Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Fictional cities and the cities.txt file

First off, thanks for the Customization Guide ( and the great Game Guide). I have a couple of questions.

1) I want to add some fictional cities to the cities.txt file. I remember reading about some spelling rules. St. Louis has to be Saint Louis, for example. Does that still apply? I see that hyphens are allowed. How about the apostrophe?

2) Are the latitude and longitude numbers only used for contract negotiations, as mentioned in the guide? Are they used anywhere else in the game (like setting up divisions, for example)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

You could also use St Louis for St. Louis (no period).

Apostrophes look ok. I have St John's in my league.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Thanks for your reply Thomasthomas.

albatross
Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone actually tried and confirmed that you cannot have a period in the city? Just curious. If you have, please contact me via PM. Same with apostrophes. I'll update the customization guide.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Steve -

I noticed in another thread that treedom added some "missing" Canadian cities. He has St. Catharines and Sault Ste. Marie in his list (both using the period). I don't know if he, or anyone else, has used it in a game yet.

Also, how important is the latitude and longitude? Is it used anywhere in the game other contract negotiations?

Thanks.

albatross

Last edited by albatross11; 06-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11
Also, how important is the latitude and longitude? Is it used anywhere in the game other contract negotiations?
Right now, only in contract neg. But possibly used for more in the future...
Old 06-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Right now, only in contract neg. But possibly used for more in the future...

Ok, thanks much.

albatross
Old 06-27-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Minor threadjack alert...

Regarding the latitude-longitude:

I have a completely fictional world that I'm trying to import into 2006 and I want to incorporate my cities file into cities.txt. Now, while I have a hand-drawn map of the world, I don't have anything approaching lat/long for any city in the 200 or so I have in my list.

The customization guide says they're required. But the amount of work it would take to actually decide on a world size and lat/long system doesn't excite me. What would the fine customization gurus suggest doing in this situation?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifspuds
Minor threadjack alert...

Regarding the latitude-longitude:

I have a completely fictional world that I'm trying to import into 2006 and I want to incorporate my cities file into cities.txt. Now, while I have a hand-drawn map of the world, I don't have anything approaching lat/long for any city in the 200 or so I have in my list.

The customization guide says they're required. But the amount of work it would take to actually decide on a world size and lat/long system doesn't excite me. What would the fine customization gurus suggest doing in this situation?
Make them all 0. That should work, and the only difference will be that your players will feel equally comfortable playing in any location.

Warning: I suggest you create a basic league with these settings and sim a bit, just to make sure nothing odd crops up, before you go about creating the league just as you want it. I've never actually tried this before.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Make them all 0. That should work, and the only difference will be that your players will feel equally comfortable playing in any location.

Warning: I suggest you create a basic league with these settings and sim a bit, just to make sure nothing odd crops up, before you go about creating the league just as you want it. I've never actually tried this before.
There seem to be quite a few cities in the default file that have no latitude or longitude. Just blank space....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
ifspuds
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, Steve and Questdog.

I'd noticed the cities with no lat/long, which was one of the questions I asked.

And believe me, I'm going to do a *lot* of simming before I continue on with the league import in any real capacity.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #12
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog
There seem to be quite a few cities in the default file that have no latitude or longitude. Just blank space....
Yep, that's the way they came from FM, and it would take a person a very long time on the Internet to track all of them down.

Want some url's to start?
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote