Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #141
RoPa
All Star Reserve

Some guy named Robert sent in the game info to Blue's News
Out of the Park Developments' Hockey Plans - Blue's News Story
RoPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #142
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Sure this isn't what I meant to say. It's just that the game is more than just an NHL simulator (wich is the reason why EHM is always a great game so many years after it was put to death).
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #143
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I love the talk about possible ways to introduce historical play. Some form of existing database would be a great starting point (and would help for modern play as well) and I will check out what was posted in this thread over the weekend. If you have more findings, let me know. I seem to remember a side much like Retrosheet that has hockey play by play data available but I can't find the link.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #144
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Great news and great choice of sports! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #145
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Hey guys, I got behind with answering all the emails I got so far so please be patient, I will work through the rest tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #146
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Whatifsports.com has a nice historical database of hockey players...

Edit: Apparently they use hockey-reference.com as their source.

Last edited by monkeyman576; 10-21-2011 at 05:56 PM.
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #147
harmon
Bat Boy

Don't know if this has been said...but

harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #148
CD1083
All Star Starter

Will there be Head-2-Head?
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #149
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chase Davis View Post
Will there be Head-2-Head?
I know I will be on thin ice now but what exactly would you like to see with H2H? The possibility to play out games H2H in e.g. online league games? Something else?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #150
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I know I will be on thin ice now but what exactly would you like to see with H2H? The possibility to play out games H2H in e.g. online league games? Something else?
I don't see H2H being all that warranted for a text based hockey sim other than set your lines and starting goalie for the game which can be done by import/export. Other than pull a goalie or make changes to lines between plays or periods, there really isn't an advantage. You can set your strategies up in an export as well. Baseball where we would it would be more advantageous as you can play out the game pitch by pitch.

Last edited by RBLwebguy; 10-22-2011 at 08:29 AM.
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #151
fireholder
Minors (Double A)

This has me almost evilly rubbing my hands together with a grin on my face.

I have absolutely no experience with OOTP besides having heard someone talking about it in a chat room.

On the other side, I have a massive amount of experience with modding, customizing, and getting to know the intricacies of EHM. I've read this whole thread, and I recognize some names and I'm pretty sure those names can vouch for that.

First, I have some questions comparing the two game styles that I assume just about anyone can answer for me:

1) What kind of graphics are or would be involved? Could you watch the games at all?

Love EHM to death (RIP), but while I found watching circles skate with the puck to be somewhat enthralling, not everyone else does. Also, jerseys and such would be nice.

2) How in-depth are the player attributes?

I know EHM had like 55 or so attributes, and it was a very nice system of Physical, Mental, and Technical attributes that I think worked pretty well. I'm curious what OOTP or WTHM would offer in that regard.

This may seem like an odd concept, but I run a league with 200 or so active players in it. This league is a bit strange, since it's actually a fantasy role-playing game where everyone signs themselves up as a 'player' and then 10 of them also second as 'managers,' making an entire fictional league made up of forum members. Games are posted on a regular basis and everyone gets to have for-fun rivalries with each other and track "their" progress, with the option to change their playing style at the end of every season. Currently running on EHM 2007.

Due to this, I've had extensive experience in testing and changing things within the EHM system, and while I love it, I do know some of its bigger strengths and flaws. The nature of the league kind of mandates that a lot of the more interested and involved players buy the game -- I know that due to me at least 50-100 people wound up buying EHM, even though it wound up being years old.

If there's any way I can offer advise or assistance at all, I'd love to be able to, especially if a tentative attribute list is around or possibly available.

Regardless of my ramblings, I'm getting pretty enthralled with this project.
fireholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #152
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

My apologies for not going through 8 pages of posts to see if you discussed this, but I am interested enough to post this question (and I am not a hockey fan):

How will this game simulate hockey in the rink? Baseball is comprised of play by play, one at a time. The action momentarily stops, the results of the last play are evaluated, positions and strategy are adjusted, and the next play ensues. While the clock is running, hockey is flowing back and forth. How does a text simulation game reproduce this? Or will it at all?

Sorry, but I never looked into the soccer-type games offered by this developer or any other or perhaps I would know the answer to this.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #153
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
My apologies for not going through 8 pages of posts to see if you discussed this, but I am interested enough to post this question (and I am not a hockey fan):

How will this game simulate hockey in the rink? Baseball is comprised of play by play, one at a time. The action momentarily stops, the results of the last play are evaluated, positions and strategy are adjusted, and the next play ensues. While the clock is running, hockey is flowing back and forth. How does a text simulation game reproduce this? Or will it at all?

Sorry, but I never looked into the soccer-type games offered by this developer or any other or perhaps I would know the answer to this.
EHM actually did a pretty good job of this, minus a few bugs and a poorly-flowing play by play text. It's a good starting point, though. This new game could do a lot worse than modelling its in-game presentation after Eastside.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #154
Tekneek
Major Leagues

I am definitely looking forward to this!
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #155
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Yes, our in-game mode is much like FM and EHM: the game will run and you will get commentary for interesting scenes. You can stop the clock whenever you want to change strategies or take a look at game stats, player stats or just can't stand the tension.

So it is a lot different to OOTP in that regard but that is in the nature of the sport.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #156
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
You must be new around here.

I appreciate your quick response. I was just trying to be funny.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #157
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireholder View Post
This has me almost evilly rubbing my hands together with a grin on my face.

I have absolutely no experience with OOTP besides having heard someone talking about it in a chat room.

On the other side, I have a massive amount of experience with modding, customizing, and getting to know the intricacies of EHM. I've read this whole thread, and I recognize some names and I'm pretty sure those names can vouch for that.

First, I have some questions comparing the two game styles that I assume just about anyone can answer for me:

1) What kind of graphics are or would be involved? Could you watch the games at all?

Love EHM to death (RIP), but while I found watching circles skate with the puck to be somewhat enthralling, not everyone else does. Also, jerseys and such would be nice.

2) How in-depth are the player attributes?

I know EHM had like 55 or so attributes, and it was a very nice system of Physical, Mental, and Technical attributes that I think worked pretty well. I'm curious what OOTP or WTHM would offer in that regard.

This may seem like an odd concept, but I run a league with 200 or so active players in it. This league is a bit strange, since it's actually a fantasy role-playing game where everyone signs themselves up as a 'player' and then 10 of them also second as 'managers,' making an entire fictional league made up of forum members. Games are posted on a regular basis and everyone gets to have for-fun rivalries with each other and track "their" progress, with the option to change their playing style at the end of every season. Currently running on EHM 2007.

Due to this, I've had extensive experience in testing and changing things within the EHM system, and while I love it, I do know some of its bigger strengths and flaws. The nature of the league kind of mandates that a lot of the more interested and involved players buy the game -- I know that due to me at least 50-100 people wound up buying EHM, even though it wound up being years old.

If there's any way I can offer advise or assistance at all, I'd love to be able to, especially if a tentative attribute list is around or possibly available.

Regardless of my ramblings, I'm getting pretty enthralled with this project.
Sign this guy up.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #158
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chase Davis View Post
You must be new around here.

I appreciate your quick response. I was just trying to be funny.
I know the story behind H2H more then anybody else as I have one more detail to the story. I can't tell as I want to keep my job.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #159
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

This is really great news. I still play with my copy of EHM but I have really wanted to see something like this come along for years.

I can hardly wait for the opportunity to bring the Hamilton Tigers back to life!! And maybe the Golden Seals while I'm at it.
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #160
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, our in-game mode is much like FM and EHM: the game will run and you will get commentary for interesting scenes. You can stop the clock whenever you want to change strategies or take a look at game stats, player stats or just can't stand the tension.

So it is a lot different to OOTP in that regard but that is in the nature of the sport.
Thanks. Based on my regard for OOTPB, I think I might give this a try despite my not being much of a hockey fan. Of course, you must promise to move on to American Football for your next project . . .
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote