Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Roster Size/Limit Question

I am working on setting up my USBL game, which is a 30 team league. I have full minors (AAA, AA, A+, A, A-, R) and was wondering if someone could help me set up roster size/age limit/service time limits. I have searched the forum and have found various results. If anyone is willing to help me, you can either PM me here or find me on the OOTP discord channel (Klew1986). Thanks!
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

From this thread: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=270157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umeboshi View Post
I was inspired by this thread to look up the actual roster and service time limits for the various minor leagues … here they are:

Level AAA (International, Pacific Coast): 25 man active roster, no service time limit

Levels AA (Eastern, Southern, Texas): 25 man active roster, no service time limit

Level A Advanced (California, Carolina, Florida State): 25 man active roster, 6 years service time

Level A (Midwest, South Atlantic): 25 man active roster, 5 years service time

Level A Short-Season (New York-Penn, Northwest): 35 man active roster, 4 years service time

Rookie (Appalachian, Pioneer, Arizona, Gulf Coast): 35 man active roster, 3 years service time

Rookie (Venezuelan Summer, Dominican Summer): 35 man active roster, 4 years service time

Teams in the Mexican League (which is AAA level, but has only unaffiliated teams) have essentially 30-man active rosters and 5-man reserve rosters (for a total of 35 players). No service time limits AFAIK.

Sources:
FAQs: The Business of MiLB | MiLB.com Official Info | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball (generally)
FAQs: Minor Leagues On-the-field | MiLB.com Official Info | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball (for Mexican League)
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

The post above is a pretty good suggestion. I go with 26 at A-AAA just to allow a little more leeway with pitching injuries. I manage all roster moves in my entire organization, so if a team gets hit with a rash of injuries, the constant daily shuffle can get a bit cumbersome. Setting it at 26 allows a team to function one player short if a reliever gets a day-to-day injury for a few days.

I've also had success with age limits in addition to limits similar to those in the post above. Just keep in mind that your age limits are really one year higher than what you set. If you set a certain level to a limit of 21, any player who is 21 at (I believe) the start of preseason is eligible to play there all year, even if he turns 22 the next day. I would strongly suggest age limits at least in Rookie and low-A ball, as it will keep players moving up through the system. Otherwise you might have guys who are 24/25/26 in Rookie ball who will dominate against kids who are 17/18/19.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

actually service times IRL are one year less for each of these listed.

for example, AAA allows no more than 6 years...which in OOTP means 5 years plus however many days. so by setting a 6, you are saying no more than 7 years.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
actually service times IRL are one year less for each of these listed.

for example, AAA allows no more than 6 years...which in OOTP means 5 years plus however many days. so by setting a 6, you are saying no more than 7 years.
That's not correct. In real life, there are no service time restrictions at AA and AAA. And the limits from A down are not all hard limits. Low A, Short A and High Rookie allow for 2-3 active players whose service time exceeds the limit. OOTP does allow for those exceptions.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
I believe in OOTP that like in real life rehab assignments will ignore the roster limits if you have them. My question is will it also ignore Service time limits if you have them set?
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
I believe in OOTP that like in real life rehab assignments will ignore the roster limits if you have them. My question is will it also ignore Service time limits if you have them set?
Yes, rehabbing players do not count toward your roster and are not subject to roster limits. So a 35-year-old who has been in the big leagues for 10 years can rehab at any level.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Yes, rehabbing players do not count toward your roster and are not subject to roster limits. So a 35-year-old who has been in the big leagues for 10 years can rehab at any level.
Thanks. I never wanted to add service time limits because I thought it would block me from rehabbing players at that level. Now I can.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not correct. In real life, there are no service time restrictions at AA and AAA. And the limits from A down are not all hard limits. Low A, Short A and High Rookie allow for 2-3 active players whose service time exceeds the limit. OOTP does allow for those exceptions.
I know that you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying.

If you set A+ (which IRL says no more than 6 years) to a 6 in OOTP it really means no more than 7 years. If you want to replicate the actual rule (again, no more than 6 years) then you need to set it to 5 in OOTP. This is because it will be 5 plus XX amount of days, and OOTP won't recognize it until it hits 6.

Does this make sense?

I wasn't arguing what the actual limits are.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I know that you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying.

If you set A+ (which IRL says no more than 6 years) to a 6 in OOTP it really means no more than 7 years. If you want to replicate the actual rule (again, no more than 6 years) then you need to set it to 5 in OOTP. This is because it will be 5 plus XX amount of days, and OOTP won't recognize it until it hits 6.

Does this make sense?

I wasn't arguing what the actual limits are.
The post I was responding to was wrong. You said in real life that there's a limit of six years at AAA. That's not true.

I understand how OOTP limits work and never argued that if you want to mirror real life, you have to set OOTP limits to one less.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #11
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The post I was responding to was wrong. You said in real life that there's a limit of six years at AAA. That's not true.

I understand how OOTP limits work and never argued that if you want to mirror real life, you have to set OOTP limits to one less.
I must have meant A+

A+...no more than 6
A....no more than 5
A-....no more than 4
R....no more than 3
DSL....no more than 4