Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #1
Alaric410
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Why do Free Agents file much later than they do in real MLB

In MLB, players actually become free agents the day after the World Series ends, rather than several weeks later as appears to be the case in OOTP.

In MLB, teams have until five days after the end of the World Series to clear the 60-day DL, by which time the free agents have exited the roster.

OOTP therefore has a 40-man roster crunch that does not exist in real life, because players are required to be removed from the 60-day DL while soon-to-be free agents are still on rosters.

It's possible to get around this to a degree by releasing players who you don't plan to re-sign, but it's artificial and of course the AI is not going to do it.
Alaric410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I would assume it has to do with arbitration and compensated players. As technically compensated players are free agents unless they accept the offer. But in a game you still need them part of the team till they actually refuse.

Kind of same thing with arbitration. As you can refuse it letting the player become a free agent.

If you have service time and roster limits in the minors you might have to cut 30 guys before free agency. Depending how many people were on the minor league DL you had to get replacements. Season ends and you have 30-40 guys coming off DL but no spots.

I can't play without roster limits and service time active. It bothers me when there are 100+ guys at AAA or AA.

You can trade guys who are on your 40 man before free agency starts. I do that to clear a couple players out sometimes.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I have had them file later because they had a contract offer from me so I wonder if they were in middle of contract negotiation with various teams ????? just a thought
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Getting back to the original question, there are severe roster AI problems if the commissioner moves the free agent filing day earlier. OOTP has to do it the way it does to avoid far worse problems.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Getting back to the original question, there are severe roster AI problems if the commissioner moves the free agent filing day earlier. OOTP has to do it the way it does to avoid far worse problems.

What are the consequences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote