Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
QuikSand
Bat Boy

Intriguing stuff, big thanks Jim
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Some thoughts on some of the changes/fixes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gindin View Post
The update includes new intermediate game-planning screens. These allow a little more fine-tuning of playbooks and game plans without having to design everything from scratch. You will still benefit from doing everything by hand, but the guided plans will allow considerable customization of your offensive game plan without having to spend hours working on every play.
Complete game-changers for me here for both SP and MP. There have been several seasons in MP where I've either Rexed or kept a game plan that I knew to be sub-optimal for my personnel because I simply didn't have the time to update it for the new season. Or a key skill position player got hurt and I just kept feeding the ball to his backup until the main guy recovered, because of the same time crunch.

As far as SP, playbooks and game plans have been where I've bogged down. Didn't want to run another season with a sub-optimal game plan, but didn't have the time to update it. Huge help here.

Quote:
During the season, you will able to install up to 12 new plays to your playbook each week. If you're at the limit of 200, you will have to delete plays to make room for the new ones. If you are continuing a saved game that's in-season, you will have to simulate a week before you can add new plays (this applies to multi-player as well).
Yeah, see above comments about injuries. It'll be nice to be able to swap out some plays if I'm feeding it to Y and he goes down for the season.

Quote:
The update includes a new blitzing designation screen that gives you a lot more control over which defenders blitz out of your basic personnel packages.
Yeah, nice add here for when the best blitzer is in a non-standard blitzing position.

Quote:
Finally, there are a couple of tweaks to the process of evaluating free agent signings. First, the game will be a little less forgiving about correcting rosters that don't meet guidelines and will try to sign only rookie free agents.
Nice help for MP. No more instances of people getting rewarded for not paying attention.

Quote:
And second, players will be much stricter about letting their agents talk them into assigning much value to back-loaded offers.
As mentioned above, I've checked this and it appears to be working quite well. You can still offer backloaded deals, but they won't beat any deal with more up-front money.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #23
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
This is just awesome, thanks Jim! Can't wait to play with this updated beauty!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hmmm, if only someone had been so enthusiastic when something was suggested like this a year or so ago...

On a more general level, looks promising - may fire up the game and give it a go, but definitely more encouraged about FOF9 now as assuming that this likely to be a part of it.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #24
albionmoonlight
Bat Boy

This is amazing. I've been excited about FOF 9 since the announcement. I had figured that--even though Solecismic had been known for beefy updates in the past--it meant that all focus would be on FOF 9, so FOF 8 updates would not be possible.

This is a huge update. So often, I end up Rex-ing something because I don't have time to get it right. Or, like in my current IHOF league, I try something a little different, and it does not work.

THIS tool seems designed just for someone like me. Someone who wants to build team with an identity, but who might need a little boost in not breaking the gameplan to get there :-)

Thanks a billion, Jim!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Just tried the sliders and the blitzing schemes... They work magic! Hats off to Jim for another amazing update!

Old 10-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
Bisbo
Minors (Single A)

Great update - this will get me back into game planning again. Encountered a problem though. I'm on Windows 10, and two screens always are open when I start the game, and I can't close them (the Season Stage window and the Gameday/Almanac/Options window). Also, the 'graphics' for players' positions and numbers are so small as to be illegible. Any suggestions?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #27
jzicc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

great service to your fans --- can't wait for all the work going into FOF9; THANKS!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #28
Nefarious
Bat Boy

Thanks for the update, Jim.

It brought some of what people liked about FOF7 into FOF8.

Two Thumbs Up
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #29
squirrel
Bat Boy

Just got in-game to gave a proper look for the first time. Plenty of new stuff to figure out here! Thanks Jim
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #30
Julio Riddols
Bat Boy

I was holding out hope for this to be added to the game, I had avoided making playbooks recently because it would routinely take me hours.. Now I can build things exactly how I want. 35 medium pass plays out of shotgun or pistol? I can do that. 20 runs to the left? No problem. I love it. Always wanted an easy way to set a precise number of plays for a particular player and have the game create the plays for me and now I have it. Awesome work Jim, thanks for going above and beyond yet again to support the product.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #31
MIJB#19
Bat Boy

Typical Jim, coming up with a free patch to FOF when you least expect it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
tzach
Bat Boy

This is awesome, Jim. It is well beyond what anyone could expect from a free patch, and certainly adds value to the money invested by all of us who bought the game almost two years ago now. I'm not sure how many other developers have this as practice, but i bet they are not many. a big thank you.

the new version is fantastic -- i cannot emphasize enough how much this adds to the dimension of the game. game plan generators, guided game plans, and control over blitzing schemes address what many of us were hoping to have in FOF9. Having these controls in FOF8 will keep me happy for a while, and give me a chance to explore the logic that is being implemented in FOF9.

I absolutely love the tweaked contract decision tree -- I'm happy that this aspect was not removed from the game, as it adds an interesting strategy layer to contracts. i'll spend a while trying to figure out how the new contract system works and how it can be used to build a competitive roster.

all in all, the revised version will make the game more challenging to me and make me reflect about football, which is what i expect from this simulation. thanks again for providing this update for free.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #33
Elijin
Bat Boy

Great update, Jim! While I've been patiently waiting for FoF9, you blindsided me with this. My favorite part is the new playbook generator. Now my quarterback can play to his strengths with just a few clicks on a slide-bar. Also looking forward to controlling my linebacker blitzes better. Good job and keep up the great work.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #34
evan466
Bat Boy

Hmm, thankful for the update but I am having this problem now. Not a huge issue but it is kind of annoying.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #35
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Thanks Jim!!! I've been wanting to play again...
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #36
ChrustifusMax
Bat Boy

Great to see! I generally judge an update like this by asking myself two things... Will any of it help me? - and - does any of it piss me off? I can honestly say that every bit of it is a positive in my mind.

The Guided Playbook creation - fantastic!
The Guided Gameplan creation - woot!
Being able to add/remove plays from playbook during season - hells yeah!
Addressing backloaded contracts - right on!
Drag and Drop plays - beautiful!
Blitzing plans - hot damn!

The only things missing are...
The elimination of the 3 active TE's requirement - damn you!
A blueprint to not sucking - well, I suppose that one's on me...

Seriously though, great stuff Jim!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #37
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

hate to say that the playbook is lost on me for now but i enjoy the updated roster set none the less. Sounds like OOTP's FOF is aways out which is too bad tho this will get me playing 8 again after a hiatus.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #38
Bisbo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan466 View Post
Hmm, thankful for the update but I am having this problem now. Not a huge issue but it is kind of annoying.

Same problem I'm experiencing.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #39
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

I am experiencing a similar problem with the frames not adjusting to the color background of what they frame.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Since Ben's pointing us to these forums now for FOF8 stuff I might as well report what might possibly be a bug:

In-season when trying to add a play to the playbook you are unable to edit the play you're trying to add.

Generate Guided Plays and Generate Plays work perfectly fine, but Add Play isn't editable. When you click "Add Play" the window pops up, but you cannot interact with any of the drop down menus.

One other person is having this issue. We're in different leagues so I don't believe it's a league issue.

I took a video of it with my phone.It's a terrible looking video since I'm at work and couldn't use capture software and while I don't actually say anything you can hear coworkers in the background. Enjoy that.

Edit: Perhaps the game is treating "Add Play" as if it were "Edit Play" as editing plays isn't allowed in-season per the Help File. Yes, I checked the Help File before posting.

Last edited by garion333; 10-23-2018 at 01:11 PM.