Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Setting Statistical League Totals

Not new to the game, but I haven't really spent much time trying to set up my own leagues in the past. I did the following:

Went into League Settings, clicked Stats & AI Tab, selected my desired offensive environment (2009), which changed the totals and auto-calced modifiers, and clicked Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy button. Before that, I had tried doing the same without checking that button, and found that the league saw a steady increase in offense (evolution is off) over the next 20 years until it balanced out at above 1999 levels. When I checked it and set it to 2009, my statistical totals were consistent from year to year, but they're significantly lower than real life 2009 totals. For instance, the average league OPS in 2009 was a little over .765, and the average OPS in my league is just a shade over .700.

Here's the thing: When I sim my league, in 2015, stat totals are right around where they should be, but then they instantly jump lower in 2016 despite no changes being made by me. It seems the game might automatically adjust some of the modifiers, though, because I noticed earlier that they were lower than earlier. I've noticed that selecting the automatically adjust league totals checkbox multiple times keeps lowering modifiers lower and lower.

I also tried a season where the OOTP defaults were in place (huge, huge offensive numbers) and tried a season where 2009 totals were in place and all major offensive modifiers were set at 1.000 rather than automatically recalced (insanely high numbers, and another bug I'd seen where teams are playing 150 games instead of 162 for no apparent reason (a bug I thought I'd worked around already.)

For the record, I have a 30 team league with 5 levels of minors and 100 feeder teams, which feed the draft exclusively.

I've solved a bunch of problems with this league and am starting to get more than a bit frustrated by finding one last problem to solve after one last problem to solve after I think I'm finally done. I don't think I've actually played the game in over a week because I'm trying to get this to work right, and any help would be appreciated.

Essentially, I want my game to spit out approximately 2009 numbers (or even 2014 numbers would be fine), but no matter what combination I try, they seem to be significantly too low or significantly too high.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-10-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Check out this thread. I happen to like MLB 2009 stats.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...modifiers.html

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Check out this thread. I happen to like MLB 2009 stats.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...modifiers.html
I feel like I'm sitting in high school trigonometry again.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense (which I doubtlessly am), but I'm not totally clear after reading that several times how to use it correctly.

When I click Restore Defaults in the Stats/AI Tab, it suggests 165,000 ABs, 43,000 hits, 9,300 doubles, 900 triples, 5900 HRs, 17800 BB, 1500 HBP, 29000 Ks, and a .290 BABIP. When I select Totals from year and set it to 2009, ht changes those suggested totals to the totals in 2009.

If I then click Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy, it changes the modifiers (to 1.165 for HRs, 1.158 for BBs, .944 for hits, etc.)

At what point in that process do I use any of those numbers in the spreadsheet? Am I using the right process to make the league play to 2009 totals? Am I even close?

Again, I'm sorry for not following. I really did give the thread multiple reads, but I'm thinking maybe I don't have the prereqs, so to speak, to follow that process. (I also have a feeling if I finally do figure this out there's a very good chance it's going to be so obvious I'm going to smack myself in the head). I've never really worked with league totals or modifiers before, as I've never really tried to get deeply into a fictional league.

In the manual, it makes it sound like by manually entering the totals for a year and leaving all modifiers at 1, you'll end up with approximately those totals (or at least those ratios), or that setting the modifiers at, say, 1.100, it'll make them hit 10% more, say, homers, than the number in the totals section. From what you're saying, it's nowhere near that simple, huh?

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-10-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
I feel like I'm sitting in high school trigonometry again.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense (which I doubtlessly am), but I'm not totally clear after reading that several times how to use it correctly.

When I click Restore Defaults in the Stats/AI Tab, it suggests 165,000 ABs, 43,000 hits, 9,300 doubles, 900 triples, 5900 HRs, 17800 BB, 1500 HBP, 29000 Ks, and a .290 BABIP. When I select Totals from year and set it to 2009, ht changes those suggested totals to the totals in 2009.

If I then click Automatically adjust league totals modifiers for accuracy, it changes the modifiers (to 1.165 for HRs, 1.158 for BBs, .944 for hits, etc.)

At what point in that process do I use any of those numbers in the spreadsheet? Am I using the right process to make the league play to 2009 totals? Am I even close?

Again, I'm sorry for not following. I really did give the thread multiple reads, but I'm thinking maybe I don't have the prereqs, so to speak, to follow that process. (I also have a feeling if I finally do figure this out there's a very good chance it's going to be so obvious I'm going to smack myself in the head). I've never really worked with league totals or modifiers before, as I've never really tried to get deeply into a fictional league.

In the manual, it makes it sound like by manually entering the totals for a year and leaving all modifiers at 1, you'll end up with approximately those totals (or at least those ratios), or that setting the modifiers at, say, 1.100, it'll make them hit 10% more, say, homers, than the number in the totals section. From what you're saying, it's nowhere near that simple, huh?
The game cannot anticipate player ratings distribution. You should enter the totals for 2009 then click autocalc. Remember autocalc should be used as close to opening day as possible so that you have the expected players on rosters. Autocalc simulates 3 seasons in the background to get the modifiers. When you see a 1.165 for HR it is telling you that the ratings distribution is about 16% off the desired output of that stat. That's batters and pitchers, each who contribute to HR. If you get totals within ±10% you are doing very well.

