Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Terminology nitpick: postponements, not cancellations. Postponed games are those which aren't played when scheduled but which will be played at a later date; cancelled games are those which weren't played as scheduled and which will NOT be played later. (MLB these days has few games cancelled.)
Correct, but I'm sure everyone got my meaning.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Ya we've had teams that are "north" for at least 120ish years (and maybe further back then that.....think Detroit had a team in the 1880s, and that's not exactly a tropical paradise in April). Aprils a bitch north of the 45, that's why Toronto and Seattle have domes (and why Minneapolis should have one....Target Field being open air baffles me).

SO ya, there's no weather problem. It's just April. One year you'll get snow. Another year it'll be 75F.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
The problem is playing so many early series in the north. Start the year in domes, Florida & Cali. You can't be shocked Chicago & Cleveland have freezing rain & wind before tax day. That was the norm before everyone started crying about the environment. Give the northern teams maybe 1 series out of the 1st 4 or 5 at home.
Most north teams did start in warmer climates. How many away games do you suggest we make them play before their opener? The cubs played three series away before playing a home game and are still having trouble getting games in.

Either way this weather is outlier. There usually isn’t a problem to this extent getting games played. If they weather trend continues the next few seasons then we have a bigger problem with climate change and may need to adjust.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #24
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Bright sides? I hear we have nominally three more off days this year, so we should have more dates to play makeup games at least...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #25
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
Most north teams did start in warmer climates. How many away games do you suggest we make them play before their opener? The cubs played three series away before playing a home game and are still having trouble getting games in.
I think I already mentioned playing 4 of their 1st 5 series on the road.

And I never suggested there was a way to avoid weather affecting games. I did suggest there was a way to hopefully minimize the affect. There will always be postponements. But common sense would say the risk is increased if you decide to play a bunch of games in Minneapolis in March. So why create for yourself the hassle?

"The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,
But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences."
- Proverbs 22:3
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #26
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And I never suggested there was a way to avoid weather affecting games. I did suggest there was a way to hopefully minimize the affect. There will always be postponements. But common sense would say the risk is increased if you decide to play a bunch of games in Minneapolis in March. So why create for yourself the hassle?

Sure, that’s all well and good. My point is that mlb schedule already tries to do this to some degree. The majority of the warm climate teams started the season at home. The ones that didn’t were playing other domed or warm climate teams. It’s not perfect though. The system doesn’t always work for out perfectly as “cold” teams don’t want to play entire month on the road for revenue and travel reasons. Also. You have to factor in the unbalanced schedule. The warm climate teams (and domes) are not evenly distributed around the divisions. Since, a number of “warm” teams mostly distributed all in a couple divisions, playing extended series in the first few weeks of the season in their ballparks is problematic. Playing a balanced schedule would make the scheduling work a bit better.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #27
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Maybe we should look at what we are doing to the environment that causes such extreme weather. The effect on the MLB schedule is inconsequential in the big picture.
Detroit Free Press: Detroit Tigers (and MLB) have a weather problem. Blame climate change?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #28
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

It's a USA Today article, so of course they are pushing their absurd agenda. The real data, such as that which LGO provided, doesn't fit their narrative. So they ignore it.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #29
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeg View Post
Correct, but I'm sure everyone got my meaning.
Even MLB itself used the wrong terminology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
It's a USA Today article, so of course they are pushing their absurd agenda. The real data, such as that which LGO provided, doesn't fit their narrative. So they ignore it.
Ah, a fellow news media cynic!

It's worse than that. Not only did the editors at USA Today apparently not review the article for any historical data which would have put the current season into context, neither did the editors at the Detroit Free Press, which republished the article without comment.

It's not as if the data is hard to find. Most of the seasons I presented I painstakingly researched myself years ago, but since then Retrosheet has updated its schedule file collection to include information on postponed and cancelled games. Here is the web page in question, which makes it easy for anyone to run the numbers for any season.

(Anyone who covers major league baseball who doesn't know about Retrosheet shouldn't be covering the sport, in my opinion.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:07 AM   #30
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... Retrosheet has updated its schedule file collection to include information on postponed and cancelled games. Here is the web page in question, which makes it easy for anyone to run the numbers for any season.
Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the file for the 1901 season. Below is the breakdown. Note that these data only compare games not played to the originally published schedule; it does not factor in cases where a postponed game rescheduled for another date was postponed on that make up date.

151 out of 1120 games were not played as originally scheduled (13.5%). Of those, 127 were due to weather (84.1%) and 24 for other reasons (15.9%).

Weather
Rain: 101
Wet grounds: 23
Cold: 3

Other Reasons
Schedule change (game moved to different date): 9
Funeral of President McKinley: 8
Schedule mix up: 2
Train delay (of one or both clubs): 2
Death of President McKinley: 1
Grand Army of the Republic parade: 1
Unknown: 1

22 of the 151 games not played were cancelled and not made up (14.6%).

The 127 weather-related games by month
April: 23
May: 44
June: 12
July: 11
August: 19
September: 18

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 04-20-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #31
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

That must have been some grim weather in May. Did it rain frogs and locusts?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #32
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
The problem is playing so many early series in the north. Start the year in domes, Florida & Cali. You can't be shocked Chicago & Cleveland have freezing rain & wind before tax day. That was the norm before everyone started crying about the environment. Give the northern teams maybe 1 series out of the 1st 4 or 5 at home.
Quote:

Why am I not surprised that the person who mocks those who care about the environment would post a bible quote.

I'm going to keep this as simple as possible. Making an MLB schedule is extremely difficult and complicated and it's safe to say that they're already doing everything they can to minimize the risk of "hassle." I can assure you that they've considered every solution you can come up with and, if they're not doing it, there's a reason they're not doing it.

Doesn't your book of fairy tales have a quote about assuming you know more than you really do?
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #33
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

doubleheaders are the obvious answer...and I just don't understand why MLB schedules games in the Northeast in the first weeks of April...it's categorically stupid. Schedule the first few weeks in the southern cities and in domes...

Of course the argument is that the home openers for the northern cities would be later for those clubs..

but in my opinion...start the season in late april and have each team play 10 doubleheaders per season...
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #34
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmuth View Post
doubleheaders are the obvious answer...
They aren't, because the players don't like either type of doubleheader. The owners don't like single-admission doubleheaders, but can accept separate admission (i.e. day-night) doubleheaders since they don't lose ticket revenue.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post
Why am I not surprised that the person who mocks those who care about the environment would post a bible quote.
Caring about the environment is not the same thing as believing in the myth that man has the power to alter it.

Mocking someone’s religion (“book of fairy tales”) is bigoted and intolerant.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #36
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Caring about the environment is not the same thing as believing in the myth that man has the power to alter it.
Humans have long had the power to alter the environment. Vast swaths of forest have been cut down for timber, for example, or cleared to make way for agriculture. Cities are typically a couple of degrees warmer than the area surrounding them. Fisheries in some locales have had to be shut down because of how efficient and industrialized fishing has become. Waste from our activities is an ongoing concern.

What's mind-bending to realize is that the entire population of the Earth could be contained within a relatively small geographic area, globally speaking, yet with everyone having plenty of living room and comfort, and the rest of the planet could be left to nature, if we were maximally efficient in how we set up our civilization. But of course that has the benefit of hindsight and hundreds of years of technological progress which our actual development did not afford us..
Old 04-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #37
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Humans have long had the power to alter the environment. Vast swaths of forest have been cut down for timber, for example, or cleared to make way for agriculture. Cities are typically a couple of degrees warmer than the area surrounding them. Fisheries in some locales have had to be shut down because of how efficient and industrialized fishing has become. Waste from our activities is an ongoing concern.
These are all temporary events that are like the blink of an eye in the history of this planet.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #38
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post

I'm going to keep this as simple as possible. Making an MLB schedule is extremely difficult and complicated and it's safe to say that they're already doing everything they can to minimize the risk of "hassle." I can assure you that they've considered every solution you can come up with and, if they're not doing it, there's a reason they're not doing it.

Doesn't your book of fairy tales have a quote about assuming you know more than you really do?

At what point did I mock anybody about the environment?

Here's another proverb for you.......

"A fool immediately shows his annoyance," - Proverbs 12:16

I'm a firm believer the environment is being ruined by mankind as a whole & there will be a reckoning.

"your own wrath came, and the appointed time came.......to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.” - Revelations 11:18

I'm personally disappointed there are posters here who easily dismiss the possibility humans are affecting the way the earth operates long term. I may not subscribe to the global warming theories. But I don't dismiss them either. I'm humble enough to know man can't possibly say for certain one way or the other. It's all speculation at this point. Not too mention the merits of global warming isn't the issue.

But to act like my quoting the Bible was mocking environmentalists is ridiculous.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 04-20-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #39
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm humble enough to know man can't possibly say for certain one way or the other.
I will agree with this. How about that for a compromise?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #40
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
These are all temporary events that are like the blink of an eye in the history of this planet.
Immaterial to the point: humans can, and have, an impact on the environment, be it on the local scale or the grander scale. Humans have, via direct action, wiped out entire species, for example. That's clearly having an impact on the environment.

Quote:
Mocking someone’s religion (“book of fairy tales”) is bigoted and intolerant.
I generally agree, with the proviso that making fun of each other for comedic or satirical purposes is entirely acceptable. As long as it applies to everyone; that is, any group can make fun of any other group.