Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #21
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistus View Post
*** is AAAA level, so since the worst MLB pitchers are still only average AAA level pitchers who get called up for depth, he has faced the "worst" MLB pitcher so to speak.

That said, he came into the *** as an 18 yr old who could touch 100 on his fast ball and hit for power. Put the best kid drafted this year and toss him into the International League and he's not going to do very well. His future is likely on the mound, as his bat doesn't get the reps to get much better, and he won't walk enough counter his high K numbers once he moves to MLB imo, but should his pitches continue to develop, this kid is absolutely no joke. He's virtually unhittable already, he's putting up silly numbers. Just translate his numbers to your favourite AAA prospect, realize that he's only 22, and you get the idea.
I don't disagree with any of that. But your local independent insurance agencies are loaded with guys who have done the same. Hell, Kris Johnson was the second coming of Sandy Koufax in that league. My disagreement is with the selective pushing of certain, shall we say, marketable, players in OOTP.

But hey, that's why I commissioner mode moved him to Rocco Typewriter Maintenance. To each his own.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #22
frangipard
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
My disagreement is with the selective pushing of certain, shall we say, marketable, players in OOTP.
The roster ratings for players are based either on objective ratings systems like ZIPs; ratings for top international players are done the same way they are for MLB prospects -- exhaustive research on what professional scouts and analysts are saying. In Otani's case, things like:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...ct-in-baseball
https://2080baseball.com/reports/shohei-otani/
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...ghters-posting
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-b...-in-the-world/

He's the consensus best pitching prospect on the planet. If you wanna believe you know better than the professionals, hey knock yourself out. But the suggestion that we base the ratings on hype is 100% horse****.
frangipard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

What's funny is that none of those sites you point out are used to any serious degree by any professional scout. They are used by mainly fans and journalists. But what do I know. Oh. Wait. I was a professional at this in my former life and made actual money (albeit not very much!!!!!) evaluating and then teaching it.

Defreitas is the closest thing. His is a legit evaluation. Of a prospect. I hope he's making money at what he does with the site because generally there's a reason most people don't make their careeer out of scouting baseball.

Lots of them become....lawyers. Gasp.

And you're talking about potential and justifying current ratings relative to MLB in this video game. You're not addressing the issue but just throwing a tantrum.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe you've seen Otani play on many occasions, spoken to him, talked to his teammates, coaches and determined that he's a 6 or higher in every aspect and the best chance to succeed in MLB since Mark Prior. I doubt it. My game would cost a lot more than $35 if that were the case.

You know what? I haven't seen him or evaluated him either. That's sort of my point. It's just I admit it and apply what generally happens with prospects - in the real world - and question his actual, not potential ratings in the video game.

I find it interesting you take it so personally to the point of cursing at me. Maybe you're on the roster team?

No matter. This is the last I'll beat my head against the wall on the subject.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 04-04-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Compliments to Dave
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

I can't stop laughing. I can't help but to laugh.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Every year the prospect flavors of the month are created as 6 million dollar men based on BA or whichever profiles, and every year 9/10 of them regress to the mean. I'm surprised this hasn't been a food fight before, but I'm more surprised no one noticed before. It's certainly not unique to OOTP, any sports game that tries to include "real" draftees ends up with the same problem. (or used to, I gave up other sports games)

As an aside, each year I save the default setup as a quickstart and import it into the new version, so I can start a "real" season as far back as 2010 by now. Some of them are downright humorous when loaded up now.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #26
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGiovanni View Post
Every year the prospect flavors of the month are created as 6 million dollar men based on BA or whichever profiles, and every year 9/10 of them regress to the mean. I'm surprised this hasn't been a food fight before, but I'm more surprised no one noticed before. It's certainly not unique to OOTP, any sports game that tries to include "real" draftees ends up with the same problem. (or used to, I gave up other sports games)

As an aside, each year I save the default setup as a quickstart and import it into the new version, so I can start a "real" season as far back as 2010 by now. Some of them are downright humorous when loaded up now.
Oh sure, but if we had crystal balls that could actually rate everyone correctly then we'd be working for an MLB team and getting paid $10,000,000 a year

I'm not really sure what anyone wants from us, are we supposed to be better than the real scouts?

As to Airdrop's issues, they're a bit illogical, using that reasoning he'd probably have had the same complaints about Ichiro or Cespedes or any other international player before they played in MLB.

Just because someone hasn't played at the highest level yet doesn't mean they can't be better than many guys who have done so, there are plenty of examples to prove that's the case.

That doesn't mean that everyone who is hyped turns out as good as the hype of course, but some guys actually end up even better than the hype. It all kind of evens out in the end.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-04-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #27
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

and btw, marketability of players, or whatever you want to call it has literally nothing to do with how players are rated in OOTP. We never discuss that or even think about it.

I seriously don't think anyone is buying the game or not buying it based on how we rated Shohei Otani or even Mike Trout.

That's a total non-issue and it's frankly a little confusing to me that anyone would think that's factor that we'd even spend time thinking about

Maybe we should though, maybe we'd sell more games if we did I doubt it though, I really do

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-04-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #28
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Bro...put the Korean baseball stud of the year on the cover, maybe playing against the Korean pro video game stud, and I bet you sell more!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Bro...put the Korean baseball stud of the year on the cover, maybe playing against the Korean pro video game stud, and I bet you sell more!
It could be!

We just may not be very good at marketing and we're missing all sorts of golden opportunities

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-04-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #30
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

All joking aside though, what we're actually trying to do is get things right.

