Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
PapaDeChanga
Bat Boy

Help building an organization

So I've played OOTP for a little bit and have a decent understanding of the basic mechanics. I've been struggling to find a good plan on building a team. I've followed a few helpful guides posted here of yearly tasks, ratings to look for, and understand that ideally you want to have a pipeline of players to replace ones running out of arbitration years.

However I always get tripped up after a season or two by mismanaging players' contracts/option years, running into prospect bottlenecks at positions, adjusting to unforseen events like long term injuries or a prospect flaming out. Looking for some help on how y'all manage the organization from a big picture.

What do you do when you first start? How do you manage on an ongoing basis?

Thanks in advance!
PapaDeChanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDeChanga View Post
So I've played OOTP for a little bit and have a decent understanding of the basic mechanics. I've been struggling to find a good plan on building a team. I've followed a few helpful guides posted here of yearly tasks, ratings to look for, and understand that ideally you want to have a pipeline of players to replace ones running out of arbitration years.

However I always get tripped up after a season or two by mismanaging players' contracts/option years, running into prospect bottlenecks at positions, adjusting to unforseen events like long term injuries or a prospect flaming out. Looking for some help on how y'all manage the organization from a big picture.

What do you do when you first start? How do you manage on an ongoing basis?

Thanks in advance!
Now that is a subject that I could talk all day about. I guess it depends on what level of crazy you are. Tell me a little about your game setup and what all you control yourself

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
How are you mismanaging contracts and option years?
Don't do that
Which probably sounds like a glib comment, but it's not
The first step in solving a problem is identifying it

Prospect bottlenecks - switch positions or trade

Adjusting for unforeseen events - that's the challenge of the game
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

As has been alluded to already, prospect bottlenecks can be seen as a problem or an opportunity. Don't be afraid to trade from a strength to address a weakness.
Now, obviously, this is prospects we are talking about so there is risk you trade away the wrong one (who becomes a star, or at least a solid starter, for another team) and the one(s) you keep flame out. That's baseball.

The other thing I would emphasize (also alluded to above) is positional flexibility/roster depth. Have a bottleneck at shortstop (a good thing to have), can one of them be taught to play second or third, or maybe even left field if they have adequate outfield ratings (not talking experience, but underlying range/error/arm ratings)? Even players who might likely be starters at a position once they reach the majors become more valuable if they can play at least one other position as well. And it helps to protect your team, if you have plenty of players with positional flexibility, when those big injuries strike. Or when someone you were counting on becomes a dud.

One of my favorite ways to draft and develop is to find that slick fielding infielder who has the basic skills to play at least three infield position (with first base being the least important, of course), at least above average speed, and some contact hitting potential. Even though the AI does perhaps over-value speed and defense, in my experience there are usually quite a lot of these type players in the draft (I play fictional) and their overall/potential ratings are low enough that they can be had between say the 8th and 14th rounds (this varies by draft, of course.) Look for a guy like this with high intelligence, strong work ethic, and good adaptability (or at least 2 of these), and if he already has some experience at multiple positions all the better. You've got yourself a potential super-sub who can not only be a late-inning defensive replacement/pinch-runner but when one of those inevitable injuries comes to your starting second baseman/shortstop/third baseman you should have someone who can step in an provide adequate coverage until the starter returns.
(In case you ever check out my fictional league linked below in my signature here, Joe Willemse is the prime example of this. He's been a great defensive backup for my team and in the current season, with our star starting second baseman out for about for an extended period, he has stepped in to start at that position and played admirably. I drafted him exactly for this kind of role, knowing that he would likely never be a valuable starter but not needing him to ever rise to that level to be a value to the team.)

Ah, and one last thing for now. There should come a point in any season (say, late May to mid-June generally) when there are still some veteran big league players of at least slightly better than replacement level ability sitting unsigned as free agents. Try to sign some of these guys to minor league contracts (you might have to offer them a signing bonus to lure them into signing a minor league deal) and store them at AAA for a rainy day, i.e., as injury replacements.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
PapaDeChanga
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Now that is a subject that I could talk all day about. I guess it depends on what level of crazy you are. Tell me a little about your game setup and what all you control yourself
So I like to do a league with fictional players and 5 levels of minors. I usually run it for a few seasons and takeover a team who fires their GM.

