Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
ScorpioSymbol
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Problems with historical stats (Cy Young)

So I can't ever seem to get Cy Young to reach his potential when I start in a historical league and draft him.

I've tried starting a historical league with him already in his career and he's always 5 stars, but when I draft him and use him that way I've never seen him get past 3, and he quickly degenerates after a 5-6 years.

I have "Automatically adjust league totals after each season for accuracy" checked, but I can't check recalc player ratings because it's apparently not allowed in challenge mode?

This has happened in 7 different historical sims, and he's the only player I have this issue with.
ScorpioSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I dont think i have ever seen Cy Young win more then 250 games in any sim i have had him in. He along with no hit, great glove middle IF always seem to do poorly in OOTP.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Keep in mind that Young pitched 40-45 complete games per year, starting nearly 50. If you are using modern 25 man rosters with 8-10 relievers he will have a very different career. Very generally speaking rosters were around 15-20 in those years with a 1 or 2 person bullpen. Most starters also pitched in relief.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Not being able to use recalc is a huge here as well. I've never felt the dominant pitchers are as dominant when left strictly to the development engine.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
ScorpioSymbol
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I guess the part that confuses me is why he is fantastic and 5 stars if you start a historical league with him already playing, but if you draft him he never amounts to much :/ Seems like a bit of a technical oversight.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSymbol View Post
I guess the part that confuses me is why he is fantastic and 5 stars if you start a historical league with him already playing, but if you draft him he never amounts to much :/ Seems like a bit of a technical oversight.
Recalcification was created partly due to this challenge. Since you cannot use the fix stuck is what you are.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Just don't play in challenge mode
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

I play a historic league starting in 1902 - roughly 60% into his career. Even though Young was coming off a 33 win season and a career-best ERA, his ratings plummeted the following season, to the point that he was stashed in long relief and barely used. I bumped his ratings back up, and by the following offseason, his ratings dropped off again to the point of being unusable. He was released and unsigned by around 1905 or so -- leaving about 180 wins on the table.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukie98 View Post
I play a historic league starting in 1902 - roughly 60% into his career. Even though Young was coming off a 33 win season and a career-best ERA, his ratings plummeted the following season, to the point that he was stashed in long relief and barely used. I bumped his ratings back up, and by the following offseason, his ratings dropped off again to the point of being unusable. He was released and unsigned by around 1905 or so -- leaving about 180 wins on the table.
Have to ask, are you using recalc?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #10
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

My league is about to start the 188 season so Cy Young will enter in a few years and i will keep an eye on his career.
In my thread 1871-?, i believe he had 441 simmed wins. Which is what i usually see. I did use recal.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
My league is about to start the 188 season so Cy Young will enter in a few years and i will keep an eye on his career.
In my thread 1871-?, i believe he had 441 simmed wins. Which is what i usually see. I did use recal.
How quickly do you sim? Just curious
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Depends. I am still editing my transaction list.
Once i have ran the season it doesn't take that long. I think i started in october and i just finished 1891.
Last year i think i started in April and didn't reach 1900 till around christmas.
It should go quicker now that i only have the NL till 1901.
I posted Cy Young's stats so far. His first 2 seasons were very different but keep in mind i am still experimenting with rotation sizes.
A injury to a starting pitcher can affect the other pitcher's stats on the team a lot more than in the modern era.
So i wouldn't read to much in Cy Young's extreme difference in games pitched. I'll try and monitor his team's rotation closer in the next sim years. I can say that i do not edit any players.
It may be better just to set each team's rotation instead of a doing it league wide.
In some cases like Matt Kilroy i had to choose between a 3 man and 4 man rotation or a 2 man rotation. If i use a 2 man rotation i risk him throwing 600+ strikeouts since he had over 500 in real life.
But if i use a 3 man rotation then i risk a pitcher that only pitched 4 games pitching in 30-40 games.
Anyway my main focus right now is getting correct players on teams and having player movement matching teams they played for.
I'm posting Cap Anson's stats and all the team history as well. If there are any other players you would like to see let me know.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by BaseballMan; 11-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #13
WFIL73
Minors (Single A)

In all my sims Cap Anson has never come close to 3000 hits. 2200-2400 is the most he gets and that was without any injuries. Cy Young always seems to get stuck in the bullpen his first seasons in Cleveland. I've had Young get 400 wins. It's Walter Johnson that always gets numbers waay above his totals.
WFIL73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFIL73 View Post
In all my sims Cap Anson has never come close to 3000 hits. 2200-2400 is the most he gets and that was without any injuries. Cy Young always seems to get stuck in the bullpen his first seasons in Cleveland. I've had Young get 400 wins. It's Walter Johnson that always gets numbers waay above his totals.
I would have to check 2 of my leagues that I have Cap in but I didnt realize that he played for 27 seasons. I dont think he has played more then 17 in the 2 leagues. i know when he retired in those leagues he was the all time Hits leader but probably around 2400 Hits.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

As Spritze noted above, without recalc Cy Young becomes Joe Blow and whether he outdoes RL Cy Young or not is kind of out of your hands. Either play without Challenge Mode with recalc, or in Challenge Mode without recalc, accepting the fact that he may not turn out as great as he actually was, and may in fact be kind of terrible. You're kind of at the mercy of the development engine without recalc on.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I never have a problem with Cap Anson getting close to 3,000 hits.
Unless there is a an injury he should have a chance this sim.
Keep in mind i start in 1871 and try to use actual rosters and schedules.
When not musing the real rosters could Anson be facing be better pitching or losing games played to a better player at the point in his career?

Seems like when a pitcher that pitched only 5 games is put in the rotation due to injuries to other players, that pitcher will go to the extreme. Either a ton of wins or a ton of losses. Seems like that pitcher would go more like 12-10 or 9-13 rather than 22-4 or 3-21.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
I never have a problem with Cap Anson getting close to 3,000 hits.
Unless there is a an injury he should have a chance this sim.
Keep in mind i start in 1871 and try to use actual rosters and schedules.
When not musing the real rosters could Anson be facing be better pitching or losing games played to a better player at the point in his career?

Seems like when a pitcher that pitched only 5 games is put in the rotation due to injuries to other players, that pitcher will go to the extreme. Either a ton of wins or a ton of losses. Seems like that pitcher would go more like 12-10 or 9-13 rather than 22-4 or 3-21.
Only league that I have active where Cap has finished his career in my ABF league. He had a few injuries. imported with Neutralized stats. Real schedules.
Attached Images

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-24-2017, 04:19 AM   #18
ScorpioSymbol
Minors (Rookie Ball)

And then there's the insanity that is Christy Mathewson... again, this is challenge mode, completely unedited, just look at those awards and totals...
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And then there's the insanity that is Christy Mathewson... again, this is challenge mode, completely unedited, just look at those awards and totals...
13 bleepin' rings? Geez!
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mine was on some just ok teams. Neutralized stats. And these 2 are not even the best overall after 1900.
Attached Images
Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 11-24-2017 at 07:25 PM.