Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
markprior22
All Star Starter

Personnel

I've not messed around much with personnel/coaching in OOTP until recently. Man, is it taxing and not user friendly. I go to the available personnel screen, sort by what I'm looking for and see if there is anyone I might be interested in. I make offer after offer and am turned down. So tedious to do this over and over. After simming a day, there might be (insert random # here) less coaches available but I don't know of a way to see who went where. This goes on day after day.

It would be very helpful to have a way to list what team/personnel you are looking for and get feedback on who might be interested and maybe even some indication of interest level. If no one out there has interest in managing my rookie league team, so be it. I would just like to know without going through the daily search over and over.

Some type of log for personnel signings so you know who went where might be a good addition.

Like I said, I've not played with this part of the game much before. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's not important, maybe no one cares but it seems like a part of the game that should either be improved on or scaled way back.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
low
Hall Of Famer

Yes, this area needs a bit of work.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there's room for abuse

you can sign them for an opening (if one exists) on your mlb club, then demote them, if it's a problem filling MiL positions. This likely increases contract costs too. So you don't get to do it for 'free.'

if not challenge mode.. just make your coach a 'mini-me'... lol. one less position to fill.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

I agree 100%. There are few areas of the game that need as much of a refresh as the personnel. Including how they are presented, sorted, signed, retained, what they do, how they interact with you, etc. I literally get a sore finger when doing my personnel because I have to click on so many potential candidates and take a look at their developmental ratings/relationships over and over and over again...
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Twax
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If you go into Front Office -> Personnel and then click on VACANT POSITION or something like that in red it will direct you to a screen with only personnel that will accept that specific job offer.

Say you're looking for a Bench Coach, then it will only list personnel interested in being a Bench Coach for your team.
Twax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twax View Post
If you go into Front Office -> Personnel and then click on VACANT POSITION or something like that in red it will direct you to a screen with only personnel that will accept that specific job offer.

Say you're looking for a Bench Coach, then it will only list personnel interested in being a Bench Coach for your team.
Yes, but that functionality needs to be available when the position is currently filled. Just like RL, I may be searching for my next employee before letting the current one go.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you'll hurt their reputation a bit, but you can demote them before searching. again, need an open spot, which may or may not be available each year.. but usually at least 1 job is open in MiL.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
geoffmatt17
Major Leagues

Also, not being able to sort / toggle at all on whether they have positive or negative marks for "Player Development Influence" and "Player Relationships" can take literally hundreds of clicks to find the best coach for the job.
geoffmatt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Yeah, just so I don't have to do too much with this, in all my saves I set the assistant GM up to handle personnel in the minors and I just take care of MLB.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I agree, this area needs a lot of work. It's not clear to me how much reputation matters, what effect a coach has on a player (or team), and if coaches actually improve their attributes as time goes on.

I think there needs to be more transparency regarding their specific skills and personality, or maybe have those skills make a greater impact during the season. I don't recall if I've read many stories in any of previous games about a player-manager scuffle.

There are dozens if not hundreds of coaches and they all seem the exact same.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Also I think you should be able to hire another team's bench coach or minor league personnel for your vacant MLB spots. There are sometimes hidden gems managing some teams A ball team when they would be a hot candidate for a MLB manager spot with those ratings. And yeah, pretty much I agree with everything else said in this thread. Personnel does need a lot of work IMO
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
jfb8300
Minors (Double A)

AI needs to promote from within too. If AAA coach leaves, all the decent rep mangers below should bump up a level. As is, they just hire a new inexperienced AAA manager. An Outstanding manager can spend his entire life coaching an AI rookie team.
jfb8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #13
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

I am under the impression that the reason for not making these screens easier to navigate is because it will make the game too easy if the best personnel are easy to uncover.

Giving quantitative ratings for coaches is probably not the best for this reason, as there should be some difficulty in finding talented personnel.

I would love if you could scroll via the "up" and "down" keypads like you can in other player screens. It would allow us to search through available personnel with much more ease. As you typically have to read the description for each guy, and look at relationships.

It would also be great if you could set organizational strategies of what you want at each level. I.E contract hitting coaches and contract pitching coaches, and letting the assistant GM handle these duties.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
Also I think you should be able to hire another team's bench coach or minor league personnel for your vacant MLB spots. There are sometimes hidden gems managing some teams A ball team when they would be a hot candidate for a MLB manager spot with those ratings. And yeah, pretty much I agree with everything else said in this thread. Personnel does need a lot of work IMO
This I would love as well.

I also wish you could hide everyone that has no interest in discussing a contract.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #15
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
I am under the impression that the reason for not making these screens easier to navigate is because it will make the game too easy if the best personnel are easy to uncover.

Giving quantitative ratings for coaches is probably not the best for this reason, as there should be some difficulty in finding talented personnel.

I would love if you could scroll via the "up" and "down" keypads like you can in other player screens. It would allow us to search through available personnel with much more ease. As you typically have to read the description for each guy, and look at relationships.

It would also be great if you could set organizational strategies of what you want at each level. I.E contract hitting coaches and contract pitching coaches, and letting the assistant GM handle these duties.

Fog of War is a consideration, but making the UI difficult to navigate is not a good implementation.

It probably needs a full rework, but I would settle for being able to filter for personnel who are willing to sign a contract with me. And/or filter for level they are willing to work at.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #16
Tazilon
Minors (Double A)

My experience has been with the exception of trainers and scouts its pretty much a crap shoot who you hire reputation has zero correlation to ability. I have played leagues in commish mode just to check it out. I have created coa hes with all 200 ratings and after 10 years of coaching they are POOR. Meanwhile another set to 50s is GREAT
Tazilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazilon View Post
My experience has been with the exception of trainers and scouts its pretty much a crap shoot who you hire reputation has zero correlation to ability. I have played leagues in commish mode just to check it out. I have created coa hes with all 200 ratings and after 10 years of coaching they are POOR. Meanwhile another set to 50s is GREAT
Yeah, reputation means nothing in terms of their ability. In fact, all else being equal you want lower reputation guys because they'll cost less money.

Trainers and scouts you can obviously see their abilities in the OOTP interface. But for the rest of the positions, I honestly just download the coaches.csv Excel file to find guys with good enough ratings to hire. It could be seen as cheating, but the game is sort of forcing me to do so because the alternative is just looking through a random list of names -- not very interesting gameplay.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote