Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #221
Stealcompany
Minors (Triple A)

dealing with expansion

One thing I would really love to see would be a system of dealing with expansion that reflects what happens in real life.

At least I would like to see limits on how many players an individual team can lose in an expansion draft. My recollection is that in most NHL expansions there has been a limit of three players per team that could be lost.

To my mind that would be an improvement over what OOTP allows in expansions and would be a real improvement in gameplay.

I would also like to see if eventually we could see the option of using salary caps or not and in order to represent the history of the NHL, the ability of NHL teams to sponsor junior teams so those players automatically become the property of the NHL club. This would mean we could see NHL scouts who would uncover 14, 15, 16 year-olds that teams would entice to sign with their junior teams.

I don't need to see this all at once but it would be great to eventually get them.
Stealcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #222
Javs
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would love to see affiliate team contracts for NHL teams that do not own their affiliates. With this feature we can see teams change affiliates which happens fairly regularly.

Whether or not the contract is renewed can depend on the following:

- Low fan interest (which could be because the team is located in a rival teams "fan zone"
- Poor management decisions
- NHL team decides to buy an affiliate team closer to their location

... and I'm sure there is many more, but that is just a few.

All in all I am very excited for this project, and can only hope that the AI is better then in EHM
Javs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 AM   #223
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

I just wanted to say that I'm really excited for this game as a huge hockey fan. EHM's hiatus left a void and next season can't come soon enough
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #224
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to hearing more about this game. I used to love hockey as a kid. Haven't followed it much over the past decade. I have been struggling to find another sports sim game as good as OOTP w/ a nice interface. If this looks/feels like OOTP then you will be on the right track.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #225
BostonRS14
All Star Starter

I love the OOTP is getting involved in hockey. Will finally get that much closer to creating my ultimate dynasty with all four Boston franchises.
BostonRS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #226
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

How would coaching be handled in the game? Unlike in OOTP, where they're around more so for developing players, they'd have a great effect on their team's style of play. You might have a wide open offence coach, a defensive trapping coach, or a goon coach, and he'd have to be the right type of coach for the players on the roster (or vice versa). Not sure if it's too feasible for a database, but it would be nice for current/fictional leagues.

As I'm usually more interested with the GM aspect, I actually think the coaching in EHM was too complicated. Players often not producing according to their abilities if you didn't have the right strategies and it was often trial-and-error, which is fine if you handled coaching yourself but frustrating if you hired a head coach to do it for you.

Last edited by Hoiles; 10-31-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM   #227
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Let me just make one recommendation, that is please give us lets of updates and screenshots. the earlier you can do this, the more people will learn about the game and spread the news to folks (especially here in Canada )
Naturally advertisement is very important and we will do everything possible to advertise the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Maybe closer to release do a blog on a season or two you simulate/play and use that to talk about some of the features. That i think will really help sell copies and inform people.
There will be certainly a number of road to release postings.
Malte Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #228
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Does that also go for defining the type of overtime? In the regular season, the NHL uses a five-minute sudden-death overtime. The WHA used to have a ten-minute sudden-death overtime. Also, the NHL overtimes are now four-on-four, whereas they used to be five-on-five.
Yes, you can edit all the game rules, such as number of players, for the regular season, playoffs and overtime.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #229
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
What OS(s) will be supported. I'm still using XP and really hope to be able to avoid a new OS/computer at this point in time.
I don't know exactly whether we will officially support XP, but I'm pretty sure that the game will run on xp.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #230
Malte Schwarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
How would coaching be handled in the game? Unlike in OOTP, where they're around more so for developing players, they'd have a great effect on their team's style of play. You might have a wide open offence coach, a defensive trapping coach, or a goon coach, and he'd have to be the right type of coach for the players on the roster (or vice versa). Not sure if it's too feasible for a database, but it would be nice for current/fictional leagues.