I think I need help on staying organized with my prospect pipeline, contracts/option years remaining on my active roster.

How many prospects should I keep at each level and each position?

When do you decide to extend a player beyond their arbitration? Should you only do this if you think you are going to be contending soon?

Appreciate all the help!
Old 02-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Some things I do that may help you.

1. Play to the strengths of your Park. Hitters park, pitchers park and so on. I do this a lot and I think it is overlooked. I have played in Petco Park a lot and modeled my parks off them. Great pitchers park and wide open spaces for speed and contact.

2. Don't draft, trade for, or sign anyone that is fragile.

3. Don't draft, trade for, or sign anyone that is a clubhouse cancer poor leader.

4. Catchers are so hard to find that I usually go all defense on that position.

5. Sign all international stars(If you have them) to minor league deals as much as possible.

6. Draft pitchers 80% of the time. A great pitching prospect is worth a lot in a trade.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Some things I do that may help you.

1. Play to the strengths of your Park. Hitters park, pitchers park and so on. I do this a lot and I think it is overlooked. I have played in Petco Park a lot and modeled my parks off them. Great pitchers park and wide open spaces for speed and contact.

2. Don't draft, trade for, or sign anyone that is fragile.

3. Don't draft, trade for, or sign anyone that is a clubhouse cancer poor leader.

4. Catchers are so hard to find that I usually go all defense on that position.

5. Sign all international stars(If you have them) to minor league deals as much as possible.

6. Draft pitchers 80% of the time. A great pitching prospect is worth a lot in a trade.
100% on #5. International FA's both 16 year olds and 27 year olds are the key to making your window go from five or seven years to twenty. They're a god damn cheat code if your scout does it well.
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

When on the fence about which prospect to draft, or which to add to a trade to even it out, I generally opt to select or keep a pitcher. Doing that alone should help ease some of the bottleneck issues

Also, you should define what a bottleneck is for you. Having 3 SS at AA isn't a big deal if one is a blue chipper, another can play 2B or 3B and the third projects as a bench player at best

As has been suggested by others, moving prospects around to add positional versatility helps also

As far as extending beyond arbitration, that's always going to be relative. How good are they, what are their contract demands, do you have a prospect ready to come up and step in, what does the pending FA class look like at that position, what's your team's salary position at this year and in the next 1-2 years, have other better players needing to be locked up, etc.....

Have a 27 year old, 6 WAR CF without any high potential CF prospects at the upper levels of your farm? Probably worth keeping him around

Have a 30 year old, WAR 3B with a high profile prospect you kept down in AAA to save a year in service time? Probably worth letting him walk then

It's not always going to be so cut and dry, but it's generally not going to be a different mindset in approaching each situation. It's seeing what they're asking for, what you think they'll produce and gauging that against your alternatives

Not sure how you can constantly screw up player/club options, so examples would help? If you mean you exercised a club option on a player recently and they had a bad year, then that's different from having constant issues with them. If you do have constant issues with player options, then that seems more of an issue with offering contracts that are too long (or with not accepting the cost of a long term contract .... the Yanks don't expect Cole to be worth $35M at the end of his contract, but they do expect him to be worth it at the beginning of the contract, it's a trade off for them, or at least they hope so)

If you have a constant issue with club options, then it seems more of an issue that's similar to extending arb players, just mis-evaluating the player's worth. Just cause you have a club option doesn't mean you have to exercise it. Every situation is different. I doubt the player's virtual family will starve if you let them hit free agency

Pay for current &/or future production, not past production. Also, practice & experience will help you in learning what to look for and what doesn't work. There's no shame in losing for a few seasons and then restarting when you feel you have a better grasp of OOTP, or in just continuing on and fixing the team you're with, or both
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I like to do a league with fictional players and 5 levels of minors. I usually run it for a few seasons and takeover a team who fires their GM.

I think I need help on staying organized with my prospect pipeline, contracts/option years remaining on my active roster.

How many prospects should I keep at each level and each position?

When do you decide to extend a player beyond their arbitration? Should you only do this if you think you are going to be contending soon?

Appreciate all the help!
A key component to my question was what level of crazy are you, lol. I am a micromanager to the extreme. I have spreadsheets for every minor league level and I control everything to include lineups for my minors.

The best advice I can give is to organize your system from the bottom up. Move every player from the lowest league up a level that is ready. If you still have more than 25-30 players, cut the fat. Then go up a level and do the same all the way to the top.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay much attention to having a certain number of prospects at a position. Just make sure you don't have any weaknesses at any position at any level. For example, if you have a crap CF at AA, look to A to fill the weakness or if he's not ready, then you know what you should acquire in a trade/draft.

Treat each minor league team with the care and consideration that you would you major league team. In my opinion, that is how you achieve complete immersion. Knowing your system inside and out and focusing on every level equally.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #10
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Draft a lot of SP and CF prospects. Don't draft 1B prospects.

SPs are great trade material if you get too many. CFs lose fielding ability quickly. And you'll usually have veteran good offensive players losing their ability to play 3B, LF, RF etc who you can only keep for their offense if you move them to 1B (or DH, if you play with that overdue to be ended experiment).
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:41 AM   #11
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
A key component to my question was what level of crazy are you, lol. I am a micromanager to the extreme. I have spreadsheets for every minor league level and I control everything to include lineups for my minors.

The best advice I can give is to organize your system from the bottom up. Move every player from the lowest league up a level that is ready. If you still have more than 25-30 players, cut the fat. Then go up a level and do the same all the way to the top.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay much attention to having a certain number of prospects at a position. Just make sure you don't have any weaknesses at any position at any level. For example, if you have a crap CF at AA, look to A to fill the weakness or if he's not ready, then you know what you should acquire in a trade/draft.

Treat each minor league team with the care and consideration that you would you major league team. In my opinion, that is how you achieve complete immersion. Knowing your system inside and out and focusing on every level equally.
I agree with this. But you dont have to focus so intently on minors if you dont wantto. Just make sure you are moving players up a level every year (high rated prospects promote quicker if they are performing), and keep cutting/trading the excess players and use the trades to fill gaps.

Players you cannot trade do not be afraid to cut them.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #12
blink
Minors (Triple A)

I'm relatively new to the game but here is what I have been trying to do. I'm only halfway through my first year rebuilding the Mariners.

1) Build up organizational depth
2) Scour independent leagues for talent
3) Build up farm system
4) Trade one-dimensional players i.e. players that can only play one position
5) Trade/sign players who can play multiple positions. This gives me some flexibility when injuries hit.
6) Explore trading players with expiring contracts that I'm not planning on bringing back.
7) Sign free agents to contracts that make sense.
8) Make sure prospects in minors are playing at levels that they can succeed at.
9) With the trade deadline approaching I'm trying to dump some players but also looking to maybe pick up a rich contract from a desperate team and attach a prospect to it.
10) Draft - I managed to sign most of my picks. I found all the guys listed as impossible did not sign. I also steered clear of players who were fragile or poor work ethic.
11) International FA is coming up. I'm planning on making a big splash there hopefully
12) Making a concerted effort to build from the middle out. By this I mean trying to acquire C, 2B, SS, CF types who can also play other spots. If an OF or IF can only play one position, he does not qualify as a guy I'd really want.

My owner wants me to play .500 ball but it's unrealistic given the roster I currently have. The trades I've made have been trading positions of strength for positions that I need to upgrade.

At this point, I'm trying to accumulate as much young talent at possible and then sort it out next year as to who will play where. The more talent I can accumulate the more options I have combating injuries and poor performance.

My MLB roster isn't good but my farm system is much better than where it was at the start of the offseason. We had zero top 100 prospects at beginning of offseason and now I have 3 with a bunch of other young prospects looking to make an impact hopefully.

I made a list of guys I'd like to build around and guys who are expendable. I find this helps me figure out who to keep and who to move.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #13
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Your number 4/5 are great great points. I do the same as well.

Last edited by AirmenSmith; 02-04-2020 at 06:00 PM.
AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

a lot of what you mention you can see coming ahead of time. i avoid options, they just create problems more than they solve. same with backloading contracts. i frontload, backload or even it out relative to what my next few years will benefit from.

in general, if the contract is worth the same yearly value, it'll still be good to go. possibly if it's extreme or abusive in nature, you might encounter something. i wouldn't know about going that far.

use the Salaries tab in Front Office. it shows the next 10 years worth of contracts all at once. the sorting isn't so hot, but you can see when adding money is just going to exacerbate an already impending problem. you can see when you need a competent mlb-level position player or SP/RP etc.

draft as well as you can based on talent, not need. be realistic... you have no accuracy or precision with draft eligible players. figure out 'tiers' of quality you consider within that room for error, so position will sometimes be important, even though the adage is mostly true: talent>need. fwiw, the top tier should be much, much smaller range than lower tiers. once you get to ubiquitous choices, go by minor league needs as postive TCR changes will be random as the name says, as will scouting inaccuracies.

that will inevitably cause strengths and weaknesses in completely random way. supplement that with trades and FA spending on positions of weakness. if you know your team will be crap for a few years, don't spend wastefully on players that won't be relevant when you are good.

financial management is huge. assuming you evaluate players values well, managing your money is a very large poriton of what is left. don't focus on 1 year beyond what sanity demands. (i.e. nothing like RL that has a singular, one-year focus at all times - the rare organization that has a long-term approach tend to do better. patriots are an example when sports writers act all befuddled when they don't resign someone or trade them, even though doing so would cause financial ruin within 1-3 years and therefore no chance of a super bowl for many years for virtually nothing gained)

you should never have money problems, or at least not for longer than 1 year due to something causing massive loss of budget in 1 year when the team is actually still getting better - like catastrophic number and length of injuries. know your risks... stay within what you observed before. the game will act in the same way.

think of all the problems it causes when you cut it too close or spend too much. it delays everything by a year, if not years. that 1 expensive player who was useful for a short period of time may not have been worth it due to the opportunity costs it causes later on. 1 slightly improved try at a WS vs. another 2-3+ of nearly the same, if not better in future.

unless you change certain settings, you should avoid depending upon 30+ year old players. some positions are safe for a few more years. catchers age quickly all over and twice on sunday. unless you want to maximize some favorite C's career, have a constant cycle of younger guys ready, lol. the fast speedy guys at cf/ss sometimes lose their speed/defense before 30. RP can pitch a long time. SP can break down by 30-32. if you know these things, don't spend large portions of your budget on them.

know your risks relative to your settings. go ahead and gamble, but don't make it a focal point of your team's success.

never say never, but if 3+/5ths of your SP rotation is ~35, i bet half the time you don't have a great outcome or if you do it's for 1-2 years and you are stuck with 50-80M/year for the rest of their likely long-term contract

i know i said don't waste money, but recognize dead money is a waste. you can overpsend and shorten contracts for the fill-in types or slightly better quality. Try to spend your yearly budget fully, but not in a way that damages the future. Always spend 5M on IAFA, for example. You'll also want a small cushion most years. spending 5M on IAFA and other later expenses can most often eat into this cushion, since there's not much you can do that late in the season.

midseason trades are almost always more expensive than normal. you should think ahead and avoid such a need. only in cases of large budget space for the duration of the potential contract addition should you bother. it's not impossible, but most of the time you are spending more for no reason other than a failure to plan ahead.

regardless of how you do things... there's a rate of player procurement you will achieve. obviously, you can improve, too. but, find/understand that rate, and make sure you supplement with FA in proper proportions. If it can't be 100% consistent, then you try to build prospects up while you have a few losing years, then switch into gear of spending on FA. be willing to have 1 year with a platoon or worse to avoid mortgaging the future for virtually nothing beneficial. never reach... if it isn't there, be willing to not overspend on the next best thing for any term you can't get rid of via trade easily.

if you are encounteringn problems, be a bit more conservative. if you aren't reaching your budget most years, be a bit more aggressive. you'll find a happy medium that maximizes without damaging future years. only with a very small market would you want to ebb and flow to win more WS.

in most cases, your budget should be large enough to consistently field high quality teams. if you can spend 150+M on salaries, you should be able to maintain that level of success that allows for that kind of payroll nearly every year and you will make the playoffs or at least have a team capable of it every year.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-04-2020 at 08:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

In terms of drafting and trading for prospects, I tend to focus on SP, middle infielders and center fielders. Starters that turn out to be mediocre or worse can sometimes be converted to usable relievers. Middle infielders, especially shortstops are usually able to be trained to at least adequately also play the corner infield positions. Center fielders can always be converted to corner outfielders. Keep these things in mind when you see logjams or weaknesses too. If you have too many middle infielders but are lacking third basemen then it is worth seeing if you have guys who are weighted towards having a strong arm but not as strong at the "turn dp" rating, especially if they have some power. Same with moving center fielders to right field. Look for guys with strong arms but maybe their range isn't quite what you'd want for a center fielder. If they can also produce power, even better.