The spreadsheet is designed to work with an existing league and existing LT and LTM from a previous season. I suggest you run a season or two using autocalc and then use the spreadsheet to refine the modifiers into the future. I'll try to improve the instructions and post them.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 04-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The game cannot anticipate player ratings distribution. You should enter the totals for 2009 then click autocalc. Remember autocalc should be used as close to opening day as possible so that you have the expected players on rosters. Autocalc simulates 3 seasons in the background to get the modifiers. When you see a 1.165 for HR it is telling you that the ratings distribution is about 16% off the desired output of that stat. That's batters and pitchers, each who contribute to HR. If you get totals within ±10% you are doing very well.

The spreadsheet is designed to work with an existing league and existing LT and LTM from a previous season. I suggest you run a season or two using autocalc and then use the spreadsheet to refine the modifiers into the future. I'll try to improve the instructions and post them.
I really appreciate your help. I had no idea you were supposed to recalc closer to Opening Day. Just that should be extremely helpful.

I would appreciate anything you can do to make those instructions clearer for me. I'm pretty sure it's mostly me not being able to follow them, but I know my way around an Excel Spreadsheet pretty well, so anything more about the theory of what you're actually trying to do (in addition to the general step by step instructions) would be especially helpful.

Again, thanks so much for helping.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

One additional related question: I've been going with the autocalc the day before Opening Day thing and getting much, much better results, but I've noticed that one of my subleagues (I had to make one subleague have 16 teams and one 14 teams in order to get the game to make teams play 162 games) is far more pitching oriented than the other. The 16 team league is consistently (over 5 seasons) displaying significantly lower offensive stats than the 14 team league, even though both have the DH on. Any ideas why that might be? Could it just be coincidence?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
One additional related question: I've been going with the autocalc the day before Opening Day thing and getting much, much better results, but I've noticed that one of my subleagues (I had to make one subleague have 16 teams and one 14 teams in order to get the game to make teams play 162 games) is far more pitching oriented than the other. The 16 team league is consistently (over 5 seasons) displaying significantly lower offensive stats than the 14 team league, even though both have the DH on. Any ideas why that might be? Could it just be coincidence?
This is a two stage process. The league totals in isolation must represent the type of run scoring environment you want. League total modifiers "modify" the results to accommodate variations in ratings that occur continuously with the population of players that make up each league.

League totals alone establish the rate of occurrence of certain stat vs AB. You need a realistic stable set of league totals first in order to establish the correct rates of occurrence.

So in 2009 5042 HR were hit in 165849 AB but in your league there may be 10 or more young sluggers whose ratings along with the rest of the batting population would hit approx 5545 HR. Autocalc would then return a modifier that is -10% from the previous modifier (might not be 1.000).

Even then the exact number of HR is not determined. The game engine will produce the results derived from pitcher/batter match up anyway, so you may end up with 5295 HR, a 5% increase which is perfectly reasonable. A controlled replay of the league using the same settings could return 10% less HR if a few key players get injured. LT and LTM act as a buffer system, the game produces the results.

See below for my set of stable LT. This needs some editing as the GB% is not correct. It should be GO and approx 52%.

Confused yet? Ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Attached Images

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 04-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
This is a two stage process. The league totals in isolation must represent the type of run scoring environment you want. League total modifiers "modify" the results to accommodate variations in ratings that occur continuously with the population of players that make up each league.

League totals alone establish the rate of occurrence of certain stat vs AB. You need a realistic stable set of league totals first in order to establish the correct rates of occurrence.

So in 2009 5042 HR were hit in 165849 AB but in your league there may be 10 or more young sluggers whose ratings along with the rest of the batting population would hit approx 5545 HR. Autocalc would then return a modifier that is -10% from the previous modifier (might not be 1.000).

Even then the exact number of HR is not determined. The game engine will produce the results derived from pitcher/batter match up anyway, so you may end up with 5295 HR, a 5% increase which is perfectly reasonable. A controlled replay of the league using the same settings could return 10% less HR if a few key players get injured. LT and LTM act as a buffer system, the game produces the results.

See below for my set of stable LT. This needs some editing as the GB% is not correct. It should be GO and approx 52%.

Confused yet? Ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer.
No, with you so far on all of that.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #9
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

So I went back to your other post and I think I did everything as instructed. My question is this: There seems to be a lot of data that goes unused in those spreadsheets (or that's for non major leagues). For instance, one of the things that was throwing me off was the totals from the previous three years above the totals from the current year. Are those there for any reason?

As far as I can tell, there are orange totals at the bottom of the Batting Totals screen for MLB and each of the minor leagues. Do you think I would be okay using your overall minors targets and just autocalcing the minors each year if I'm not terribly concerned about minors numbers matching certain totals? What, if anything, do you recommend for feeders?

I might try to make something a bit easier for me to follow compiling all of this information for just the major league level. If I manage to do so, would you be willing to take a look at the spreadsheet for me to confirm it's doing the same thing yours is? If I decide to make something, do you mind if I re-use some of your formatting?

Edit: Also, what do you consider "close" as far as a modifier autocalced vs. the one calculated by your spreadsheet?

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-12-2015 at 03:50 PM.