As I'm usually more interested with the GM aspect, I actually think the coaching in EHM was too complicated. Players often not producing according to their abilities if you didn't have the right strategies and it was often trial-and-error, which is fine if you handled coaching yourself but frustrating if you hired a head coach to do it for you.
We have not decided yet in what form coaches and scouts will be incorporated into the game. We are still undecided at this part of the game.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #231
Muppetus Galacticus
Hall Of Famer

One thought I had was multiple competitions for domestic teams. One example is in the UK where the Elite League teams also play in a Challenge Cup which has a group stage followed by knockout games. There is a European club competition and the Spengler Cup which has HC Davos invite two top European teams to play, along with a Team Canada comprised of players contracted to teams in Europe.

I understand if this kind of thing isn't in the first year of WTHM but I wanted to throw it out there.

My Sports Replay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met Police football club blow a late three goal lead
As for the Met, coming away from Essex with a point has to rank as one their biggest disappointments since failing to catch Jack The Ripper in the late 1800's.
Muppetus Galacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #232
tellville
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!
tellville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #233
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellville View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!
I'm confused. What are you trying to say?

Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #234
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetus Galacticus View Post
One thought I had was multiple competitions for domestic teams. One example is in the UK where the Elite League teams also play in a Challenge Cup which has a group stage followed by knockout games. There is a European club competition and the Spengler Cup which has HC Davos invite two top European teams to play, along with a Team Canada comprised of players contracted to teams in Europe.

I understand if this kind of thing isn't in the first year of WTHM but I wanted to throw it out there.
National cups, tournaments and even stuff like Olympics are in our design but very low on our todo list for version 1. What does that mean: if we have time to make it right we will add it, if we have no time, we will leave it for version 2.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #235
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
National cups, tournaments and even stuff like Olympics are in our design but very low on our todo list for version 1. What does that mean: if we have time to make it right we will add it, if we have no time, we will leave it for version 2.
With limited time it would be great if you could work in the user having the ability to make their own tournaments. So let us choose to create our own world championships, olympics, league cups of sorts etc. with customizable start date, types of players, number of games etc etc.

EDIT: Come to think about it, that would probably take more time doing that but would be incredible to do one day. ootp doesn't even have that ability

I sure am on this forum alot for saying i'm just going to 'sit back and watch'. Who was i kidding - i'm not capable of doing that! You'll all just have to put up with me.

Last edited by dave1927p; 11-01-2011 at 08:54 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #236
ChristinaT
Bat Boy

Since I like Hockey sport a lot, this sounds awesome to me. I can't wait to see it! Now I have to wait a long time, this makes me kind of sad, but if it gets a good game, it will be worth to wait! I love games, where you can simulate and influence so many things.
ChristinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #237
BobBastard
Bat Boy

I like all the suggestions and all the considerations and attention you are giving towards them. That being said, when I play EHM, OOTP, of Football Manager, I play with others. We generally have 2 or more GMS in any given league in various sim games. As far as I understand, for the time being, there will only be a single player mode for OOTP Hockey.

My question is whether this is something you are considering, or will be excluding altogether?

If you do happen to do it, the way it's done in EHM is very functional rather than in OOTP where the switch between GMs is not automatic (when receiving messages, on a new day, on game night, in the draft, etc..).

Thanks for hearing me out, and best of luck with the game. I'm really looking forward to it (even if it stays single player)
BobBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #238
BobBastard
Bat Boy

Also, if you're looking for help with research, I'm more than willing to help, if it advances the project.
BobBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #239
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaT View Post
Since I like Hockey sport a lot, this sounds awesome to me. I can't wait to see it! Now I have to wait a long time, this makes me kind of sad, but if it gets a good game, it will be worth to wait! I love games, where you can simulate and influence so many things.
I've been waiting 4 years for another top tier single player hockey sim - what's another year ?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #240
Javs
Hall Of Famer

Is there a plan...

- To add Midget/Bantam AAA,AA feeder leagues to the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, USHL, NAHL... ect?

- To add the Canadian Jr.A circuit? (BCHL, AJHL, SJHL, ect...) If there is a plan to add this, I would like to propose the ability to add not only the country the league plays in, but also the province. This will allow to the ability to include the "foreigner" limit for these leagues. (limit players from outside the leagues province).

I am willing to assist in researching and I do have experience researching with EHM.
Javs is offline   Reply With Quote