As in, as realistic and accurate as possible. I think people appreciate that a lot more in the end and will keep coming back more than if we were to make ratings based on marketing decisions.

Now obviously that doesn't mean we do get things right all the time, we're human and limited and we make mistakes and maybe even use bad info. We surely even succumb to hype on occasion, just like everyone does.

We're a small team as well, so we have only so much time that can go into rating everyone.

What we do though, is TRY to get things right and reflect the real abilities of the real players as accurately as we possibly can. We're always working on adjusting things when more info comes in or when we learn something new.

We may not always be right, that's for sure. Still, I really don't think anyone who knows what goes into the process, the amount of time and effort and sweat we put into it, could fault our intentions. That's even if the end result is sometimes inaccurate or limited in certain instances.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-04-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #31
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
All joking aside though, what we're actually trying to do is get things right.

As in, as realistic and accurate as possible. I think people appreciate that a lot more in the end and will keep coming back more than if we were to make ratings based on marketing decisions.

Now obviously that doesn't mean we do get things right all the time, we're human and limited and we make mistakes and maybe even use bad info. We surely even succumb to hype on occasion, just like everyone does.

We're a small team as well, so we have only so much time that can go into rating everyone.

What we do though, is TRY to get things right and reflect the real abilities of the real players as accurately as we possibly can. We're always working on adjusting things when more info comes in or when we learn something new.

We may not always be right, that's for sure. Still, I really don't think anyone who knows what goes into the process, the amount of time and effort and sweat we put into it, could fault our intentions. That's even if the end result is sometimes inaccurate or limited in certain instances.
I agree, having had every version, ever!!

Just don't take out commissioner mode ever, please!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I agree, having had every version, ever!!

Just don't take out commissioner mode ever, please!
Thanks!

I'd be lost without commissioner mode myself, so as long as I'm around and have a say, that won't be happening

Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #33
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nah. I'm putting him in Rocco.
cool
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #34
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Oh sure, but if we had crystal balls that could actually rate everyone correctly then we'd be working for an MLB team and getting paid $10,000,000 a year
I think you are seriously underestimating how much that information would be worth
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:

I'm not really sure what anyone wants from us, are we supposed to be better than the real scouts?
Well, you should probably set the bar higher than that :P

I don't mean to criticize the methodology, about which I know nothing. It's just a hazard for sports game designers, but in baseball at least you can hide behind the horrible numbers of #1 draft picks that go nowhere or wash out. Maybe the regular talent change randomness setting takes care of that, as you say, over the course of time. But, Ichiro is a great example of the phenomenon. I'm old enough to remember many Japanese players who were supposed to be world-beaters when signed and he is the one unique talent out of the whole bunch (with honorable mention to Hideki Matsui).

I suppose in OOTP it's a feature and not a bug, in the sense that there might be 4-5 guys in a draft class with the "potential" ratings to be another Mike Trout, and after a couple of years there's one Mike Trout, one Dizzy Trout, and several Steve Trouts, and it washes out over the course of all the games we all sim all over the world.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #36
JeffTitansBaseball
Bat Boy

Quote:
I am sorry. This drives me nuts. Some, especially one team in the OOTP rating system get shafted by what is admittedly one of the most fair thing out there (PECOTA and now ZIPS) -- as my Royals do and several other teams...but none worse than the Royals group of players because they are just the team since 2013 that PECOTA type systems have been abysmally poor at evaluating......

And this dude gets his ratings set here and he's never touched a major league rubber in a game or stood in against the worst major league pitcher.

It's marketing. I get it. But I'm commissioner moding this dude right to the Rocco School of Typewriter Maintenance.
He's played against MLB players in 2014 as a pitcher.

Because you were a scout you know more about baseball than the rest of us? Can you say that you were on a college world series team? Because I can.
JeffTitansBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 AM   #37
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Any experience how to use him properly in the game?

In my save he became a free agent actually and is at age 28 available for MLB teams to sign.

He is somewhat above average at all he does, pitching, running, fielding, hitting, not really elite however. So I figured best use for him would be to do a bit (or quite a lot...) of everything.

Now how does the game handle it, if for example, I let him DH every other day and use im as a regular SP otherwise, will his stamina recover enough to do so?
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome View Post
Any experience how to use him properly in the game?

In my save he became a free agent actually and is at age 28 available for MLB teams to sign.

He is somewhat above average at all he does, pitching, running, fielding, hitting, not really elite however. So I figured best use for him would be to do a bit (or quite a lot...) of everything.

Now how does the game handle it, if for example, I let him DH every other day and use im as a regular SP otherwise, will his stamina recover enough to do so?
I've been using Otani as an occasional pinch hitter when he isn't pitching, and I've found he can't reasonably pitch every five days if he's batting on the days he doesn't pitch. You'll need to spot start a guy occasionally, because he'll be listed at 100% but not actually fully rested.
bwburke94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #39
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Hey all, I'm not sure if the instructions to do this has already been posted but I'm not sure how to sign Otani in my save. I don't think I have foreign leagues turned on or something because no one ever gets posted - not a single player in any season I sim - but foreign players are still entering free agency at the beginning of the FA signing period every offseason. Is there something I need to turn on when creating my franchise save for him to exist and allow him to be posted or eventually reach free agency? I've started numerous franchises and even after simming for 10+ years, he never appears as an IFA. Someone mentioned something about forcing him to be posted via commissioner mode? How would I go about doing so?

Thanks in advance for your help!
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #40
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

You need to have enabled *** when you created the game.
bwburke94 is online now   Reply With Quote