Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
noahcal11
Bat Boy

Question Aging Speed, Dev Speed, Talent Change, etc.

I'm curious what game adjustments you guys make. I've read the OOTP User Guide from 3 years ago and u/clutper's tips and tricks (both on Reddit) from way before that (which has most of the adjustments I make). Stuff like scouting weighing ratings and stats, allowing draft pick trading, and changing talent randomness and stuff.

Mostly I'm concerned with the ticky tack stuff like talent change randomness and aging speed. In 2014 the suggested numbers may work, but now I'm not sure if OOTP has been tuned with regards to those since. What settings do you guys use? And, after a long time, does your game become imbalanced in a certain way or is it fairly realistic?
noahcal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Every year OOTP has been fine tuning it. Nowadays a lot stick to default but I personally go a touch less aging and a touch faster development. I always go 150ish for TCR.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I go default in a game I import from version to version. I figure Markus and co. run thousands of season tests and believe their numbers will be as good or better than what others may come up with here. Add in that I play out all of my games so get in three seasons per version. Can't see how messing with settings with my way of play would make much sense.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Talent Randomness and aging set to 70.

I want guys playing into their 40's.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

I'll usually increase batting development to like 1.1 and pitching development to 1.050. I decrease aging just a bit, maybe like .900.

Batting and pitching development is the only thing I think you absolutely need to do. On regular settings you'll never have 19 or 20 year old studs and the only ones who are MLB ready at that age are future HOF'ers anyways.
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

I’ve always struggled with those settings. I always feel like players age way to fast and flame out by age 35ish too much.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog43 View Post
I’ve always struggled with those settings. I always feel like players age way to fast and flame out by age 35ish too much.
Same for me. As someone who likes players to stay on one team their whole career I love seeing players do 20+ years with one team.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I feel like the aging at the far end of careers is a lot better than it was a few years ago. I regularly now see players playing well into their late 30's with a few into their 40's. What I fail to see are the "phenom" types who are MLB ready at ages 20-23. I seem to rarely see players do well at the MLB level under age 24. This is at the default settings.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I go default in a game I import from version to version. I figure Markus and co. run thousands of season tests and believe their numbers will be as good or better than what others may come up with here. Add in that I play out all of my games so get in three seasons per version. Can't see how messing with settings with my way of play would make much sense.
This is me, as well.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
Scottiedog43
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Same for me. As someone who likes players to stay on one team their whole career I love seeing players do 20+ years with one team.
I’m the exact same way. Die hard Reds fan myself.

BTW, “Airman” I assume you’re/was in the military?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
mars001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I always wonder about this. If I import a game from version to version, wouldn't it keep the old setting? Is there a way to keep your games history by importing, but get whatever the new defaults are?
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars001 View Post
I always wonder about this. If I import a game from version to version, wouldn't it keep the old setting? Is there a way to keep your games history by importing, but get whatever the new defaults are?
Yes, it keeps the old settings, in my case that is default 1.000 in the categories being talked about here. IE Aging Speed, Dev Speed, Talent Change, etc. but.... those are now affected by the newest game engine including any tweaks, improvements, or new additions Markus has added to the game. I have never deviated from default so I don't know what happens if one imports a game where they have used something other than 1.000. Maybe someone who has done this can comment.

League totals and league total modifiers are different, IE I do change league totals and modifiers. Your league totals and modifiers will stay the same and import with your game. Like above these too will now be affected by any new changes to the game engine. Only difference here is, like my on going game, I use "auto calc" to adjust the LTM (league total modifiers) so the stats come out as expected.

Hope that helps

edit to add: Before playing my imported game I do go through the settings screens to be sure things are the way I want them and something hasn't changed. There may also be a new feature has been added that I may not like the default setting. So yeah, always a good idea to look before playing

Last edited by Sweed; 02-18-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:

same, but maybe 4-5 seasons per version.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
This is a great article on the youth in mlb
https://www.mlb.com/news/young-hitte...n-ever-in-2019

I've had to change to aging and development since OOTP 18. I feel as they don't development fast enough and some age too early.

But unless you are drastically changing these numbers you probably couldn't tell a huge difference right away.

I mean players are going from AA right to MLB these days. Kind of hard to replicate that without changing development numbers.

Honestly though baseball has a huge problem with its minor leagues. There are just way too many players. So you get a phenom that has to move from rookie to AAA or AA but he is spending most of his time against inferior opponents.

Especially now where most minor leagues are completely video captured from batting practice to the games. The level of analytics is crazy. That's why for some players it doesn't matter what their stats are if the video evidence is there that the player is good then he is good and will rise.

So I expect us to see plenty of young players getting to the mlb much quicker these days not sure if OOTP can adjust to that when perhaps the mlb can't even adjust that quickly to it.

But our bottom line should be if OOTP is fun and enticing. If so then it doesn't matter what our settings are or how different each players settings are. But the only way you will know is if you try it.

Having a handful of players reach the mlb when they are young and another handful of 35+ players still hanging around makes my universe more fun for me so I change my settings. But who knows in 21 I might not want to see old timers around and change that.

I don't need it to be 100% realistic but I need it to be 100% fun and enjoyable.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #15
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

I typically have TCR at 125 so there's a bit more boom and bust in prospects, but not so much that it becomes annoying

I also dip aging just a bit so there can be a few players lasting into their late 30s
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
-- SNIP --

But our bottom line should be if OOTP is fun and enticing. If so then it doesn't matter what our settings are or how different each players settings are. But the only way you will know is if you try it.

Having a handful of players reach the mlb when they are young and another handful of 35+ players still hanging around makes my universe more fun for me so I change my settings. But who knows in 21 I might not want to see old timers around and change that.

I don't need it to be 100% realistic but I need it to be 100% fun and enjoyable.
Totally agree. I don't have my game up right now, so I don't know what #s I've changed to, but I slowed the aging curve b/c too many guys were hitting age 32 or so and just dropping off the cliff. I don't mean aging over a couple of seasons, I mean a "drank the iocane powder and died on the spot" dropoff. I also don't see hardly any 19 or 20 year-old phenoms, but the AI seems to bring up a handful of fully developed 21 or 22 year-olds every year. My prospect development always seems a bit slower, somehow... Must be a House Rule.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #17
mytreds
All Star Reserve

I don't touch talent change. I make players last until late 30's early 40's now.
mytreds is offline   Reply With Quote