Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #101
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

I fully agree with the OP and this has been something that has irked me about the in-game stuff for awhile. Bullpen management should be part of the game but pitchers throwing until they are gassed is just not realistic.

I think the solution is simple too. Pitchers warm up till they are ready and will stay ready. The catch is that it's treated like a semi-appearance when it comes to fatigue in future games. So if you warm up a pitcher for a Tuesday game who was at 100% and isn't used, perhaps he's only at 90% for the Wednesday game.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #102
texasmame
All Star Starter

Still not addressed.

SAD!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #103
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Still not addressed.

SAD!
And probably won't be until a future version
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #104
texasmame
All Star Starter

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...0&postcount=41

Diamond Mind seems to have it as right as you can get it, especially the part about warming a guy up too many times which is really about the only way a reliever should really get tired without coming in to a game.

See, this ain't rocket surgery, folks.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #105
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I'm still failing to understand why people think that the system that we have is all that much different than the others listed. The only real difference from those other games is that we don't have the notion of having a cost to future games for warming up a guy too many times in one game. Otherwise, we seem to be a mix of the others. (FYI, as far as I know, Strat has no warmup options).

I think what people keep forgetting, that I know I've mentioned many many times on here, is that just because a pitcher in your bullpen is listed as "tiring", it doesn't mean that he's tired. Basically, it works like the description for action PC, where it limits how many pitches he can throw in the game. So it's not like there's a magic point where suddenly you warm up a guy for too much and he can't pitch anymore. But don't expect to leave a guy warming up for a few innings in the pen and still have him come in and give you 3-4 innings in relief.

Anyways, there's a few changes in the upcoming patch which should help make it easier to manage.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #106
kenman
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Well, if you leave them there, they know to stop throwing when they've had enough to get warm. You see that all the time.

Maybe a "itchy" status would be appropriate if you leave them up too long (1.5 innings?) - then when you bring them in, they may or may not perform well. I stole that from the great "Baseball for Windows."
Wish the would have kept updating "Baseball for Windows.". When it forst came out it was the best on the market.
kenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #107
Buchs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's not a big deal, but I think that somebody you warm up goes cold too fast. I have have so many times when I warm a guy up and then sit him when it starts showing tiring, then I need to put him in and he is cold. I do think making the Bullpen visible from the main page would solve most of my issues at least.
Buchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #108
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

FWIW, "itchy" in Baseball for Windows was when a player had not played in a while. Not necessarily when he was overworked or getting tired in the bullpen. That said, the new bullpen widget is an awesome add. Quit complaining and shut off warmup rule if you can't manage it well enough. I play out every game in a 10 team league and have been for a decade+ now, I don't have any problems or complaints and be thankful for what we have because there is not a better alternative.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #109
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
FWIW, "itchy" in Baseball for Windows was when a player had not played in a while. Not necessarily when he was overworked or getting tired in the bullpen. That said, the new bullpen widget is an awesome add. Quit complaining and shut off warmup rule if you can't manage it well enough. I play out every game in a 10 team league and have been for a decade+ now, I don't have any problems or complaints and be thankful for what we have because there is not a better alternative.
Yes, besides the great Ernie play-by-play, "itchy" was probably my favorite feature in BBW.

When you didn't use a player in a few games, they became "itchy" and they may perform poorly or great when you first use them. It forced you to keep your whole roster involved to avoid them getting bored (itchy).

Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #110
texasmame
All Star Starter

The bullpen widget is a big help. Love the diving plays, especially on the infield.

Well done, all!

Now, about moving those player tags in 3D mode. . .

Old 10-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #111
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
In real life, if you get a pitcher up, you should plan to bring him in. If you decide not to bring him in, then you should sit him down and then get him back up when you're ready to use him.

If pitchers in the pen never got tired, then you could do like in the past and get a pitcher up and ready in the 5th inning, keep him up until you need him in the 7th, and he'd be in perfect shape. Heck, you could start a guy warming in the 1st without any detrimental effect.

And anyways, just because a guy warming up switches to "tiring", it's not like he immediately loses all effectiveness. Keeping a guy "tiring" for a couple batters is probably not going to noticeably affect him at all. If you keep him warming up for an inning without using him, then yeah, that would have an effect, but I'm pretty sure that that would also be the case in real life, and that's why guys will start sitting down as soon as they know they're not coming in soon.

Basically, if you like the strategy of deciding when to get a guy warming up to get ready to come in, the strategy of making sure that he's not in the pen for too long is basically no different.
I love the strategy of bullpen management, but as far as I am concerned, if the AI isn’t participating in the same exercise, the feature is pretty useless.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #112
curt
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I love the strategy of bullpen management, but as far as I am concerned, if the AI isn’t participating in the same exercise, the feature is pretty useless.
I have a great imagination. I pretend the AI is participating
curt is offline   Reply With Quote