Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
ButtersFTW
Minors (Single A)

Has anyone simmed if Bos didnt sell Babe Ruth

curious to the results. How many world series. Did they become a Yankee type dynasty?
ButtersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

10 sims of this scenario would result in 10 different - to varying degrees - results. Factors that would play a huge role include your settings for historical transactions, development/recalc, trades on/off, injuries...

In addition to setting up a custom game to your liking and getting deeply involved in a long-term sim, one of the fun things to do now and then with OOTP is to spend just a few minutes setting up a what-if sim, letting it run for X sim years (which may take less than an hour), and then jumping in to see the results. I suggest you give this a try, and then report back on just how the Sox fared with The Bambino!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i've done it. they are good, but don't dominate year in and out. Ruth, however, has a stellar career, but just not quite Ruthian.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Got one going right now in my latest dynasty. Entering the 1929 season and Ruth has been dominant but no where near as much as in real life but injuries have been a big factor, including a broken ankle that cost him most of 1926.

The Red Sox have 4 pennants and 1 World Series title during Ruth's time while the Yankees have a pair of pennants and 1 WS without him but both of theirs were before 1920.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 03-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I had a whole dynasty based on that (See my Signature) Sadly I lost that league file in the great computer crash of 2015.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
GDawg
Minors (Double A)

Have started a Twenties league in which Ruth is still on the Red Sox, but I'm taking it slow, only in 1920 so far. Ruth seems strong, and had several multi homer games already, but the Red Sox have some pitching woes, let's see if they can compete with the White Sox (which I kept in tact, no Black Sox scandal -or at least no bans-), the Indians and the Yankees in the AL. Heck even the Browns were very good in those days. Other feature in this league will be that I break the color barrier in possibly 1925, which might turn things upside down second half of the decade. Going to be fun to see how it works out, I'll post a dynasty report later.

Last edited by GDawg; 04-03-2017 at 08:52 PM.
GDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #7
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Apparently my Sim-Ruth never discovered the wonders of beer and became a 40-40 man. I never let him pitch, converted him to an every day player ASAP.

My team bears little resemblance to the real 20's sox (been simming since 1901) other than Leonard and Pennock, so I can't predict how this would change the Sox historically speaking, it's juts an ootp oddity I found interesting

He's still a monster though.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

...at age 38 after a paltry 5.0 WAR season, probably contracted a case of retiring because Jimmy Foxx broke his AL HR title streak at 16 seasons.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Diagnosed with retiring? Sure, the one ailment I would like to have and I can't seem to catch it.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Diagnosed with retiring? Sure, the one ailment I would like to have and I can't seem to catch it.

I'd want it for more than 12 months as well.

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
stevenpny1
Bat Boy

No...however the one thing I always found odd is when I did Historical Seasons Open...Babe Ruth was always a Pitchers and a really great one at that...never the hitter when I leave it to the computer.
stevenpny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
Levistus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenpny1 View Post
No...however the one thing I always found odd is when I did Historical Seasons Open...Babe Ruth was always a Pitchers and a really great one at that...never the hitter when I leave it to the computer.
Because Babe Ruth was an incredible pitcher before he decided to hit because he wanted to play more.

One of the weaknesses of the Ai is recognizing when to swap a position from pitcher to everyday player. You can use that to your advantage sometimes.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
mjj55409
All Star Starter

I just started one in 1919, currently at Opening Day of 1928. I have recalc off, development engine on. Ruth has been good (leading the league in HR since 1918), but not quite Ruthian. He has been bothered by niggling injuries the past few years. Nothing major, but enough to keep him to less than 130 games. In spring training of 1928 however he had a pretty serious concussion that will keep him out for 4-5 months. We'll see how he comes back after that.

Interestingly, Boston also drafted Gehrig. I was imagining Murder's Row setting up in Fenway. Not to be as Gehrig has not panned out. He was given a couple of chances to crack Boston's lineup, but he didn't do well. Contact rating dropped precipitously. He was released and signed by the White Stockings. Currently sitting on Chicago's reserve list.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #14
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

I started in 1912 with historical minors on. color barrier on, in a historical test league. I just wanted to see how well the minors worked in a sim. Now that I'm in 1932 I may start over around 1890 with minors on, color barrier off, to see what happens.
Ruth signed with Boston in 1914 and is the best HR hitter of the day but not as big as IRL. His 48 hr's in 1927 is third highest for single season. Boston dominated in Ruth's first ten years. 8 WS, won 5 and then the bottom fell out. Scrapped for money they traded Ruth to Washington in 1931 who in turned traded him to Detroit in 1932.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1492168859

The minors started with the Federal league in 1914-15 and then in 1919 with the Texas League. Gehrig showed up in 1921 and was immediately signed by Pittsburgh. They took over from the Redsox and won the NL pennant 5 times, WS 3, in the next 10 years. It's pretty cool with real minors on that the star players may not end up on their original teams.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1492169356
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1492169392

Joe DiMaggio just showed up in the PCL on the San Francisco Seals. They aren't affiliated with a MLB team so he will go to the highest bidder.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1492169644
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Ruth retired after the 1935 season with 501 HR's. He was soon passed by Lou Gehrig as the all time HR leader. He won 9 MVP's and 7 WS. 5 with Boston and two with Detroit.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&d=1492923555
Attached Images
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #16
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

I started a historical league that began in 1920, no reserve clause. I set up fictional contracts so that it wouldn't essentially be a league wide redraft in 1921.

It worked for the most part, but for some reason the Yankees didn't extend Ruth's contract and he became a free agent. He signed a long term deal with Detroit. I'm in 1924 now and I've basically had the same results as others in this thread. Detroit is always a contender, won the series in 1921, but they haven't been nearly as dominant as the early 20's Yankee teams.

This Ruth is pretty close to the historical Ruth, he's won the AL MVP every year and has been the best player in the game. But he hasn't had a season quite to level of the real 20 and 21 seasons. He's strangely never reached the 50 home run mark, closest was 49 in 1923.

Last edited by Jerry Helper; 05-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

One of the things that fascinates me regarding Ruth staying in Boston is how hampered (comparably anyway) he would have been at Fenway Park in comparison to Yankee Stadium.

People look at Pesky Pole and go OMG lefty bat advantage but the curvature of the walls makes that a lot tougher for LH HR hitters than people think. IRL Ruth hit .026 less in BA and .114 less in SLG at Fenway Park than he did at Yankee Stadium.

Yankee Stadium: 259 HR in 3,633 PA
Fenway Park (Pro-Rated): 141 HR in 3,633 PA

Upon creation, early Yankee Stadium had very close fences. LF line was 281 in 1923 and 301 by 1928. RF line was 295 through 1930 and still 296 in 1939.

In the 1930s, Fenway Park's Green Monster shifted from 321 down to 312 and back to 315 by 1936. RF line was 314 in 1921 but pushed back to 358 by 1930 (and 1933) before hitting the 332-334 range in the late 1930s. It really wasn't until 1940 that the line settled down to the now known 304 range.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #18
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Another interesting scenario involving the Yankees and Red Sox is swapping Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote