Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Suggestions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 4 - Suggestions Do you have suggestions / ideas for future FHM version? Please tell us about it here.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

GUI needs to mirror OOTP more

the entire reason I bought the game is because of the connection to OOTP and that I like hockey

OOTP GUI is fantastic and well known to the community. I also would imagine code that is available to the developers.

it is frustrating to be searching everywhere in a GUI that is vaguely familiar but doesn't really work the same way.

bottom line I believe most users reaction to "this GUI is just like OOTP" would be overwhelmingly positive.

if the design decisions were based upon realities of coding I know nothing about then, well that is the way it goes.

If however they were a conscious decision to somehow need to be different I would suggest this is something worth rethinking. the game of hockey is so much different that we dont need the interface to be different just to enjoy the experience. familiar controls gets us to the fun part of playing much quicker and is worth considering

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I will say as I poke around I do see the similarities in many of the detail screens.

I think the biggest issue is the overall master controls where much of the same options are there and some are in a similar place but others are not at all. this ends up making the game much harder to navigate for those who are already very familiar with the OOTP setup

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I bet they're not allowed to use it. Fascinating to think that if it weren't for the SI years, OOTP still might look like this.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

We can use it if we want. We also use whatever feels right for the game.

FHM 1 used a very similar navigation like OOTP and the result was not really optimal. Hockey with all its leagues around the world + international teams and tournaments just did not click with the OOTP GUI that is centered around one major league.

I totally understand that someone who plays a lot of OOTP will need some time to get comfortable with the FHM GUI but in the end it works pretty good in my opinion.

Of course we always look for feedback to improve it. So if you have specific ideas that might work better or you have screens/info that is hard to reach (more then 1-2 clicks away) please let us know and we will look into it.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

I have to agree with the OP. The current GUI isn't the most user efficient compared to the baseball game but I'm sure it'll improve with time.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I have to agree with the OP. The current GUI isn't the most user efficient compared to the baseball game but I'm sure it'll improve with time.
It would be really helpful if you could give us some detailed examples what exactly is not efficient in FHM compared to OOTP so we can look into it.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
It would be really helpful if you could give us some detailed examples what exactly is not efficient in FHM compared to OOTP so we can look into it.

Thanks!

The few things that bothers me the most is that I have to dig deep and click a lot of links to see league specific transactions. I feel like a transaction link under the league section where front office, standings, etc are located could be beneficial.

Another is that I have to do more clicking to switch between leagues. It's tedious to switch NHL and CHL vs OOTP I can just switch from a drop down menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
The few things that bothers me the most is that I have to dig deep and click a lot of links to see league specific transactions. I feel like a transaction link under the league section where front office, standings, etc are located could be beneficial.
In FHM (from any screen in the game): league home screen -> Transactions (2 clicks)

In OOTP: open MLB menu -> open Logs -> Transactions (3 clicks)

I guess there is a faster way in OOTP that I don´t know?

I agree that a direct link would make sense in FHM but the menu is full.

Quote:
Another is that I have to do more clicking to switch between leagues. It's tedious to switch NHL and CHL vs OOTP I can just switch from a drop down menu.
When I change e.g. standings from NHL to CHL: open world menu -> select league (2 clicks)

In OOTP I open the league dropdown -> select league (2 clicks)

Again, maybe I do something wrong in OOTP and you can go faster but afaiks it is basically the same number of clicks to find what you want, or am I wrong?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
In FHM (from any screen in the game): league home screen -> Transactions (2 clicks)

In OOTP: open MLB menu -> open Logs -> Transactions (3 clicks)

I guess there is a faster way in OOTP that I don´t know?

I agree that a direct link would make sense in FHM but the menu is full.

When I change e.g. standings from NHL to CHL: open world menu -> select league (2 clicks)

In OOTP I open the league dropdown -> select league (2 clicks)

Again, maybe I do something wrong in OOTP and you can go faster but afaiks it is basically the same number of clicks to find what you want, or am I wrong?
I guess the difference is that OOTP doesn't feel like 3 clicks since everything is from the drop down menu. Before I knew where to find the transaction page, I had to dig for it and remember where it was at. I guess OOTP GUI is more streamlined.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
I guess the difference is that OOTP doesn't feel like 3 clicks since everything is from the drop down menu. Before I knew where to find the transaction page, I had to dig for it and remember where it was at. I guess OOTP GUI is more streamlined.
Not sure what to answer here. I guess you play OOTP for a long time so you now your way around. When I look something up in OOTP (my last OOTP I really played was OOTP 6.5, then I had no time anymore because I started to work with Markus ), it takes me ages to find it, in FHM I know where to look and usually everything is just 1-2 clicks away.

But we plan to do a bigger GUI overhaul next year, so any feedback is great!