Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #21
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slic1149 View Post
You are suggesting a complete reset of every major league player to non major league players would be forgotten in three years? This would mean that we are not interested in who plays it. I find that to be an incredible stretch of logic. I do not go to a major league game to see a home run. I go to a game hoping to see a 500 foot job from Stanton. I want to see 100mph from Chapman. Hell, everything I love about baseball revolves around the stars, stories, and stats that comprise the totality of Professional Baseball.
I disagree and I would claim that it would take way less than three years, not only because the people that media and advertisers care about have an attention span of approximately seven seconds these days. People need **** to like on Twatbook. Any 420ft home run will do.

Since not all humans are of equal quality and competence (in a baseball sense as well as in all other aspects), in any group of 750 ballplayers there will be some that are better and some that are worse; some that are a whole lot better (Stanton, Chapman), and some that are… heck, Burch Smith.

If the entire MLB population would be replaced with 750 new players overnight, there would be new stars tomorrow among those 750, as they have the best skill sets among their group. And I do believe that people would go see these stars (who also will have stories) just as well as the old ones, even though it would not be Stanton or Chapman anymore but somebody completely different. Just look at the near-riot that breaks out whenever some rookie hits six homers in his first ten games. You can be a "star" in a week in today's MLB.

Just like people don't matter one bit, names don't matter one bit, that is my firm belief. At best, team colors matter (which is also why the Marlins will never get anybody to pull for them with their biannual image change), because it serves our primeval instinct to stick to our band or tribe for protection and comfort.

Names matter the least of all. Fans would have rooted the living hell for Roberto Hernandez if he had still pitched like Fausto Carmona. Does anybody still remember that Giancarlo Stanton entered the league as Mike Stanton? Does anybody still care about that? If Trout or Judge or Harper would legally change their name to Elmo Fishbein tomorrow, would people not root for them anymore? I'd claim that Fishbein #99 jerseys would sell like hot dogs!

Look at all the players that died during their careers, be it MLB or any other sport.

When Dale Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500, a rookie Kevin Harvick sat in his (renumbered) car the next week at Rockingham. People gave the three-fingers salute for a year, Harvick held off Jeff Gordon to win in his third Winston Cup race at Atlanta, and a new star was born.

When Thurman Munson died, the Yankees had a new catcher behind the plate the next night, by necessity and because like anything else in life, baseball goes on.

Much of the Manchester United soccer team was wiped out in a 1958 plane crash in Munich. The team got themselves new players, and fans still pulled for them. Six years later they won their next championship.

People don't matter. Names don't matter. Any show worth watching will go on, and create new stars and stories by default.

(Disclaimer: Not all of this is a reply to the quote; this post gradually got out of hand)

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #22
slic1149
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I disagree and I would claim that it would take way less than three years, not only because the people that media and advertisers care about have an attention span of approximately seven seconds these days. People need **** to like on Twatbook. Any 420ft home run will do.

Since not all humans are of equal quality and competence (in a baseball sense as well as in all other aspects), in any group of 750 ballplayers there will be some that are better and some that are worse; some that are a whole lot better (Stanton, Chapman), and some that are… heck, Burch Smith.

If the entire MLB population would be replaced with 750 new players overnight, there would be new stars tomorrow among those 750, as they have the best skill sets among their group. And I do believe that people would go see these stars (who also will have stories) just as well as the old ones, even though it would not be Stanton or Chapman anymore but somebody completely different. Just look at the near-riot that breaks out whenever some rookie hits six homers in his first ten games. You can be a "star" in a week in today's MLB.

Just like people don't matter one bit, names don't matter one bit, that is my firm belief. At best, team colors matter (which is also why the Marlins will never get anybody to pull for them with their biannual image change), because it serves our primeval instinct to stick to our band or tribe for protection and comfort.

Names matter the least of all. Fans would have rooted the living hell for Roberto Hernandez if he had still pitched like Fausto Carmona. Does anybody still remember that Giancarlo Stanton entered the league as Mike Stanton? Does anybody still care about that? If Trout or Judge or Harper would legally change their name to Elmo Fishbein tomorrow, would people not root for them anymore? I'd claim that Fishbein #99 jerseys would sell like hot dogs!

Look at all the players that died during their careers, be it MLB or any other sport.

When Dale Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500, a rookie Kevin Harvick sat in his (renumbered) car the next week at Rockingham. People gave the three-fingers salute for a year, Harvick held off Jeff Gordon to win in his third Winston Cup race at Atlanta, and a new star was born.

When Thurman Munson died, the Yankees had a new catcher behind the plate the next night, by necessity and because like anything else in life, baseball goes on.

Much of the Manchester United soccer team was wiped out in a 1958 plane crash in Munich. The team got themselves new players, and fans still pulled for them. Six years later they won their next championship.

People don't matter. Names don't matter. Any show worth watching will go on, and create new stars and stories by default.

(Disclaimer: Not all of this is a reply to the quote; this post gradually got out of hand)
I prefer to watch MLB with the best 750 players in the world. If we remove these players who have invested years honing their talent then whoever is left over, is second best. When I spend a couple of hundred dollars to go to a game I want to see players who I know and recognize. If I want to watch players I do not know and am not invested in then I will watch soccer.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
spartacus007
Minors (Triple A)

From the perspective of cold hard cash and analytics, sure, any person is replaceable. And that's true at any job. If you reduce humans to numbers in a database, we're all replaceable.

But OOTP doesn't have as many fans as Major League Baseball for a reason. People would rather watch humans and see their human stories, struggles and heroics than watch a simulation.

George Herman Ruth isn't the Babe because of his JAWS or his WinShare. He's a legend because of his called shot, because of his swagger and his grin, and because of his larger-than-life humanity.

Tell me Babe Ruth is replaceable.

Historical Mode:
OOTP 24 (Challenge Mode)
⚾ 1901-19 Reds: 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🏆🏆🏆🏆
FHM 10
🏒 1909-18 Wanderers: 🏆
🏒 1918-19: Arenas/St. Patricks: 🏆🏆
spartacus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #24
Reed
All Star Starter

Based on attendance since he retired, I guess the Babe was replaceable.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #25
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

The truth is people are upset not because he said players are replaceable. They are upset because he compared them to the beer vendors. Just like the truth is the majority of NFL players that knelt last year weren't upset about the treatment of minorities in the USA. They were mad the Prez called them S.O.B.'s. All this righteous indignation distracts from the context of the discussion. Any player that argues against what James said is going against a fact that has been proven 100% of the time. You might as well take issue with the weatherman predicting the sun will rise tomorrow.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The truth is people are upset not because he said players are replaceable. They are upset because he compared them to the beer vendors. Just like the truth is the majority of NFL players that knelt last year weren't upset about the treatment of minorities in the USA. They were mad the Prez called them S.O.B.'s. All this righteous indignation distracts from the context of the discussion. Any player that argues against what James said is going against a fact that has been proven 100% of the time. You might as well take issue with the weatherman predicting the sun will rise tomorrow.
Man, don't get this moved to OT.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote