Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Royals - Just a helpless feeling.

Only two and a half years removed from the 2014 - '15 World Series and the Royals look like an absolute train wreck. I can't find any fault with Ned Yost. He has to use what he has (or lack thereof). This almost seems like one really long spring training instead of a regular season! Thoughts?
What say you, Airdrop??
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

I mean, we all knew this was what we were signing up for to make the run in 14 and 15. They don’t win without the Greinke deal. They don’t win without dealing Odorizzi, Montgomery and Myers. They don’t win without dealing Manea, Finnegan. I could go on and on...

Ventura getting killed changes everything too. It forced them to sign Hammel. It changes all sorts of things depth wise.

An emotional sign of Gordon hurts. But that’s not the cause. Kennedy has been a huge problem. They were way out too high in payroll to sustain it after they depleted the system to win.

I’m glad they did. I used to get so pissed having Royals fans and media weirdos all talking about A level prospects constantly. A bunch of sabremetric dudes (Rany Jayzerli, anyone? Dude should stick to dermatology) for years bemoaning all the moves that won them the series. There is no way to quantify how huge the deal for Cain, Odorizzi and yes, Escobar, was. That enabled further the Shields Davis deal. There is no way to quantify that either. Those two deals changed the clubhouse from hopelessness of “maybe ALL of these prospects will pan out” to “we are a legit MLB ball club with MLB caliber talent up and down the roster.” It enabled signings like Madson and Volquez and for that matter, Infante (I could put some great video of he and Escobar defense throughout 15).

So, now is the time to pay the tab. The depleted system is the price and the necessity for taking advantage of the time limited opportunity that was there. It’s just reality that we have to start over again. We aren’t the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Angels, Dodgers, etc. If they do a good job on the TV contract in a couple of years, it will help. I can’t see them getting back to truly competitive baseball before 2021 at the earliest, though.

It’s just what we have as a fan in this market. Dayton is a old school guy and he can see talent. But we aren’t going to be able to get it in free agency. It’s a price he knew we were paying in 13,14 and 15.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 06-17-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

small market teams usually have a small window to win

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Yeah, in fact, I remember the underlying buzz during the playoff / WS runs. I can remember people pointing out the Hosmer/Cain/Moose contracts and losing them because they would ask astronomical money. I think a good majority of Royals fans knew this was coming, but, man....this is abysmal! I really and honestly didn't think we would rival the 2000's Royals, but boy, it's getting that kind of feel!
I thought we would be bad, but not horrifically, terribly, good God bad!

Maybe it's me...maybe I am jumping the gun to others, but, I believe it's time for Danny Duffy to go. Is it just me?

Last edited by ForeverRoyalKC; 06-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Well, why would you deal him now? He’s slumping. You couldn’t get anything g for him. He’s locked up to a favorable deal. And he is far and away their most talented pitcher.

He’s terribly inconsistent this year. But that is this year. Royals fans have to stop expecting players to play beyond what their abilities dictate. He’s not an ace and won’t be an ace. Guess what? There’s not that many aces in baseball, though.

So, no, I don’t think they should trade or release Danny. He could also be a helluva 2 inning closer.

I just think that you’ll see middling prospects for a while. They should keep Mondesi in AAA for next year too. I do not want him anywhere near a team where Mike Moustakas is the leading “personality.” I love that they signed him. To trade him. He’s a jerk and has been.

A bunch of people argued with me about Hosmer... the best thing Hosmer (and Cain) did for the Royals was to bring a stable, mature, professional attitude. Without that, and without talent, I can only imagine how much the clubhouse sucks. Gordo is a pro, but he’s not a vocal one. And he’s shouldn’t have to be.. you can’t make a guy be something he’s not, and never was...he’s a workaholic but he, and Escobar, and maybe Soler...who is sort of an enigma, are about the only ones.

Moose, Whit, Duda, Herrera, even Salvy (who I love but I have a reason I’d be willing to deal him)are trade bait in my book.