Also, as a worst case scenario, a prospect will develop as if he is playing, while sitting on a MLB bench which is not true if sitting on a minor league bench. So sometimes better to save a little money and use a guy that is still a year or two away from being a starter at the ML level as a bench guy and also free up a spot in your minors. It does bring arbitration quicker though so there are trade-offs.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #16
PapaDeChanga
Bat Boy

Thanks for the awesome advice everyone. This game is supported by a truly awesome community. Hopefully I can use these tips to bring a virtual world series title to Cincinnati as im not sure how much longer I'll have to wait for a real one.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Another tip I'd recommend is finding a utility player than can play seven or eight positions. They've often became my favorite player and they help me pay more attention to matchups. For example, I had a player who I tried to get 1000 innings at each position. Only way I could do this was by having Adderall fueled attention to matchups, substitutions, lineup structure, etc..

Players like this really keep you from getting in a "lets sim this season in two hours" mindset.

Here is a screenshot of his fielding history. https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/commen...about_my_ootp/
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #18
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

2 hours? if i don't have many injuries it's done far quicker

my bench is speedy, steal-y, multi-defensive position players. my injury replacements from AAA more often fill the everyday role than my bench players. if i don't have a worthy prospect, that's not the case, obviously.

but, i'll go with a high-potential AAA guy over a bench player that's currently rated better in all but dire circumstances relative to making playoffs.

the development and time in the MLB is priceless. it improves scouting accuracy. it improves development speed (relative to that player and all the RNG sorrounding that hornets nest of a concept).

i want my good prospects i intend to use in MLB getting experience this way. it allows me to get them MLB experience without using 1 year of service time nor depending on them for anything important. a replacement is never going to be any good, and if it is, why are you wasting 10s of millions on a bench player? lol.... you get the idea.

not that you have to worry in ootp, but i don't ever get a player complaint about bringing them to the MLB 1 day after they can get a full year's service and tehy are absolutely killing it in AAA for 1.5 years before that.

how did kris bryant lose that? it's clearly made to scr%w players over like him, and the system created to help protect players from that outcome is toothless and a sham. i don't care one bit for bryant, either. it matters that it happens to everyone in his context not any one individual. poorly made system on purpose. this is why the owners will always have an advantage at the bargaining table... these types of antics are endless... you can spend all your leverage preventingn them from doing things that were developed specifically for this reason - fodder to waste effort and negotiating currency upon... lol, then you never have to give up anything important on the bargaining table, because you just keep creating more nonsense they have to fight to stop. their imagination is the only limit.

i'm definitely on the bandwagon to favor SP prospects. as far as CF, SS and catcher, it takes less offense to be a tradeable asset than other positions, but there is a limit to how much the position will help. It's easier to trade SPs. what other position does the team have five starters? argueably, it's not "5" relative to all SP trades... tiers of quality/costs and such, but you still need more SP than any other position. (RP don't count. they are 1/3rd-1/4th the value of an SP.)

power batters with high contact/SP at top of draft, best available after that, but SP are likely the best availble, even if ratingns say otherwise, up until the end of 2nd to ~5th round depending on depth of draft. few batters have significant usable power after the first ~10 picks.

i have been known to reach for a killer closer at bottom of first round, too. better be mariano rivera incarnate, though.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-08-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #19
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

-Don't forget to train up those prospects log jams into other positions.
-Don't forget to check the player's level of competition and personality traits when drafting. There's always a few gems that have pretty good numbers in 'good' or 'great' competition. It's in their player bio.

I know draft pick trading isn't realistic but it helps me nudge a lot of trades in my favor when I need it to compensate for the derp AI GMs

Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you don't abuse it, there's no reason not to use it if you like it. when you end up with the first 5 picks in each draft, that's what people speak negatively about. even then, if you like it, do it.. lol.. no wrong way to play even if it conflicts with others' ideas.

what you described is reasonable to all but the insane.