Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Questionable AI decisions

I'm just going to start posting them in here until they get addressed since the other thread I was using got locked.

Just had my starting CF pinch hit for in the bottom of the 7th when up by one just because it was lefty vs lefty. Then had my GG winning SS pinch hit for in the 8th while up two runs just because the bases were loaded and he is a poor hitter.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
cmaug
Major Leagues

there are settings that you can adjust that are specific to how often a player is pinch hit for
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaug View Post
there are settings that you can adjust that are specific to how often a player is pinch hit for
It is binary though. You can either select to never pinch hit for someone or you can allow him to be pinch hit for. I wouldn't mind my GG SS being pinch hit for in the late innings when we are down but what manager in today's game pinch hits for their awesome defensive SS late in a game where they are leading?

Its not like I can make the settings so Addison Russel only gets pinch hit for when we are behind in the late innings.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 04-13-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaug View Post
This would only affect your players, though, correct? Not the AI's team that you're playing against (or the AI vs the AI), which would negatively affect the gameplay in general. Unless I'm not understanding settings that can be implemented?
MKG1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

The AI does silly things sometimes. It's the nature of the beast. At least you and the AI are playing under the same restrictions.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
The AI does silly things sometimes. It's the nature of the beast. At least you and the AI are playing under the same restrictions.
One of the reasons I don't play out most of my games. It feels like cheating.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
Toast
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I'm just going to start posting them in here until they get addressed since the other thread I was using got locked.

Just had my starting CF pinch hit for in the bottom of the 7th when up by one just because it was lefty vs lefty. Then had my GG winning SS pinch hit for in the 8th while up two runs just because the bases were loaded and he is a poor hitter.
Yea they locked the mentioned thread because I've been wondering aloud whether the sim is pre-determined to a certain extent. You are not suppose to do that hence the locking of the thread.

The sample size argument is used with reckless abandonment. Be prepared to be called a troller or conspirator if you continue with your present train of thought.'I see nothing wrong with your power hitter bunting in the 7th with two on and one out while trailing by three runs!'

Toast
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
mainstreet
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Yea they locked the mentioned thread because I've been wondering aloud whether the sim is pre-determined to a certain extent. You are not suppose to do that hence the locking of the thread.

The sample size argument is used with reckless abandonment. Be prepared to be called a troller or conspirator if you continue with your present train of thought.'I see nothing wrong with your power hitter bunting in the 7th with two on and one out while trailing by three runs!'

Toast
If a thread gets locked because of something you post, and the OP creates a new thread, you MIGHT want to consider not posting the same crap in their thread as well.

Ah, for the forum styles in which OPs were automatically mods of their own thread...

To answer the OPs question: I don't doubt that this happens, I doubt this happens any less in games you don't watch and just let sim, you just don't watch them. The AI is dumb, and it's dumb regardless of whether you're watching the game or not.

It's why I tend to manage both teams whenever I play a game and I'm not doing a GM and/or manager career attempt. (Of course, watch me manage a game and wonder why I leave pitchers in too long... in general, I don't like pulling non-tired pitchers in any situation unless I need to pinch-hit or I know that I want to save an RP for availability for the next game. But that's my own person "personality quirk". )
mainstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The Tinfoil Hat is now in this thread, too?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #10
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
If a thread gets locked because of something you post, and the OP creates a new thread, you MIGHT want to consider not posting the same crap in their thread as well.

Ah, for the forum styles in which OPs were automatically mods of their own thread...

To answer the OPs question: I don't doubt that this happens, I doubt this happens any less in games you don't watch and just let sim, you just don't watch them. The AI is dumb, and it's dumb regardless of whether you're watching the game or not.

It's why I tend to manage both teams whenever I play a game and I'm not doing a GM and/or manager career attempt. (Of course, watch me manage a game and wonder why I leave pitchers in too long... in general, I don't like pulling non-tired pitchers in any situation unless I need to pinch-hit or I know that I want to save an RP for availability for the next game. But that's my own person "personality quirk". )
Wasn't trying to imply this happens in games I play out but not when simmed. Just a thread to point out all of the questionable strategies I see while watching/playing out the few games I do.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:33 AM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Toast
Really, you're going to publicly misrepresent why the thread was locked, even after I sent you a long explanatory PM in response to your question? That's how you want to play this?

Just to reiterate publicly, that's not why the thread was locked, it was locked because the tone had gone downhill quickly and was not going to get better, in my opinion. You were not the main reason it was locked.

However, in looking back at the thread, I see that it was actually going pretty well until you posted a personal attack on a couple of other forum members, which caused things to get ugly quickly. That's probably warning worthy now that I consider.

If you keep up your antics this thread is going to go the same way and there will be infractions handed out in that case.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-14-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Can't you just delete offensive posts so as to preserve the integrity of a thread? Feel like if this thread gets locked then I'm being punished for the actions of someone else.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post

Now that you have the game and date and everything, can you post it? Show everyone what it is that you are talking about?
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:44 AM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Now that you have the game and date and everything, can you post it? Show everyone what it is that you are talking about?
Umm, yeah I guess. How do I do that?

I have the specific game log pulled up in OOTP but I have no idea how to export it or whatever to be able to copy it into a post here.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 04-14-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 AM   #15
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Well let's see if I figured this out.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 AM   #16
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I guess that kind of worked. That's two screen shots. Top one is top of the seventh where my CF Jackie Bradley Jr. gets pinch hit for by Sam Travis because a lefty is pitching even though we just took a 4-3 lead on the solo HR by Rijo. The bottom one is the top of the 8th where Addison Russell is pinch hit for by Blankenship when we have a 5-3 lead.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #17
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

More information is needed like the players involved, defenses and hitting for both vs lefties and the pitcher how good he is vs the players that he faced. I've never seen this done in games vs the ai so there has to be some reason for it. Maybe screwy ai decision making buy your pinch hitters is an easy fix. Just set them so they can't be pinch hit for.

Does this happen to other teams?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
MKG1734
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Maybe screwy ai decision making buy your pinch hitters is an easy fix. Just set them so they can't be pinch hit for.

This is the issue. You can fix YOUR team....but you cannot fix the AI's teams....which, is the inherent AI issue. The fix would need to apply to work for both your team and the AI to ensure the integrity of the sim is kept.
MKG1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
More information is needed like the players involved, defenses and hitting for both vs lefties and the pitcher how good he is vs the players that he faced. I've never seen this done in games vs the ai so there has to be some reason for it. Maybe screwy ai decision making buy your pinch hitters is an easy fix. Just set them so they can't be pinch hit for.

I already listed the players involved. One was Jackie Bradley Jr., my starting CF who was a good defensive CF and the best defensive CF I had on the roster. The other was Addison Russell, my light hitting, GG winning shortstop. Neither should be pinch hit for with the lead but it would make sense to pinch hit for Russell late in games where we trailed. Not so sure about Bradley Jr. but I wouldn't argue with the AI if pinch hitting for him when he is facing a lefty, again, late in a game where we trailed.

And I don't post these so that you can tell me how to create a "work around". I post these so that they will be addressed at some point by Markus and his team. If nothing else one could program the AI such that it never pinch hits for position players when in the lead unless there is a player listed as a "defensive sub" on the lineup screen. A work around would only increase the advantage I already have over the AI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKG1734 View Post
This is the issue. You can fix YOUR team....but you cannot fix the AI's teams....which, is the inherent AI issue. The fix would need to apply to work for both your team and the AI to ensure the integrity of the sim is kept.
Exactly.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #20
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

That why was I asked if it happened to the other teams