If someone wants Salvy, I’d make them take Kennedy too. Maybe even Kennedy and Hammel to get Perez. If they’re don’t agree, Salvy stays.

Face it. They’re going to lose 210 over 18 and 19.

P.S.:
Cal Eldred is a brutal excuse for a pitching coach. The entire “go to the windup” thing as a way to supposedly stop Duffy tipping pitches was RIDICULOUS. He’s not locating, and it’s a huge issue. I think he’s hurt but who knows.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 06-17-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

So much for keeping Mondesi down. This one makes my head hurt.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Now Moustakas tossed yelling from the dugout because he's too selfish to lay off the training table and gets gunned at the plate, upheld by replay (though it was close), in a 2-2 game.

We signed him to trade him. It was a good move. Let's get on with it.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

one thing I am tired of hearing about on royals forums is bubba starling. might as well dump him now, he's wasting a slot on the 40-man and with his track record in the minors I doubt he'll ever produce positive WAR in the majors
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Now Moustakas tossed yelling from the dugout because he's too selfish to lay off the training table and gets gunned at the plate, upheld by replay (though it was close), in a 2-2 game.

We signed him to trade him. It was a good move. Let's get on with it.

well first someone has to offer something valuable for him

if all they get is a PTBNL quality, might as well keep Moose
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #10
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Look at this crap. I don’t even like Ian Kennedy but he should just call in sick. This is a ridiculous lineup. I mean, they are the Rangers so who knows but this looks to be Bartolo Colon’s night.
Attached Images
Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #11
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Look at this crap. I don’t even like Ian Kennedy but he should just call in sick. This is a ridiculous lineup. I mean, they are the Rangers so who knows but this looks to be Bartolo Colon’s night.
I think the Royals match up well against Colon. he's the type of pitcher the Royals tend to do well against.

its the no-name AAAA pitchers that every other team beats up that gives the Royals fits
Old 06-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoofe View Post
I think the Royals match up well against Colon. he's the type of pitcher the Royals tend to do well against.

its the no-name AAAA pitchers that every other team beats up that gives the Royals fits
I’ll have what you’re having. That’s some good stuff. That lineup doesn’t match up well against anyone above the age of 18 and below the age of 55.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #13
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Yep, back to my "this seems like a long spring training" sentiment.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
ThePelvicWoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

We knew this was coming. There was no way we could afford to keep the whole bunch together. I'm not disappointed at all with the team in 2018. 2016 and 2017 were the years to be disappointed.

Moose and Whit are probably going to get traded, so it's going to get even worse. The rest of this season is going to be a tough watch, but there's still reasons to watch. Keller and Junis look promising and should factor into the starting rotation throughout the rebuild. Soler had some moments before he got hurt, Mondesi is now up and I still think he could be decent, Bonifacio should be back up before too long. But yeah, this year will be a drag.

Next season should be a little more exciting. The team will still be pretty rough but the pitchers we just drafted will start working their way in and maybe someone like Nicky Lopez or even Khalil Lee will be ready
ThePelvicWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 AM   #15
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Ok....ummm....we all knew this was coming. And....we knew we would be bad. But....this is just....umm....I honestly, seriously, absolutely, really didn't think we would be THIS bad.
This could be the worst team ever. And I do remember the 2004 104 loss team. We (Royals fans) hoped we wouldn't see another debacle like THAT again. But........
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
ThePelvicWoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This isn't 2004

This terrible season is a direct consequence of the Cueto/Zobrist trades that let us win the world series in 2015. I get it, it's not fun to watch this team now, but I would think most Royals fans would agree that it was worth it.
ThePelvicWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #17
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, everybody in that lineup had a hit!

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #18
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Escobar starting in CF. Yep, just like I said......like a long spring training.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:29 PM   #19
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Escobar starting in CF. Yep, just like I said......like a long spring training.
for some reason Yost thinks he is undroppable
Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Keller has been a bright spot, as a rule-5 pickup

Whit has been solid as usual.

and I like what I've seen from this Herrera they picked up off waivers. he's no Cain but he's better than Almonte or Goins