Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #221
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Bucks need to get Giannis an upgrade in teammate. He and the rest of the team shrinks when the pressure gets highest. They were on fire in the 1st period. But M.I.A. in the 4th.

Kahwi meanwhile showed what a superstar should do. He found a way to be extra. And van Fleet somehow borrowed something from Steph Curry's aura.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 AM   #222
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Giannis charging into 3-4 Raptors will be an enduring sight for me of this series.
He is still an incomplete player. If he is shoot 35% from three, 75% from the line and become a more accurate passer then his teams will become almost unstoppable.

I don’t see the Finals being all that interesting. Golden State has the weird narrative of being the underdog and is playing unreal at the moment.

I think they win in five.

I also think we have already seen the last game of Durant in a Warriors uniform.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #223
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Golden State, au contraire, are the heavy favorites to beat the Raptors and a 1 point fave for the opener in Toronto. If I were a gambling man, I'd sure as f*ck take that bet. If the Raptors play as well against Golden State as they did against the NBA's best team, why the hell wouldn't they win the title. Still, maintaining that level of performance is never a given. That's why they play the games. But, the idea that these Warriors are as great as ever is, IMO, a silly notion.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #224
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Rated by SRS, the Finals are a matchup of the 2nd (Warriors) and 3rd (Raptors) best teams in the NBA, but Toronto have home advantage and the best player (Kawhi). The Raptors should feel good about their chances. I hope they play magnificently and destroy the illusion that Golden State are still a powerhouse.

Last edited by darkhorse; 05-27-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: raptors
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #225
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

I hope we get KD/Kawhi in the finals, but he's not available until Game 3. oh well

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #226
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I love Toronto. It's a wonderfully diverse and welcoming city. But I don't think the Raptors have a chance. They have some great players, but I don't think any team that does not have LeBron James in his prime can beat today's Golden State Warriors.

All dynasties come to an end, but I don't see the Warriors' dynasty coming to an end in 2019.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #227
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

IMO, it's not that difficult to beat a team (Golden State) with mediocre defense (13th) in the playoffs where that plays an even more powerful factor in success.

Last edited by darkhorse; 05-27-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: factors
Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #228
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
IMO, it's not that difficult to beat a team (Golden State) with mediocre defense (13th) in the playoffs where that factor is even more powerful a factor for success.
I haven't followed basketball very closely for a couple years now but it's my understanding from people I know that Golden State essentially coasted the regular season knowing they'd make the postseason. At the least, I wouldn't trust regular season statistics for a team that has been this good for this long over this long of a season, they're bound to take their foot off the gas in situations that don't mean that much. Considering all the in-depth youtube videos I've seen pop up about the brilliance of Golden State's rotation defense in the postseason and their ability to hide Steph on defense I figure they'll hold up just fine. Those first games without KD will be tough but once he comes back I don't see Toronto beating them.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #229
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

I'd find it fanciful to think throwing out an 82 game sample of performance is reasonable. The Warriors haven't played like a dominant team in the regular season since 2017 because they are unable to rather than they don't want to. Last year against Houston (the best team in the NBA) they won because of Paul's game 5 injury and took the Finals because Cleveland were a joke (14th best team in the NBA). This year their path to the finals has been against the Clippers (21st on defense), Houston (ranked 17th on defense), and Portland (16th on D). This Warriors team is past its peak, doesn't play high quality D anymore, and its recent playoff success has been aided by matchups and luck. That's why I'm certain that it's possible that Toronto (5th on defense) could have the "experts" scratching their heads wondering what happened. I'd definitely have favored Milwaukee over Golden State with their brilliant, league best defense. The worm may be turning with the East having a run of humiliating the West. This Final could be a great and f*cking delicious start to that trend.

Last edited by darkhorse; 05-27-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #230
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I remember one year in the 80's, the Lakers looked vulnerable. After dominating the west for so many years, they barely won home court advantage. So it was expected LA would struggle a bit. I think they ended up sweeping all 3 series in the west. And I think it was the Suns who they beat in the WCF. They asked Tom Chambers why was it that none of the west could give the Lakers a fight after it seemed like they were weakening. And he said if you were in the finals every year, how much effort and desire are you going to muster up for a regular season game?

That's where GS is. Particularly since they won 73 one year but lost the trophy. It is hard to get up for every game in an 82 game season when you know what a grind it is after Tax Day.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 05-27-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #231
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

And, that Lakers team was swept 4-0 by the Pistons in the Finals.

Every team has that predicament since they're all playing an 82 game schedule with tons of travel.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #232
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And, that Lakers team was swept 4-0 by the Pistons in the Finals.

Every team has that predicament since they're all playing an 82 game schedule with tons of travel.
1. That's not proof that the Lakers then & the Warriors now haven't been using the regular season as a lengthy preseason.

2. No, every team doesn't have the luxury of having played so many games in June that games before the all star break seem meaningless. Warriors last half decade have had 500+ games. The majority of the league has played a full regular season less.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #233
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Right, tough minded; elite athletes just turn it off and on mentally and find that the optimal strategy for playing at the highest level, garnering the largest contracts, and winning championships. That is also a fanciful notion, IMO.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #234
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right, tough minded; elite athletes just turn it off and on mentally and find that the optimal strategy for playing at the highest level, garnering the largest contracts, and winning championships. That is also a fanciful notion, IMO.
Not saying it is a positive or negative. I'm saying it is the natural order of things. Very few players can turn it up 100% for a whole season, let alone a whole franchise. The less sense of urgency, the less effort usually is put out. If you've never made the playoffs, you count games before Xmas as important. If you've lost in the playoffs, you make home court advantage a priority. When you've lost/won titles you get juiced up for only the most important matches.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #235
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
When you've lost/won titles you get juiced up for only the most important matches.
If that were true, you'd get your ass handed to you on a regular basis. This is not college or high school where the difference in talent between the best and worst is immense. And teams at lower levels still lose when they come out flat against teams they expect to roll over. This notion doesn't pass the smell test for me.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #236
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If that were true, you'd get your ass handed to you on a regular basis. This is not college or high school where the difference in talent between the best and worst is immense. And teams at lower levels still lose when they come out flat against teams they expect to roll over. This notion doesn't pass the smell test for me.
Your opinion. I find it naive to think imperfect human beings are capable of going at it 100% at anything. Everyone coasts at their job every once in a while.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #237
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Ehh, you were proposing that teams take off the regular season as it isn't important.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #238
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ehh, you were proposing that teams take off the regular season as it isn't important.
No I didn't. That was you reading the fine print that didn't exist.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #239
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. That's not proof that the Lakers then & the Warriors now haven't been using the regular season as a lengthy preseason.
Quote:
No I didn't. That was you reading the fine print that didn't exist.
I would walk back that idea as well.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM   #240
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would walk back that idea as well.
Feel free to point out where I advocated they not take it as important.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance