements.
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Conversely if you release a player instead of their entire contract being counted against the cap (like say in football) it's subtracted from your cap total even though you are on the hook for that money in your finances. Not necessarily bad but that's not how it usually works in the sports world.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote